test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Awakening Appears September 10th!

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Awakening will also shine a new light on Patrols, with a system that makes them easier to find and easier to play – and offers new rewards.

Truly hope this means something other than "defeat 3 waves of 5 enemies" in every system....

I hope it's at least 5 waves, more starship XP without map transitions that way.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    maybe 5 waves of 5 battleships each - *crysis nanosuit voice* MAXIMUM XP​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Patrols are normally two or so lead in ships followed by five waves of reinforcements. Leave after Wave 4 and come back in and start over.

I just hope this revamp doesn't include a mechanism to remember where you were to prevent you from doing the 4/5 Shuffle. Reason: 'to make all Patrols more valuable all the time'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Someone probably mentioned it, but considering the Discoverse's hologram tech (which was one of those things that I guess was deemed to dangerous for public knowledge/aka excuse for using tech that was not available at the time), I'd say that the Stamets Hologram is from that time, rather than a new construct.

Probably doesn't need 29th Century tech, like the Doctor's mobile emitter.

Actually... I think that its just the fact that the Constitution Class didn't have anything like a holodeck, and Pike ordered the holographic communications system ripped out due to it pretty much wrecking the Enterprise.

That last part was a lame excuse to correct the timeline. The Enterprise did not have holotechnology, communications or otherwise. The Cage was three years prior to Star Trek: Discovery start date (thirteen years before TOS compared to Discovery's ten years before TOS).

And even if there was such technology available, then there would have been examples of this in the Federation and Star Fleet outside of the Enterprise if it's was merely bad interaction with Enterprise's computer system.

On the other hand, looking at original pilot over again, it's just as well that the second pilot, 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', dropped the computer print-outs that was used in The Cage. I've yet to see anyone get upset by that ;)

TOS dialog makes it clear that it was not a case of not having holotechnology, just that they simply did not use it in the particular way that Discovery uses it, the same way that they had very little trust in autonomous AIs (the Section 31 rogue AI in DSC is probably another attempt to correct the series and set up a thematic bridge to TOS).

Then, if you go behind the scenes to the memos and series bible and stuff you find out that the blank black areas between the bridge stations were considered for use as holographic projection tables, but the SFX people were never were able to make it look anything but silly with the crude film compositors of the day (sort of like the LCARS-like context-aware controls that they could not use because the transparencies they tried to use for it would burn less than thirty seconds after lighting them up, so they threw on extra jewel buttons to cover the gaps).

Another point was that the viewscreens were actually supposed to be depth and parallax showing "window style" holographic displays (attempts to use the dolly tracks to show that failed though since it was difficult to synchronize things like that manually). For instance, when the main screen was off it was supposed to have a shimmery moiré look to it instead of a simple glass screen surface (they actually did try to show that once or twice though they were disappointed with the effect since it did not have the "optical illusion" feel they were going for and so did not use it much).

They tried a mechanical version of it with the hand communicators but decided that actually showing pictures on it was not worth the hassle and expense (they found another use for it though so the pattern itself is shown onscreen) or they would have used the same talking head in a round spot technique they used with the gooseneck MARS displays in The Cage. The actors knew that the round thing in the communicators was supposed to be a screen which is why they often looked at the communicator while talking instead of using it like a cell phone on speaker.

Also mentioned in documents was a room in the ship set up for playing back holographic recordings in a way that was so realistic that it was almost like being there (the proto-holodeck you see later in TAS then vastly improved in TNG) but none of the scripts had a need for it worth the expense of a remote shoot so it was never shown live. If TOS went to a fourth season we probably would have seen it though since they were planning to shake things up a bit to keep the show from getting stale and were discussing other parts of the ship to show the audience as part of that.

And yes, that behind the scenes stuff is not strictly canon, but it does show intent and gives a glimpse of what we would have seen had the show not been cancelled and/or if the production tech and budget was a bit better.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly the #1 cited reason is how Riker once talked about how the holodeck on the Ent-D was a new technology. Some fans think it means holodecks were a new thing, but.... there's a lot of room for interpretation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Honestly the #1 cited reason is how Riker once talked about how the holodeck on the Ent-D was a new technology. Some fans think it means holodecks were a new thing, but.... there's a lot of room for interpretation.

I'd say that the holography on the Entertprise D holodeck were the first to not have that star wars shimmering/ripply look to it, as well as not being see through.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

I'd say that the holography on the Entertprise D holodeck were the first to not have that star wars shimmering/ripply look to it, as well as not being see through.

Riker may have been talking about the pseudomatter holodeck that was a feature of most of the show, which was new enough that they also had an older model in the Ent-D as well. In one of the early episodes Tasha Yar did a demonstration in one of the older holodecks and explained that it was all just light, projected forcefields, and tractor/pressor beams to the guest. The one Yar used in that was very similar to (though probably more advanced than) the one the TOS/TAS Enterprise mounted.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Honestly seeing as we can do holograms today and projection of moving images rather then just static ones isn't exactly an impossible leap in the next 200 or so (Discovery is set in the 2250s after all). the lack of holo-coms in TOS can easily explained with reliability issues same with advanced AI, as both were shown to be rather unreliable in DSC it wouldn't be illogical for Starfleet to not use those until the issue was fixed as for aliens we simply don't see enough of their ships to say anything.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Honestly seeing as we can do holograms today and projection of moving images rather then just static ones isn't exactly an impossible leap in the next 200 or so (Discovery is set in the 2250s after all). the lack of holo-coms in TOS can easily explained with reliability issues same with advanced AI, as both were shown to be rather unreliable in DSC it wouldn't be illogical for Starfleet to not use those until the issue was fixed as for aliens we simply don't see enough of their ships to say anything.

Another issues is well that one thing. That the holograms could take over computer systems or kill crews. Might be why the enterprise might have started using less advanced technology within kirks time. While still being advanced in tos. Possibly changed software over and decided to do a more retro look and it could possibly explain why the klingon empire did the same and possibly the romulans as they had to make sure that something like that didn't happen again. While attempting to make sure That one thing would not be able to transfer to new computer systems. Possibly do to what happened to the section 31 ships. I'd imagine all the major powers at the time were told about this. While it was made classified and hushed hushed to the point of treason. I'd imagine cybernetic enhancement was restricted after this time too. Because of everything that happened.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User

This is the key thing that people seem to ignore. We now have viewscreens, pads, limited holo/augmented reality technologies, and a whole heap of other things that were shown as advanced/futuristic in TOS/TNG. If newer Star Trek shows set pre 2260 were still using tech levels and design cues from TOS, modern day fans simply wouldn't accept it as futuristic.

edited August 2019

This is the key thing that people seem to ignore. We now have viewscreens, pads, limited holo/augmented reality technologies, and a whole heap of other things that were shown as advanced/futuristic in TOS/TNG. If newer Star Trek shows set pre 2260 were still using tech levels and design cues from TOS, modern day fans simply wouldn't accept it as futuristic.

On the other hand, many do not accept DSC as futuristic looking since it has too much of the same generic LCD look as most other current sci-fi, including the near future stuff like the Mars mission movies and whatnot. TOS is the only Trek series that actually made an effort to look futuristic rather than just slightly beyond contemporary with exaggerated function. DSC is way too derivative in esthetics to come across as futuristic as TOS felt at the time it first aired despite the high budget and far better production values that DSC has today.

Speaking of production values and technology, if a modern studio did do a TOS remake using the original designs they could very easily incorporate the wilder set ideas that they just could not pull off in the 1960s. Things like the user-aware reconfiguring control panels, extruding station chairs that flattened into the floor when not in use and did not fall over in "shaking bridge" scenes, the free-air holographic readouts in the black areas between stations, and they could show the 3D window effect the main screen was supposed to have by showing parallax since that kind of illusion is trivial to pull off with programmed servo camera mounts.
    We already have those chairs flattened into the floor. Check out the crewman on the lower decks of the TOS Bridge Pack. They're sitting on the floor. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2019
    Hooray for Stamets!

It will be interesting to see how they Integrate his consciousness or person into the 25th Century. As Discovery was centuries earlier, and then we're still waiting for the jump to the 32nd. We know the Temporal Acord spawned from the 29th Temporal Starfleet from Voyager, so it will be interesting to see if Starfleet remains when Discovery starts up.

Should be FUN if nothing else to see how they write it in, and what it might hint at before Discovery airs again.

<3o:)
    0zxlclk.png
  • aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    J'ula alone proves how "off" the entirety of this games Discovery content has been. It seems clear that despite the resources poured into it, the fact that the edict to go this route from their licensee basically glossed over a lot of the Victory is Life expansion for no reason.

I completely understand the pixie dust that settled over Cryptic when they had an opportunity to work this closely with an in production Star Trek series, and since they are geeks like us, that can be forgiven.

But J'ula was implied to be the big bad of the whole shebang and she's has factored into this mess for what, all of a few seconds; and that is both crappy storytelling and a major gaffe that defies explanation?

I gave Discovery a shot watching some episodes of both seasons, before bailing out ... twice. The only thing that I found entertaining about this misbegotten ST show was the excellent portrayal of Captain Pike by Anson Mount. Beyond that seeing Number One and Vina was a plus, I did not stick around long enough to weigh in on Ethan Peck's Spock, so I haven't a clue about him?

I VERY MUCH look forward to Star Trek Online moving along to anything that is NOT Discovery!!!
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I played that stuff too, and again .... J'ula just isn't in much of it.

Mentions of her happen a lot more than she is ever "on camera" and unless she suddenly pops up a lot in the remaining content (here, I admit that is likely) which includes Beneath the Skin, those patrols and that TFO in November, well ... I refer back to the op's original remarks.

Just seemed a weird choice to me as well?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    @somtaawkhar I don't love seeing that conspiracy theory. Actually, I'm getting tired of it. :unamused:

@captainwells If "Beneath the Skin" is any indication, I wouldn't be surprised if J'ula will have undergone a similar operation as Tyler and she'll have been masquerading as another character this whole time. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    It seems clear that despite the resources poured into it, the fact that the edict to go this route from their licensee basically glossed over a lot of the Victory is Life expansion for no reason.
    I love seeing this conspiracy theory because Cryptic has confirmed, many times now that
    A. They are the ones who went to CBS to ask if they could do some Discovery content, not the other way around.
    B. Victory is Life is as done as it ever was going to be, and nothing about it was cut short due to switching to Discovery. Ambassador Kael even posted on twitter asking why people think ViL was somehow rushed or incomplete because he is legitimately confused about the notion.
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Kael's tweet seems to confirm this. For many (myself included) VIL did seem cut short if not prematurely abandoned. Everybody "rode off into the sunset" all to quickly or at least so it seemed. This has been mentioned quite a few times by quite a few people. What was done was done very well though.

My three Vanguard Jem'hadars currently play an important role in handing in contraband.

I find it interesting on how I went from full immersion with them to no immersion so quickly.

They're remembered by their ships and ship mastery traits only.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I played that stuff too, and again .... J'ula just isn't in much of it.

Mentions of her happen a lot more than she is ever "on camera" and unless she suddenly pops up a lot in the remaining content (here, I admit that is likely) which includes Beneath the Skin, those patrols and that TFO in November, well ... I refer back to the op's original remarks.

Just seemed a weird choice to me as well?
    I think the point of J'ula character character is that she isn't someone insisting on charging into the frontlines without a plan, she's House Mo'kai after all you shouldn't expect her to be Torg 2.0 (or B'vat 2.0)

Yes we've seen her only few times but her influence is present. I mean think of Palpatine/Darth Sidious from Star Wars, the heroes don't face him until well into the orginal trilogy (in the later part of the third film) but his influence is present from the start of the first film. Same for the prequels, you could even argue that his influence is present in the sequel trilogy even though those films are set after Palpatine's death.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    It seems clear that despite the resources poured into it, the fact that the edict to go this route from their licensee basically glossed over a lot of the Victory is Life expansion for no reason.
    I love seeing this conspiracy theory because Cryptic has confirmed, many times now that
    A. They are the ones who went to CBS to ask if they could do some Discovery content, not the other way around.
    B. Victory is Life is as done as it ever was going to be, and nothing about it was cut short due to switching to Discovery. Ambassador Kael even posted on twitter asking why people think ViL was somehow rushed or incomplete because he is legitimately confused about the notion.
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Kael's tweet seems to confirm this. For many (myself included) VIL did seem cut short if not prematurely abandoned. Everybody "rode off into the sunset" all to quickly or at least so it seemed. This has been mentioned quite a few times by quite a few people. What was done was done very well though.

My three Vanguard Jem'hadars currently play an important role in handing in contraband.

I find it interesting on how I went from full immersion with them to no immersion so quickly.

They're remembered by their ships and ship mastery traits only.

What Kael's tweet confirms to me is that the story they wanted to tell is finished. You have to remember that cryptic doesn't usually do follow ups much as they end story arcs.

- When we got the whole Romulan Mystery arc, we did not get updates to what Obisek and the Remans, nor where Sela had been taken until a few years down the line. For the former, they became part of New Romulus, while the latter we found in "What's left Behind" when we examine the mysterious device found on the Vaadwaur homeworld.

- When we leave the Delta Quadrant arc, we do not really get a solid idea about what happens to the non-alpha quadrant alliance members. The only ones that we know come to aid us in the Iconian war are the Kobali and the Benthans. Even after the arc is completed, We do not get a clear picture of the delta quadrant post-Iconian war.

- Nothing is stated about what happens to the Tzenkethi once the alliance learns about the Hur'q. Its like once they are defeated, they shrink back to their space in the Alpha Quadrant and let the Alliance deal with the Hur'q. We only know that Neth Parr seeks to make amends for the crimes of her people during the crisis.

It's possible that at some point in the future, we could come back to these, especially if we get a Borg Cooperative faction. For now, I just wish people drop the whole "We didn't get a satisfying close for VIL" bit.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Kael's tweet seems to confirm this.
    It literally is, and Kael's tweets confirm the EXACT OPPOSITE. If he was confirming it, he would have talked about all the stuff they cut, instead of asking why anyone thinks anything was cut at all.
    For many (myself included) VIL did seem cut short if not prematurely abandoned. Everybody "rode off into the sunset" all to quickly or at least so it seemed.
    ViL is literally the same length as any other arc in the game, sans Delta Rising which was always abnormally long for an STO arc
    -Klingon War = 7 missions
    -Specters = 6 missions
    -Wasteland = 6 missions
    -Romulan Mystery = 5 missions
    -Cloaked Intentions = 5 missions, 1 epilogue cutscene
    -Cardassian Struggle = 5 missions
    -2800 = 6 missions
    -Breen Invasion = 6 missions
    -Borg Advance = 5 missions
    -New Romulus = 5 mission repeated twice for some dumb reason
    -Solanae Dyson Sphere =3 story mission and 6 battlezone pointers
    -Delta Rising = 13 missions
    -Iconian War = 8 missions
    -Yesterday's War = 6 missions
    -Future Proof = 6 missions
    -New Frontiers = 8 missions
    -Gamma Quadrant = 7 missions

First, its not a conspiracy theory. Its called basing things off previous expansions and common sense. Speaking of which you just proved the point that it was abandoned. You are claiming 'its the same size as a regular story arc' when in fact VIL was not a regular story arc, it was an expansion. Every expansion prior to VIL had at least 10 episodes in it. LOR had well over 20, DR had 13, AOY had at least 10. VIL had 7 and one of those didn't even make it into the initial release. It then abruptly went in a completely different direction and jumped into the discovery stuff. You don't need to be a genius to see that production was shifted from VIL to the discovery content at some point during the expansions development. It had to be in order for discovery content to be released so soon after the expansion was
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    They're not happy that Discovery content followed up ViL. And they won't care if evidence exists that the ViL arc was finished as intended. They will cry foul and complain about it being "aborted" because "The Overlords demand we get force fed Discovery".

I'm with Baddmoon. I'm tired of that conspiracy theory.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Kael's tweet seems to confirm this.
    It literally is, and Kael's tweets confirm the EXACT OPPOSITE. If he was confirming it, he would have talked about all the stuff they cut, instead of asking why anyone thinks anything was cut at all.
    For many (myself included) VIL did seem cut short if not prematurely abandoned. Everybody "rode off into the sunset" all to quickly or at least so it seemed.
    ViL is literally the same length as any other arc in the game, sans Delta Rising which was always abnormally long for an STO arc
    -Klingon War = 7 missions
    -Specters = 6 missions
    -Wasteland = 6 missions
    -Romulan Mystery = 5 missions
    -Cloaked Intentions = 5 missions, 1 epilogue cutscene
    -Cardassian Struggle = 5 missions
    -2800 = 6 missions
    -Breen Invasion = 6 missions
    -Borg Advance = 5 missions
    -New Romulus = 5 mission repeated twice for some dumb reason
    -Solanae Dyson Sphere =3 story mission and 6 battlezone pointers
    -Delta Rising = 13 missions
    -Iconian War = 8 missions
    -Yesterday's War = 6 missions
    -Future Proof = 6 missions
    -New Frontiers = 8 missions
    -Gamma Quadrant = 7 missions
    I never complained about anything being cut or prematurely abandoned, it's just that it seemed to end too quickly. Perhaps this is a testament to how well VIL was done or merely a result of switching gears so quickly from it to Discovery? Kael's tweet mentions 'genuine curiosity'. I'm also genuinely curious as I happen to be one of those people left scratching my head to an extent. You can't argue with a person's perception or feelings by listing the number of missions lol. If you want to label it a conspiracy theory that's up to you, I'm just stating how it felt to me.
    What Kael's tweet confirms to me is that the story they wanted to tell is finished. You have to remember that cryptic doesn't usually do follow ups much as they end story arcs. <snip>
    I understand.
    It's possible that at some point in the future, we could come back to these, especially if we get a Borg Cooperative faction. For now, I just wish people drop the whole "We didn't get a satisfying close for VIL" bit.
    Not trying to disrupt this thread. I saw the tweet and responded honestly to it. I appreciate your in-depth response. Thank you.

p.s. to all: I enjoy Discovery and whatever else new Star Trek TV shows bring to STO so no, I'm not crying foul or anti-anything, aside from the in-game landing page :wink:
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Victory is Life was an appropriate length for a mission arc. It told the story well, resolved itself and provided a fun and overall satisfying game play experience. Not only do I not think it was never 'short changed' in any way, but I thought it was acutally a stellar example of story telling and it's overall one of my favorite story arcs. I regularly reply missions from that arc just for fun, because I enjoyed them. I still think Odo is a war criminal and should be in prison, but that's a matter of my personal opinion. :wink:

I agree, that the 'conspiracy' was just something made up by people unhappy that the next arc was a Discovery Arc. Discovery haters will stop at nothing to cast as much negativity as possible. The VIL arc was resolved and the Discovery Arc has been great so far. I am very much looking forward to the next phase of this story.. bring it on! :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    I think the main thing that led people to start the "Discovery conspiracy" is how quickly it came out after VIL. Since the devs decided to do an "expansion over time" rather than the traditional expansion, they were able to get the Discovery content out sooner, rather than wait to finish the expansion and release it all at once per usual.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    And much easier dribbling out two-packs of non-Fleet grade ships for the C-Store rather than larger packs of Fleet grade ships. Can leave the onesie Fleet grade ships for Lockboxes, Events, and R&D Promotion ships as would have been the normal course anyway. Less work there.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    It's not a conspiracy theory. Kael's tweet seems to confirm this. For many (myself included) VIL did seem cut short if not prematurely abandoned. Everybody "rode off into the sunset" all to quickly or at least so it seemed. This has been mentioned quite a few times by quite a few people. What was done was done very well though. [/quote]
    Oh please after Legacy of Romulus and Delta Rising ALL the expansions since have been 'lighter' on integrated story content.

There's no conspracy here - compared to the TOS based expansion "Agents of Yesterday" all the DS9 fans got a fully fleshed out story with a majority of original actors reprising their roles; and not just a revamped tutorial with honestly just 3 real missions (the others in AoY are so short - it's a couple of clicks worth) - and a bunch of VO for other characters lifted off TOS episode dialogue tracks. Plus they tied it to the awful TCW storyline from "Enterprise" :s

They mad an entire new (smaller) sector map for AoY that looked great to this TOS fan, but barely made ANY use of it for the A0Y expansion.

The ViL story wasn't 'cut short' - it ENDED (with the capture of the Changeling). But hey at least DS9 fans got an actual story with their characters fully involved.

It's interesting that the ONE series that started the 'Star Trek' franchise - and kept interest alive for it pretty much on its own and LEAD to TNG got such a short expansion (IMO). DS9 fans have little to TRIBBLE about in comparison.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."