test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sci Vessel - Torp/mine ship only?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
Can you slot 3 torps up front?

Right now with reps you have 3 mines.

Or is the shared cool down make it poor performance? Also will you need high speed for this to work? you need to fly in and around mobs within 3 to 4 km for the mines to activate and chase targets down.

or park and shoot torps and trigger the mine port when ever it's up?

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    It depends which content you are playing but Mines used correctly can at times have the best performance in game wiping out entire groups of NPC’s before canons or beams can hit. If you want to use mines I recommend Hot Pursuit which will double chase range and I would recommend you mix mine types. Using 1 rep Quantum and 1 normal Quantum. Don’t use 2 rep or 2 normal Quantum. The same applies for all mines mix. See guide below if you want more info. With the very latest mine console all mines have a treat range of 10km and the relocate mine power which you get at high level means you teleport all mines.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1241632/minelayer-boat-guide/p1

I use mines only so yes a torp and mine ship works perfectly well.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The linked guide from Pottsey on mine layer boats is pretty much the best one we have on topic so I suggest to start with some research there. I added mines to my torpedo build with great success and found one can get both into sync nicely.

Reason for my reply here is that I read “sci vessel” in the title and the OP. In general kinetic builds can be separated into two different types.

EPG(Exotic)/kinetic:

Those are the ones sci ships are used for. The armaments, let it be torpedoes and/or mines, are a secondary offensive tool here only while the main offensive capacity is done via Exotic EPG driven attacks especially together with the secondary deflector only sci ships have. A respective ship is built around exotics. Example: Imp’s Crossfield Science Vanguard

Kinetic:

Can be realized on all ships with tac focused crafts offering the most benefits here. Such a build approach is more conventional where gear selections are made to directly enhance the weapons, let it be torpedoes and/or mines. Example: First's Tzenkethi Dreadnought Carrier

I’m just highlighting this because there is the danger here to aim for a discrete build type on a suboptimal ship choice. Even though both builds types utilize torpedoes and/or mines, their main gear selections are entirely different and can be expensive when selected wrong.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    The linked guide from Pottsey on mine layer boats is pretty much the best one we have on topic so I suggest to start with some research there. I added mines to my torpedo build with great success and found one can get both into sync nicely.

Reason for my reply here is that I read “sci vessel” in the title and the OP. In general kinetic builds can be separated into two different types.

EPG(Exotic)/kinetic:

Those are the ones sci ships are used for. The armaments, let it be torpedoes and/or mines, are a secondary offensive tool here only while the main offensive capacity is done via Exotic EPG driven attacks especially together with the secondary deflector only sci ships have. A respective ship is built around exotics. Example: Imp’s Crossfield Science Vanguard

Kinetic:

Can be realized on all ships with tac focused crafts offering the most benefits here. Such a build approach is more conventional where gear selections are made to directly enhance the weapons, let it be torpedoes and/or mines. Example: First's Tzenkethi Dreadnought Carrier

I’m just highlighting this because there is the danger here to aim for a discrete build type on a suboptimal ship choice. Even though both builds types utilize torpedoes and/or mines, their main gear selections are entirely different and can be expensive when selected wrong.
    I might be confusing matters here as peterconnorfirst advice is spot on and would be what most people would do when building towards EPG and torps. Personally I prefer the First's Tzenkethi Dreadnought Carrier for a EPG science build mixed in with torpedoes and mines. But the way I build towards EPG and torpedoes is very different to how most people do it.

“their main gear selections are entirely different and can be expensive when selected wrong.”
    Very true and I want to echo that statement. The way I build EPG torps is different and a expensive mistake if you are aiming for a build more like that Crossfield link.

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I am currently on a torpedo build, I found it enjoyable on some science ships with a tac bias such as the T6 tac Vesta and Lukari Dranuur Scout Ship, I haven't yet tried it on my Annorax.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I used to fly an exotic sci-torp build and used it in various forms on multiple ships. Then i worked out how to go fully kinetic and haven't look back.

Full kinetic is trickier to do, there's less "cheating" (lol, not sure that's the best word!) with sneaky exotic attacks and you need to rely fully on slow hitting massive damage weapons and timing things perfectly.
    Cooldown reduction is a bit part of the trick (one I've not fully worked out yet) and so is getting synergy between multiple points to get the most from every shot. I use various traits to add in extra effects like shield stripping, adding extra shots of various kinds, adding shield penetration etc.

You'll maybe struggle in a fight when competing for kills against beam and cannon spam boats, but when you do land a full spread you can wipe out an entire fleet in one go before the rest of the team can react...that makes it something special B) .
    SulMatuul.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »

EPG(Exotic)/kinetic:

Kinetic:

I might be confusing matters here as peterconnorfirst advice is spot on and would be what most people would do when building towards EPG and torps. Personally I prefer the First's Tzenkethi Dreadnought Carrier for a EPG science build mixed in with torpedoes and mines. But the way I build towards EPG and torpedoes is very different to how most people do it.

Oh yea I suppose EPG related stuff would work on the Tzenkethi as well (mine was really just en axample). One only does miss out the secondary deflector then. Especially the deteriorating versions of those can contribute a lot when triggered with the right sci powers. :)

Nevertheless with its hangars and flexible boff stations an EPG oriented build or a hybrid here would surely be no fail.

The other way around, on sci ships with only 6 gun ports, it is probably just more limiting if one aims for a build which enhances those while other ships offer up to 8 ports for this.

In general there is nothing wrong with doing hybrids. A lot can be adjusted with the playstyle if one is costumed to the respective abilities. Cryptic also aims on multiple occasions to promote such setup as of late which is cool.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    pottsey5g wrote: »

EPG(Exotic)/kinetic:

Kinetic:

Oh yea I suppose EPG related stuff would work on the Tzenkethi as well (mine was really just en axample). One only does miss out the secondary deflector then. Especially the deteriorating versions of those can contribute a lot when triggered with the right sci powers. :)

Nevertheless with its hangars and flexible boff stations an EPG oriented build or a hybrid here would surely be no fail.

The other way around, on sci ships with only 6 gun ports, it is probably just more limiting if one aims for a build which enhances those while other ships offer up to 8 ports for this.

In general there is nothing wrong with doing hybrids. A lot can be adjusted with the playstyle if one is costumed to the respective abilities. Cryptic also aims on multiple occasions to promote such setup as of late which is cool.
    The reason I am looking at it different is I come from an Engineer in Cruisers background and that is what got me into EPG. It sounds odd as first more so when I say I used to run with zero science stations at that time.

Exotic for me all started with the Assault Cruiser which was my main ship for many years. At first it was just Eject Warp Plasma + related Eject Plasma doffs and the Metreon Gas Canisters. Later on the next Assault Cruiser came out with Metreon Gas Warhead and that ships unlock trait was Vent Metreon Laced Plasma. This turned Eject Warp plasma into AoE explosions. All of which was boosted by Exotic. (and I think there was a 3rd Eject console?)

I was running a plasma mine/plasma torpedo boat at the time as the theme matched all the plasma gas. The next Assault cruiser to come out was the Command Assault Cruiser which meant those torpedoes where firing via Concrete Firepower. So I added Subspatial Warheads trait which meant all those torpedoes are creating exotic anomalies and the Romulan Hyper Plasma creates 3 exotic anomalies per volley. Those anomalies which I would often have 15 out at once all did Physical Damage and chased down targets. So if you fit Resonating Payload Modifcation each torpedo is lowering physical resistance and creating a physical exotic based anomalies.

Before I know it , I was run picking all the Engineer powers that are boosted by Exotic and running an exotic build in a Cruiser without sci powers. (I did briefly try reverse tractor repulses)

I guess I didn’t need to say any of that. But the background explains why when I looked at your two ships I see the First's Tzenkethi Dreadnought Carrier as an amazing exotic ship while the Crossfield I wouldn't touch. THough I guess most people look at it the other way around and the see the Crossfield as the amazing exotic ship.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Drain can work very well too with a torpedo/mine layer if you want to go that route. I was more than impressed with how well my recon explorer warbird turned out. I won't claim its gives top DPS in anything, because I don't measure that, but its just as capable if not moreso than my more traditional builds in anything I take it into. I run it with two aux cannons up front, but they aren't really that important in the end, and I'm sure it could easily be modified to run three torpedoes.