test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery/Tardigrade case dismissed

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    So much for stupid people.
    tenor.gif?itemid=3556250
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    like there was ever any doubt...morons actually thought he was going to WIN - HA!

what a forking joke​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    BOUT TIME!

Can we finally stop beating the dead horse now? Its pretty clear now as layed out in that document how there is NOTHING alike between them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Many thanks for linking the court document. Entirely reasonable verdict. Midnight's Edge etc. should be ashamed for encouraging the dev to pursue this utterly pointless and spurious case.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    By the way, @ryan218, your sig image is broken (in case you didn't know).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    By the way, @ryan218, your sig image is broken (in case you didn't know).

Thanks, I have sig images stripped out because I'm often on my tablet. I've removed the image for now.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    so no similarities! so he can develop his game. i think that was his main concern all along.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Whoo Hooo :) Justice Prevails
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Reading into it, they do go into great detail and the thing is people might hate or dislike discovery. There is similarties, but they did do their research, and well the concept itself wasn't unique to the taridgrade videogame as there was other tardigrade things before that that had the concept of flying tardigrades. As well as its real life creature status, and you can't really copyright concepts like skin tone sexual performance or anything like that so similar characters claim was dismised for those reasons.
    If you think it should have been successful well one setback to that because discovery and tardigrades use the same exact shape of the real life tardigrade. it can't be copyrighted. So its beyond copyright protection. So it doesn't matter what color it is since it uses the shape. Its beyond copyright protection. They make this rather clear too. Basically it would have to have a unique shape that differs from the the real life version and since its not and looks many ways like the real life version. Can't claim a copyright to it.

Quoting from the article
    The tardigrade in the Videogame and the Television Series share many of the samecharacteristics as the real-life microscopic tardigrade. All three have eight short legs that run in pairs along a rounded body, all three have an O-shaped mouth in the center of the “face” and allthree are capable of surviving in space without protection. These are non-protectable facts aboutthe tardigrade and cannot provide the basis for copyright infringement.

So I kinda figured if it was dimissed it was because of that reason.

Another quote
    The plots of both works are similar solely to the extent that the characters go onadventures in space, and some of the adventures involve alien tardigrades. This commonstoryline of adventuring through space and discovering aliens is a scènes-à-faire common toworks that involve space travel. Just as “cowboys, bank robbers, and shootouts in stories of the merican West . . . get no protection,” alien contact in fictional stories about space adventuresgets no protection.

To describe why they don't copy right stuff like this is well because many things in every movie book or novel is a remix of something that has been done before. Over the years its bound to have done at least somewhere at least several times. Even concepts that might seem original might not really be original. While it would be nice to see more original concepts. Starwars used a lot of remixing. many things use a lot of remixing this is just a fact within the tv, movie and novel industry.
    Yeah Discovery did mess up the klingons but that could be explained by genetic muckering. That might have even altered their personalities too. Others might not like the michael character. But there is bound to be worse characters then her for sure. Others might not like the spore travel thing. Which is fine. But startrek while being a lot on science is still also fantasy with fantastical concepts that might not even be possible in real life. And if the courts sided with him that would basically mean everything out there right now would also be breaking copyright laws. Including beloved movies and franchise. In my personal opinion. Discovery is here to stay and it wasn't going away. Because if you copyright remix then well most everything would be breaking copyright laws. So yeah case settled.
    edited September 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Discovery did not mess up Klingons in any way. It's not even the first time the franchise has drastically changed Klingons.

TOS > TMP Movies > TNG Series > Slight Changes in DS9 > Amendment in Enterprise > Discovery

Amount of changes Klingons have undergone and tweaks added over 50 years are indeed large. I liked Season 1 Klingons of Discovery. Was something Unique and still klingon.

That scream towards the coffin at the Pilot episode sent shivers down my shine. It felt like it was a ancient tie into the Ritual Worf did sometimes. I think hands over the deads brow then screaming towards the sky before reciting a klingon ritual poem/saying.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    so no similarities! so he can develop his game. i think that was his main concern all along.
    Hahaha no.

That would call for asking CBS' legal department if there's a problem, not filing a lawsuit. Lawsuits are filed when one feels oneself to be injured, frequently when monetary damages are requested. You don't sue somebody to make sure they don't sue you, that makes no sense whatsoever.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hahaha no.

That would call for asking CBS' legal department if there's a problem, not filing a lawsuit. Lawsuits are filed when one feels oneself to be injured, frequently when monetary damages are requested. You don't sue somebody to make sure they don't sue you, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Going to be funny to see what the small group of discovery haters (haters as in raging on discovery for no point. Not people who have legitimate concerns or may not simply like discovery but dont mind it) Come up with now saying how Discovery is going to die :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hahaha no.

Also Anas publicly stated that the suit was filed because he felt wronged by them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    He lost fair and square, simple
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
      CBS can say concurrent development, and file for dismissal - and as I recall, they did - but if the plaintiff insists on proceeding to the discovery phase, and to trial if he can manage it, well, it's in the court's lap at that point. The only way CBS could have stopped this "day one" would have been to give Abdin whatever he was demanding to settle.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      You know what the sad thing is? That this won't be evidence that the lawsuit was flimsy to begin with, this will only be proof for certain people that the justice system is corrupt and controlled by The Man pig-1.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      well, it kind of is, but that doesn't change the fact that even if the entire justice department were run by incorruptible robots, this case still would've been dismissed​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      In this case, yes, that was my point pig-3.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      coldnapalm wrote: »
      Honestly, the trial went further than it really should have. CBS could have easily said concurrent development and it would have ended before it even started. There is really nothing in the similarities between the two that can't be covered under concurrent development. I'm not a fan of the Michael Burnham show since it is just too full of stupid for me to watch and enjoy (okay season 2 wasn't as bad as 1...but still not a fan), but this case should have ended in like day one until CBS decided to go about this the long way for some reason.
      Realistically cases like this are never quick. The evidence collection process alone is months long.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      yeah, it's not like all those crime dramas like CSI or NCIS where evidence collection, processing and collation all takes place within the span of a week or two at most​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
      edited September 2019
      (Trolling comments/political comments moderated out. - BMR)
      Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
      foxman00 wrote: »
      Whoo Hooo :) Justice Prevails

That is a matter of opinion.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
      edited September 2019
      (Trolling comments/political comments moderated out. - BMR)
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
      edited September 2019
      (Inappropriate, objectionable material removed. - BMR)
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited September 2019
      (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
      edited September 2019
      (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    This discussion has been closed.