test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We're bringing STO's Tribbles to Life!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
We've teamed up with Tribble Toys to bring some of our STO Tribbles to life, and each one comes with a brand new, in-game Tribble! But that's not all - you can win a Age of Discovery Starter Pack!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11208723
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• xceptionalzeroxceptionalzero Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    So can the rest of the planet get access to these new ingame tribbles? (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • karaokekennykaraokekenny Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Kaels post says Donnie, the blog post says AoD starter pack...
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Scotty-No-Tribble-1024x682.png
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    There's some cool varieties in appearances & sounds for those tribbles. Isn't that hairless tribble just a pet rock?
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Good luck, American cousins! :smiley:
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    To celebrate this launch, we’re doing a giveaway from July 15th to July 21st, where you can win a large version of one of these Tribbles to take home, but that’s not all! In addition, all eight winners will receive an in-game Black Alert Tribble and an Age of Discovery Starter Pack on PC! (Sadly, this contest is only available for players in the United States.)

So the whole player base outside of the USA is excluded?!? I find that discriminating.

I cannot think of any good reason why the rest of the world gets excluded. STO has many players and paying customers outside of the USA. They are equal part of the community and should not be excluded. A global, world wide, operating company should be able to organize these kind of things in such a way that all customers can participate and win something.

There are only 8 tribbles to be won as it says. Why is it an issue to ship such a price to an outside USA address. Lots of things get shipped from USA to the rest of the world daily, so unbelievable that STO cannot.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    So, I went to the tribbletoys website, and not all of the large tribbles say they include the STO code.
    Only these do: Radan, Gamma, Triolic, Winter.

On the site, the Borg and Black Alert ones also say "Featured in Star Trek Online" so, be careful.
    The blog post doesn't really emphasize that (it does mention those 4 are the new ones, but not exclusive with the code).

Also, is the code for an account unlock tribble?
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    totenmet wrote: »
    I cannot think of any good reason why the rest of the world gets excluded.

Every country has different laws regarding giveaways and such, and it would cost too much for them to ensure it complies with all of those different nation's laws. Shipping would also be an issue, but the giveaway laws are the more important problem.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Redacted
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User

Every country has different laws regarding giveaways and such, and it would cost too much for them to ensure it complies with all of those different nation's laws. Shipping would also be an issue, but the giveaway laws are the more important problem.
    You only quoting part of my text, leaving out the context of my text.

I also wrote about the fact they only will give away 8 prices. I don't see any issues for that small amount of price packages to send to 8 people regardless where they live in the world.

There are NO law issues in any country that allows people playing STO, for receiving a gift package. No laws in those countries to not allow getting a give away. Shipping packages to any of those country is no issue at all. Also the package value is not high, so not much of an issue tax wise etc also. As you can read on the tribble selling website, a tribble has a value of 35$ which also ships to any country if you buy it. So just nonsense and discriminating to exclude non USA players from the event.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Just because you cannot think of something does not mean it doesn't exist.

If they could open it to everyone, surely they would. Stop looking for reasons to take offense at everything and you'll be a lot happier in life.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    There are legal reasons why it isn't open internationally, so let's drop the argument.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Since this giveaway is not available to your European players my money is not available to you in the US. As every giveaway is for the US only.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    Since this giveaway is not available to your European players my money is not available to you in the US. As every giveaway is for the US only.

Why i can understand this view of the money vs a give away. This is something that is a non issue there are legal reasons that the give away is USA only.

And this is a standard used world wide so why it sucks it is not a new thing. I think the tribble should be made available in other ways there z store springs to mind. As well as a great many more items.

But stressing out over this give away is not something that helps your health in any way. So try and take it easy as this is just a game.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Anyone living in the UK will have had access to these for decades via pretty much any tourist trap in Scotland, sold as hairy haggis. Although to be fair those do have facial features.

Anyone able to make a pompom and has basic sewing skills could make something just as good (if not better) as whats being promo'd on their website, that much for a few extra plastic bits on the borg one is overpriced even before the $25 bit of paper on top.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    OMG!!! Winter Tribble!!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Anyone living in the UK will have had access to these for decades via pretty much any tourist trap in Scotland, sold as hairy haggis. Although to be fair those do have facial features.

Anyone able to make a pompom and has basic sewing skills could make something just as good (if not better) as whats being promo'd on their website, that much for a few extra plastic bits on the borg one is overpriced even before the $25 bit of paper on top.

You can sew a device that makes tribble sounds when it's touched? Those are some mad skills.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    You know what kind of law I wish would be made for these giveaways?
    No, not forcing them to allow it for the whole planet, that'd be a nightmare, of course, even if it'd be the best thing.

Just a law forcing them to put the "For US/<insert country here> residents only" mention in the title and the very first paragraph, clearly visible, like in bold or highlighted. After all it's only fair to clearly warn it's only for specific people so they don't waste time reading something that doesn't concern them.

Also, I find it quite ironic buying a Triolic, Gamma Quadrant, Radan Tribble, or Winter Tribble gives you a code for a Black Alert tribble, but buying a physical Black Alert tribble doesn't.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jadizbanejadizbane Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Look, I'm going to have to start handing out warnings to people for making false accusations and threats if y'all don't stop.

It's really simple, folks. There are legal reasons why these contests aren't available outside the US. If you have problems with that, you'd be better served taking it up with your respective governments that make the laws/regulations preventing or making it overly difficult for your area to be included.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    No Cannibal Tribble! )= The Borg Tribble looks awesome but... $100! D:

Tribble Toys might not have the Cannibal Tribble, but Quantum Mechanix has a Mirror Universe Tribble that is similar and has a better color scheme. I agree with your comment about the Borg Tribble.

QMx_STR_Mirror_Universe_Tribble-01_1756x988_7949b73d-95c2-4f94-87c7-50bca4f3d921_medium.jpg?v=1503532398
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Look, I'm going to have to start handing out warnings to people for making false accusations and threats if y'all don't stop.

It's really simple, folks. There are legal reasons why these contests aren't available outside the US. If you have problems with that, you'd be better served taking it up with your respective governments that make the laws/regulations preventing or making it overly difficult for your area to be included.

Would you be able to ask if these tribbles will be available internationally (by way of ordering it from the company in question) after the contest is over?
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Tribble Toys might not have the Cannibal Tribble, but Quantum Mechanix has a Mirror Universe Tribble that is similar and has a better color scheme. I agree with your comment about the Borg Tribble.

QMx_STR_Mirror_Universe_Tribble-01_1756x988_7949b73d-95c2-4f94-87c7-50bca4f3d921_medium.jpg?v=1503532398

The Borg Tribble also doesn't come in green. It seems like they put the least amount of thought and effort into that one and decided to charge the most for it. I really like the color of the blue Tribble though. Maybe I will pick up one of those. If the Borg Tribble was actually green and half the price. I would have already ordered a couple.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

The Borg Tribble also doesn't come in green. It seems like they put the least amount of thought and effort into that one and decided to charge the most for it. I really like the color of the blue Tribble though. Maybe I will pick up one of those. If the Borg Tribble was actually green and half the price. I would have already ordered a couple.

Personally, I think Green and Black would be better for a Borg Tribble.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    I ordered the Gamma Quadrant Tribble and strangely the only order/ receipt I was emailed was the PayPal one?