Install Arc

New Temporal Ship Bundle - Worth it?

Comments

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    lasonio wrote: »
    I will more then likely get the warbird on my federation captain but mainly because I want to see what the heart of sol trait and what the console does. hopefully the damage boost is 10-15% if not then I really cant see myself slotting it.

From the blog the respective energy damage only reads as +dmg and not +bonus dmg so I hope it will be a lot whole more than just those few percent. One should also note that the +dmg increase is only for one single energy type, so a strict limitation, which usually gets rewarded with better stats.

At this point we can only wait and see until any final numbers are given or better yet, feedback from players about it is given. My careful guess is that cryptic will make the new trait(s) a bit better than promise of ferocity or attack from shadows. Both were general weapon buffing abilities suitable for all weapons while here we look at something (as far as energy weapons are concerned) rather or even (as far as a discrete energy type is concerned) very specific.

But who knows. :)

From the livestream, 10% haste and 5% bonus to energy type

5% cat 2 or 1 ? Also how long does it last?

Trait stats:
    Attack Pattern Beta or any Temporal Operative Boff Ability:

10% Firing Cycle Haste for Energy Weapons for 20 sec

+5% Bonus Phaser/Disruptor/Plasma/Polaron (means Cat2 bonus) (FED/KDF/ROM/DOM respectively) for 20 sec
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, as a rule up until now 'Bonus Damage' has always been Cat2 which makes it a more desirable trait.

I am on the fence about a purchase.. too much ambiguity around how the trait works and lack of information from Cryptic has me leaning toward just skipping it.

I'll evaluate once they're in game and we learn how they actually work.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I will more then likely get the warbird on my federation captain but mainly because I want to see what the heart of sol trait and what the console does. hopefully the damage boost is 10-15% if not then I really cant see myself slotting it.

From the blog the respective energy damage only reads as +dmg and not +bonus dmg so I hope it will be a lot whole more than just those few percent. One should also note that the +dmg increase is only for one single energy type, so a strict limitation, which usually gets rewarded with better stats.

At this point we can only wait and see until any final numbers are given or better yet, feedback from players about it is given. My careful guess is that cryptic will make the new trait(s) a bit better than promise of ferocity or attack from shadows. Both were general weapon buffing abilities suitable for all weapons while here we look at something (as far as energy weapons are concerned) rather or even (as far as a discrete energy type is concerned) very specific.

foxman00 wrote: »

Trait stats:

+5% Bonus Phaser/Disruptor/Plasma/Polaron (means Cat2 bonus) (FED/KDF/ROM/DOM respectively) for 20 sec

Thanks for the info the both of you. :)

Yeah, as a rule up until now 'Bonus Damage' has always been Cat2 which makes it a more desirable trait.

I am on the fence about a purchase.. too much ambiguity around how the trait works and lack of information from Cryptic has me leaning toward just skipping it.

Oh thank god you saying that as I tried to blame all misunderstandings I have with the descriptions we got so for the new ship’s trait handouts on the language barrier. :D

If I got it right now this is a very special way to unlock things?

Lets say,

if my fed toons using polaron or plasma try to unlock any of the traits from the (3?) ships they can claim they still won’t be able to use the trait version with polaron or plasa bonus dmg, right?

Or,

if my kdf aligned romulan claims the kdf ship and unlocks the trait it will only get the plasma bonus dmg one, right?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User

foxman00 wrote: »

Trait stats:

Thanks for the info the both of you. :)

Oh thank god you saying that as I tried to blame all misunderstandings I have with the descriptions we got so for the new ship’s trait handouts on the language barrier. :D

Lets say,

if my fed toons using polaron or plasma try to unlock any of the traits from the (3?) ships they can claim they still won’t be able to use the trait version with polaron or plasa bonus dmg, right?

Or,

if my kdf aligned romulan claims the kdf ship and unlocks the trait it will only get the plasma bonus dmg one, right?

I say it will become clear tomorrow :) As many of us work through the traits and equip them
    pjxgwS8.jpg

Lets say,

Or,

From what it looks like.. you understand correctly. It seems that the energy weapon bonus on the trait is tied to the allegiance of the captain. So this means that a Federation Captain could never unlock the Polaron or Plasma variant of the trait.

The entire thing is silly and completely unnecessary. They could have just made the trait +5% Bonus Energy Weapon damage and put that on all the ships and bang.. problem solved.

Why they have to make everything so convoluted is beyond me.

This is assuming we even understand the trait correctly. If only we had a Community Manager to pass information on to the player base.

He'll probably gloss over it for 5 seconds on a live stream and it will be our fault for not knowing.

I'm about done with Cryptic and their horrid methods of disseminating information. It's all just a big guessing game and I am fed up with it.
    edited July 2019

Lets say,

Or,

From what it looks like.. you understand correctly. It seems that the energy weapon bonus on the trait is tied to the allegiance of the captain. So this means that a Federation Captain could never unlock the Polaron or Plasma variant of the trait.

The entire thing is silly and completely unnecessary. They could have just made the trait +5% Bonus Energy Weapon damage and put that on all the ships and bang.. problem solved.

Why they have to make everything so convoluted is beyond me.

This is assuming we even understand the trait correctly. If only we had a Community Manager to pass information on to the player base.

He'll probably gloss over it for 5 seconds on a live stream and it will be our fault for not knowing.

I'm about done with Cryptic and their horrid methods of disseminating information. It's all just a big guessing game and I am fed up with it.

Thanks for confirming Sea.

The traits are not bad but it’s not as if they are so good that I would expect players to re-arrange the energy types they already use around them.

With such a limitation one almost gets the feeling that cryptic does not want players to make use of the entire pack and only select one of the ships if it happens to fit.

Since they clearly gave the traits different names instead of just a general one it could also be that the open up the distribution method of the traits from this current sub-faction to a general faction basis later on.

If they do that buying a single ship now is not a good idea as one breaks the pack then but frankly buying more than one ship now would be a total waste of zen for me. I have three fed toons sitting on phaser and a single kdf using disruptor.

But even here the traits have to compete with the pretty good stuff that’s already around. :/
    animated.gif
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    While new ships are generally welcome and I loves me the D-Beam, it would be nicer if we had some new content post Gamma to explore in our shiny new ships
    But even here the traits have to compete with the pretty good stuff that’s already around. :/

Yeah, I totally agree.

The uncertainty on the trait coupled with the fact that while nice looking, these ships BoFF seating isn't really great for what I like to do (too thin on Engineering) means it will probably be a pass for me. Honestly, even if the trait didn't match your energy type (using the Phaser trait on a Plasma ship) it will still probably be a nice trait just for the haste.. but even on a matching build, is it worth taking over something like Promise of Ferocity? Or even a free trait like Improved Critical Systems?

Obviously, that depends on how long the trait lasts.. which of course they can't be bothered to tell us, but more then likely it will be a wash with a trait we already have. That's the best case scenario.
    Yeah, but you have to admit - it's a pretty awful, and potentially expensive, way of finding out whether a trait is worthwhile or not.

This is my problem with it as well. They give us vague or missing information, don't answer any questions then expect us to pay money and 'hope for the best.'

I'm not buying anything unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

Of course, you can't even do that.. because they could always just change it later. Since the trait would be the most appealing thing to me, I think my best course of action is to pass on this.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    dumas13 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    But having just one means also only getting only one trait. Do you run all your toons with plasma or polaron?

Then again, I always buy packs even if just to collect the Admiralty cards anyway.

The way the news post is phrased, it looks like the trait is actually determined by your toon's faction, not which ship you're flying:
    Additionally, the traits and consoles from these ships adjust slightly to theme to your faction! All starships come with the same console, but the passive boost will change which energy type it boosts. For Starship Traits, the both the name and the damage type affected will change. In both cases, Dominion captains will be getting a boost to Polaron weaponry, Romulan captains to Plasma weaponry, Klingon captains to Disruptor weaponry, and Starfleet captains to Phaser weaponry, as fits their signature weapons.

The ship stat blocks list three to four traits per ship, each one tagged "[faction] characters only". I think that means that a Federation captain will only learn Heart of Sol no matter which of these ships they fly, or how many they level up. The console description towards the bottom of the post also says "based on your faction" when it lists the passive damage bonus.

I happen to run some KDF, Rom, and Jem toons with "faction themed" weapon types and almost always have Attack Pattern: Beta slotted, but I'm not sure how well the trait and console fit their builds otherwise. This looks like an interesting experiment, but I wonder how many people will just buy the Warbird or Jem ship to get the trait, console, and Admiralty card for every toon at once.
    Well, that's just stupid. Being stuck with only the plasma trait is worthless (not being allowed the disruptor one would already have been bad enough). :disappointed:

Oh well, two less traitbait to grind, I guess. A ship is a ship is an admiralty card.
    edited July 2019

Yeah, I totally agree.

The uncertainty on the trait coupled with the fact that while nice looking, these ships BoFF seating isn't really great for what I like to do (too thin on Engineering) means it will probably be a pass for me. Honestly, even if the trait didn't match your energy type (using the Phaser trait on a Plasma ship) it will still probably be a nice trait just for the haste.. but even on a matching build, is it worth taking over something like Promise of Ferocity? Or even a free trait like Improved Critical Systems?

Obviously, that depends on how long the trait lasts.. which of course they can't be bothered to tell us, but more then likely it will be a wash with a trait we already have. That's the best case scenario.
    Yeah, but you have to admit - it's a pretty awful, and potentially expensive, way of finding out whether a trait is worthwhile or not.

This is my problem with it as well. They give us vague or missing information, don't answer any questions then expect us to pay money and 'hope for the best.'

Of course, you can't even do that.. because they could always just change it later. Since the trait would be the most appealing thing to me, I think my best course of action is to pass on this.

I'm in the same boat. The trait is/was the primary draw for me, with my motivation admittedly being the benefit it might bring to my DSC Connie build.

Still - the trait AND the console, which offers a "passive boost" to the selected energy weapon type should be of benefit on paper - just a pity they've been so vague regarding the specifics.

What most use for energy boats can be classified carefully bit in an order of importance:

1) Build essentials or “must have” stuff peeps always tend to take:
    - Emergency Weapons Power Cycle (+20% haste, -50% weapons power costs)
    - Withering Barrage / Redirecting Arrays (longer duration of main firing mode)

2) Highly beneficial but also highly situational stuff (can be outsourced in high end runs or not needed in easy content):
    - Cold Hearted (massive de-buff for general PvE)
    - Superior Aerea Denial (de-buff /pet buff for general PvE)
    - Invincible (self-sustainability in bad pugs or elite maps)
    - Honored Dead (self-sustainability in bad pugs or elite maps)

3) Very good DPS filler Traits:
    - Weapon Emitter Overdrive (+10% crit H, +50% Acc)
    - Vaulting Ambition (175% Crit D for critters below 20% hull)
    - Strike From Shadows (+5% crit H, +5% Bonus dmg)
    - Promise of Ferocity (+20% Bonus dmg after 20 seconds)
    - Calm Before the Storm (~33%/2 haste)

Now the new trait with its 10% haste and 5% bonus dmg is something that likely lines up in class c). Since the first 2 traits there are mega expensive peeps will most likely compare them with Strike, Promise or Calm. I can’t tell how much this 10% haste for energy weapons will give compared to, let’s say, 5% ship wide Crit H from Strike from shadows. I’m sure some reddit math geeks will filter it out, also the league admins test stuff rather fast so we should know better during the weekend.

I doubt the trait will turn out to be a “must have” or anything in light of the growing number of alternatives. Still, depending on the alternatives you *do* have (personaly) it could be worth getting. :)

If cryptic would not have pooed up the new means of trait distribution to sub-faction energy type limitations I would just have bought the whole pack during the discount weekend (including the deal with the token). There would have been “enough potential” amongst my 12 builds (10 of them are energy weapons) to justify it.

But the way they get released now I’m highly skeptical to buy even one ship at the sole chance to get a slightly better DPS filler trait for 2 maybe 3 fed toons of mine.

animated.gif
    edited July 2019

Yeah, I totally agree.

I'm in the same boat. The trait is/was the primary draw for me, with my motivation admittedly being the benefit it might bring to my DSC Connie build.

Still - the trait AND the console, which offers a "passive boost" to the selected energy weapon type should be of benefit on paper - just a pity they've been so vague regarding the specifics.

What most use for energy boats can be classified carefully bit in an order of importance:

1) Build essentials or “must have” stuff peeps always tend to take:
    - Emergency Weapons Power Cycle (+20% haste, -50% weapons power costs)
    - Withering Barrage / Redirecting Arrays (longer duration of main firing mode)

2) Highly beneficial but also highly situational stuff (can be outsourced in high end runs or not needed in easy content):
    - Cold Hearted (massive de-buff for general PvE)
    - Superior Aerea Denial (de-buff /pet buff for general PvE)
    - Invincible (self-sustainability in bad pugs or elite maps)
    - Honored Dead (self-sustainability in bad pugs or elite maps)

3) Very good DPS filler Traits:
    - Weapon Emitter Overdrive (+10% crit H, +50% Acc)
    - Vaulting Ambition (175% Crit D for critters below 20% hull)
    - Strike From Shadows (+5% crit H, +5% Bonus dmg)
    - Promise of Ferocity (+20% Bonus dmg after 20 seconds)
    - Calm Before the Storm (~33%/2 haste)

Now the new trait with its 10% haste and 5% bonus dmg is something that likely lines up in class c). Since the first 2 traits there are mega expensive peeps will most likely compare them with Strike, Promise or Calm. I can’t tell how much this 10% haste for energy weapons will give compared to, let’s say, 5% ship wide Crit H from Strike from shadows. I’m sure some reddit math geeks will filter it out, also the league admins test stuff rather fast so we should know better during the weekend.

I doubt the trait will turn out to be a “must have” or anything in light of the growing number of alternatives. Still, depending on the alternatives you *do* have (personaly) it could be worth getting. :)

If cryptic would not have pooed up the new means of trait distribution to sub-faction energy type limitations I would just have bought the whole pack during the discount weekend (including the deal with the token). There would have been “enough potential” amongst my 12 builds (10 of them are energy weapons) to justify it.

But the way they get released now I’m highly skeptical to buy even one ship at the sole chance to get a slightly better DPS filler trait for 2 or 3 fed toons of mine.

To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one. The only trait I'd be willing to drop is Promise of Ferocity, as in many cases (particuarly in a high DPS team) the benefit doesn't/barely even 'kick(s) in'. However, I'm not convinced that the new trait (from the new warships) will be significantly better.

So I guess my choice comes down to:
    Keep 'Promise of Ferocity' (but with the setback already noted)
    Buy new Warship and see how the trait from that performs, along with the passive bonus to phasers
    Buy Tucker class and gain 'Redirecting Arrays' - which, as you note, seems more of a 'must have'.

Or I guess could see if can scrape enough EC together for the Mirror Escort Carrier and "Superior Area Denial" - with the ship I have in mind for the trait (DSC Connie), a trait that benefits pets AND Starship seems like a good one. But not keen on how expensive this would prove to be.

Sadly I cannot give you an "right" answer or advice here. :|

Power-creep and DPS is always a „risky“ business as far as longevity is concerned. With that I don’t mean necessarily nerfs but simply the fact that old stuff gets constantly replaced with new stuff being better making the old stuff “obsolete”. Now we have some cheap traits and items on builds never to be dropped for almost half a decade now while the most exclusive things form the most expensive origins can be mega-nice today but out of order by tomorrow.

If you ever can get a shot at Superior Area Denial it will surely shine espcially on a general PvE Discoprise (think the best of the choices here). Besides Sea’s recommendations to give it to the toon that I eventually did was that I just happen to have exactly that trait on it sealing my decision. Now it sadly costs a fortune probably until the next infinity lock box release. It is a mega good trait, team beneficial and for the Discoprise's pets in particular good to have but perhaps you should wait a tiny bit here till it gets cheaper?

As for Redirecting Arrays I’d weight such a zen store purchase against how many toons of yours it can be use on (I have 5 toons using it so yea is worth it). Do you have more fed side beam boats?

As for the new trait just let us enjoy the fruits of a well networked community and wait till, let’s say Sunday, when the sale is close to run out? Giving thumbs up or down on such things is a cool services of the league and splitting hairs on the finest details of number crunching a cool service of reddit.
    animated.gif
    If you ever can get a shot at Superior Area Denial it will surely shine espcially on a general PvE Discoprise (think the best of the choices here). Besides Sea’s recommendations to give it to the toon that I eventually did was that I just happen to have exactly that trait on it sealing my decision. Now it sadly costs a fortune probably until the next infinity lock box release. It is a mega good trait, team beneficial and for the Discoprise's pets in particular good to have but perhaps you should wait a tiny bit here till it gets cheaper?

Man, I wish I had Superior Area Denial for my Discoprise.. I both envy and hate you. :lol::lol:

I have it on my Romulans and my KDF since they can get it cheap, it's a great trait. Works great on a Scimitar with the Elite Drones. For feds though.. yeah, ouch.. way too expensive just for a trait. That was the one thing my AOY didn't have that I really wanted. She had all the other better traits, DPRM, etc.. but that one so far is just too expensive to chase. :disappointed:
    edited July 2019

Man, I wish I had Superior Area Denial for my Discoprise.. I both envy and hate you. :lol::lol:

I have it on my Romulans and my KDF since they can get it cheap, it's a great trait. Works great on a Scimitar with the Elite Drones. For feds though.. yeah, ouch.. way too expensive just for a trait. That was the one thing my AOY didn't have that I really wanted. She had all the other better traits, DPRM, etc.. but that one so far is just too expensive to chase. :disappointed:

Yea. Unfortunately the price is obscene at the moment. :(

Back then I was very lucky to actually draw one with the keys I got from @kurumimorishita s screenshot contests. I also bought it for three other toons for a fraction of what it cost now, one of them Telora. In high end runs it is a strict support trait taken by the Recluse wing men so if you miss it out it’s not as big of a problem there. Of course for the Discoprise pets it’s just sweet as they get faw 1 over it while otherwise they don’t have any special firing mode and in general PvE you are never supported anyway so more de-buffs are more de-buffs there.

As for this de-buff part you, yourself have Cold Hearted turning hard critters into pasta in general PvE. Since @reyan01 does not have access to that one I think SAD is technically the best thing for him to get eventhough it comes at a high price. But we all pay that sooner or later if we play the DPS game, don't we Reyan? >:)

https%3A%2F%2Fi.cdn.tbs.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2F2017%2F04%2FStarWarsRevengeOfTheSith-1600x900.jpg
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I currently own every Store ship in the game...so I certainly will be purchasing these to include in the collection.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Been reading through the debates in this thread about relative utility of traits and whether or not the new one displaces anything, and it got me wondering about Redirecting Arrays and how essential it actually is.

It might just be subjective, but I've logged a fair few hours with it and it doesn't seem like it does as much as I would think from the theory of it (up to +5s on FaW, i.e. 50%).

I'm running with Emergency Weapon Cycle/Cold-Hearted/Weapon Emitter Overdrive/Vaulting Ambition/Supercharged Weapons (due to Lorca's Ambition Set)

For a PvE damage build on the MW Flight Deck, provided I want to add in Superior Area Denial and Redirecting Arrays, would it be good to swap out WEO/VA or are there 2 other candidates? I'd love more trait slots for exactly this reason.
  • tvmadoctvmadoc Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "Special Introductory Pricing Discount! From July 18th at 8am PT to July 22nd at 10am PT, you can get these ships for 2400 ZEN each when purchased individually, or in a bundle with all four ships and a 50% off T6 Ship Coupon for the price of 6400 ZEN! Thereafter, they will return to their normal pricing at 3000 ZEN when purchased individually, or 8000 ZEN for the Bundle."

So, unless you posses a '50% off T6 Ship Coupon', there's essentially no discount on the bundle?! Yes, individual ships appear to get discounted, for a while, to 2,400 Zen (as per usual). But not for the entire bundle, it seems?

I read that as you GET a 50% off coupon with the bundle, to get another T6 ship of your choice for 1500 zen.

Yes, you do RECEIVE a 50% off T6 coupon along with the pack, and currently the bundle for all four ships and the coupon is 6400 Zen.
    edited July 2019

Yea. Unfortunately the price is obscene at the moment. :(

Back then I was very lucky to actually draw one with the keys I got from @kurumimorishita s screenshot contests. I also bought it for three other toons for a fraction of what it cost now, one of them Telora. In high end runs it is a strict support trait taken by the Recluse wing men so if you miss it out it’s not as big of a problem there. Of course for the Discoprise pets it’s just sweet as they get faw 1 over it while otherwise they don’t have any special firing mode and in general PvE you are never supported anyway so more de-buffs are more de-buffs there.

As for this de-buff part you, yourself have Cold Hearted turning hard critters into pasta in general PvE. Since @reyan01 does not have access to that one I think SAD is technically the best thing for him to get eventhough it comes at a high price. But we all pay that sooner or later if we play the DPS game, don't we Reyan? >:)

https%3A%2F%2Fi.cdn.tbs.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2F2017%2F04%2FStarWarsRevengeOfTheSith-1600x900.jpg

I guess so - I mean, I am feeling particularly motivated to make the DSC Constitution as effective as it could be (at least in my hands). To be honest I'm this close to saying I love it more than the Nova*

*I will note that the poor quality of the Nova class model is contributing toward this.

Have to admit, the 20% ship sale isn't helping my case here, in terms of the Tucker or the new Warship (and their traits), though!

Had a chat with feli in game a few mins ago. He thinks that if u happen to be on the right energy-type build (so phaser on a fed toon here) the new trait with it's haste should edge out Calm, Strike and Promise and would be the better call from now on for energy builds.

As I can use it on 3 fed toons I will likely get the phaser trait.

On the Discoprise my setup will then result in:

- EWC
    - Redirecting Arrays
    - SAD
    - Heart of Sol
    - Cold Hearted (as only 1 in team can use it to its full potential on a target I might take one of the other earlier mentioned dmg traits here. Let cannon players bring the heavy support stuff for a chnage) :p
    animated.gif
    edited July 2019
    So can anyone confirm.. if I level the Romulan ship with my Federation Captain, do I get the Phaser Trait? or the Plasma Trait?

I know what the vague description says, but I would like confirmation from a player if possible.

Thanks.

{Edit} Confirmed, Feds get Phaser trait for leveling the Romulan or Jem ship. Asked a few players in DPS Channels.

I'll likely get the Warbird since the trait sounds good, all my Feds run Phaser, one of my Roms runs Plasma, I have a Disruptor based Klingon, and my Jem Runs Polaron.

Thanks @peterconnorfirst for the info on the trait, appreciated as always! :smile:
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Hopefully this is the last faction based ship trait they do. It doesn't seem like its too popular of an idea. 'Forcing' people to use a specific favor or energy weapon based on what faction they are. Not to mention that there is no option if your character uses tetryon or AP.

Unless... these traits show up in the FREE trait window like some of the KDF or Fed only traits in the Dil Store window? Then all it would mean is you have to master the Romulan ship on a Romulan and it unlocks a free trait for your non-Romulans. That would be great.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Well I sort of like my toons themed so I bought the full pack. On top of it with the coupon I got at 1500 zen the JH Vanguard Carrier since my Gorn mainly uses carriers and its a great option
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You will need to unlock that JH Carrier with a Jem'Hader Character before your Gorn can use it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2019
    I ended up getting the Jem'Hadar ship since any character of any faction can use it. I was going to go Romulan, but in the end, my Romulans all have better ships and I have a Jem Engineer that's just basically an Admiralty character.. I put him in it.

That being said, here are my brief thoughts on the ships..

Honestly, they're nothing special and in my personal opinion the purchase of the entire bundle is very hard to justify even at the sale price. I say this for a couple reasons..

Outside of looks, these ships bring little to nothing new. There are a couple things you get, the Dominion ship gives your fed a chance to use Jem'Hadar Wingmen, or your Fed/Klingon to fly a Warbird.. but the problem is, they're getting this at the cost of an otherwise unremarkable ship.

The weapon layout is nice, the console layout is fine, and the bridge officer seating is acceptable.
    The console is really cool to watch, but the damage is very low and overall it's not worth slotting due to it's lack of effectiveness.
    The trait is good, but because of the way they set it up, all the ships have the same trait.

This is Cryptic shooting themselves in the foot because now there is little to no reason to buy multiple ships. There is no console set to collect, you only get one trait no matter how many ships you buy, so the only thing you really get for 64k Zen is a single trait, 4 ship skins with copy/paste stats, and 4 admiralty cards.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing on anyone that purchased the pack. It's just not the best overall deal available. I have leveled the Jem ship on a couple characters.. it's a good ship. It's fun to fly, it does pretty good damage and has an acceptable layout. Outside of having wingmen though, it's just nothing to get excited about. The choice to go with Temporal spec really really hurts these ships. Had they been something more desirable like MW ships or even Intel ships, it would have added a lot of appeal.

In the end, I bought a single ship and I am happy with the purchase. 8 of my 10 characters will benefit from the trait, one character will actually fly the ship, and I got an admiralty card for everyone.

To rate these ships on a purely subjective scale based on nothing but my own personal taste an opinion, I would give them a 7/10. To be honest, most of that rating is the trait.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ^^ Thank you, Sea, for that great synopsis! :)

I already unlocked the Jem'Hadar Vanguard Warship, account-wide. So, I was thinking, the other day, why would I get a new Jem ship, that's basically inferior to the one I already have?! Jem'Hadar Vanguard Warship has 2x Lt. Cmdr seats, it has the wingmen, the same Jem interior, etc.

Then there's the Rom ship. The idea of being able to use a Singularity core on my pure Fed, I must admit, was appealing. But, like you say, it's otherwise not a very remarkable ship. And, on a personal note, I don't like Cryptic apparently went full-lazy on them, and didn't even bother to give it the already existing Temporal bridge.

And the Fed ship? Just another saucer -- the least imaginative ship of the release, IMHO.

And the Traits? I'm actually experiencing Trait-fatigue a bit, regular and rep wise. I already have way too many of them (and all the good ones, of course), but still only 5 slots (which, btw, is why I went straight for that Fleet Miranda, the other day).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited July 2019
    I ended up getting the Jem'Hadar ship since any character of any faction can use it. I was going to go Romulan, but in the end, my Romulans all have better ships and I have a Jem Engineer that's just basically an Admiralty character.. I put him in it.

That being said, here are my brief thoughts on the ships..

Honestly, they're nothing special and in my personal opinion the purchase of the entire bundle is very hard to justify even at the sale price. I say this for a couple reasons..

Outside of looks, these ships bring little to nothing new. There are a couple things you get, the Dominion ship gives your fed a chance to use Jem'Hadar Wingmen, or your Fed/Klingon to fly a Warbird.. but the problem is, they're getting this at the cost of an otherwise unremarkable ship.

The weapon layout is nice, the console layout is fine, and the bridge officer seating is acceptable.
    The console is really cool to watch, but the damage is very low and overall it's not worth slotting due to it's lack of effectiveness.
    The trait is good, but because of the way they set it up, all the ships have the same trait.

This is Cryptic shooting themselves in the foot because now there is little to no reason to buy multiple ships. There is no console set to collect, you only get one trait no matter how many ships you buy, so the only thing you really get for 64k Zen is a single trait, 4 ship skins with copy/paste stats, and 4 admiralty cards.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing on anyone that purchased the pack. It's just not the best overall deal available. I have leveled the Jem ship on a couple characters.. it's a good ship. It's fun to fly, it does pretty good damage and has an acceptable layout. Outside of having wingmen though, it's just nothing to get excited about. The choice to go with Temporal spec really really hurts these ships. Had they been something more desirable like MW ships or even Intel ships, it would have added a lot of appeal.

In the end, I bought a single ship and I am happy with the purchase. 8 of my 10 characters will benefit from the trait, one character will actually fly the ship, and I got an admiralty card for everyone.

To rate these ships on a purely subjective scale based on nothing but my own personal taste an opinion, I would give them a 7/10. To be honest, most of that rating is the trait.

Nice! :)

So you got the Jem ship as it can be claimed for both main factions and then only used that one to unlock the four respective sub-faction traits where they fit.

This is indeed a very new, let’s say, un-Cryptic way of a ship sale model but why not. Peeps have to accept a limitation for the energy types here but therefore it ships fairly cheap.

By any chance did you notice if the new ship's console is treated similar or do you always get the polaron version now? And if so can you take it off the jem ship and put in on a fed ship for example?

If that’s the case it would be perfect for me as I’m on a similar quest as @coldnapalm and try to build a tac/epg mix on one of my chars (polaron DEW/epg in my case). The console would only fit there I belive, if at all.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    ROFL oh this forum.

"Rah Cryptic isn't gonna make any more Rom ships and they lie and say they will"

*Cryptic announces a new Rom ship*

"Rah the new Rom ship is nothing special and I'm not gonna buy it"

ROFLMMFAO

ROFLMMFAO right back @ you. :) I really would have expected that, after all those years in STO, you had developed a discerning sense for ship stats, and don't just blindly buy stuff 'Simply because it is a shiny new Rom ship.' I, at least, don't buy that way. Yes, I can be enthusiastic about this or that ship; but that doesn't mean I totally abadon my common sense. At the end of the day, if I possess similar ships that are, point-for-point, substantially better than the new ones they're offering, then I'm not getting the new ships -- unless they're giving them away from free, of course. :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.