test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a planned MASSIVE Picard series related update on the way?

Comments

• Options
    steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Well, hoping the series does not prove to be a "Dead Donkey" and a success because of Mr Stewart.

As yet the info is flimsy but set around the end of the 24th Century,involving Picard returning and involves the destruction of Romulus.

Apart from that everything else is speculation.
    Will he be returning as a member of Star Fleet itself or an Ambassador to the remaining Romulans.
    A reunification of the Romulans with the Vulcans ?

Either way 10 episodes are planned and we will hopefully get some new starships at least.

On a side note a Romulan -Vulcan reunification would be a change to the face of the game,will most likely not happen,but an interesting thought.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    steinberg wrote: »
    On a side note a Romulan -Vulcan reunification would be a change to the face of the game,will most likely not happen,but an interesting thought.
    Well, Reunification is one of D'tan's goals....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I am fully aware he left Star Fleet.
    I said will he be returning as a member of Star Fleet or become an Ambassador,it is possible to be called back into service.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    steinberg wrote: »
    Well, hoping the series does not prove to be a "Dead Donkey" and a success because of Mr Stewart.

As yet the info is flimsy but set around the end of the 24th Century,involving Picard returning and involves the destruction of Romulus.

Apart from that everything else is speculation.
    Will he be returning as a member of Star Fleet itself or an Ambassador to the remaining Romulans.
    A reunification of the Romulans with the Vulcans ?

Either way 10 episodes are planned and we will hopefully get some new starships at least.

I think they're definitely said it's not going to be a Prime Universe. It's funny that Picard would have accepted becoming an Ambassador, but since he did, it's not surprising that he'd quit that. I thought I heard somewhere that he was going to be a bit like Vash and not a thief, but a freelance archaeologist. I really am just dying for them to give him a GREAT ship, with lots of Prime Universe effort put into it. I know it might not be Starfleet, but the Raven was Federation and had a great look, the Waverider design could be reused and then I'd also love it to land a little. Starships landing are still one of my favourite things and if it was a smaller ship, then it would be a lot of fun.

Oh and I think it would now officially be the 25th Century? I wonder if they'll cameo any Prime Universe actors...Troi, Seven of Please (dear God please).
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Whatever the abbreviation for Picard will be, it will not be ST:P.​​
    Whatever certain circles want the abbreviation for Picard to be, actual people will call it STP.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    warpangel wrote: »
    Whatever the abbreviation for Picard will be, it will not be ST:P.
    Whatever certain circles want the abbreviation for Picard to be, actual people will call it STP.

'Actual people', you mean the same edgelord trolls who use the incorrect acronym for Discovery. Real people like a bit more consistency and absolutely nobody uses 'ST: first letter of the series name' for any of the other shows they'll, in general, continue to use the correct one for DSC and whatever Picard will be.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    'Actual people', you mean the same edgelord trolls who use the incorrect acronym for Discovery. Real people like a bit more consistency and absolutely nobody uses 'ST: first letter of the series name' for any of the other shows they'll, in general, continue to use the correct one for DSC and whatever Picard will be.​​
    they're probably descended from "True" Scotsmen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

The normal way people abbreviate any multi-word phrase is with the first letter of each word. Most people will not go ask what CBS wants the acronym for something to be before talking about it, they'll just make the obvious contraction from the full name.

All the Star Trek series have been abbreviated this way, except usually Voyager (because STV was already taken by the fifth movie, though I have occasionally seen Voyager called that anyway) and Enterprise (because it was a single-word name until the third season added the "Star Trek" to it).

I find the overreaction to the obvious abbreviation of "Star Trek Discovery" to be juvenile at best. It's not that interesting. Every three-letter combination is an acronym a dozen different things. "Hehehee, you said X" is something a 5-year-old would laugh at.

(and incidentally, saying it's somethin a 5-year-old would laugh at would've been the correct reaction to "trolls" making fun of the obvious acronym, as opposed to proving their point by contriving a different abbreviation)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    STP is a brand name for a line of automotive products in the US, particularly motor oil and automotive lube (no, it's not suitable for that, get your mind out of the gutter). It's derived from the original trade name, Scientifically Treated Petroleum.

It's also a slang term for 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine, a synthetic amphetamine and hallucinogen. The band Stone Temple Pilots was originally named Mighty Joe Young, but after a copyright claim by RKO Pictures, producers of the 1949 movie Mighty Joe Young, they were forced to find a new name. They settled on Stone Temple Pilots specifically because it could be abbreviated STP.

These facts would lead me to conclude that the abbreviation, as if one needed to abbreviate Picard, would not be "ST:P", if only to avoid issues with Atlantic Records, distributors for Stone Temple Pilots (not to mention the lubricant company).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    STP is a brand name for a line of automotive products in the US, particularly motor oil and automotive lube (no, it's not suitable for that, get your mind out of the gutter). It's derived from the original trade name, Scientifically Treated Petroleum.

It's also a slang term for 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine, a synthetic amphetamine and hallucinogen. The band Stone Temple Pilots was originally named Mighty Joe Young, but after a copyright claim by RKO Pictures, producers of the 1949 movie Mighty Joe Young, they were forced to find a new name. They settled on Stone Temple Pilots specifically because it could be abbreviated STP.

These facts would lead me to conclude that the abbreviation, as if one needed to abbreviate Picard, would not be "ST:P", if only to avoid issues with Atlantic Records, distributors for Stone Temple Pilots (not to mention the lubricant company).

While I have no doubt you're absolutely right on all counts... (not being US based, I'd never heard of the petroleum brand), since when has any of that stopped the abbreviation generation from shortening everything to TLAs? No doubt CBS will use whatever they like, but the public? Well, we can only guess.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator
    Are we really having this argument? :unamused: The derogatory nature of the unallowed DSC acronym, its use to deride the show and its fans, and its tendency to encourage flaming and trolling is the main reason it's not allowed here. Though STP is not likely to be the official acronym for Star Trek: Picard, STP has no derogatory connotations to my knowledge and is unlikely to be as controversial as the other. So, are we really trying to make this into more than it is before the show even comes out?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options

The normal way people abbreviate any multi-word phrase is with the first letter of each word. Most people will not go ask what CBS wants the acronym for something to be before talking about it, they'll just make the obvious contraction from the full name.

All the Star Trek series have been abbreviated this way, except usually Voyager (because STV was already taken by the fifth movie, though I have occasionally seen Voyager called that anyway) and Enterprise (because it was a single-word name until the third season added the "Star Trek" to it).

I find the overreaction to the obvious abbreviation of "Star Trek Discovery" to be juvenile at best. It's not that interesting. Every three-letter combination is an acronym a dozen different things. "Hehehee, you said X" is something a 5-year-old would laugh at.

(and incidentally, saying it's somethin a 5-year-old would laugh at would've been the correct reaction to "trolls" making fun of the obvious acronym, as opposed to proving their point by contriving a different abbreviation)

Which works fine for TOS, TAS, TNG, and DS9, but the other three (and now Picard) have single word titles. Nobody uses Star Trek as part of those abbreviations.
    Even fanfiction central Memory Alpha uses abbreviations with three letters and no 'ST' prefix. So perverse are MAs versions VOY and DIS seem more common than the correct VGR and DSC.

To claim that the pathetically edgy abbreviation for DSC is obvious is based on the delusion fans use anything but VOY and ENT for the other two one word titled shows.

Based on CBS' pattern Picard will likely be PRD or PCD but the most common one used will likely be PIC.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options

Yes, and a couple dozen other things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP

None of which presumably have "issues" with eachother, because that would be stupid. As I said, any three-letter combination has many existing meanings.

And as I said, most people will not ask CBS what they want it to be called, much less research what other meanings "STP" has, they'll just call it that because it's obvious.
  • Options
    the unallowed DSC acronym,

Surely you mean disallowed?
    In any case, what anyone says here will have little no no effect on the public's perception of the show and title.
  • Options
    Based on CBS' pattern Picard will likely be PRD or PCD but the most common one used will likely be PIC.
    It might even be JLP of course.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Except we know little of anything about the direction and content of the Series. But even that is more than we know about the whole 'change the face of the game' nonsense trolled by Geko.

It's time to sit quietly and let the STLV announcements occur and the teasers from CBS to hit the air waves.

Besides which, the word 'MASSIVE' in the Subject is reminiscent of what you'd expect to hear from a Carnival Barker.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I'm just wondering why everyone's so determined to turn Picard, which is all of two syllables and six letters, into a TLA that would add a syllable while only subtracting three letters.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    siotaylor wrote: »

From fans, sure. From CBS, very unlikely. As far as I'm aware his first name is Jon-Luc which would just be 'J' not 'JL' (or even 'J-L').
    I'm just wondering why everyone's so determined to turn Picard, which is all of two syllables and six letters, into a TLA that would add a syllable while only subtracting three letters.

Because three letters is short to type out and more or less consistent and recognisable. It's why the films are shortened to three or even two letters in most cases (most exceptions seem to be the TOS films for some reason).
    We're not verbally saying these (or at least I'm not), they're there as typing shorthand.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    siotaylor wrote: »

From fans, sure. From CBS, very unlikely. As far as I'm aware his first name is Jon-Luc which would just be 'J' not 'JL' (or even 'J-L').​​

Jean-Luc, but yeah you're right. But as I responded to another comment, also of merit, since when did that stop people calling it whatever they like... and whatever gets traction early tends to stick, no matter what CBS or Cryptic/PWE think.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Is a Picard update 'on the way'? I take 'on the way' as meaning 'soon'. So no. Will it be 'MASSIVE'. No. I'd argue that the DSC content has yet to be 'massive' so I don't see Picard having near as much useful content to a pew pew Star Trek game.

Will there be something eventually...of course. Has anything Cryptic done make you think they wouldn't?
    You can be sure that Cryptic will take any ship they see on screen and put it in the game. Hopefully, since Picard was part of the Romulan events, that means we might see Romulan ships. Even if they only show up onscreen in flashbacks for 1.5 seconds. :D
  • Options
    And as I said, most people will not ask CBS what they want it to be called, much less research what other meanings "STP" has, they'll just call it that because it's obvious.
    Yeah but why would they use that instead of "TPS" (The Picard Show) :p

You know the internet is like herding cats, what makes you think people will agree?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

You know the internet is like herding cats, what makes you think people will agree?

Well I'm calling it 'PVJ' as it's the letter after every second letter in Picard's initials assuming his first name is not singular.

azrael605 wrote: »

Based on Patrick Stewart's actual dog I believe. It's a massive downgrade from his fish. I'd have preferred it to be Livingston, emancipated from his confines and accompanying Picard in a mecha suit.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options

Which works fine for TOS, TAS, TNG, and DS9, but the other three (and now Picard) have single word titles. Nobody uses Star Trek as part of those abbreviations.
    Everybody uses Star Trek as part of abbreviations, except when it's a Star Trek only forum where that's assumed by default.
    Even fanfiction central Memory Alpha uses abbreviations with three letters and no 'ST' prefix. So perverse are MAs versions VOY and DIS seem more common than the correct VGR and DSC.
    No wonder there. Those are much more logical shorthands, iff one has to make one without using the full name. They also have the advantage of being pronoucible as words, rather than needing to be spelled out. And again, MA doesn't need to use "ST" because everything on the site is Star Trek.
    To claim that the pathetically edgy abbreviation for DSC is obvious is based on the delusion fans use anything but VOY and ENT for the other two one word titled shows.
    Enterprise is the only Star Trek show that's had a one-word title (and only for the first two seasons). It would totally have been called STE if it had actually been named Star Trek Enterprise from the start, rather than just Enterprise.

BTW, do you also think STO should be called ONL or something, because "Nobody uses Star Trek as part of those abbreviations?" :p
    If the show is actually named that, then that's the acronym that will be used.
    Nothing. Just look at this argument. However, simply picking the initials of the actual name of the show will be the most common way of shortening the name.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Everybody uses Star Trek as part of abbreviations, except when it's a Star Trek only forum where that's assumed by default.

no, they don't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.