test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Three New Screenshots! (October 9, 2008)

124»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Come on guys! They all look alike! Their mouths all make the same expression. Whats up with that? :eek:
    edited October 2008
    LordDave wrote: »
    Will I be able to have a purple haired human? Because that would be absolutely sweet, even though it breaks canon.

They dont have hair dye in the future? :eek: hehe
    edited October 2008
    The character creation examples are very nice. I am quite impressed!

Will there be any variations in costume design? I understand there will be fleet uniforms that are likely required, but will there be 'off-duty' outfit possibilities?
    edited October 2008
    The screenshots may not be new (considering the faces, as I understand it, was in the magazine), it's new in terms of being officially posted for the forums.

That way those who don't/can't/unable to get the magazine could still see them.

I'm sure that there will be some screenshots coming our way that'll have their public debut on the forums.
    edited October 2008
    ddgrfn11 wrote: »
    They dont have hair dye in the future? :eek: hehe

For a while, hair dye was considered to be taboo. So people rebelled and thus started the Hair Wars!:eek:
    edited October 2008
    I've got to say, the screens really impressed me. I hope they look just like that at release!
    edited October 2008
    they look real good but I would like to see some more screens soon, maybe some ship interiors or something.
    edited October 2008
    Looking at the character model shot again, I noticed that the Red haired blue skinned Romulan has a teal shirt, not blue like the Vulcan pictured in my avatar. Could this possibly mean we have a choice as to colors for the shirts?
    edited October 2008
    Wooh yeah baby keep em coming !
    edited October 2008
    Woot for Andorians!
    QFT = compliments from teh Captains... The Andorian is pure W!N

Falin wrote: »
    Funny all but one of hose characters looks like a 10-14 yr old boy, the other looks like a 10-14 yr old girl, are we seeing thegames targeted demographics here?
    why so young? don't think we ever saw anyone but that weasly guy in uniform under the age of 25.
    IMHO - 5 out of 6 of these characters look a little.......young? Are these fairly early examples of the character models?

^ The Vocal Minority.
    If this is all these guys came up with, it's quite possibly the best compliment of all.

Great Job Cryptic
    edited October 2008
    nice, but i want to see more trailers from the game, not photos.something to keep me interested in this release.i.m a patient man...but..till when?
    edited October 2008
    Cool characters models. Pitty the other two where in the wallpapers :( All good though, thanks!
    edited October 2008
    Those screen shot's were the same one we saw in last months game informer
    edited October 2008
    Nice screens!
    The planetary environment is not been compromised for simplicity and fast rendering, the character models are quite simple yet elegant (all have exactly the same ears though, xcept the top left figure, anybody else noticed this?)
    The 3D space...
    I want a CLOSE UP view on that big asteroid on the left to an angle looking through it towards the planet (sunlight lit asteroid) and a close up view of near the atmosphere of the planet in a few months so I can say that 3D space environment is progressing nicely.

The biggest problem an MMO game project faces is how to find an ingenious base design thus everything that will later emerge as a necessity in the project can fit nicely in the grand scheme.
    That's almost impossible depending of circumstances but lets cross fingers that this is not the case with Cryptic's STO project. :)
    edited October 2008
    QFT = compliments from teh Captains... The Andorian is pure W!N

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Falin View Post
    Funny all but one of hose characters looks like a 10-14 yr old boy, the other looks like a 10-14 yr old girl, are we seeing thegames targeted demographics here?
    why so young? don't think we ever saw anyone but that weasly guy in uniform under the age of 25.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hailing Frequency Zach
    IMHO - 5 out of 6 of these characters look a little.......young? Are these fairly early examples of the character models?
    ^ The Vocal Minority.
    If this is all these guys came up with, it's quite possibly the best compliment of all.

^ The Vocal Minority.

Great Job Cryptic

I will give them an educated answer.

If I took both their real life faces and turn them in to 3D CGI, in the first stages of the creation and rendering both would look young. Extremely young. That is how the procedure works.
    Now I understand these are early models, and they probably need just that, early non detailed models to test against the base project concept to see what does the trick and what doesn't, what blends nicely etc.
    They need not to waste time building full functional, at all ages and stages models for just simple tests, that can always come later after they have decided for a solid project base for everything to connect to.
    edited October 2008
    Orab Ibo wrote:
    Have to agree with SniperCT, the hair does need an overhaul. Guess I was so smitten by the detail in the face that I overlooked it.

I can see that the edges of the hair needs better alpha blending, and the specular lighting is a bit much. But shiny is how hair is, but the specular highlight is to large. It needs to be smaller and toned down. And using texture layers do wonders for hair. Hair almost need 2 layers of well alpha blended textures to give a soft feel. But what I think would do the most good is a increase in texture resolution, where finer hair strands. Right now they look like greased clumps of hair. And a higher res lightmap/bumpmap would be good.

But I think games could start benefiting from pixel shaded hair.

Yes but the general gaming population is not benefiting from what M$ has done with the directx. We have to understand there is a monopoly out there and we cannot have the best outcome at all times.
    There could be better solutions and the game design could have picked up tremendously if alternative philosophies existed didn't require all those resources. For the time everyone is happy with this Nvidia is ATI is M$ is, but except us the players, us that we keep all those alive, all of them exist because of us, yet we get very little back. Modelers can't do wonders, they can only work with what tools they have been provided. Also about OpenGL, sadly it has been left behind.

The hair part is a tricky thing in a human model, it can take a lot of resources or it may not regarding the overall background everything is used against. I would prefer less hair detail if it is going to give me a nice rendered full battle scene of epic proportions, any time anywhere in the game engine. I mean the depth and story line is what drives the theme here, not the hair and how they look, or if you can see time displayed accurately in your avatars wrist watch.
    edited October 2008
    There is one thing they could pay a bit more attention though...

This is a test character, the same girly boy or boyish girl avatar in different races.
    They could make the faces follow the faces of original star trek actors. Not in detail, but in a general way they could be made to draw some resemblance to them. This is not difficult and would not require additional time or resources, just you make the model face look a bit different than the generic prototype, instead of the random face model someone intented to make.

For example that girl could be made a bit to look more like the ships female doctor from "The Next Generation" series, at a younger age for example.

That could give a lot of Star Trek character and feeling to these avatars! :)
    edited October 2008
    Screenshots look great. I really like the red head! (wink wink) Hey, maybe you guys could give me a tour of your studio!
    edited October 2008
    Amazing, loving the character creation. I look forward to one day playing around and making my own species, but I do hope Trill are in there somewhere.
    edited October 2008
    simply amazing. moar please!
    edited October 2008
    I think the terra shot looked pretty good. I also think the charicters are headed in the right direction, but not quite there yet. Example: look at the chacters in Guild Wars. If we're gonna have 'Mini-Skirts' (go Kirk!) the should look good.
    edited October 2008
    Great pics :D These should put a stop to people complaining about the graphics, and fi they still complain, they should sod right off :)
    edited October 2008
    It may seem strange, but the first thing I noticed about the character portraits is that all of their lips had a red tint. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that lips are red because they have more (red) blood near the surface of the skin. But if a character's blood is suposedly green, or blue, or some other color, then that is the color the lips should expose. Having lips tinted red while the charcter has blood of another color is incongruent with the laws of nature....
    edited October 2008
    Your name is disturbingly close to mine!

*random comment*
    edited October 2008
    jasonadlai wrote: »
    Wow. Those character models are incredible. If that's how they look in-game... then I will be very, very pleased. :)
    Agreed. Those are all incredible screen shots... now I just want to make sure that they release this game for either 360 or PS3 so I don't have to go buy a top of the line Alienware to make it look that good on my screen, lol.
    edited October 2008
    I really really like the customization feature...awesome! I also love the screen shots...but if there is something I really want to see is a starship grave yard! That would be awesome! :D
    edited October 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm certain someone inevitably will,) but aren't the red & green navigation lights on the starships on the wrong sides? Isn't the old saying "red, right passing," meaning the red light is on the RIGHT side (from your perspective) if another ship is passing you? i.e., 2 ships travelling in the same direction should be lit red/green, and passing should be lit green/red.

I thought perhaps the image was just flipped, but the registration markings seem to be correct.

Anyone else notice this? :confused:
    edited October 2008
    i like the eye candy, and i hope they don't break canon. which as much research as they doing they proly wont :D
    edited October 2008
    Eryxx wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm certain someone inevitably will,) but aren't the red & green navigation lights on the starships on the wrong sides? Isn't the old saying "red, right passing," meaning the red light is on the RIGHT side (from your perspective) if another ship is passing you? i.e., 2 ships travelling in the same direction should be lit red/green, and passing should be lit green/red.

I thought perhaps the image was just flipped, but the registration markings seem to be correct.

Anyone else notice this? :confused:

Gah! My apologies, the ships I was referring to are in the Wallpaper section, not the Screenshots. So, though my source was a bit off, my observation still stands.
    edited November 2008
    Cannot wait to see what the Gorn come out as ... (that's my fav race of the Trek series)