AXANAR locks in START DATE for Filming!

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    equinox976 wrote: »
    There is no doubt that after the success of the 2009 reboot

There was no reboot of ST in 2009. the KT films are in the same canon as all previous films and TV shows so aren't reboots.

The only canon in Star Trek 2009 is Spock. If Star Trek 2009 didn't have Spock, then it would have been a reboot instead of being the confusing mess that it is.

Not even slightly. Also, Spock is from TOS, that makes him one of the only links from previous instalments. The fact that this is a film in the same canon as the others is what makes it canon, not how many characters are from previous instalments. Canon is not continuity, canon is up to the franchise owners.

It's also really not confusing in the slightest. 8 years after NEM Spock and Nero travel back in time to 60 after ENT in 2233, their presence creates an alternate timeline à la Yesterday's Enterprise, that persists to at least 2263, running concurrently with DSC. All those facts are spelt out in the films. The only reason you fine it complicated is you keep ignoring the films and making up your own quantum bollocks. That's on you, not the films.
    ​​

It is canon that the Kelvin Timeline and Prime Timeline exist in the same multiverse, but the canon of the Kelvin Timeline and Prime Timeline is mostly restricted to itself. Nothing in the Kelvin Timeline will affect the Prime Timeline while Spock is the only link from the canon in the Prime Timeline and the Kelvin Timeline. There is no USS Discovery with a Spore Drive with Burnham that is dealing with a rogue AI in the Kelvin Timeline and Vulcan is not destroyed in the Prime Timeline.

The only difference between standard reboots and Star Trek 2009 is Star Trek 2009 used Spock to link TOS with Star Trek 2009. Without the presence of Spock, then Star Trek 2009 is a standard reboot.

The confusing mess is that Star Trek 2009 wanted to be a reboot without being a reboot. Why else would they use Kirk and his crew with a completely new origin story if they didn't want to do a messy reboot of TOS? At least Seth MacFarlane had the decency to create his own unique version of TOS to act out his fantasy of being Captain Kirk or whatever his reason for creating a TV Series that is in the same style as TOS. As far as the vast majority of people are concerned, if a new series or movie has the same characters while using different actors and tells a different story, then it is a reboot. Besides the vast majority of reboots could be considered as happening in an alternate reality to the original series or movie.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    The only person who seems confused here, Star, is you. I suggest you avoid Marvel Comics' title Exiles - that's a team drawn from across Marvel's (so far) 200,000 known timelines, whose purpose is to patrol those timelines to prevent such events as the collision and melding of 616 and 1610 (an event that nearly destroyed both universes). You'd be totally lost - the most recent lineup included Wolvie of the X-Babies and Peggy Carter as Captain America.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    The only person who seems confused here, Star, is you. I suggest you avoid Marvel Comics' title Exiles - that's a team drawn from across Marvel's (so far) 200,000 known timelines, whose purpose is to patrol those timelines to prevent such events as the collision and melding of 616 and 1610 (an event that nearly destroyed both universes). You'd be totally lost - the most recent lineup included Wolvie of the X-Babies and Peggy Carter as Captain America.

Star Trek 2009 is a sequel/continuation only as far as old Spock and the destruction of Romulus is concerned. It is a reboot since it has the same characters as TOS, but a completely different history. It can't be a prequel since it is not set before TOS, but in its own reality. If Star Trek 2009 never had old Spock, then it would be a standard reboot with absolutely no connection to the previous series and movies. So how am I confused here?

As far as me being confused and totally lost reading something like the Exiles that is merely your opinion and is an ad hominem attack. I have read Exiles, but it was years ago.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think the Enterprise's torpedos had homing capability.

It's always possible, however I don't actually remember the Enterprise firing torpedoes. They must have at some point as we have the in STO.
    I would expect some sort of divergence after 2233 anyway, and guided torpedoes could have been one. Though now it can be seen, thanks to DSC, that even the KT proper isn't massivly different from the prime timeline in terms of technology.
    It is canon that the Kelvin Timeline and Prime Timeline exist in the same multiverse, but the canon of the Kelvin Timeline and Prime Timeline is mostly restricted to itself. Nothing in the Kelvin Timeline will affect the Prime Timeline while Spock is the only link from the canon in the Prime Timeline and the Kelvin Timeline. There is no USS Discovery with a Spore Drive with Burnham that is dealing with a rogue AI in the Kelvin Timeline and Vulcan is not destroyed in the Prime Timeline.

No. Canon is an external mechanism. There is not 'prime canon' and 'KT canon', there is only Star Trek canon. The same canon covers 09, it covers Yesterday's Enterprise, it covers AGT, it covers Yesteryear, and so on.
    The only difference between standard reboots and Star Trek 2009 is Star Trek 2009 used Spock to link TOS with Star Trek 2009. Without the presence of Spock, then Star Trek 2009 is a standard reboot.

No it's not. It takes place in the same canon as the rest of the franchise regardless of character crossovers. The TV show Runaways is in the MCU, it is part of that canon, it currently has no characters from the rest of the franchise in it, nor does it reference other MCU events (unlike, say, Cloak & Dagger that namedrops Stark and Rand). The only thing it requires to be part of the same canon is the word of the IP owners, not a continuity link, ditto for the KT films.
    The confusing mess is that Star Trek 2009 wanted to be a reboot without being a reboot. Why else would they use Kirk and his crew with a completely new origin story if they didn't want to do a messy reboot of TOS?

Just because Abrams wanted a reboot, it dosn't mean it is. Now we know for a fact it's not and Abrams was told to go swivel, we know it's identical to any other time travel story in the franchise and it only confuses you because you seem to take one minor, early production stage, concept and assume it still influenced the production years later. Is TMP confusing to you because it was originally intended to be a TV show called Phase II?
    As far as the vast majority of people are concerned, if a new series or movie has the same characters while using different actors and tells a different story, then it is a reboot.

Irrelevant. Argumentum ad populum.
    Besides the vast majority of reboots could be considered as happening in an alternate reality to the original series or movie.

If the canon of a particular franchise allows for alternate universes and the newer work specifically takes place in one of those then it's taking place inside the same canon and is therefore not a reboot.

If the canon doesn't allow for alternate universes or the newer work is not confirmed to be in the same work then it's a reboot.

The MCU has alternate timelines (as seen in A:E and AoS) however Hulk 2003, and the Spider-Man trilogy are not part of any of it's alternate timelines nor are they canon because the IP owners say so. That makes the MCUs Spider-Man and Hulk films reboots of those previous ones.
    Star Trek 2009 is a sequel/continuation only as far as old Spock and the destruction of Romulus is concerned. It is a reboot since it has the same characters as TOS, but a completely different history. It can't be a prequel since it is not set before TOS, but in its own reality. If Star Trek 2009 never had old Spock, then it would be a standard reboot with absolutely no connection to the previous series and movies. So how am I confused here?

Endgame is only a continuation as far as old Janeway and the return of The Voyager are concerned. It is a reboot since it has the same characters as TOS, but a completely different history.

I started off doing this but after a deeper reading I realiswd you were making things up again.

The KT DOES NOT have a 'different history' to TOS until after 2233. It really is not that hard, you are massivly confused because you're making thins up and not reading any replies nor are you watching Star Trek. A changed timeline does not change the canon, it does not reboot the franchise, and it is not confusing.

Reboots require new canon. Canon is decided by the IP owners, not by the story. CBS have never rebooted ST. CBS are the IP owners. Ergo Star TRek has never been rebooted.

You seem obsessed over this delusion you have that canon is part of the internal structure of individual episodes or films and I really don't understand where you get it from. You do not own the IP, so pay attention to what CBS tells you is true and stop making our own canon up and all of a sudden you'll stop being confused.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    if we're talking KT, the enterprise fired torpedoes several times at the narada to hasten its implosion into the singularity spock ramming the jellyfish into the ship caused​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    The KT DOES NOT have a 'different history' to TOS until after 2233. It really is not that hard, you are massivly confused because you're making thins up and not reading any replies nor are you watching Star Trek. A changed timeline does not change the canon, it does not reboot the franchise, and it is not confusing.

You seem obsessed over this delusion you have that canon is part of the internal structure of individual episodes or films and I really don't understand where you get it from. You do not own the IP, so pay attention to what CBS tells you is true and stop making our own canon up and all of a sudden you'll stop being confused.​​

The IP owners and by extension the canon dictates the rules of what can happen. Canon has to do with the internal structure of the entire fictional universe not just the internal structure of individual episodes or films. Since the Prime Timeline and Kelvin Timeline have their own set of rules that can happen, then they have their own separate canon while belonging to the same Canon. The canon dictates what can and can't happen within the internal structure of individual episodes or films. If Star Trek 4 is created, then it can't have a scene on Vulcan and the new Picard series can't have a scene on Romulus or have a CGI appearance of Spock unless it involves a flashback.
    Reboots require new canon. Canon is decided by the IP owners, not by the story. CBS have never rebooted ST. CBS are the IP owners. Ergo Star TRek has never been rebooted.

It is Paramount that created Star Trek 2009 not CBS. So if anyone rebooted Star Trek, it would be Paramount not CBS. AFAIK, Paramount owns the rights to any Star Trek movies while CBS owns the rights to any Star Trek TV series. Since Paramount owned the rights to the ships from the new Star Trek movies, then Cryptic had to negotiate with Paramount to get permission to add those ships to STO.

You say you've read Exiles - but you're horribly confused by just one spinoff universe in Trek?

The Kelvin Timeline is not a reboot. The new Battlestar Galactica was a reboot - the Twelve Colonies were different, the Cylons were a creation of humans rather than being the warrior robots of a dead civilization of reptiles, they actually seemed to understand the difference between FTL and STL, etc. The KT is a variant universe, and the only "evidence" of anything being any different about physics there is the cosmetic appearance of warp drive. And has been pointed out to you, that has changed from incarnation to incarnation even in the same time period. TOS: "The Cage" (and the scenes used from it in TOS: "The Menagerie") had the ship turning translucent, with a moving starfield visible through it; we had no interaction with the characters during transit. TOS in general abandoned the translucent effect, settling for the much less expensive "ship accelerates away" and then having a moving starfield background while under way.

In TMP, warp drive involved a series of rainbow circles, the phenomenon referred to earlier as "summoning the Bifrost". Later TOS movies had warp drive characterized by a rainbow trail. TNG had ships accelerate to a vanishing point, then disappear in a clap of thunder and a flash of light. And so forth. Nobody ever tried to claim there was any difference in physics, or that those were different universes, or reboots or whatever other term you might choose - we all just accepted that art can evolve.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    @starkaos. Back to having the posts hidden. If you want to make things complicated by making stuff up and then demanding the film abide by your made up stuff then go for it. I'm sure it makes you happy. It sure as hell dosn't make you correct, and means that any conclusions you draw will be based on made up evidence and thus, fallacious. However, you've never changed that approach, preferring a comforting lie to the, often dull, truth and I really can't be bothered any more.

if we're talking KT, the enterprise fired torpedoes several times at the narada to hasten its implosion into the singularity spock ramming the jellyfish into the ship caused

The 'fire everything scene'? I only remember phaser cannons but I can always watch it again.
    In TMP, warp drive involved a series of rainbow circles, the phenomenon referred to earlier as "summoning the Bifrost".

It's a shame George Kirk died before he could see his son do that. He'd be so proud.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    The 'fire everything scene'? I only remember phaser cannons but I can always watch it again. ​​

https://youtu.be/zlGRNRAL148?t=185
    If this doesn't work... skip to about 305. The torpedos are a silvery color and come out the neck in the same place the torp launcher is on the Prime Refit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    3:11 shows torpedoes firing alongside the phasers, and a few seconds later focuses on the torpedo launcher itself

https://youtu.be/zlGRNRAL148?t=193​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Thank you. Though I have to say they don't look particularly 'guided' or anything. Just going straight forward.​​

#TASforSTO

well, any depiction of guidance cannot be relied on when you're firing them at a ship being consumed by a BLACK HOLE​​

#LegalizeAwoo

well, any depiction of guidance cannot be relied on when you're firing them at a ship being consumed by a BLACK HOLE​​

I realise that. However it was earlier stated that they had some form of guidance and if this is their only scene it should be evidently here.

#TASforSTO

As mentioned before, Battlestar Galactica got a true reboot. Star Trek still has everything that came before the 2009 movie. Reboots generally don't reference anything from the past at all. NuBSG doesn't reference anything from TOS BSG at all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    As mentioned before, Battlestar Galactica got a true reboot. Star Trek still has everything that came before the 2009 movie. Reboots generally don't reference anything from the past at all. NuBSG doesn't reference anything from TOS BSG at all.

Didn't they have the original Galactica set with the wired phones and original Cylons at some point?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Didn't they have the original Galactica set with the wired phones and original Cylons at some point?​​

RDM's BSG referenced the original show in terms of tech (the OG Battlestar became the Artemis-Class Light Battlestar in BSG:Deadlock; the vipers became 1st Cylon War MkI Vipers; OG Cylons, Raiders, and Baseships became 1st Cylon War Cylons, Raiders, and Basestars, etc.), but the story from the original show wasn't canon to the new show.
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I dislike the Axanar project from the way it was financed, and the way events have panned out,however it did produce 1 thing i like.
    The USS Ares ,which is the ship we will never get in STO.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Axanar seems to be trying to mesh the Kelvin era with the TOS era instead of trying to ignore TOS, which hurts it's potential. Plus it's going to be completely incompatible with DSC which means it's just going to lose all impact.

To each his own, I've tried to accept Discovery to the extent that "some" fans like the show, but to me it is a hot mess that needed to percolate far longer before launching. There has been a single aspect of the series that worked well for me and that was Anson Mount as Captain Pike and the TOS-inspired elements related to his portrayal. I knew that he would not be an ongoing part of the Discovery's voyage and apparently there was some abrasion with the actor himself on set, but still Pike made the show worthwhile. A condemnation of the mostly warped parts of a show that had a ton of money poured into it and then wasted it all in their genuinely out of left field style of lore mangling.

The various showrunners did not have to follow everything by rote that had come before, but a lead character as a mutineer who caused a war, getting her ship destroyed and her commanding officer killed in the process and who was a previously undisclosed sibling of a major franchise character was too, too much to absorb. Adding insult to injury at the close of the season the Federation magically chose to forgive all of that?? Seriously WTF???

However in all fairness I must credit Discovery for still causing me fits of raucous laughter over that!

In fact CBS All Access is hardly alone in opting to spin something as a prequel that avoids actually using Captain Pike and his tenure aboard Enterprise as the basis of a series, given the earlier Enterprise show on Fox (or was it UPN)?

• captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    ...A condemnation of the mostly warped parts of a show that had a ton of money poured into it and then wasted it all in their genuinely out of left field style of lore mangling....

What lore? We knew next to nothing about this era prior to Discovery. You can't "mangle" what doesn't exist.

Wasn't trying to start any argument, only spinning my own opinion. You know, I did start out by saying that I've tried to find a way to like the show and acknowledged that others seem to, so all good.

As far as the unknown aspects of that era, true but after Sybok from The Final Frontier did we really need another previously "undiscovered" Spock sibling? Or was that just lazily repetitive on their part? Seems more mangling of lore to me!

And the ideals of the Federation being so easily set aside after mutiny-death-destruction on a massive scale in the wake of Burnham's actions was little more than .... dare we say it, sauce for the goose.

Okay, one more time for the cheap seats - Burnham did not cause the war. That would be T'Kuvma, the Klingon religious fanatic and leader of a doomsday cult, who was determined to start a war with whichever Federation ship showed up to investigate the communications relay he'd destroyed. Burnham just happened to be the lucky individual on the scene.

What's more, context shows that had she been permitted to carry out her "Vulcan Hello" move, there likely wouldn't have been a war - without T'Kuvma to whip the Empire into a frenzy, calmer, more self-centered heads would have likely shown up, blustered for a while, and left. That's why Starfleet never charged her with starting a war, and why they excused her mutiny later, because if she'd succeeded it might well have saved a lot of lives. (Of course, had she succeeded it might also have precipitated an unfortunate change in Starfleet culture, and we might have wound up with something more like the KT than Prime, but that's another issue altogether.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    In the end, those ideals which you seem to believe got tossed out the window are what resolved the entire season peacefully.

This. Very much this.
    Furthermore - and if you actually watched the show you would know this - the crew did stick to their ideals and ended the Klingon war. The chose to not decimate Q'onos and everyone on it. They chose to work with an enemy intent on wiping them out to reach a tenuous arrangement for a cease fire. We all know why Lorca had his "win at any cost" attitude. In the end, those ideals which you seem to believe got tossed out the window are what resolved the entire season peacefully.
    I wish I could find the clip from that episode on YouTube, just so I could post Burnham's lecture to Cornwell on the topic. (Then again, I also want a clip of Spock mocking Burnham and her tendency to make everything about her from season 2).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    ...A condemnation of the mostly warped parts of a show that had a ton of money poured into it and then wasted it all in their genuinely out of left field style of lore mangling....

What lore? We knew next to nothing about this era prior to Discovery. You can't "mangle" what doesn't exist.

And the Season Finale made sure that the inhabitants of the Star Trek Universe knew next to nothing about anything in Discovery since everything about the Discovery and her crew has been classified. Unlike every other Star Trek series where most of their adventures become mandatory reading for Starfleet Academy. One of the problems with Discovery is that it is too focused on the Klingon War or the Seven Signals/Control that we don't experience what the 2250s Federation is like while DS9 and Voyager was great for knowing what the 2370s Federation and the Delta Quadrant was like.
    Okay, one more time for the cheap seats - Burnham did not cause the war. That would be T'Kuvma, the Klingon religious fanatic and leader of a doomsday cult, who was determined to start a war with whichever Federation ship showed up to investigate the communications relay he'd destroyed. Burnham just happened to be the lucky individual on the scene.

What's more, context shows that had she been permitted to carry out her "Vulcan Hello" move, there likely wouldn't have been a war - without T'Kuvma to whip the Empire into a frenzy, calmer, more self-centered heads would have likely shown up, blustered for a while, and left. That's why Starfleet never charged her with starting a war, and why they excused her mutiny later, because if she'd succeeded it might well have saved a lot of lives. (Of course, had she succeeded it might also have precipitated an unfortunate change in Starfleet culture, and we might have wound up with something more like the KT than Prime, but that's another issue altogether.)

Burnham created hesitation with her actions which led to the war with the Klingons. Sacrificing the Shenzhou or carrying out the Vulcan Hello would have at least temporarily halted the war from getting started. T'Kuvma could have always found another reason for starting his war or someone else could have started the war, but they wouldn't have been able to use the excuse of hesitation.

This discussion has been closed.