test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS/Viacom Merger Announcement Expected Soon – Star Trek Re-Unification Cited As Factor (August 8th)

1235»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nickelodeon just released an Invader Zim movie on Netflix 3 days ago.
    Yeah, Jhonen wasn't very pleased with that. Apparently it was supposed to be a theatrical release originally. I mean, he's happy people finally get to see Enter the Florpus, but he really wanted it to be on the big screen. (And then there was a trailer that apparently revealed moments he wanted to come as a surprise to the viewer...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Nickelodeon just released an Invader Zim movie on Netflix 3 days ago.
    Yeah, Jhonen wasn't very pleased with that. Apparently it was supposed to be a theatrical release originally. I mean, he's happy people finally get to see Enter the Florpus, but he really wanted it to be on the big screen. (And then there was a trailer that apparently revealed moments he wanted to come as a surprise to the viewer...)

Sounds like the main Josie and the Pussycats trailer, it had every single highpoint in the movie, if you saw the trailer seeing the movie was almost a letdown.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, that is a major thing with movie trailers now - apparently no one has bothered to teach these teenage idiots they're hiring how to make spoiler-free trailers​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    yes, that is a major thing with movie trailers now - apparently no one has bothered to teach these teenage idiots they're hiring how to make spoiler-free trailers​​

At least it is just a bit better than movie trailers that completely deceive you. Years ago, I watched The Bridge to Terabithia trailer and I expected a movie similar to Narnia instead of everything in the trailer is about children's imaginations. It was a good movie, but the trailer tainted the movie.

Speaking of trailers that deceive you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ebZVowE9-Y
    it's not a time period thing - there were probably teenage idiots back in the 80s too!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    there are idiots who are far older as well, you know.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I could name a couple BIG ones... but I kinda like hanging out on the forums and would rather not derail the thread in that direction and potentially take a forced vacation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    salvation4 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »

Never understood why we were able to get the KT Enterprise and Vengeance, but not the Jellyfish or USS Kelvin considering that they belong to the Prime Universe.

The Jellyfish would probably qualify as a small craft. And while the Kelvin is Prime... she only appeared in the Kelvin Timeline movie, and was not the hero ship. Kelvin Connie is the hero ship, and the Vengeance is a powerhouse.

Why in GOD's name would you want that bucket of bolts?

Come, Come, Mr. Scott - young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

Good Morning Captain.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRf1zI2IoWQ
    :wink:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    If you want to question which is the correct timeline, try reading Q Squared.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Squared
    Q even visits the universe where Kirk's middle initial is R.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Never did get through that one. Is kind of a mess with the jumping tracks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Never did get through that one. Is kind of a mess with the jumping tracks.

My wife is reading it now. They are confounding her as well, but she's determined to make sense of it. :)
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2019

This has been a thing for like 20 years by now and did not just start recently. I noticed that first when I happened to watch Bruce Almighty, which is like 15 years old now. The trailer was all over TV so the movie simply didn't work when I saw it years later at a DVD-evening with friends.

Some trailers are just way too long and show all the highlights or they outright spoil the twists. And comedy-movies in particular kinda always had the issue of already showing the few good jokes they might have in the trailers. Or those lighthearted romantic movies that already have you know exactly how the "plot" is gonna play out.

BTW, I'm not really excited for the merge of CBS/Viacom. It opens up a few gates, which is fine, but in the end it's still gonna be roughly the same corporate body.
    That means future productions don't necessarily have to get any better than they are now. If you put any "hope" into that, you do that at your own risk that borders on guaranteed disappointment.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For just the opposite, TV Shows coming attractions for the next Episode are invariably cut to make you think one thing is happening, when it really isn't.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2019

This has been a thing for like 20 years by now and did not just start recently. I noticed that first when I happened to watch Bruce Almighty, which is like 15 years old now. The trailer was all over TV so the movie simply didn't work when I saw it years later at a DVD-evening with friends.

Some trailers are just way too long and show all the highlights or they outright spoil the twists. And comedy-movies in particular kinda always had the issue of already showing the few good jokes they might have in the trailers. Or those lighthearted romantic movies that already have you know exactly how the "plot" is gonna play out.

BTW, I'm not really excited for the merge of CBS/Viacom. It opens up a few gates, which is fine, but in the end it's still gonna be roughly the same corporate body.
    That means future productions don't necessarily have to get any better than they are now. If you put any "hope" into that, you do that at your own risk that borders on guaranteed disappointment.

True, at least as far as Star Trek on TV is concerned. In the split CBS got the Paramount TV division (what used to be Desilu and held the majority of the copyrights) while the movie division was spun off under the Paramount name, so any TV done after the merger is almost certain to be done by the same people who are doing it now. And the time away from each other probably will not improve the cooperation between the TV and movie people any.

The merger will probably cause the top executives' pet points of look and plot to bleed back and forth across the various timelines in an increased but still haphazard way but it is unlikely that they would have much in the way of actual crossovers unless the fans kick up a big fuss to make it happen for instance.

Likewise, since the shift to "epic" format in Trek that started in the late 1970s they started blocking out swaths of time as if the superhero ship (you cannot call it just a hero ship the way it is treated) was there at every single incident of interest in the universe so there is nothing left for other ships to do in that time period.

That "epic" nonsense is probably a large part of why Fuller's anthology idea was shot down, Star Trek after TOS/TAS always had a bit of the "The One Hero Ship To Save Them All" air to it and the longer the gap between shows the worse that got, and DSC's trying for the bad boy underground hero mystique changed the attitude a bit but not the rest. An anthology depends on the ship and crew being "ordinary" but thrust into heroic circumstances, and Trek moved away from that idea between the movies and TNG when they started calling the Enterprise The Flagship.
    That "epic" nonsense is probably a large part of why Fuller's anthology idea was shot down, Star Trek after TOS/TAS always had a bit of the "The One Hero Ship To Save Them All" air to it and the longer the gap between shows the worse that got, and DSC's trying for the bad boy underground hero mystique changed the attitude a bit but not the rest. An anthology depends on the ship and crew being "ordinary" but thrust into heroic circumstances, and Trek moved away from that idea between the movies and TNG when they started calling the Enterprise The Flagship.

The main problem with anthologies depending on the length of each arc, there is little to no attachment to the characters. One arc would be set in the early 22nd Century, while the next arc would be in the early 23rd Century. There is not enough time to get attached to any of the characters. Then there is the issue of the production costs would be far higher than a standard Star Trek series due to having to design a new ship, new uniforms, etc for each arc. An animated Star Trek anthology series could work.
    you can develop a character over a single season just fine...the problem occurs when the development feels forced, artificial or suddenly happens all at once in a single episode...only for the character to die at the end of that same episode *cough*airiam*cough*​​

#LegalizeAwoo

you can develop a character over a single season just fine...the problem occurs when the development feels forced, artificial or suddenly happens all at once in a single episode...only for the character to die at the end of that same episode *cough*airiam*cough*​​

But you can't have sufficient character development in one episode which was the point of my post. An anthology can be made up of one episode segments to one season segments. The only way that one episode anthologies work is shows like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits where it is not necessary to show what the early 23rd Century is like.
    Fullers idea was for four to eight episode arcs which is long enough to get attached, people get attached to characters in two hour movies after all. Also the idea was for it to be a dynamic thing with the possibility of new arcs in the future with some of the more popular ones (and the tracking that a subscription streaming site can do would make finding the most popular ones a snap).

Just as importantly, an anthology would have gone a long way in breaking the One Ship rut that Trek was in since the first movie and getting audiences reacquainted with the idea that there can be more than one story at any particular time, that the timeline is not like a fuse that leaves nothing but ash behind the "burning now" point of the current show.

The cost of costumes might get a bit high if they went for expensive fabrics (like Velvet for the 2250s and most of the 2260s, though it would still be a savings over velveteen in the long run) since they change so often, but they could save some money by reusing parts, especially if they cluster several arcs in the same general time period.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the sets would not have been that much of a cost problem with the Federation since they all use variants of only a few basic layouts that would only need some relatively minor dressing changes from ship to ship though it would require several bridge sets at once to avoid teardowns between those basic types which would increase the up-front cost but, like the velvet, save money long term (especially since they could re-dress them as other Fed or alien bridges or as auxiliary control and whatnot when not used for the current hero ship.
    As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the sets would not have been that much of a cost problem with the Federation since they all use variants of only a few basic layouts that would only need some relatively minor dressing changes from ship to ship though it would require several bridge sets at once to avoid teardowns between those basic types which would increase the up-front cost but, like the velvet, save money long term (especially since they could re-dress them as other Fed or alien bridges or as auxiliary control and whatnot when not used for the current hero ship.

But a Star Trek anthology series would not require being completely focused on Starfleet. It could have segments focused on Federation civilian life, Klingon starships and civilian life, Romulan starships and civilian life, etc. As an animated series, it would be easier to create each uniform and setting.
    edited September 2019
    It could have segments focused on Federation civilian life, Klingon starships and civilian life, Romulan starships and civilian life, etc. As an animated series, it would be easier to create each uniform and setting.

To pull that off you'd need producers and writers that are actually *creative*. Looking at DIS and the Picard-Trailers, I don't see a whole lot of creativity. A lot of it is just regurgitation of stuff previously done.

The Writers have proven that when given infinite potential in a universe with rich lore and enough nooks and crannies you could make interesting original stuff inside, they will just look at the stuff we already saw and shoehorn it in.

Sometimes, DIS felt like Rogue One. Except Star Trek has a much bigger universe to work with than Star Wars but they refuse to do something new (my hope is they start doing that in DIS Season 3, as they kinda did set up the ship literally cutting the cord to the pre-quel-premise).
    It could have segments focused on Federation civilian life, Klingon starships and civilian life, Romulan starships and civilian life, etc. As an animated series, it would be easier to create each uniform and setting.

To pull that off you'd need producers and writers that are actually *creative*. Looking at DIS and the Picard-Trailers, I don't see a whole lot of creativity. A lot of it is just regurgitation of stuff previously done.

The Writers have proven that when given infinite potential in a universe with rich lore and enough nooks and crannies you could make interesting original stuff inside, they will just look at the stuff we already saw and shoehorn it in.

Sometimes, DIS felt like Rogue One. Except Star Trek has a much bigger universe to work with than Star Wars but they refuse to do something new (my hope is they start doing that in DIS Season 3, as they kinda did set up the ship literally cutting the cord to the pre-quel-premise).

That is the problem with TV shows in general. Most TV shows rather play it safe than create an extremely creative program that takes huge risks.
    edited September 2019
    That is the problem with TV shows in general. Most TV shows rather play it safe than create an extremely creative program that takes huge risks.

That (and the rise of cheap, scripted "reality"-TV) is pretty much why I stopped watching TV altogether 10 years ago. Thanks to YouTube and co. it's become rather easy to find Reviews or hints at really good shows or movies one would overlook, so it really pays off to be as selective as possible rather than just being bombarded with braindraining BS.