test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO at Ten Ton Hammer (August 26, 2008)

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    At least he mentioned that they would upgrade the game down the road. Though I do agree making 5 different styles of game play and combining them all at once is a very big challange in the terms of game mechanics.

As for customization of uniform I highly doubt they will not make it that way form the start because they already got the customization programing thier from CO.
    Wouldn't be that hard to design the graphic content for it either would just need to start out with a few small customizations to work with then gradually add more with content pacths.
    edited August 2008
    taggard wrote:
    does anyone know anything about open or closed beta?

aye in about 2-3 years less if were lucky
    edited August 2008
    hum... but what i do want (ok, i'm going to be hammered down) is ship customization. More... much more than char customization.
    edited August 2008
    Only 1 person to a ship is fine for starters, but I really hope this changes. You could increase pace and dynamic nature of the gameplay by letting people team up. Think of this scenario:

Two fighting ships fly into a nebula, automatic targeting doesn't work or is damaged.

Each ship is manned with 3 players, first player at helm to pilot and manage ship systems, the second player on phasers, and the third player on torpedoes.

The helmsman player would carefully navigate the nebula careful not to go into dangerous sections that can detonate because of weapons fire or engine disturbance.

Two weapons players manually target the enemy ship(s) trying to take them out.

Players should be able to exchange their roles anytime, aka change from helm to weapons or vice-versa. Maybe even add other small subtasks like buffing and debuffing while also handling their primary task. There are so many ship systems that can come into play in combat such as shield management, power distribution, tractor beam, and deflector control.

At any rate, three people teamed up could make that fight go much more smooth and professional then one person juggling so many things all at once. This would be perfect for PvE where one ship is against a fleet of less powerful but numerous enemies. Also PvE where multiple ships are against an enemy that is overpowering like the Borg! I think it goes without saying that PvP would benefit from this kind of rapid teamwork on a single ship.
    edited August 2008
    I'm really looking forward to this game :-)
    edited August 2008
    I am glad to hear how detailed the facial and body customizationis but I'm a little worried of how visible that will all be. The face isn't the most visible thing on a Character and almost all of the game I will probably be looking at the back of my character :(. I'm also not too thrilled about limited uniform customization since I liked the different uniforms of over the years. Hopefully they will add clothing for off duty to qwell my need.

I think we might be able to accept similar uniforms so long as Cryptic allows minor tweaks and accessories (headbands, Sashes, Visors, Facial tattos) or maybe just updates the global uniforms just like the Series did over time (ie. changing after a couple years).
    edited August 2008
    i'm just glad to see how much they have accomplished, yet it wont be out for 2 more years.

it just shows that they dont want to TRIBBLE up, and launch too early and have lots of game bugs. like SWG did. nothing is worse then getting a whole bunch of people to join your quest and you venture out for an hour or 2 and have the last part of it not spawn.

and i cant stop watching the trailer.
    edited August 2008
    Now that it's quite clear that Craig Zinkievitch is running the show, and Jack is only supporting him, I'd like to see an interview done with Craig. He is, after all, the man who will be delivering to us STO. Everything to date has focussed on Jack's vision etc. Whilst it most likely would sync in with Craig's, I feel we need to hear more from him.

Good interview, but can the media's please start to annoy Craig!!!!

And can Cryptic please give us a meet and greet with him as well! Give us an interview, an inkling, something more so we can start to connect to Craig, and the work he is currently under taking.

You mean like this one: Q&A with Craig Zinkievich
    edited August 2008
    Sounds awesome!!!
    edited August 2008
    Hi guys & gals. I'm kinda a former trekikie, but I guess we never stop being trekkies. I used to run the website Section31.com while I was in college and once I sold the domain I have honestly have not been interested in Star Trek at all until I heard there was an online game coming out. IIt's about time Star Trek created a game like this because there are so many possibilities involed with the genre. In fact, I gave up running my news website to play Star Wars Galaxies. I had hopes and realized them in making a Dark Jedi Master, which I did achieve before SOE screwed the entire game up and everyone left for WOW on our server.

Truth is this ... World of Warcraft is a grind fest I'm totally sick of it and no longer have fun playing. There are raid schedules you have to keep. Guilds hope you get the 25 players geared for their roles online ... on time and ready to go... as well as prepared ( which NEVER happens ). And if you want to gear doing PvP? ... Takes less help but almost as much time.

I want to experience everthing Star Trek in this game. There are so many possiibilities. It's an endless resource for content... I just want a game that is not a grind fest and totally true to the Trek Universe which offers a hell of a lot of content.

Tim Hansen - Former Section31.com Owner

jedi Mast
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully they will add clothing for off duty to qwell my need
    Tsibao wrote:
    another thought for customization: although we will be most of our time at duty, there will be times were we are not or?

On certain space stations - I hope.

Thanks for the new info guys.

PS. is that our shoutcasting "johnny_sisko" I see in the thread above?
    edited August 2008
    Guys - just to clarify - there WILL be persistent, ground zones. Some missions take place in instances, others don't.

I'll bug Craig to do an interview.
    edited August 2008
    Jackalope wrote: »
    Guys - just to clarify - there WILL be persistent, ground zones. Some missions take place in instances, others don't.

I'll bug Craig to do an interview.

Thanks for the clarification Jackalope. :)
    edited August 2008
    I really like the idea of boundless territory. Also i like the ability to "Create my own Race." :)

One i would like to mention is that i would like to be able to have other human players on my ship, or me on some other players ship. But one way or another i like commanding a ship wether the crew is Npcs or human players.

I would like to see the training be on the halodeck just getting you and your friends together to have some fun with a battle simulation. Anyway one way or antoher this looks like a really good game so far. :)
    edited August 2008
    I've always wanted to visit Earth as it is in Star Trek. Visit the Federation Academy...Federation Headquarters...take the tours and see the sights. LOL

Seriously though, I bet it would be fantastic. :o

I hope the devs have similar thoughts in mind as well.
    edited August 2008
    Only thing I really want to know what we would do for payment. Is it gonna be a pay with credit card:eek:, a buy a card and punch in code, or will they do the uber off chance that we won't pay at all (lol):D.

Either way, looks good, gonna miss the walking onto another persons ship:( but make your own race sounds good :)
    edited August 2008
    Just read this and thankfully they have done away with the silly idea of multiple players controlling one ship. It just wont work, I doubt we will ever see it.
    edited October 2008
    Hi guys & gals. I'm kinda a former trekikie, but I guess we never stop being trekkies. I used to run the website Section31.com while I was in college and once I sold the domain I have honestly have not been interested in Star Trek at all until I heard there was an online game coming out. IIt's about time Star Trek created a game like this because there are so many possibilities involed with the genre. In fact, I gave up running my news website to play Star Wars Galaxies. I had hopes and realized them in making a Dark Jedi Master, which I did achieve before SOE screwed the entire game up and everyone left for WOW on our server.

Truth is this ... World of Warcraft is a grind fest I'm totally sick of it and no longer have fun playing. There are raid schedules you have to keep. Guilds hope you get the 25 players geared for their roles online ... on time and ready to go... as well as prepared ( which NEVER happens ). And if you want to gear doing PvP? ... Takes less help but almost as much time.

I want to experience everthing Star Trek in this game. There are so many possiibilities. It's an endless resource for content... I just want a game that is not a grind fest and totally true to the Trek Universe which offers a hell of a lot of content.

Tim Hansen - Former Section31.com Owner

jedi Mast
    This is exactly why we need individual player ships, lol. Props to you guys for getting that part right. I played Final Fantasy 11 (mmorpg) and loved it... but it was the same way. Couldn't do anything without the help of level capped players... couldn't find people to do missions with any more... updates were rare and when they came out, they didn't balance with the rest of the game, etc.

The playability in STO sounds great, not only because you can do what you want when you want to, but because you'll be able to play solo as much as you want (with the exception of larger battles and instanced events, I'm sure). You can work together when you want to, but you won't have to all the time. This will mean the game will last longer and will be playable even after the initial players stop playing (... if they ever stop playing. ^^ )