test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Potential SPOILERS for STO] Star Trek Picard SDCC

kellmg96#5851 kellmg96 Member Posts: 858 Arc User

SPOILERS

So Picard is back
as is Data (Brent Spiner) and 7 of 9 (Jeri ryan)
as are the Borg

Could this be the game changer STO is talking about
Could they have gotten all three big stars in?
I redact NOTHING
bvpbRd1.jpg

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    7 of 9 is already in-game.

I will say, Data seemingly being resurrected in B4, and the Borg seemingly invading former Romulan Space, seems a lot like STO's background.
    One of the devs mentioned that when the Picard show was in pre-production the writers asked to be given a copy of the backstory for STO. It's possible they wrote the Picard Show to follow along with it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    One of the devs mentioned that when the Picard show was in pre-production the writers asked to be given a copy of the backstory for STO. It's possible they wrote the Picard Show to follow along with it.
    I was thinking of that when I made that comment.

If so it certainly would not be the first time Star Trek has pulled something in from third party Trek sources and made it an official plot point, macguffin, or design or whatever. :)
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Not to be picky. But shouldn't this topic be in a different sub-forum?
    edited July 2019
    linkety:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlY516VbHBY

Picard, B4, HUGH!??!!, new guy.
    Also, it's all but confirmed that the plot involves either the Cooperative or a similar organization.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    linkety:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlY516VbHBY

Picard, B4, HUGH!??!!, new guy.
    Also, it's all but confirmed that the plot involves either the Cooperative or a similar organization.

At this point I tend to agree and i'm more convinced than ever that a borg faction is coming next year with the next major expansion. Why? Because three things caught my attention in that trailer:

1. That borg ship had blue internal lighting not green. Thats the color of the cooperative and unique specifically to STO
    2. The rifles those two romulans were carrying in the 'no assimilations in x days' scene look identical to the plasma rifles romulan characters use in STO. That doesn't happen by accident
    3. That scene with the guy on the medical bed looked an awful lot like the medical bay and the experiments going on on hakeevs ship. Right down to the design of the room

That aside, there is the fact that the entire background story sounds like it took inspiration from STO with the borg-romulan stuff. Which is all the more interesting when you take into account that the staff for the series asked for information regarding STOs storyline. They did that for a reason

and then there is the whole 'we want to do borg 2.0' and the fact that next year fits the general cycle of 2 years per major expansion, which they already mentioned as 'changing the face of the game.' I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out they are trying to tie STO into another running series by basing the next major update on this series. They're also keeping tight lipped about future content for a reason. Remember we knew victory is life was coming nearly a year in advance

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    They certainly seem to be doing a lot with the Borg and the Romulans in this series. Fitting, as the show seems to be set in the late 2390's, about ten years after the Hobus supernova. I'm beyond hyped for Seven especially. I wonder if she'll go by Seven of Nine, or Annika Hansen?
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    7 of 9 is already in-game.

I will say, Data seemingly being resurrected in B4, and the Borg seemingly invading former Romulan Space, seems a lot like STO's background.

I'm glad that STO (if not elements of it) is finally making it into Star Trek canon. :)

Closet we got was the DiscoMirrorverse's Defiant, which had STO elements to it.

Some people thought the Defiant looked the way it did because of tinkering by the DiscoMirrorverse's Terran Empire, but it's more like testing the water of how far Star Trek: Discovery could get away with moving away from the canon appearance of the Constitution-Class starship without hitting backlash.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I'll just say I had absolutely no excitement for this show at all until I saw the trailer.

The idea of Picard hanging out at a vinyard as a senior citizen sounded about as exciting as a colonoscopy.

The trailer however, actually makes it look like there are characters around Picard that might actually be interesting. Plus, Jeri Ryan is in it so.. sold! :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'm still cautiously optimistic. I don't want to set my hopes too high and make it impossible to enjoy the show. One thing I'm super hyped over and can't help myself with is to see big bad borg ships in 2019 cinematic visual effects standards.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I'm glad Seven got a personality....I bet they asked her to come back and she was like ...no cat suit, and I need a personality

That cube looks like it's a rehab for former Borg, or where Borg weapons are being made cause it has Romulan guards all the borg alcoves are white

GwaoHAD.png
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    That cube looks like it's a rehab for former Borg, or where Borg weapons are being made cause it has Romulan guards all the borg alcoves are white

Too early to tell for sure, but those Romulans didn't look particularly friendly. I was getting more of a X-Men vibe from that shot, with the Romulan guards holding "dangerous Borg" prisoners, whether those people were actually dangerous, Borg, or otherwise. Coupled with that shot of what might be Romulan ships approaching Vulcan, and that shot of what looks like Picard being taken prisoner by Romulans, I have a feeling that we're going to see something similar to the Tal Shiar's Borg experiments from STO.

That's just my opinion though, and I very well may be wrong.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Nice to see Seven embrace her humanity.

As for the Borg Cube... it looked more like some kind of salvage operation or something.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > 7 of 9 is already in-game.
    >
    > I will say, Data seemingly being resurrected in B4, and the Borg seemingly invading former Romulan Space, seems a lot like STO's background.
    >
    >
    >
    > One of the devs mentioned that when the Picard show was in pre-production the writers asked to be given a copy of the backstory for STO. It's possible they wrote the Picard Show to follow along with it.

That was extremely conciderate, most TV writers don't seem nearly as respectful to video game versions, so that is pretty cool.
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Nice to see Seven embrace her humanity.
    >
    > As for the Borg Cube... it looked more like some kind of salvage operation or something.

They should have kept the cat suit IMHO, it had some sort of medicinal properties for her borg implants.
    Back when Seven was first liberated maybe. But this is years after that. So she might not need it anymore. Also there were a few times we saw Seven not in the catsuit and she seemed fine.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer and I may give the new series a viewing. Is it just me or did the effects team reduce the cranial ridges on Romulans? Almost to the point where they more strongly resemble the Vulcans than they did in TNG and beyond. I like that personally as I always found the ridges a bit off-putting when I first saw them in "The Neutral Zone" and subsequent episodes. I, for one, am happy that are less pronounced but still slightly present. Heck! Will have to wait and see. The ones talking could be Vulcans for all I know. :p
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    edited July 2019
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Back when Seven was first liberated maybe. But this is years after that. So she might not need it anymore. Also there were a few times we saw Seven not in the catsuit and she seemed fine.

Briefly she is fine, but she has to go back to wearing it or...or seven will die, she needs it for survival. Yeah, that sounds right for survival.
    Again... we have to consider how long its been since then. Medical tech would have advanced, especially since she's in the Alpha Quadrant, with access to the full resources of Starfleet Medical, Daystrom Institute, and god knows what else.
    But none of it compares to the Borg Queens technology that requires Seven wear the cat suit to survive, as punishment for Seven growing her hair back.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Back when Seven was first liberated maybe. But this is years after that. So she might not need it anymore. Also there were a few times we saw Seven not in the catsuit and she seemed fine.

She also seemed much more relaxed in her mannerisms and speech when talking with Picard. I like that it will be inferred that she's grown and adapted more since we last saw her in VOY.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    I'm also liking that detail too. Seven actually embraced her humanity, and let her hair down.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I got the impression Seven wore it because she liked it. In-universe it just felt natural to the character.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @markhawkman said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > 7 of 9 is already in-game.
    >
    > I will say, Data seemingly being resurrected in B4, and the Borg seemingly invading former Romulan Space, seems a lot like STO's background.
    >
    > One of the devs mentioned that when the Picard show was in pre-production the writers asked to be given a copy of the backstory for STO. It's possible they wrote the Picard Show to follow along with it.

That was extremely conciderate, most TV writers don't seem nearly as respectful to video game versions, so that is pretty cool.
    That or they were fishing for ideas. I think it's great, but at the same time it's not necessarily being done because they're nice guys. I wouldn't call it laziness either. They're seemingly taking the large scale story beats(a few paragraphs) and building on those to make a TV series.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer and I may give the new series a viewing. Is it just me or did the effects team reduce the cranial ridges on Romulans? Almost to the point where they more strongly resemble the Vulcans than they did in TNG and beyond. I like that personally as I always found the ridges a bit off-putting when I first saw them in "The Neutral Zone" and subsequent episodes. I, for one, am happy that are less pronounced but still slightly present. Heck! Will have to wait and see. The ones talking could be Vulcans for all I know. :p

The ridges were originally supposed to be retcon of vulcanoids in general (all the Vulcans in the background in early TNG had them for instance) as part of the weird forhead fetish TNG seems to have had but they proved to be unpopular with the audience so they downplayed them into only some vulcanoids have them.

Back when FASA was part of the loop Paramount told them the reason had to do with adaptations for resisting iron poisoning and higher humidity on other worlds (like Remus in FASA's take on the Romulan "twin worlds" concept) which is why TNG dropped most of the ridges from Vulcans but kept them on most Romulans. With the IP handoff the split caused that is probably moot now though.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    people keep bringing up vulcans and romulans in reference to the ones seen with pointed ears int he trailer...but you're forgetting that there was a THIRD species with knife-ears seen in TNG - mintakans​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    As for Data I think he's still "dead" his consciousness been uploaded into a holodeck or something and Picard has been playing poker with him for years while they find a way to rebuild him and now that he's going off to help the girl, he says bye to Data and how he doesn't want the game to end
    GwaoHAD.png
    There's still the possibility that Data was reborn in B4. Or that they were actually able to recover most of Data's parts.

Or maybe they at least found his head. I can think of one other android with almost the exact same specifications as Data that could be used to bring him back. Lore. All they would really need is Data's head.