test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fatal Crash/Freezing/AppHangB1

roboto#9347 roboto Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited July 2019 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Alright, guys. I'm still at my wit's end over this. I've already posted on Reddit to no avail, and after several exchanges even technical support was at a loss, so I'm going to share this here (by their suggestion, since they believe it to be a bug) in the hopes that it may catch the eye of the developers.

The Problem Summary:
I can no longer play STO on my desktop because of horrendous crashing errors. No, I don't mean the average crashing that we all usually deal with time to time. I've never experienced anything this bad before:

The game will constantly and suddenly crash if I switch tabs to another window (discord, for example), change maps, join TFOs, spend more than three minutes in the tailor shop, or even if I sneeze too loudly. Sometimes it will lull me into a fall sense of security and allow me to play for 10 or fifteen minutes in peace. Other times, it crashes within mere seconds of doing any of those aforementioned things. Finally, after the second or third crash the STO applications will freeze so that even Task Manager can't force it to shut down, and will interfere with my ability to properly shut down or restart my computer - or worse, my entire computer will become frozen. In both cases, I end up having to force-restart my machine and in short, the game is unplayable.

The Computer In Question:
My desktop is a custom-build that was made for the purpose of Architecture software in school (Revit, Autocad, Photoshop, etc). Therefore, it is not a gaming computer per se (intended for designing buildings and not epic pew-pewing), but post-graduation I began using it for that purpose as it was otherwise retired. Though that's not what it was made for, it has performed adequately for my gameplay needs (I only play STO- I'm not really a gamer otherwise) and I have not had any serious issues. I played STO on it for about a year until the motherboard died (it was almost 5 years old). After sitting in storage for about 11 months I finally got it repaired (new motherboard and processor for a price I couldn't refuse, instead of getting a new pc) and works like a dream again... except for STO, which is a disaster. I'd started to have STO issues prior to my computer's demise-which, at the time I attributed to a hardware issue on my end-but it seems that was not the case after all.

Ironically enough, I've mostly had no big problems playing on my inferior laptop these past two years (beyond the normal issues of lag, occasional timeouts, etc.). This is done at medium/low settings across the board, with shadows and dynamic lighting all turned on.

Details:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
CPU: Intel Core i5
RAM: 16.0GB Dual Channel
Motherboard: Micro-Star Z390-A PRO
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K4000
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/19 14:02:23 Ver: V1.50 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

The Failed Solutions:
These are all things I have investigated/attempted with no success:

Hardware/Other Software:
  1. Drivers. All up to date, though I have experimented by rolling back to prior versions that I'd used back when STO still worked.
  2. Memory diagnostic. One of my first suspicions, but everything checks out.
  3. CPU Thermal Levels. No problem.
  4. Power Supply Voltages, also okay.
  5. Firewall Settings - I've adjusted/allowed every exe file I can think of or find.
  6. I got a new modem to replace my old one (which I discovered was horrendously out of date). Internet works beautifully.

STO Settings:
  1. Switched to "windowed" vs "fullscreen mode".
  2. Lowered the graphics settings. As a test, I turned ALL graphic settings to "off" or "Min/Low" where possible. Zero difference.
  3. Toggled on/off "Patch On Demand", "Force Verify", "Reduced File Streaming", etc.
  4. Adjusted compatibility modes.
  5. Uninstalled / Reinstalled Arc + STO a grand total of 4 times.

At this point, I really don't think the problem is on my end. However, I would be very happy to be proven wrong if someone has a genius solution I have not thought of. I am reasonably computer-savvy because of my field (yoohoo, architect here) but I must humble myself and say that I am not a software/hardware guru by any means. If anybody has any other ideas, please feel free to share.

And- please oh please, if there is a kind-hearted developer out there with any potential solutions, please take pity on this poor harassed woman. I throw myself at your mercy!

Thanks.

Data: ". . . So I chose to believe that I was a person, that I had the potential to be more than a collection of circuits and sub-processors. It is a belief which I still hold."
Worf: "How did you come to your decision?"
Data: "I made... a leap of faith."
Post edited by roboto#9347 on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I'm not a dev but it would help if you could tell how long you've had these issues, since I didn't have any issues with STO as recent as yesterday (granted I use the steam version but that shouldn't matter as the PC client should be the same regardless of the method you got it).

A possible problem could be a conflict between STO and some the programs you use for your job/studies. Another possibility is a flaw in the PC that as caused by the motherboard dying but for what ever reason only manifests when you use STO. I had something similar about 7 or so years back it was first a broken motherboard then a corrupted OS.

But honestly if it didn't start today or yesterday it's unlikely to be a bug in the client or anything other Cryptic could fix in their end (I could play just fine at around 16:00 my local time yesterday and it's 06:00 while I type this).
  • roboto#9347 roboto Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Hi spiritborn - This has been an issue since I've tried to return playing to my desktop - two, three weeks now. As I said, I started having problems before the computer died, but they've only gotten worse since the repair.
    Data: ". . . So I chose to believe that I was a person, that I had the potential to be more than a collection of circuits and sub-processors. It is a belief which I still hold."
    Also, I've uninstalled all of my field-related softwares from my desktop except for adobe programs like Photoshop, which I also have on my laptop.
    edited July 2019
    I had another thought. What happened to the option to use a 64 bit client? By default I've only got 32 bit, and though there is a 64 bit client buried in the Live folder, it doesn't work. *Edit, did some more research on this and I realize now that the launcher currently is only 32 bit for now...
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I had another thought. What happened to the option to use a 64 bit client? By default I've only got 32 bit, and though there is a 64 bit client buried in the Live folder, it doesn't work. *Edit, did some more research on this and I realize now that the launcher currently is only 32 bit for now...

odd I use nothing but the 64-bit client and they're ending support of the 32 bit one anyway.

based on the timing and the fact I could even so the floater quest dispite my client minizing to desktop due another program it's safe to say it's not a bug in the client but rather something on your PC (if it was a bug I should be having these issues as well as Cryptic doesn't either the time or the manpower to adjust the code so that it'll only crash on certain systems) unless it's a conflict with the specific drivers you got installed, I'd say we're looking at either an imcomplete or botched repair to be honest. I know it's not nice to hear but it seems like the only logical choice in the issue here.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Hi!

This is most likely due to your graphics card, the Nvidia Quadro K4000. This is a Quadro card that is made for running professional computer-aided design (CAD), computer-generated imagery (CGI), digital content creation (DCC) applications, scientific calculations and machine learning..

Most likely Star Trek Online does not like how it's being rendered on the Quadro card compared to a normal graphics card aimed at gaming.

Star Trek Online seems very touchy, I remember back in the day I tried running the game on a high end gaming rig with two powerful Nvidia GeForce 1070's running in SLI, it was a horrible experience with low FPS and constant crashing and freezing. The solution was sadly no SLI.

While Quadro cards can "game" they are made to render and compute quite differently from a gaming or "normal" graphics card, so most likely Star Trek Online is not getting along with the Quadro card very well...
    edited July 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »
    odd I use nothing but the 64-bit client and they're ending support of the 32 bit one anyway.

What! How are you using a 64 bit client? I searched and searched and couldn't find a download for it. I would try using that to see if it solves this issue at all but everything I could see was for 32 bit only. And I'm on a 64 bit system. Ever since they removed the option bubbles in the launcher I haven't seen a way to choose.

If you could point me in the right direction here I would be very grateful!

spiritborn wrote: »

How are you using a 64 bit client? I searched and searched and couldn't find a download for it. I would try using that to see if it solves this issue at all but everything I could see was for 32 bit only. And I'm on a 64 bit system.

The game is running in 64-bit mode now by default, you can still enable 32-bit in the launcher settings.. I think, unless they already removed that.

Anyhow, the launcher will always be 32-bit.. But the gameclient should be 64-bit.
    Hi!

This is most likely due to your graphics card, the Nvidia Quadro K4000. This is a Quadro card that is made for running professional computer-aided design (CAD), computer-generated imagery (CGI), digital content creation (DCC) applications, scientific calculations and machine learning..

Most likely Star Trek Online does not like how it's being rendered on the Quadro card compared to a normal graphics card aimed at gaming.

Star Trek Online seems very touchy, I remember back in the day I tried running the game on a high end gaming rig with two powerful Nvidia GeForce 1070's running in SLI, it was a horrible experience with low FPS and constant crashing and freezing. The solution was sadly no SLI.

While Quadro cards can "game" they are made to render and compute quite differently from a gaming or "normal" graphics card, so most likely Star Trek Online is not getting along with the Quadro card very well...

Hi, thanks for the feedback. :) Yes, I am aware of what my card's applications are - as I explained, the computer was built for architectural use. However, I played for a solid year on this build (with a different motherboard) and never had any issues like these. The game ran smoothly without significant hiccup. Perhaps with the continual updates STO no longer supports it, however?

It certainly is frustrating if that is the case. If you were in my shoes, what kind of card would you look at with my build?

Hi, thanks for the feedback. :) Yes, I am aware of what my card's applications are - as I explained, the computer was built for architectural use. However, I played for a solid year on this build (with a different motherboard) and never had any issues like these. The game ran smoothly without significant hiccup. Perhaps with the continual updates STO no longer supports it, however?

It certainly is frustrating if that is the case. If you were in my shoes, what kind of card would you look at with my build?

The very frustrating problem is that the development team has not done a great job with the graphical overhauls they've done to the game.. For example "in the old days" STO ran pretty well on the lowest graphics on a simple Intel HD graphics chipset, it was meant to be "playable on anything", but today it runs pretty lousy on Intel HD graphics. Unless it's a beefy i7 or something..

Also in the old days it ran pretty well on SLI setups, nowadays it does not..

Hmm, it would really depend on your budget and.. Power supply? Not sure what connections your Quadro has!

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    yeah it's happening to me as well... keep getting crashes. game just freezes and no response. need to CAD out and restart game. a small pop up comes up to report crash also happens from time to time.
    The very frustrating problem is that the development team has not done a great job with the graphical overhauls they've done to the game.. For example "in the old days" STO ran pretty well on the lowest graphics on a simple Intel HD graphics chipset, it was meant to be "playable on anything", but today it runs pretty lousy on Intel HD graphics. Unless it's a beefy i7 or something..

Hmm, it would really depend on your budget and.. Power supply? Not sure what connections your Quadro has!

I've read again and again people saying how problematic STO is compared to other games. I have no frame of reference as this is the only game I play (and I tend to assume people like to complain for the sake of complaining) but what you say makes sense. I see similar issues in the modeling software industry (Revit, etc)... big changes, big developments, big improvements, BIG glitches that multiply faster than they seem to know how to fix them, and not taking into account compatibility.

I am going to be very, very honest with you - I haven't researched the cost of components since I built this thing (and not for gaming, obviously), so I don't really know what's out there. :# Back in 2014, this build was about $3k. Ideally, I suppose my range would be anything below $900, if that's even feasible today for something decent. Less is always preferable- and as I said, I'm not a gamer aside from STO. Oh, and my power supply is 750W with display connectors DVI-I DL + 2x DP1.2.

tigeraries wrote: »
    yeah it's happening to me as well... keep getting crashes. game just freezes and no response. need to CAD out and restart game. a small pop up comes up to report crash also happens from time to time.

I will occasionally get a crash report as well. I've also spent time looking at the error logs (which I shared with technical support) but they weren't very illuminating.
    tigeraries wrote: »

Do you also have a Quadro card?

I've read again and again people saying how problematic STO is compared to other games. I have no frame of reference as this is the only game I play (and I tend to assume people like to complain for the sake of complaining) but what you say makes sense. I see similar issues in the modeling software industry (Revit, etc)... big changes, big developments, big improvements, BIG glitches that multiply faster than they seem to know how to fix them, and not taking into account compatibility.

I am going to be very, very honest with you - I haven't researched the cost of components since I built this thing (and not for gaming, obviously), so I don't really know what's out there. :# Back in 2014, this build was about $3k. Ideally, I suppose my range would be anything below $900, if that's even feasible today for something decent. Less is always preferable- and as I said, I'm not a gamer aside from STO. Oh, and my power supply is 750W with display connectors DVI-I DL + 2x DP1.2.

Ah... The thing I'm scared about is that I'm not 100% sure it's the Quadro card causing issues, but it would be the most logical thing considering how awful STO can perform on certain hardware configurations.. The issue is that STO has had some graphical "overhauls" after launch such as Lightning 2.0 etc.. Even with them disabled in the graphical settings the game just, runs differently than in the old days.

Hmm.. Do you have a use for 30 days return policy where you live? Where I live, you can buy something.. Use it up to 30 days, and return it for a full refund.. If you keep your hands on all the packaging and open it without tearing it to shreds.. That way you could purchase a GPU.. Test it, and if the game acts the same.. Return it for a full refund, and then we start looking for another solution, lol.

Or you could cheap-out and buy a really cheap GPU just to see if the game runs more stable... But then that could cost you graphical performance, and you'd have to purchase another GPU to play the game at high graphics.. It's not an easy decision.

Then again, you could also sell it.. Or just buy the more "expensive" GPU and if it doesn't work, try to sell that.. Not sure how the used selling market is where you live either. In the US it's easy to sell things second hand, where I live... Everyone buy new, so.. Bork. lol.
  • idi3#7317 idi3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    hi,
    there are failed solutions that you failed to do or mention.

for thermal you mentioned cpu only, what about a visual inspection inside your box. do you have any vent blockages inside the case,psu etc. Are you having heating issues with bridges on your motherboard, ram, gpu or psu.
    have you checked your cables for connection issues after you cleaned the inside of your case.
    you did not mention a check of your bios setting and if you are attempting to overclock a locked cpu, ram compatability with motd, timeings voltages auto overclocking etc.
    have you done any stress testing of your hardware other than a ram test?, like some serious rendering
    you did not mention the condition of your .........harddrive!.
    its summer time, did i mention checking temps of ALL of your hardware include the harddrive
    oh and before i forget , have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of your .........harddrive to determine if its overheated or otherwise failing
    i run the game on linux so i can't give you any hints on windows 10 except wouldn't you be better off with m$7.
    oh one last thought, the condition of your .........harddrive should include the health of the filesystem.
    i hope i have give enough emphasis to thermal and .........harddrive, good luck