test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What ways would previous Trek series be different if they were made in 2019?

faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
Feel free to comment on each series or just one. In what ways do you think previous Trek series would be different if they were made in 2019?

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    TOS would probably look more like Discovery in terms of consoles and details. Touchscreens and a lot more visible controls than what we saw in TOS.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Cancelled after five episodes or forced to hop channels to a streaming service because space opera is expensive.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    and data would still be fully functional​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    There is a huge difference between "if TOS were made today" and "if today's production values and techniques were available back when TOS was made".

Nowadays TV science fiction has settled into a rather narrow and generic rut, often to the point where ships and people of one "franchise" (I hate that word, it makes shows sound like fast food joints) could actually blend in reasonably well in a different one if you ignore the background details and just look at the aesthetics.

Ironically, while the look of the technology gets shackled to the alter of "realism" nowadays, the action and plotting throw any pretense of realism away in favor of shallow Errol Flynn style swash along with Star Wars 'aircraft in space stuffed with chattering and inaccurate machineguns' style (though it does look cool), without even The Force to handwave it.

TOS was designed to be futuristic and minimalist sleek, but they had severe limitation on what they could build or composite together in post production so they could not achieve much of it. The bridge would have had the same basic floorplan but everything would have been flowing sleek organic curves and parabolic-curve edged trapezoids with the room itself as an oblate spheroid.

The station chairs would have extruded from the deck at need, and the stations themselves were supposed to reconfigure for the person sitting at the station and be context-sensitive. The empty black sections of panel surface between control positions was supposed to be for holographic projections (they did a few tests of that which turned out absolute garbage and dropped the idea). The ceiling was supposed to look pretty much like the ones you see in TMP and the DSC Enterprise though in TOS it would have had to be on a crane so they could light the set so they decided not to hang one up there like the sword of Damocles waiting to drop on the actors.

Except for the colored light panels over the stations that tell what department it was currently configured for the room lighting was supposed to be sourceless and able to change angle and color to mimic planetary day/night cycles without glare. The main screen would have taken up more of the front wall but not extend down so far that the heads of the helmsman and astrogator were in the way from the captains chair viewpoint. The stations would have the same three levels: panel surface, small eye-level displays, and big curving overhead screens extending unbroken over the arc of stations on each side of the bridge.

On the other hand, if TOS was done today without pre-existing expectations the bridge would look just like the ones on the Walker class, the Crossfield class, or for that matter the bridge of the Raza from Dark Matter or any other medium sized and fairly advanced ship in today's science fiction flicks. Since the end of the 1970s TV and movie sci-fi has usually taken great pains to show future technology as a direct descendent of today's tech and style (and nowadays LCD screens are dirt cheap compared to anything they could custom build). TOS was done using a futurist style that was not so concerned with that as long as the audience could understand what was going on.

The uniforms would probably be black or at least dark colored and feature a lot of leather since that is the currently favored sci-fi costume look, or they could feature some of the retro style that is also popular and have Victorian or Elizabethan touches to it.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I’m currently planning a fan fic called New Star Trek (think Marvel’s Ultimate line) that hypothesizes what TOS would look like if created in 2019. No communicators, no tricorders...all that handled by smart suits. Ship consoles more like the consoles in Minority Report. Ship organization will be less like the days of sailing ships and updated to how modern navies operate. I wouldn’t change the looks of the ships. Uniforms would change to move away from bright colors to something like the Enterprise and Discovery uniforms. Would also move away from “Planet of The Hats” and make Alien races more varied and believable.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    ...much to his delight.

:D :D :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg