test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS/Viacom Merger Announcement Expected Soon – Star Trek Re-Unification Cited As Factor (August 8th)

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Spock would be proud. Even if he wouldn't show it ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If it was literally the focus of the episode I can see why the producers would think it was a weaksauce concept.
    Knowing Moore, the focus of the episode would probably be the cost of these torpedoes. E.g. what do they have to do to ge them? Do they have to sacrifice their Federation ideals, or is there an acceptable compromise?

One could easily imagine a scenario where Janeway wants to make a deal with some alien species about some supplies, but Chakotay finds out some dirty secret about them that makes him oppose the deal.

Of course, it could also be some exploration story, where they collect some seemingly natural occurring antimatter and later find out that they were stealing antimatter alien babies. (Or that's what the aliens they are buying it from do.)

Or maybe it could be a heist-type story, where they decide to steal what they need from a disreputable group of aliens.

There is obviously a lot of potential for a story around collecting resources to run a starship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Well, Moore was at least partly responsible for the two-parter in nBSG about how they managed to build a new Viper aboard the Galactica, even though they lacked proper machining areas. And as a bonus, due to using available materials rather than the usual hullmetal, the fighter they build had stealth capabilities, which came in handy during the raid on the Resurrection Ship. (Then they met up with the Pegasus, which did have those machine shops, and didn't build any more stealth fighters, which IMO was a pity - sure, they were hard to control, but once a pilot learned how, they provided a tremendous advantage over the enemy...)

Besides, imagine the later story possibilities if they'd had to replace some section of the Voyager, maybe another storage bay or something, with a cyclotron to produce antimatter for the torpedoes. Because that becomes either a liability, or (given Starfleet's tendency to route things through other things) a whole new kind of defensive/offensive system.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, Moore was at least partly responsible for the two-parter in nBSG about how they managed to build a new Viper aboard the Galactica, even though they lacked proper machining areas. And as a bonus, due to using available materials rather than the usual hullmetal, the fighter they build had stealth capabilities, which came in handy during the raid on the Resurrection Ship. (Then they met up with the Pegasus, which did have those machine shops, and didn't build any more stealth fighters, which IMO was a pity - sure, they were hard to control, but once a pilot learned how, they provided a tremendous advantage over the enemy...)

Besides, imagine the later story possibilities if they'd had to replace some section of the Voyager, maybe another storage bay or something, with a cyclotron to produce antimatter for the torpedoes. Because that becomes either a liability, or (given Starfleet's tendency to route things through other things) a whole new kind of defensive/offensive system.

True it could be rather interesting. Maybe they could have used it to produce materials besides heavy-antimatter too (dilithium and latinum cannot be replicated for instance, although the dilithium can be recrystallized if it cracks or overheats ever since The Voyage Home).

Another possibility could have been to develop some simpler, less powerful torpedoes that could use the anti-deuterium slush they could get from the bussard scoops (the real world theory the show's scoops are based on says you could get either matter or anti-matter depending on velocity, or something along those lines) without requiring the more exotic stuff to function.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    every federation starship is constructed of rock - even nowadays

that same rubble was all over the bridge of the discovery and enterprise during their battle with control's fleet​​

Without shield technology or FTL technology, that might be what we use for starships in the future. Just convert an asteroid into a starship.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    One could easily imagine a scenario where Janeway wants to make a deal with some alien species about some supplies, but Chakotay finds out some dirty secret about them that makes him oppose the deal.

Of course, it could also be some exploration story, where they collect some seemingly natural occurring antimatter and later find out that they were stealing antimatter alien babies. (Or that's what the aliens they are buying it from do.)

Or maybe it could be a heist-type story, where they decide to steal what they need from a disreputable group of aliens.

There is obviously a lot of potential for a story around collecting resources to run a starship.

I think something similar was handled with the Equinox and those aliens that had been constantly attacking her.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    well, now we know why we're suddenly getting more KT stuff - the merger was probably already a done deal months ago; anything after would be the typical loose end tie-ups​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Gonna prove interesting where it's decided to take all the branches of the 'franchise'.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    It might mean potential crossovers like how we can cross into the Mirror Universe.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Heh. Now we can rally for Star Trek Online: The Motion Picture. It could happen...
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @psiameese said:
    > Heh. Now we can rally for Star Trek Online: The Motion Picture. It could happen...

I'd love it.
    I hope ViacomViacomCBS spells out the effect this will have on Star Trek.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I hope ViacomViacomCBS spells out the effect this will have on Star Trek.
    the merger? They'd already worked out how the assorted parts of the IP fit together, now it's all one rights holder.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I didn't realize that Nickelodeon was part of this new empire.

Now I have an urge to write a Star Trek/Paw Patrol crossover...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User

That would not be any crazier than some of the kid-Trek proposals that have already been kicked around in Hollywood. In fact, TAS came about because Roddenberry still had some pull in Hollywood when it came to Trek at the time and insisted that any animated Trek had to avoid all the silliness and be for all audiences, not just children, and Filmation was willing to use that family oriented format.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Heh. Now we can rally for Star Trek Online: The Motion Picture. It could happen...

So the protagonists would encounter the horrors of ESD Chat?
    starkaos wrote: »
    psiameese wrote: »

So the protagonists would encounter the horrors of ESD Chat?

Right? The starship Coms officer constantly throwing out jamming signals. Due to constant, useless subspace chatter. Could be a running gag throughout the film. Then, finally, they throw their ear piece on the floor and crush it under their boot.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

One of the 2 animated shows in planning is intended for Nickelodeon. Just send them your script, like in the god old TNG era days. :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    https://sciencefiction.com/2019/08/14/cbs-viacom-merger-reunites-star-trek-tv-and-film-divisions/

How long do you guys think the approval process is going to take? I think for right now between approval process, transition period, and other stuff I think Discovery, Section 31, Picard, Lower Decks, and STN (Star Trek Nickelodeon for lack of a better name) are safe. It's also still possible that Pike could still get his own series, or hear me out, a new opportunity could have arisened giving Mont Arson's Pike his own movie, he's cheaper then Chris Helmworth and Chris Pine, but still well liked and very charming, and it would bring the movie Francise back to the Prime Universe.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    well, unless nickelodeon does adult stuff as well, their content isn't worth mentioning for those who don't have kids...or aren't feeling nostalgic about shows they watched as kids​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > well, unless nickelodeon does adult stuff as well, their content isn't worth mentioning for those who don't have kids...or aren't feeling nostalgic about shows they watched as kids​​

I image some content is more all ages then just for kids.
    I think it's stupid that they have separate streaming for CBS All Access and Showtime and Pluto. Make it one Streaming Service.
    And now I have to wonder if, after all is said and done, CBS AA will stream the oddest programming choice Nickelodeon ever made, Invader ZIM.

I mean, at some point someone at Nickelodeon seriously sat down, thought about what kind of show might go with Rocket Power and The Wild Thornberrys, and decided to solicit an idea from the creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and I Feel Sick.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png