test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iconian Officer Exchange: A followup piece to "Iconian Restoration"

saphira123456789saphira123456789 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
edited September 2019 in Ten Forward
(Author's note: This is a follow-up piece to my Iconian Restoration story, located here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/comment/13534562. Please read that one before this one.)
(Second note: This will incorporate themes from TNG Season 2, episode 8, "A Matter of Honor" with a reference to an episode of Star Trek Enterprise.)
(Third note: This episode was co-written by me and user Blood_Rave1984 so please give credit where it's due.)

Our story starts aboard an Iconian Vomph, the I.V. 'Star Union', taking part in a command officer exchange with the rest of the Federation.
Captain Raul Valdez has exchanged places with an Iconian Harbinger of T'Ket, the latter taking command of the Eclipse-class U.S.S. Preliator.

But as we open, it seems he and his sister, Doctor Sara Maria Valdez, are having yet another family disagreement!

Raul spoke, "This ship is a bit too big for me."
Sara Maria replied, "It's a mobile battle station, what do you expect?"

Raul countered with "I'm too used the Preliator, she was just right."
To which Sara Maria returned, "You mean close to that Klingon!"

Stung, Raul replied, "I did not know that she belonged to a Klingon great house!"
Sara Maria pressed her brother's discomfort with a smile, replying "The House of Martok at that!"

To which Raul replied, "You're finding this funny, I know you are."

Sara Maria then ended with "Have fun little brother!"
Raul countered with "There's only 3 minutes between us-" just before being interrupted by a call from the bridge.

"Excuse me, Captain," said the herald in charge of communications, "There's a call coming in from Command. They're sending us to the Andromeda galaxy on an exploration mission. Two other ships will be accompanying us."

"Be right there," answered Raul before heading to the bridge.

Once there, the call came through and right off the bat, Raul said, "Sir, I'm still not comfortable with how big this ship is."
"That said, I can see how they caused so much terror 2,000 years ago, they're a phalanx of firepower in one ship. Is 'ship' even the right word for her?"

"I'll do my best however."

"I know you will, Captain," replied the Admiral who was giving the mission briefing - who just so happened to be Kerry.
"You are being tasked with a First Contact mission in the Andromeda Galaxy. A race called the Albion."

"How much do we know about them?" Raul asked his advisor. The reply was stunning.

"They're a race we met 3,000 years ago. Feudalistic, they never leave their borders unless provoked. Personal honour and the honour of their family guides their very culture. Do not mistake that for weakness, however, as when threatened, they are more than a match for your Starfleet. They've even stopped us dead over a misunderstanding."

"Apparently however, they are an offshoot of humanity. Your records indicate that you've encountered such an offshoot before in the 22nd century, when the NX-01 encountered the Skagarans skirmishing with a group of Humans from the ancient American West."

Raul nodded and asked, "What was the misunderstanding?"
His advisor replied, "They claimed we were trespassing."

Raul in turn said, "I'm guessing having a Herald fleet in their backyard didn't help matters."

The advisor looked confused. "Back Yard, sir?"
"Never mind," Raul replied.

The Advisor then shook his head and continued, "You never saw them fight, they fought a with a bravery only matched by your people. They were magnificent, we learned to avoid their borders since their house fleets gave us what you Humans called a bloody nose."

Raul nodded. "When was this exactly?"
"Just prior to the war against your people," replied the Advisor.

"So we need to avoid insulting their honor," said Raul.
"Do not question it," answered the Advisor.

"It appears you've stumbled onto what could be a temporally displaced group of Humans," Kerry replied. "From the Medieval period, it seems."
"That's why I'm coming along," he added. "The Dragon's Lair will join you on this mission."

"Sir, are you sure that's a good idea?" asked Raul.
"I lived through that time, and I'm a relic of it myself," Kerry replied, Draconic chin held high. "I should fit right in."

"Sir, as much as I hate to appear to make a joke of this situation, the Albions have a very strict 'dress code'," said the Advisor. "Any Human crewmembers will need to follow strict sumptry laws, for example."

"Luckily the Lair has no Human crewmembers," Kerry said in reply. "That said, the crew of the other ship that's joining us will need to heed the warning."
"That's the U.S.S. Preliator, by the way."

"Excellent," replied Raul, nodding. "I trust T'Ket's harbinger is taking good care of her."

"She is," Kerry replied with a smile. "See you at the Jouret System gateway soon. Command out."

As the comm winked out Raul turned to his sister and sighed, happy. "Here we go again!"
"Off on another adventure," agreed Sara Maria, grinning happily.

They set off to the portal, and once there, rendezvoused with the heavily modified Jupiter class carrier D.C.N.S. Dragon's Lair and their old ship, the U.S.S. Preliator. After a bit of a wait the massive gateway spun to life and the three ships' surged to life, carrying them forward and into the gateway.

Raul was reminded, in this situation, of the NX-01's crew under Captain Archer.

Much like the NX-01, they were about to be the first Starfleet vessels to go to another galaxy - and explore it in the name of the Federation.

Only this time, the role of chaperone was going to the Iconians instead of the Vulcans.

And so the first part of our two-part opening episode comes to a close with the three ships, in formation, heading for the Andromeda Galaxy.
What surprises, what mysteries lay in store for our intrepid crews?

Only one way to find out: Stay tuned!

This is Star Trek: Andromeda!

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Very nicely done
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • saphira123456789saphira123456789 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
      Very nicely done

Thank you, Raven.

And thank you for helping me co-write this as well.
      ((Part two))
      ((Opening Title theme is the extended version of Faith of the Heart from Star Trek: Enterprise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQsrXLofMY ))
      ((Theme further extended to include footage of every Starship Enterprise so far.))

Kerry Freeman's Draconic voice (think In-Game Gorn): "Space: The Final Frontier."
      "These are the voyages of the starships Dragon's Lair, Star Union, and Preliator."

Kerry's voice: "Their ongoing mission: To explore a strange, new galaxy."
      Raul's voice: "To seek out new life and new civilizations."
      Harbinger of T'Ket's voice: "To boldly go where no being from the Milky Way has ever gone before!"

All three voices chime in with a roar: "THIS IS STAR TREK: ANDROMEDA!"

((Opening Title theme))

Recap:
      The Lair's computer (Majel Barrett Roddenberry's voice): "Last time on Star Trek: Andromeda:"

(Review of part one)

"And now the continuation."

==============================================================================

Raul Valdez, Kerry and some of the Preliator's complement were being briefed on what they would find on the surface of Albon once they arrived.

"It's a feudalistic world down there, and though they use modern weapons and starships, they look and act old," Kerry said.
      "Including the laws."

"I'm guessing that's why I have to wear this itchy old thing," said Sara Maria, as her brother Raul laughed, though he quickly shut up after receiving a glare from Kerry. "That's correct. Also, that 'thing' is a servant's dress."

"It's a patriarchal world down there, so keep that in mind," as Sara Maria let out a sigh of relief, earning her another glare.

"Sorry sir, whatever your friend just did it made this feel so much better," she apologized. Kerry chuckled. "Indeed, my own servants, the Dracoreas, are quite good at what they do, as you just found out."

"I don't treat them as servants but that's what they are."

"Anyway, red is reserved for nobles and purple," Kerry continued with his head held high, "Is reserved for royalty."

"Knights wear the color of the nobles they serve, that's why you are wearing purple and red," Kerry told Raul. "The purple signifies that you are my knight, though this is only for show, and the red indicates that you are a noble."

"The Valdez clan was nobility long before this, m'lord," Raul replied, getting into character. "I am honored to continue this tradition."

"Thank you, my friend," Kerry replied, as a Dracoreas buckled something onto his back, between his wings but out of the way so it would not interfere with his flight. It was a scabbard, with a sword in it.

Kerry then asked, "You wouldn't happen to have a sample of the Valdez heraldry and coat of arms, would you? It would complete the image."

"I can describe it, sire," replied Raul. "It was a gold dragon curled around an image of a silver St. James' Cross, on a blood-red background."

Kerry took a step back in surprise, though he quickly regained his composure. "Order of Santiago?" he whispered, though he was careful to ensure nobody heard him but Raul, who nodded.

He stood back up and chuckled. "I'd say a line about fate and destiny, but I don't believe in that stuff."

He had the replicator create a shield for Raul with the heraldry on it, and handed it to him, and with that the image was complete.

"All right, we're ready," Kerry said. "Have you located a spot for us to beam down?"

The dragon on sensor duty nodded. "There's an empty clearing a few hundred yards away, suitable enough for you to beam down in Feral form, sire."

Kerry nodded. "Any crops around? Don't want to give the people working on the farm a heart attack."

The dragon nodded. "No life signs though I am getting mechanical readings. Manmade - right, moving the beam-in point now."

He soon located a backup site and said, "All clear, no mechanical readings or lifesigns."

Kerry nodded and headed to the transporter pad as his friends, all in costume, did the same.

He commented, "This is why I ordered one of the Lair's cargo bays to be converted into a transporter room for feral-form dragons."

He promptly shifted to Feral and then growled out, "Energize!"

They were beamed down to the planet's surface. As promised, it was empty, though there was a great castle far in the background. Seeing this, Kerry snorted, a plume of smoke emerging from his nostrils - it looked like home.

"Well, come on then," Kerry said, his retinue forming up around him and the humans getting on his back. "Oh, and don't touch the sword."

He then strode off towards the castle at a leisurely pace, his massive legs and long stride making their travel easy, passing fields and farmers, mechanical horses and less-mechanical animals.

Upon reaching the castle and seeing the drawbridge closed he sighed, with a smile and thought back to how he would phrase things so very long ago.

After advising his passengers to cover their ears he roared up to the guards, walking the walls in lockstep, flaring his wings aggressively, "What ho, yon knights! Why is thy bridge closed to the King of Dragons, who gives counsel to all who ask?!"

The footmen ran to the gate to look at what was coming their way, and one of them ran towards the keep, Kerry made no attempt to do anything more aggressive, knowing what would soon come.

The second the guard returned, it was clear what had transpired. A group of men bearing trumpets lined the walls, playing the notes that announced the arrival of royalty to the keep.

The drawbridge opened and a group of knights lined the path directly linside, and a man welcomed him. "Welcome, noble dragon, to the Kingdom of Albion!" He bowed, and Kerry nodded, pleased. "I would like an audience with your king, friend."

"He has been expecting as much, noble dragon," said the man. "Please, follow the path."

He then gestured Kerry to proceed, so he did as asked, following the path the knights laid out as he and his retinue headed for the castle's keep.

As they approached, a set of halberdiers pounded once on the floor with the hafts of their weapons and the doors opened. With his head held high Kerry walked into a long hall, ending up at the other end before a throne.

The current king, queen, prince, and princess looked up and gasped, before bowing before Kerry, briefly as a sign of equality. "We have long waited for a dragon to make his or her reappearance," said the King. "What are you doing way out here in the Andromeda galaxy?"

Kerry then explained their mission and their past and the king nodded. "Aye, so that's your story. You say you are from Earth?"
      It was Kerry's turn to nod. "Yes, that is the case."

"In that case, noble dragon, my house is your house. My people are your people."
      Kerry replied, "Your house is yours, mine is mine. I dare not take anything, only give my blessing."

Satisfied, the king spoke once more. "I take it you are here to make first contact with us."
      Kerry nodded again. "That is indeed our reasoning, though an alliance is also a hopeful thought."

"Then consider it done, noble dragon." The king clapped his hands and a group of paladins entered, along with a royal page, all bowing to the king and to Kerry.

"See to it that the members of this 'Federation' are recorded as allies. Some, after all, are members of our own species," the king told the page.
      The boy nodded and ran off, then the King spoke to his paladins. "Paladins, this is Kerry, King of Dragons. While he is here on our world you will protect him as our ally and my honored guest. Make sure his friends are treated well and do not hesitate to let him or me know if there are any problems."

"Yes, my lord," replied the paladin group leader, before looking at Kerry. "I hope you don't mind sleeping outside, the castle bedrooms are a bit big for you," said the man.

Kerry nodded as he and the paladins headed outside. "I'm somewhat used to sleeping in a magma bath but I will do with what you have for me," he replied. "But before you show me, let me show you something."

After the Dracoreas and humans slid off his back he shifted into Anthro again. "What sorcery is this?!" exclaimed the Paladin leader before seeing the change. "I had heard that dragons could change shape but now that I've seen it...!"

Kerry chuckled, he was used to that reaction. "You will get used to it in time," he said.

The paladin leader shook his head. "Come on then, let's put you up for the night." He walked on, before someone noticed the sword on his back. "What's this?!" said the knight, reaching for it. "A dragon, carrying a sword?!"

Kerry retorted, "It is a very special sword. I made it, blessed it with my fire. And it is a weapon you should both fear and respect, for it is legend."

"Come off it mate, it's not like that sword's Excalibur or somethin'," said another knight to the one who reached for the sword.

"Actually," replied Kerry, "That's exactly what that sword is. May I?"

He then reached for the sword and pulled it out of its' scabbard. The edges glistened, the blade shone in the sun, and the Celtic, runic symbols on the flat of the blade were as crisp as the day it was forged.

They read, quite clearly, "EXCALIBUR".

As the runes caught the light they lit up like liquid magma and the blade caught fire, though it was unharmed, and leapt from Kerry's paws to hover in the air as a voice issued forth, "Who dares?!" followed by an image of an elderly red dragon. Elderly, wise, and still powerful, given the aura the sword was giving off.

"I am Exca, a red dragon soul-forged and bonded with steel, by choice and through king of dragons' flame; chosen to make the blade known as Excalibur, symbol of Arthur Pendragon," said the image. "My lord, King Freeman, forged the blade and only he, together with King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, and Merlin the Wizard may draw me from my sheath without suffering my wrath."

As the others saw and heard this they bowed to Kerry and the sword, low bows of respect and fealty.

Exca nodded and looked at Kerry before returning to the sword as Kerry sheathed it, with a proud smirk. "You may rise, my friends. I do not wish your fealty, your current lord and master needs that."

The paladins rose to their feet and Kerry said, "Now, shall we continue onwards? I have much to show you in the days to come, but I must rest for a while first."

The leader nodded and headed on, passing a church on the way.

Services were starting as well, though they were still early.

Raul and Sara Maria looked at Kerry, and he had the group stop and listened to them.

"We're Christian, so we'd like to attend service here, this once," said Raul.
      "Sorry big guy," he added and Sara Maria agreed.

"I understand," Kerry said. "Go on then, I will be nearby." The two ran in and an hour later, they reemerged and they resumed the walk.

Kerry then asked Raul if he knew some of the hidden history of the Order of Santiago. Raul shook his head no, and Kerry smirked.

"The Order of Santiago had another name by my people: 'Godith's Own'," he revealed, leaving both Raul and Sara Maria stunned.

They continued on, the two walking in silence beside Kerry, Raul even forgetting to boss his sister around.
    • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
      I'm liking the ambition behind the concept for this one. :)
      I'm liking the ambition behind the concept for this one. :)

Thank you Captain!

Make sure you spread the word - when these posts reach 50 I'm opening it up to be a full-on RP similar to the Mirror Wars thread.

I couldn't have done this without Raven and Lapry though - Kerry is actually Spyro's son, and I've given Lapry permission to use him.

I'm going to be doing a crossover with a couple of anime later in the series, as well as Star Trek: Monroe (Raven's series.)
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      We're looking to expand the story and cast of Andromeda, anyone who wants to contribute to is more than welcome.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius