Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    thank you and nice post.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That was a really good ask Cryptic, they were great questions. In house pvp for the Klingons is a great touch i'm glad they're putting the effort in to make the Klingon faction totally different. As a fed i'm glad we won't have a cloak it's going to keep the tension in the combat just like the old movies.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the stuff about the ships sounded interesting. it sounds like what i said in another thread. if you want a "star rek" expereince and to do lots of different stuff like they do in the shows (Exploration, Science, Diplomacy, First Contact, Rescues, Combat, Mysteries) then your gonna need one of the big exploror ships to have an even spread of equipment, abilities. plus they have basicly said, the bigger the ship, the bigger the crew you have to draw on. as in my above point.

True but if you want to excel in one of those fields we'll probably be better off going with a specialized ship rather than a Galaxy jack of all trades master of none type.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    good stuff cryptic!

too bad about no "line of fire". there were many instances where ships got between the enemy and their target.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rgoodfel wrote: »

Thanks for answering my question. This answer makes me so happy I would explode. I was worried that you would give cloaking to all the ships and I agree that isn't ST. I am also happy that the Feds will have a good counter because cloaks being a I win button is not fun. However, that just means that thous science ships have a large target painted on them now :D
    AtomicNerd wrote: »
    Will cloak be like “sneak” in some games where once you’ve been spotted you can’t go back into it? Because if not being in a federation science ship is going to get you killed really quick.

They’ll be tactically weaker than anyone else involved and the only thing between Klingons being able to successfully cloak or not. That’s a pretty big bull’s-eye to wear into a fight.

I like addition of the names with the questions.
    AtomicNerd wrote: »
    Cloaks are banned because of the Treaty of Algeron not the Khitomer Accords.

Now if we end up at war with the Romulans then it will make no sense. The fact that there’s no planet left to sneak up on in the first place makes sticking with the Treaty of Algeron already hard enough to make sense of but it is what it is.

I think they kept it on one side because they’re worried it might be 80% Federation 20% Klingon at launch and this will help even it out. I’m not thrilled with it but it’s not an unrealistic concern.

Algaron. That's right, I get them two mixed up for some reason. However, the Romulan's empire is in ruins and the government that signed that treaty doesn't even exist now. So again, wouldn't see it as stepping off canon.

All of you have made great points, and I am going to make some points keeping it in the context of the game, specifically the PvP part.

So, the only place this is really going to have any significance is in PvP situations. I think we can all agree on that. With that being said, you think now about your wessel that you want to go into combat with. I do not know about you guys, but I do not want to be caught deep in the NZ with a ship that can "scan" the hell out of something. I want one that can blast the hell out of something.

Soooo, you want people to PvP but you give one side a massive advantage, and force the other side to have to come in to battle with a crutch.

Not to mention that probably the majority of people who choose science wessels are going to lean towards PvE and leave very slim pick'ns for those who will need the services of the science ships.

Another possibility, this decision is going to force people to play something they do not want to play to help out their fleet. That isn't fun, that's a chore. I just see this decision causing a huge imbalance. Especially if science wessels are the only ships that can detect cloaked ships.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Really liked this one. Lots of really nice tidbits. Especially liked the part about the ship classes not becoming totally worthless as you advance... just the new ships are able to mount newer tech on them. Want this game. WANT IT.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    obviously we have to wait to see what happens to the Romulan "Empire" but lets be frank they are now a third rate power, IF they allie with federation or simply cease to exist (reunification happens) why on earth does the Federation not have Cloacking tech. We know for a FACT that federation has actually designed a better cloak then that of the Romulans. I just hope youve installed the appropriate sensor arrays etc. in pvp zones because all pvp will end up with a fleet of klingon vessels cloaked waiting for the odd federation vessel to come near.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Like everything but the Connies being in game...that's like Halo having a musket....plain stupid and nothing but fan service and totally illogical given the era of the game...might as well give me an Uzi instead of a phaser...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Powerhelm wrote: »
    Like everything but the Connies being in game...that's like Halo having a musket....plain stupid and nothing but fan service and totally illogical given the era of the game...might as well give me an Uzi instead of a phaser...

Ahh but it isnt about function. With a Connie in yer stable its like...having that 67 Cadillac (A Cadillac with Warp Drive) that you had restored sittin in your garage. Ya only take it for a spin on a Friday night or Sunday morning, just for the sheer joy of it. If something happens along the way, all the more adventure and fun!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    J.L.Picard wrote: »
    obviously we have to wait to see what happens to the Romulan "Empire" but lets be frank they are now a third rate power, IF they allie with federation or simply cease to exist (reunification happens) why on earth does the Federation not have Cloacking tech. We know for a FACT that federation has actually designed a better cloak then that of the Romulans. I just hope youve installed the appropriate sensor arrays etc. in pvp zones because all pvp will end up with a fleet of klingon vessels cloaked waiting for the odd federation vessel to come near.

I find statements like this very amusing. Everyone seems to think that PVP will be imbalanced because the Klingons will have the ability to cloak, and that every Federation player will be ganked by the Klingon players.

I've played a lot of MMO's, and I've been ganked a lot. Its my experience that no matter what, gankings will take place. Its unavoidable, and its happened to me in Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and every other game.

I really don't see the Federation with such a huge weakness here. PvP is concensual, so the odd Federation vessel entering into the Neutral zone alone is just demanding to be ganked.

Hope I didn't de-rail the thread.

Thanks for the information, Zinc!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahh but it isnt about function. With a Connie in yer stable its like...having that 67 Cadillac (A Cadillac with Warp Drive) that you had restored sittin in your garage. Ya only take it for a spin on a Friday night or Sunday morning, just for the sheer joy of it. If something happens along the way, all the more adventure and fun!

Agreed, it's also possible he was referencing the Excalibur class.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Agreed, spore-atic missions (ie a constant barage) do tend to bog down the game... but, just as in Spore, i imagine you have the ability not to respond to the treats/missions. It's just you'll be setting a reputation for yourself about being non-responsive and have to deal with the concequences.

I thought the statement was interesting that "you’re choosing between Starfleet and the Klingons". Does that mean you cannot be sided on the Romulan part of the action, or Cardassian?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    woo hooooo

more good stuff to sink our teath into ... (and believe me the natives were getting restless !)

:eek:

lol !

looking forward to more of the good stuff from ya Rekhan

thanks !

:cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Agree with your comment about Connie in the game. It's like having a classic car to joy ride in. As for having an Uzi instead of a phaser...might be useful... heck the Klingons still use their versions of Knives and Swords! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    T.ruk_Grax wrote: »
    I thought the statement was interesting that "you’re choosing between Starfleet and the Klingons". Does that mean you cannot be sided on the Romulan part of the action, or Cardassian?

Not at launch, though they are mentioned as future expansions.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

agreed you are vary wise and logical JohnluckPikerd
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    osena wrote: »
    agreed you are vary wise and logical JohnluckPikerd

Thanks. I would love to have a Constellation class as well in that garage...:)
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hey that's why Kirk got all the hot alien chicks... cause he rolled in a fine starship.

Now not to be totally off topic I'm gonna talk about cloaking. As for the "no cloak" treaty it would still be in affect. Legally speaking, a treaty is binding whether the nation you made it with is weaker or stronger than when you first made it. It's not like the Romulan government has totally disappeared. If you look at the Path to 2409 articles their problems isn't a lack of government but too much of it; 3 worlds declare themselves the new capital. It's too bad there isn't a Romulan faction... it would be fun to wheel & deal, backstab, spy, and assassinate to make sure that your section of the Empire came out over the other two.

And just a side note. They did not say that only science ships could detect cloaked vessels. Rather they implied that science ships were better at it (I assume they have a greater range).
    Klingons, of course, will have access to cloaking, and the Federation will have access to cloak detection. Science vessels will be very good at detecting cloaked ships
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I love the Ask Cryptic volume 11. Great questions Forum members :) And great detail answers Dev team. This sound like it going to be my MMO. I love that Federation ships will receive limited access to a cloaking device. And the need for science vessels. YES!!! Klingons will have houses. I just hope Klingons have good PVE too. I like that higher ships will have little difference between each other just more options for some. I don't know I like it all :p hmmm I just need my DeLorean and reach 88 MPH and I will be playing STO later today :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    very nice questions
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can see it now A fleet of Klingon Ships vs a fleet of Federation ships. The first thing a Klingon Leader will say target the science vessels! After all the Science vessels is destroy then the Federation ship will be blind muhahahahaha. cry havoc let slip the dogs of war!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwTW6EzY1c&feature=related
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No path based weapons? Are you kidding me?!? So we can magically shoot through a starship to hit another ship on the other side of it? Why Cryptic, whyyyyyyyyy . . . . :(
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No path based weapons? Are you kidding me?!? So we can magically shoot through a starship to hit another ship on the other side of it? Why Cryptic, whyyyyyyyyy . . . . :(

I'm hoping that it is just worded weird...hopefully. I would be quite sad if line of sight didn't matter at all, they keep talking about placement, but one key strategy I would think would work is weaker ships being "shielded" by larger ships...tactically it works, and it would be sad to see people shooting through all kinda of things and still getting hits.

Although, I just think we are interpreting what he said wrong, I would think that "line of sight" would still come into play, so if you were to position yourself between 2 ships firing at each other, that you wouldn't necessarily be intercepting their fire(because they can't target eachother, so they can't fire). Who knows though.

Although I'm really not all that fond of their direction on ships, I would think that an "end game" ship, should have a huge advantage over a starter ship, not just a small one. While I would enjoy cruising around in my favorite "classic" ship, I surely wouldn't expect it to put up "comparable numbers" to a "top of the line" vessel. It doesn't make sense from a canon or gameplay perspective.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    phifur wrote: »
    I can see it now A fleet of Klingon Ships vs a fleet of Federation ships. The first thing a Klingon Leader will say target the science vessels! After all the Science vessels is destroy then the Federation ship will be blind muhahahahaha. cry havoc let slip the dogs of war!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwTW6EzY1c&feature=related

That's actually a good tactic. My question now is, will the science vessels have an uplink to the other ships and automatically transfer sensor data.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One thing that bothered me was the fact that you have to be a science vessel to detect cloaked ships. In the series' and movies the crew would always try to find a way to detect any residual traces when on board the Galaxy or Intrepid. Sometimes they would find a way to detect a cloaked vessel.

I don't think you should have to play a specific type of ship just to find them. That sounds like it would be boring to me. Everyone else firing phasers and torpedoes and I'm just sitting there scanning... and then they blow me up in a few shots.

Also I think it would be cool and fun if they also allowed the federation side to have wars of some type, like the Maquis(except not them because they were eliminated but something similar). Someone on one of the first pages made a comment about that and I agree with them, but I doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TruthSeer wrote: »
    That's actually a good tactic. My question now is, will the science vessels have an uplink to the other ships and automatically transfer sensor data.

That a good question
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I can understand some don't want to fight. But you should make certain areas mandatory PvP. For instance, you entering the Neutral Zone, that alone is concenting to PvP. But you can still be jumped, not knowing if there is a Klingon starship nearby.

I really love you Azurian, you really should read the enitre post rather then just skimming it(would think after 1000+ posts you would know to fully read before commenting), because the sentence directly after what you quoted, states certain zones are mandatory PvP.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    warbot7777 wrote: »
    One thing that bothered me was the fact that you have to be a science vessel to detect cloaked ships. In the series' and movies the crew would always try to find a way to detect any residual traces when on board the Galaxy or Intrepid. Sometimes they would find a way to detect a cloaked vessel.

I didn't take it as you had to be a science vessel, it just says that they are very good at it. Kind of like (ok not really but still) you don't have to be a Defiant to blow stuff up, it's just really good at it.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    warbot7777 wrote: »

I don't think you should have to play a specific type of ship just to find them. That sounds like it would be boring to me. Everyone else firing phasers and torpedoes and I'm just sitting there scanning... and then they blow me up in a few shots.

If I read the dev's answer right, all Federation ships have a chance to detect cloaked ships it's just the science ships are much better at it than everyone else. Is that what everyone else got from that or am I just loopy?
    :D
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Loyaltrekie, appricate the observation. :rolleyes:
    TruthSeer wrote: »
    Agreed, it's also possible he was referencing the Excalibur class.

Sorry, but the way he described it as an "older ship" that means it is the Consitution. After all the Excalibur is new.