test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Computer restarting problem, settings?

I recently switched out my monitor (32" magnavox tv) for a 40" smart tv and sometimes my computer restarts while playing the game. It only happens when playing STO and I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to change in the game? I changed the video card setting to 1020 and my display on the tv already. TIA

Comments

• equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,265 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I recently switched out my monitor (32" magnavox tv) for a 40" smart tv and sometimes my computer restarts while playing the game. It only happens when playing STO and I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to change in the game? I changed the video card setting to 1020 and my display on the tv already. TIA

Sounds like it could be a graphical driver issue - have you got the latest firmware/driver for your graphics card?

Also, has the switch to a larger display in any way affected the airflow around your PC? - despite being an old game, I've found that STO can draw a lot of resources, last summer my PC did something similar, and resolved itself when I moved the PC somewhere cooler with more airflow around it.

Just an idea.

Edit: You may also want to run the game on the very lowest graphical settings and see if the issue is still occuring, you can then start raising the resolution/detail incrementally. You may then be able to work out if it's an issue of your display/drivers are causing the problem.
  • neoncactus1neoncactus1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I switched back to the 32" and also ran a stress test. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled, no luck. Didn't even make it to the character pick. Updated drivers also.....I'm at a loss but will keep trying stuff, like you said I'll drop the graphics a bit.
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Yes with the restart, it may be because your Cpu cooler is too dirty and overheated!
    Especially now in the summer!
    Cpus turn off when they get too hot!
    edited July 2019
    ekypyros, good idea but running the stress test it only went to 113deg. I have the H55 aqua cooler for my cpu. I found that by right clicking and running as admin it seemed to work the other day but I just tried and it did it again??? Confused but I'll figure it out and post back here in case someone else has this happen. Monitored temps using cpuid.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Maybe it's a dodgy power pack, mine did that and it took putting in a new power pack to fix the problem.
    Post edited by theraven2378 on
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Actually I think my gpu is toast. put in a Ghost 1777 (I think ) and no problems now. Got a loaner from a friend and have to buy one now, 4 years ago I built this and had put in a 750ti which has served it's life quite well.....lol. Funny thing is I stress tested and it came up fine.....so much for test's.........Thanks all