I could never hate the scimitar.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I could never hate the scimitar.

Me either, I also love the Vengeance.

Different people, different taste. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    For me, I suppose I typically find myself in a disgruntled middle-space between the two.

Generally speaking, from the moment I create a character, I form a concept of what I'd like them to fly around in. Unfortunately, this often leads to me 'pigeon-holing' myself for performance/functionality reasons because X ship doesn't support Y feature. It's not so much that I go for top numbers, but rather that I have a semi-strict thematic role in mind when narrowing ships down for my captains.

I have a KDF Engineer, for example, that I built around the idea of flying big, stompy Klingon battlecruisers that bite as much they soak damage. I loved (battle)cruising around their Negh'var and then later a Tac Bortasqu that I loved to bits(It was a massive T-Rex of a ship that did exactly what I was wanting). However, when the command battlecruisers came around, I wanted to put my money where my mouth was and support (future developmental parity of) KDF and picked up the pack. To my bittersweet delight, the Tactical Command Battlecruiser was able to (functionally) do everything the Tactical Bortasqu did, and completely dwarf its performance in every way. Probably the greatest demoralization, however, is that while I dream of sticking them in a Durgath one day, I know that the performance is going to be heartbreakingly inferior to the Ty'gokor. Sadly, the T6 Negh'var/tev and T6 Tac Bortasqu simply weren't enough to justify the performance downgrade to me. (That said, if I ever do manage to get my hands on a Durgath, you better believe it'll be the only ship they'd fly until the servers shut down.)

Perhaps a happier example could be one of my Fed(alien) Sci captains. I built them around the idea of being a support/"healer". I was originally planning to just leave them in a star cruiser.. until I got to looking around and comparing potential options. To my surprise, the Herald Quas fit the bill amazingly well and was relatively cheap at the time. I adore how well the ship suites them both thematically and functionally. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find another ship that can pump out that much excessive overhealing and look that swag while doing it(I actually run Anchored on it because it's basically a deployable, near-indestructable, ship triage station).

Okay, I'm done rambling now.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It's a bit of both.

But guess performance pushes the acceptance towards less aspect-friendly models. And not the other way around.

Have you ever heard of the Intel Dreadnought Cruiser?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    The nice thing with the advent of T6 ships is that more ships became very valid choices for your "Space Barbie is Endgame" needs as well as being effective ships.

For example, Pre-T6 days, Galaxy was pretty darn offensively limited. The T6 version that eventually came out fixed that.

There so many good T6 ships that really, you can go for Space Barbie and you'd likely still have a very potent ship. Add in today's Power Creep, you can have your aesthetics and still be effective.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    In the end it is mostly space barbie.
    In performance (unless a dps chaser) what matters is you build the ship for TFO/and STFs to do the following:

A)Not blowing up.
    B)Pulling your weight.

Vanity shield on Risa show cryptic understand space barbie.(Even if some shields have dubious cosmetics).

Some ships due to personal aesthetics feel ugly or just plain weird.
    A lot of players get ships only for specific consoles or ship mastery and then go back to there favorite ship.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @avoozuul said:
    > I could never hate the scimitar.

I can never tolerate the scimiturd.
    Well hey, if that's your prerogative then that's fine but to each their own.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @avoozuul said:
    > I could never hate the scimitar.

I can never tolerate the scimiturd.

Guess I’m lucky that I never needed to hate or even learn to tolerate any ship in game.

It’s not as if we would not have a big enough selection or even need to give the slightest poo about what others fly.

Unless of course we chase DPS which most of us don’t do or care about anyway as personal preference is the only real criteria.

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    My complaint about the Scimitar is really more movie-related than game-related - the stats given in dialog for the ship are ludicrous, and would lead to the one craft outclassing most of Starfleet and the KDF together. How many torpedo bays and plasma disruptors again??!?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Too many
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    But that is typical hyperbole expected from 'canon'. Somewhat reminiscent of the 450 Photon Torpedoes it would take to drop the NCC-1701s shields.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I don't chase DPS. I'll use good gear and upgrade it, so I don't suck, but I'll pick a ship I like looking at vs a ugly one. The output difference of various ships is probably very small when all things are said and done.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    My complaint about the Scimitar is really more movie-related than game-related - the stats given in dialog for the ship are ludicrous, and would lead to the one craft outclassing most of Starfleet and the KDF together. How many torpedo bays and plasma disruptors again??!?
    The stats given for some Starfleet vessels are higher than you'd expect. The Ent-D had over a dozen phaser emitters. They were combined into groups though, so it kinda sorta had 4 actual beam weapons, even though it's design specs list more like 16 or something.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the stats given were perfectly reasonable, given the kinds of TRIBBLE the federation kept dragging into the alpha/beta quadrants in recent years

the romulans obviously wanted something that could stand toe-to-toe with a dominion dreadnought or a borg cube (i still refuse to believe, and always WILL refuse to believe, that a bunch of under-educated MINING slaves could build a starship like that - it was very obviously being developed by the romulan star empire - or more likely, given its black color scheme, the tal shiar - and shinzon just stole it once it was nearly complete)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    i still refuse to believe, and always WILL refuse to believe, that a bunch of under-educated MINING slaves could build a starship like that - it was very obviously being developed by the romulan star empire - or more likely, given its black color scheme, the tal shiar - and shinzon just stole it once it was nearly complete)​​

I am pretty sure they confirmed in the movie that it was built with help of the Romulan Military. It's classified as a 'Reman Starship,' but in reality there is no such thing. It's a Romulan Ship.
    as i recall, there was no line that specifically came out and said the ship was built with outside help - the only line i can recall that even remotely comes close is shinzon's line of 'from building the scimitar at a secret base'

but it's just common sense to figure they either had help from sympathetic elements of the RSE (or more likely, they weren't sympathetic at all but wanted to see if shinzon's plan would actually work) or shinzon and the remans stole the prototype under construction...because there is just no way in hell a bunch of slaves that were used as miners and cannon fodder would be able to build a starship at all, let alone one that outclassed every other ship among the known races by a large magnitude, had a cloak that was perfect in every way AND had a type of radiation that was mostly unknown (at least in the federation - maybe the romulans had been researching it for decades) as both a potent weapon and a power source for said weapon​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    It's implied because of Shinzon's origins.

He was created by the Romulans as part of a Romulan Plot. He used the Reamans to stage his coup against the Senate. He became the Reman leader, but clearly used them as labor and soldiers. While the Remans likely physically constructed the Scmitar, it was always pretty obvious that they didn't actually design the Ship, Shinzon and his co-conspirators (Romulans) designed the ship.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    i still refuse to believe, and always WILL refuse to believe, that a bunch of under-educated MINING slaves could build a starship like that - it was very obviously being developed by the romulan star empire - or more likely, given its black color scheme, the tal shiar - and shinzon just stole it once it was nearly complete)​​
    I am pretty sure they confirmed in the movie that it was built with help of the Romulan Military. It's classified as a 'Reman Starship,' but in reality there is no such thing. It's a Romulan Ship.
    Well, the Remans were educated well enough to mine Dilithium without accidentally blowing themselves up...

But yeah, Shinzon's coup had the backing of certain Romulan senators, and this apparently started BEFORE the Scimitar was operational... I mean how did Shinzon get he Thalaron generator tech in the first place?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    I generally go for looks, because I understand enough about how dps functions in this game to make a decent build on almost anything so I don't bother with much worrying. The thing is... if it looks ugly but is good for dps I probably wouldn't get it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    there's also the issue of ships having consoles that really don't work on the ship they come with (and are restricted to) but would work REALLY well on another ship...thankfully, cryptic seems to have realized this and is now in the process of removing ship restrictions from consoles...or at least they started doing it for a few; hopefully they keep doing so, because there are several consoles i'd like to be able to use on ships that i currently can't​​

#LegalizeAwoo

reyan01 wrote: »
    I don't own them yet, but I am considering the Tucker class for the very reason I've been outlining: it has a Starship trait that would benefit my primary ship for that character (the DSC Constitution).

6929e92e614ae10e4333b8e76f4bff05161bdf86e3c3b1cf28e11b37f425c1c4.jpg
    animated.gif
    I'm the only one that hates Redirecting Arrays. It's not a horrible trait, but it's not great and I have never understood it as a staple in DPS builds. It requires constant aggro or it does literally nothing. I get the appeal of extending the duration of FAW, but it never seems to buy me anymore then 1 or 2 seconds tops. If you run a beam/threat tank.. sure. But for General PVE and team conent, I don't usually use it.

It's fine if you have a beam build with a free trait slot and need something, but personally.. I wouldn't buy a 3k Zen ship to get it unless you already have all the better C-Store traits.
    I'm the only one that hates Redirecting Arrays. It's not a horrible trait, but it's not great and I have never understood it as a staple in DPS builds. It requires constant aggro or it does literally nothing. I get the appeal of extending the duration of FAW, but it never seems to buy me anymore then 1 or 2 seconds tops. If you run a beam/threat tank.. sure. But for General PVE and team conent, I don't usually use it.

It's fine if you have a beam build with a free trait slot and need something, but personally.. I wouldn't buy a 3k Zen ship to get it unless you already have all the better C-Store traits.

Compared to the means we have for cannon enhancement Redirecting is really bad you are right but… well… it’s the best we have.

On the Discoprise (which I’ll open soon TM and probably on Telora most likely) one only has attract fire as useful cruiser command. The power saving one for weapons is sadly left out. In short to approach is a + aggro build the prudent course of action I think.

But yea true its 3k for only a bit of benefit which is most likely only chosen simply in absence of better alternatives at the meoment. :)
    animated.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    The stats given for some Starfleet vessels are higher than you'd expect. The Ent-D had over a dozen phaser emitters. They were combined into groups though, so it kinda sorta had 4 actual beam weapons, even though it's design specs list more like 16 or something.
    There are 11 separate visible arrays on the Galaxy model. 13 on the Intrepid class. 12 on the original Sovereign and 16 on the Nemesis refit.

I would expect if they pulled numbers for the individual emitters on all those arrays, the 52 cannons quoted on the Scimitar would look pathetically low. It's a style difference. Starfleet uses arrays of many small emitters linked together, the romulans have individual cannons.

And in the end, it doesn't really matter how many weapons there are on the ship. Nobody ever spam-fires them all at once, but rather concentrate full power into few powerful shots. The deciding factor is how much power they can put out, not how many different points they can put it out from. The number of weapons on the ship is primarily meant to ensure there is full coverage in all directions around the shape of the ship and provide redundancy in case of damage.
This discussion has been closed.