test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

View the Las Vegas Webcast

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Our live webcast from Las Vegas may be over, but that doesn't mean you missed out!

Jack Emmert, chief creative officer of Cryptic Studios, was joined on stage by legendary Star Trek actor Leonard Nimoy. Jack talked about Cryptic's plans for Star Trek Online, answered questions and showed the first in-engine footage from the game!

Check out our video page to see everything that happened!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The trailer, although impressive, seemed an anti-climax by its length and rapid scene cuts. Edit: Also, the echo-chambered narration was distracting. Edit 2: The downloadable trailer is far more impressive!

I really enjoyed the speech and Q/A. All of my fear about the direction of the game has been put to rest. :)
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, Spork!

I loved Leonard's intro, the new information Jack provided, and the trailer itself was absolutely gorgeous. Do I spy the Cryptic AR and fully animated faces, much like we have in Champions? Awesome!
    edited August 2008
    It was a great webcast, lots of information.
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the speedy upload of the video for those of us that weren't home to catch it. I saw it on YouTube.

:)

Comments: I like what I see, but I'm concerned that starship combat is an external view option only. Please Cryptic say that is not so! Starship interiors for player ships are a MUST-HAVE for all phases of starship operations. The game has a ways to go and with earlier threads on the subject you can see how popular of a requirement it is for a EXCELLENT STO experience!

Thanks for listening...I hope!

:)
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure if an interior view is necessary. After all if we're not directly controlling characters individually, I'm not too concerned with watching them do their thing. I'd rather watch the scenery and shootin'.
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a pretty big assumption.

He said it will be released in under 3 years, and he mentioned that the time frame of the game will be 2409, and they will be releasing periodic updates 1 year at a time each month to fill us in on the storyline starting with 2380-2381. So doing the math we're looking at about 28-30 months before we see a release.
    edited August 2008

He said it will be released in under 3 years, and he mentioned that the time frame of the game will be 2409, and they will be releasing periodic updates 1 year at a time each month to fill us in on the storyline starting with 2380-2381. So doing the math we're looking at about 28-30 months before we see a release.

I would hope they don't keep us waiting that long considering their progress but we will see.
    edited August 2008
    MillerEP wrote: »

Sounds like it. I love it when they insert some hidden information in their revelation about the game. Well if it's under 3 years and they had to start from scratch from what i've read then its awsome, these guys are really going at it. Love also the way they are going about the game (really mature as oppose to you know who). Anyways i hope the best for this game and can't wait for beta (HINT HINT).

1 more thing i really would like is to be a 1 server game, damn that would be awsome.

See you all in game.
    edited August 2008
    double post sorry
    edited August 2008
    Jack, thank you for the show, we all learned a great deal and appreciate all you are doing for us!
    edited August 2008
    It's interesting that there'll be a break from levels for this game (at least in the traditional sense).

Romulan faction later? Cool, I can wait. But I certainly hope I can make a Romulan Star Fleet officer, mind you:D

Holographic bridge crew? Could they be more permanent, like the EMH Doctor in Star Trek: Voyager, or just temporary replacements for key bridge crew positions?

Answers can lead to more questions.... *sigh*
    edited August 2008

I don't exactly remember him saying 1 per month, so it could be 2 a month or 1 every couple of months. No real way to tell. I do recall him saying something about April in there regarding CO, and it sounds like it will be sometime after CO is released, so who knows. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
    edited August 2008
    nice to see jack lost lots of weight.
    edited August 2008
    An informative video. Many thanks for it! Mr Nimoy looked bloomin good for his age I have to say.
    edited August 2008
    i like the how your seting up the game but lots of pepole want players has there crew and not npcs!!!!
    edited August 2008
    i can't believe i missed the live podcast at work because the darn iphone won't play flash content!!! *throws the phone out the balcony* :mad:
    edited August 2008
    I think the segment was quite informative for a game they just started to work on. Emmert seems like a man on a mission: To provide a quality game that will lock in first time MMO gamers and MMO vets.

I had commented on the trailer thread before this, and I noticed so many bashing it... It's really sad to see that happening this early. CERTAINLY what we saw wasn't a finished product and many more things need to be resolved before a release. Nevertheless, it's my opinion that - ((considering the time frame since they acquired the IP)) - Cryptic's team has done a fantastic job thus far.

In my opinion, I would much rather play a game that I can ENJOY and sacrifice some graphics than have a visually stimulating game that offers me nothing more.

I wish Emmert would have spoken a little more about Teams... how can we play along side one another? Will we ever have the opportunity to jump on each other's ship and take the place of the "Pets"?

That's something I'd like to see. Clearly, you can't depend on everyone to be on at the same time; but, sometimes you come across a moment when all your friends are online. I think it'd be fun if we can jump on someone's ship and act as Tactical officer... Or medic... or engineer... Not just play these roles on the surface of planets.

It would also be nice to see them integrate something along the lines of The Matrix Online... where one could "Swap" between being Medic for Engineering. Take Picard... sure, he was a diplomat and an archeologist by specialty, but he also knew some science, engineering, and medicine. What if my Medic isn't online? Can I easily act as Medic for my team ((with some de-buffs of course--- since it's not my specialty)) or do I need to hunt one down on the server?

But, anywho... those are my two cents.... I'm very much looking forward to this game! If it's made w/ good intentions than we'll get quality material!
    edited August 2008
    I watched the presentation on webcase last night. Jack did a great job IMO and gave more information than I was expecting. I didn't hear anything mentioned about movement in space, like how long it would take to get from Earth to say, Bajor, unless of course that was mentioned during my bathroom break :rolleyes: Other than that I think it was really good.

Gameplay footage looked great. I'm also pretty stoked about the periodical timeline updates that's planned. That's really going to help us players develop great concepts for our characters, knowing the history that's passed since Nemesis. Good job!
    edited August 2008
    Do let me know when you get bright enough to put it on the actual #1 Graphic machine in the industry. Til then, don't call me, I'll call you.

24 years a Mac Guru, 35 years a computer guru, 15 years suffering through PC's.
    edited August 2008
    missing the price entry and the exact date of realese aslike explicit answers to: if there will be a holodeck
    I´m not very happy with the video.
    It´s just like: hey, whait three years or so and then we´ll see if you will have enough money to buy or time to play.

I mean should I after having registered on 27.Juli leave this forum for three years? Otherwise what should we talk about in the next three years. Sure some of the members comming up more familiar but... :D
    And what about the now buildet fleets. They won´t be in that composition- so why building them up.
    I´m sad.

greentings
    Xrzepetelda
    edited August 2008
    Well, they will never announce a date - no one ever does. They can't know how development will change or how other pressures may push back or change the release date. In my opinion, giving us a 36 month release window and telling us they will be doing a 'countdown' via a timeline update is pretty outstanding commitment to keeping the community informed.

Price point should not be a real concern - they want to sell unit and they want to have subscribers. You can expect it to cost $50-$75 US roughly if we launch in the next three years and I would estimate $20 US per month or so. Keep an eye on what is selling and what average monthly subs are for Sony and Blizzard and you have your answer.

As for fleets - what do you mean? A couple of years hanging out and building friendships with guys you plan to play with is an excellent reason to build them up and to go into launch with people you know and trust and share a common goal with is why you could be interested now.

I personally am glad they gave hints and teasers about what the game is like rather than a breakdown of dollar costs and price entry points.
    edited August 2008
    The game looks great, most of my fears about it's direction have been put to rest...... the only problem i still have is the ship designs showcased in the trailer. They mostly look like cobbled together sovy refits, now i know that there are many more ships in the game, and that players will be able to customize there ships. I'm just wondering if there are going to be, shall we say more traditional sleek, smooth designs such as this vessel http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/screenshots/File/82748/1, it's a mod for bridge commander created by dj curtis and personally i think it represents how federation design would progress.
    edited August 2008
    Although I tuned in to watch the live webcast, I am very glad that it was archived. I know that I will be watching it again over the next few days, and it will certainly be interesting to watch once Star Trek Online is released to see if the finished game actually includes everything that Jack Emmert talked about on the webcast.
    edited August 2008
    My compliment on the webcast team. It worked great without any problems and we all enjoyed watching it live in Germany.
    It was a good Idea to do something like that and to give the people who could not visit the Las Vegas convention the possibility to get a part of it anyway.

Thank you!
    edited August 2008
    I actually think the trailer is pretty nice! It's high graphic just like I hoped it was, and I hope they keep their word about the things they said in the webcast. If not, I WONT BE HAPPY! :) I just hope the game comes out very soon, im hopping up and down here!
    edited August 2008
    As much as it was advertised, not many people realized that Leonard Nimoy would be helping Cryptic Studios unveil STO. So it was great to see people begin to come back into the hall when they heard Nimoy's voice.

The presentation was excellent; I especially enjoyed the Q&A portion. That combined with Hailing Freaquency's interview with Jack, answered a ton of questions. Oh I've still got a few of course, but the highlights were answered.

Nice job with the presentation Cryptic!