test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Read the FAQ (August 12, 2008)

12346»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    A F.A.Q. just like I like them full of info that I wanted to know!
    edited August 2008
    Pierce28 wrote: »
    Very cool! However, I'm surprised I haven't seen this question yet - what happens to your ship when you are on an away mission? Does it just orbit the planet, vulnerable to attack, or will it vanish?

i think it just orbit the planet how about when your in a battle do you die or do yo get another ship:)
    edited August 2008
    You guys said you haven't decided on a price yet, but you know, everything good in life is free.:D
    edited August 2008
    BBGamer wrote: »
    You guys said you haven't decided on a price yet, but you know, everything good in life is free.:D

And every "free" thing in life sucks. Well, most of it does.
    edited August 2008
    Guys, can someone please just put a tenative go live date up? I've spent the last 15min looking for one thing...an indication of when you'll likely have this off the ground. :confused:
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind PC players and Console players being able to play on the same server together. as long as the PC version is not dumbed down just to accomodate the limited input capacity of console interfaces. If I am playing on a PC, then I had better be able to have full hotkey support and all of the in-depth interface options of a full-blown PC-only MMO, even if the console players must make do without such features.

The way technology is advancing, within the next three years, there will likely be keyboard and mouse add-ons for all of the mainstream consoles, which will allow those player to experience the full input features.

All though it was never officially confirmed or denied, supposedly, the dumbing down of Star Wars Galaxies that occurred with the NGE was a precursor to the launching of that game on the console. The interface was simplified way down and no longer could be customized. I think that what threw a wet blanket on their plans was the fact that so many people left the game because they hated the changes. The outlook couldn't have been good for the investors whose money would have been rding on a PC-to-console port deal.

Oh SWG is much better these days, but it took them three years to get it that way, and still they have a lot of work to do.

So again... As long as the PC version of the game is not dumbed down to accomodate console players who do not have a keyboard and mouse, I'll be fine. But if it IS dumbed down in that way, I promise that I will not waste my money on it. Not to buy it and certainly not to subscribe to it.

With the keyboard/mouse hardware available for the Xbox 360 & PS3 I wouldn't see any need for Cryptic to dumb down the game like SWG was. SWG was dumb down due to Sony wanted to release the game on PS2 which doesn't have that kind of hardware available or at least didnt at 1st.

Dumbest mistake LucasArts ever did was give Sony rights to make changes to the game. Sony did the same to Everquest & Matrix per my understand and that's why the developer specificly doesn't allow Sony to make changes to Everquest II per what I've read. Sony only host the servers now. Cryptic if you use Sony to host I suggest not allowing them to make changes. Everything they touch turns to sh** in the MMO world. They don't have a good understanding of what makes an MMO attractive. They only care about what makes their PS2's and PS3's sell.
    edited September 2008
    Fischfaust wrote: »
    I loved E&B. I was a baffled by its' 'twilight' as anyone.

As long as Electronic Arts has nothing to do with STO, It's life span will be determined by the player base and developers, and not by some executive who dislikes games and wants to save a penny.

X

Yeah.. I loved E&B also. Played it to the bitter end. EA really had a gem and just didn't know it. I think it would be a huge MMO today if they had kept it up and updated. It was one of the earliest sci-fi MMO's that I know of and would have competed nicely even today IMO.
    edited September 2008
    I've seen alot of questions on here, but don't think I've seen this one. Will a single account be allowed multiple toons? Say 1 Federation and 1 Klingon (along with others as the other empires become availalbe). I think that would be great.

If doing 1 big server I guess their could be problems with that, but then again it would allow for spy missions for the PVP part if wanted. If doing several big servers then you could allow 1 fed on 1 server and 1 kligon on a 2nd server possibly.

Guess it will all be answered over time though.
    edited September 2008
    bunkdawg wrote: »
    Cryptic if you use Sony to host I suggest not allowing them to make changes. Everything they touch turns to sh** in the MMO world. They don't have a good understanding of what makes an MMO attractive.

I wouldn't worry... no one in their right mind would trust SOE and their cretinous CEO with a new MMORPG after the SWG fiasco.

I'm hoping Bioware pull an ace with KotOR Online and kill SWG for once and for all - the final nail in the coffin. That'll leave Lucas(f)Arts with a failed MMORPG from one of the best i.p.'s to ever grace the genre.

Way to go, Smedley. I quote the old Urban Dictionary definition of "Smed" long delete by much remembered:

"SMED": to interfere with ones gaming enjoyment. To drastically alter something which is enjoyed by thousands. To pull a Smed - Jeez - those developers pulled a Smed on SWG big time.

:mad:
    edited September 2008
    Nice FAQ, guys. I'm sure there'll be more questions to answer as we go along, though.
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind PC players and Console players being able to play on the same server together. as long as the PC version is not dumbed down just to accomodate the limited input capacity of console interfaces. If I am playing on a PC, then I had better be able to have full hotkey support and all of the in-depth interface options of a full-blown PC-only MMO, even if the console players must make do without such features.

The way technology is advancing, within the next three years, there will likely be keyboard and mouse add-ons for all of the mainstream consoles, which will allow those player to experience the full input features.

All though it was never officially confirmed or denied, supposedly, the dumbing down of Star Wars Galaxies that occurred with the NGE was a precursor to the launching of that game on the console. The interface was simplified way down and no longer could be customized. I think that what threw a wet blanket on their plans was the fact that so many people left the game because they hated the changes. The outlook couldn't have been good for the investors whose money would have been rding on a PC-to-console port deal.

Oh SWG is much better these days, but it took them three years to get it that way, and still they have a lot of work to do.

So again... As long as the PC version of the game is not dumbed down to accomodate console players who do not have a keyboard and mouse, I'll be fine. But if it IS dumbed down in that way, I promise that I will not waste my money on it. Not to buy it and certainly not to subscribe to it.

i play on both pc and console and love playing on them both however i must agree with you that that the PC version must not suffer because i played C&C3 on the PC and then got it for 360 and the interface was dumbed down and it sucked! so i will be getting this game for the PC because it is simply better for this type of game
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't worry... no one in their right mind would trust SOE and their cretinous CEO with a new MMORPG after the SWG fiasco.

(( No one except DC studios with DC Universe Online in the works. )).
    edited October 2008
    Shall we assume that the FAQ is the official word and that info from interviews and articles is secondary?
    I know the game is developing and changes in concept (and therefore apparent conflicts) will occur. So I am just wondering what the general guideline is having read the FAQ and then having found much more detailed discussions of topics elsewhere such as in these forums and in Gameinformer. Thanks for any help here.
    edited November 2008
    nice 1 i can not wait