test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS trademarks new series names

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://youtu.be/fQLV7XCPAq4

The first is no shocker, Star Trek: Section 31 as a DS9 fan I'm looking forward to this one. I believe that it starts shooting right after Discovery season 3 finishes shooting.

The second one is Star Trek: Prodigy , which the video think might be a Pike Series or the Nicklodeon series, but it could be for the Star Trek: Academy series that they announced, but we haven't heard much about it.

Alternately it could be something entirely.

Also while not new, we still don't know what Star Trek: Destiny is, but the video suggests its a good name for a Pike series.

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://trekmovie.com/2019/08/03/cbs-execs-talk-coordinating-discovery-and-picard-and-limitless-future-of-star-trek/

Limitless potential. They talk about the timeline and doing shows at different points of the 24th century, 23rd century, and 32 century.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    https://trekmovie.com/2019/08/03/cbs-execs-talk-coordinating-discovery-and-picard-and-limitless-future-of-star-trek/

Limitless potential. They talk about the timeline and doing shows at different points of the 24th century, 23rd century, and 32 century.

These same executives spouting 'limitless potential' are forgetting that 'franchise fatigue' is the cited reason why enterprise did so badly and was cancelled so early. and that show was the only star trek series on the air at the time. So either it was a bs claim then, or history is going to repeat itself before too long and the franchise is going to be saturated with low quality shows that flop
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Sometime last year CBS trademarked several new Trek show names
    > * Revolution
    > * Starfleet Academy
    > * Destiny
    > * Reliant
    > * Ceti Alpha V
    > * Lower Decks
    >
    > OFC, after they announced Picard we got a trademark for it, and now we have Section 31 and Prodigy
    > * Starfleet Academy is obviously about the rumored teen drama that is set there
    > * Ceti Alpha V was a 3 episode Khan mini-series that got put on hold/canned
    > * Lower Decks is the upcoming adult animated comedy
    > * Section 31 is also obviously the announced Section 31 show starting Mirror Phillipa
    > * Picard is Picard
    >
    > This leaves us with Revolution, Destiny, Reliant, and Prodigy, as unknown, with one of them likely being the Nickelodeon cartoon.

Nice clarifying.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I hope Destiny has absolutely nothing to do with the Destiny novels where it removed the Borg and explained their origin of them being Starfleet Officers and an advanced alien that were sent back in time where the alien used some broken technology to assimilate the Starfleet Officers into becoming the first Borg.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    The theory that Destiny is referring to Pike is interesting though, as he knows his destiny.

Prodigy... could apply to Starfleet Academy if you think about it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Neither of your assumptions are true

I didn't make any assumptions
    There was real franvhise fatigue then

No there wasn't, There was one series (enterprise) on the air and the movies were long over. and if you want to argue that there was 'franchise fatigue' in existence at that time then you don't have a choice but to concede my point. Even at the height of the different series being on their air, there were never more than two on the air at any given time, with the occasional movie coming out. Enterprise was literally it when it was cancelled. So if that number of series being in progress led to 'fatigue' due to over saturation, then common sense say that having, what is it in planning now? FIVE essentially concurrent series in development or at least planning stages, will have to result in a similar situation.
    and the tv industry is not the same now as it was then

BS. Too much franchise saturation is too much franchise saturation any way you cut it. The industry is what it is, as is human nature. If people were tired of it then, they will get tired of it now
    history will not be repeating itself

If history has proven anything its that it always repeats itself. That cliche exists for a reason. Its cyclical, and repeats itself on a pretty regular basis, particularly when you make a point of repeating previous mistakes. What was that about the definition of insanity being repeating the same actions and expecting different results again?
    Lastly for the love of everything stop listening to those jackasses on toutube.

What? I didn't say anything about youtube, nor do I listen to anybody regarding this stuff on it
    edited August 2019
    > @lazarus51166 said:
    > Neither of your assumptions are true
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I didn't make any assumptions
    > There was real franvhise fatigue then
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No there wasn't, There was one series (enterprise) on the air and the movies were long over. and if you want to argue that there was 'franchise fatigue' in existence at that time then you don't have a choice but to concede my point. Even at the height of the different series being on their air, there were never more than two on the air at any given time, with the occasional movie coming out. Enterprise was literally it when it was cancelled. So if that number of series being in progress led to 'fatigue' due to over saturation, then common sense say that having, what is it in planning now? FIVE essentially concurrent series in development or at least planning stages, will have to result in a similar situation.
    > and the tv industry is not the same now as it was then
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > BS. Too much franchise saturation is too much franchise saturation any way you cut it. The industry is what it is, as is human nature. If people were tired of it then, they will get tired of it now
    > history will not be repeating itself
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If history has proven anything its that it always repeats itself. That cliche exists for a reason. Its cyclical, and repeats itself on a pretty regular basis, particularly when you make a point of repeating previous mistakes. What was that about the definition of insanity being repeating the same actions and expecting different results again?
    > Lastly for the love of everything stop listening to those jackasses on toutube.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What? I didn't say anything about youtube, nor do I listen to anybody regarding this stuff on it

I didn't buy fatigue then, I don't buy it now. There was a host of factors.

And to make that the fatigue doesn't happen, not that I think that is a thing, they are making sure each show is super different from each other.

Enterprise was very simular to TOS, Voyager, and TNG in basic forumla, only DS9 broke the mold and even DS9 had some content like this.

The Star Trek multiverse is so big you could take almost any other show and drop it into the Star Trek Universe.

CSIS/Dangerous Minds, have a starship that flies around investiagting murders.

Scarface/Godfather/Sopranos, set it on that TOS mobster world.

Westwing? Read the Novel Federation politics!

Pirates of the Caribean/Black Sails, a show about Orion Pirates.

Percy Jackson, Star Trek has Greek Gods.

Dungeons and Dragons set in the Magan Universe with the Star Trek Universe.

Walking Dead? Have a Borg ship crash on a planet and have the dead borg be animated by their nanites.

Game of Thrones/Barbarian Queen, Saruk and Kathless prequels .
    Giving Q his own show show could be fun, especially if its animated.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The "franchise fatigue" was largely Moonves being tired of Star Trek (he was never a fan of it, and apparently did not like science fiction in general anway). ENT's rating were actually going up slightly when the decision to cancel was made, and for a show that had a rough start and was so far along to be going up in popularity instead of slowly slipping is noteworthy.

That said, the fact that all the Star Treks by Berman and Braga ended up dumping their original, and often unique, concepts in favor of pretty much the same flavor and formula in each probably did not help any.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    One of the Toho execs(producers of the Godzilla franchise) explained "franchise fatigue" as being more about whether you have good ideas for making things, and less about how many things you've made.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @lazarus51166 said:
    > These same executives spouting 'limitless potential' are forgetting that 'franchise fatigue' is the cited reason why enterprise did so badly and was cancelled so early. and that show was the only star trek series on the air at the time. So either it was a bs claim then, or history is going to repeat itself before too long and the franchise is going to be saturated with low quality shows that flop

No, ENT got cancelled because it was a lousy show that people stopped watching. You can literally look at the viewing numbers plummet starting the week after "A Night in Sickbay".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    reyan01 wrote: »
    'Prodigy'?

Okay - this a totally personal viewpoint...... but the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read that was 'Kirk's academy days'.
    I'm very likely WAY off - but still, that was what popped into my head.

I did think Starfleet Academy when I saw Prodigy. Some up and coming cadet. Doesn't have to be Kirk either.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Its no different than stinkers like Threshold and Spock's Brain. Every series has at least one.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Apparently ratings were actually starting to trend upwards in the last season. But Moonves was never exactly subtle in his distaste for SF in general and Trek in particular.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its no different than stinkers like Threshold and Spock's Brain. Every series has at least one.

It's a little different: those two may not be good TV, but they're so aggressively stupid they accidentally manage to be funny (perhaps if you watch them with a beer or three). That's a pretty far cry from

1) camera slowly pans over scantily clad T'Pol rubbing decon gel onto scantily clad Hoshi, who's rubbing it onto scantily clad Archer, who's rubbing it onto Porthos the dog
    1kuwti.jpg
    2) Archer behaving like a bratty little s**t instead of a professional officer when he has basically zero leverage on the people he's negotiating with
    3) Phlox insisting that Archer's real problem is he's in lust with T'Pol, which thankfully was never referenced again

Just, wut?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

It's a little different: those two may not be good TV, but they're so aggressively stupid they accidentally manage to be funny (perhaps if you watch them with a beer or three). That's a pretty far cry from

1) camera slowly pans over scantily clad T'Pol rubbing decon gel onto scantily clad Hoshi, who's rubbing it onto scantily clad Archer, who's rubbing it onto Porthos the dog
    1kuwti.jpg
    2) Archer behaving like a bratty little s**t instead of a professional officer when he has basically zero leverage on the people he's negotiating with
    3) Phlox insisting that Archer's real problem is he's in lust with T'Pol, which thankfully was never referenced again

Just, wut?

There's a reason I skip most of seasons 1 & 2 of Enterprise. This is it.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    'Prodigy'?

Okay - this a totally personal viewpoint...... but the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read that was 'Kirk's academy days'.
    I'm very likely WAY off - but still, that was what popped into my head.

No no no, there's only one possible protagonist... uh... worthy, shall we say, of the lead role for a series called "Prodigy."

It's him:
    tumblr_mt8gd7NGp91qm9htso1_500.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    No no no, there's only one possible protagonist... uh... worthy, shall we say, of the lead role for a series called "Prodigy."

It's him:

A series featuring Will Wheaton reprising his role as Wesley Crusher after his adventures with The Traveler would be interesting, but it would not be appropriate for a series called Prodigy. Maybe if it was set right after Wesley Crusher started his adventures with The Traveler.