test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you guys planning to get the new Disco Constitution or D7?

Comments

• ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    No, I won’t bother with them because…
    reyan01 wrote: »

Best. Ship. EVER! :D

<laugh>
    i agree..., best ship ever!!!
    My friend was doing average 8k dps, NOW HE IS DOING 12k dps with the new connie!!!
    too much OP!!! for god sake, someone nerf it!!!
    </laugh>
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    For me the situation with the new beams and cannons in general state as follows atm:

beams > advanced beams (from the discoprise) >> cannons

I think what is worth to consider for cryptic to be chnaged is...

beams > advanced beams (from the discoprise) > cannons

to still relfect the higher skill level involved for making cannons work and, in any case, to reflect the fact that advanced beams are like 10 to 100 times more expencive (harder to get) than regular beams eventhough they only perform like 1.2 times as good. Personaly I hope they dont do anything in the direction of beams = advanced beams but given how many others seem to feel about this have not much hope here.

Big thank you for the detailed recomendation @seaofsorrows. It is frightening to see that you seem to know my toon fam as good as I do now by now. :|

Also thanks for the input @angrytarg. Yea AoY toons surely makes more sense here and toon RP elements still plays into for me despite mere performance aspects.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ancientfighterancientfighter Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    DPS is directly related to the player, not the ship.

wow, i not knew that!
    I was trolling his quote and it seems I did well.

Btw, is not cool show dps-parses with the names of others players on the forum.
    edited July 2019
    DPS is directly related to the player, not the ship.

wow, i not knew that!
    I was trolling his quote and it seems I did well.

Btw, is not cool show dps-parses with the names of others players on the forum.

I'm sure nobody got hurt. ;)

And have edited the post in question, though can't do anything about the posts that quoted it in it's orginal form.

Be careful! Showing DPS logs is the path to the dark side. Logs lead to fear, fear leads to hate... and all. Other than that so cool u scratch DPS Gold in casual pug runs. >:)

7dca0d8b9bdf8fe1faaf312128523ba00e11139d_hq.gif
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Showing the names is not a huge deal, they're generally hidden as a courtesy just because you never know when someone is going to be offended that their parse was posted. As pete said, no one got hurt.. life will go on.

As far as the Beams go, this will tell us a lot about Cryptic. If they wait until after the 11th when the Ship promo is over and THEN nerf the beams.. that will be really slimy. If they leave them powerful to get people to try and open boxes for them and then nerf them once they have all the money, that will tell you all you need to know about the direction they're taking.

I am really hoping that's not the case.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    huh, got stupid lucky, bought 50 keys and 1 r&d pack today... nothing from the lock boxes, but i got the promo box. Went ahead and got the new d7 pack on a kdf toon, but posted it....
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Be careful! Showing DPS logs is the path to the dark side. Logs lead to fear, fear leads to hate... and all. Other than that so cool u scratch DPS Gold in casual pug runs. >:)

Well, it's silly really - 79k isn't really that impressive - it's simply the case that it was a good result for me personally. I only really mentioned it because came as a surprise; I copied my tactical character's build as closely as possible, substituting cannons for beams, to see how it would perform and that was the result. I wasn't expecting to get a result so close to my Tac char's best result (86.5k)!

Showing the names is not a huge deal, they're generally hidden as a courtesy just because you never know when someone is going to be offended that their parse was posted. As pete said, no one got hurt.. life will go on.

As far as the Beams go, this will tell us a lot about Cryptic. If they wait until after the 11th when the Ship promo is over and THEN nerf the beams.. that will be really slimy. If they leave them powerful to get people to try and open boxes for them and then nerf them once they have all the money, that will tell you all you need to know about the direction they're taking.

I am really hoping that's not the case.

Yeah - that would be really transparent, and frankly disgusting.

To be honest, given how long they usually take to fix balance issues like that, I would be very surprised if they would be done with that before the promo is over.

Sure, it might be part of the intent, but how long was, say, Plasmonic Leech or Embassay Consoles key build components for basically every high DPS build? That these beams are overpowered is not really a big deal to the game overall, because most people still aren't rich enough to just buy a ship for some OP beams.
    And those that are should really know better than to trust something imbalanced to always stay that way. You never know how long it lasts, but you can't assume it will last.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Given that Spartan said, almost immediately after the Donnie's release, that she was looking into possibly adjusting the performance of the Donnie Beams and beams in general, no it wouldn't be "disgusting" or "slimy" or any other pejorative you want to use, because players were given a heads up that it might be coming from the get-go. How much time that takes is obviously up to how much data Spartan needs to make that determination and how best to make that adjustment, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen overnight and mostly likely after the promo ends.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited July 2019
    Given that Spartan said, almost immediately after the Donnie's release, that she was looking into possibly adjusting the performance of the Donnie Beams and beams in general, no it wouldn't be "disgusting" or "slimy" or any other pejorative you want to use, because players were given a heads up that it might be coming from the get-go. How much time that takes is obviously up to how much data Spartan needs to make that determination and how best to make that adjustment, but it was obvious that it wasn't going to happen overnight and mostly likely after the promo ends.

I know I am not allowed to say any more, so I'll just keep it simple. Mentioning that it might get nerfed on a live stream is not giving the player base a 'heads up.' A very small percentage of the player base views the live streams and we have no regular dev blogs or news sources for this type of thing. The average player hears in game that the ship performs well and makes a more earnest attempt to purchase the ship.

The ship has been available with no adjustment for weeks. It will be another couple weeks before the promo ends, that's more then an adequate window to make adjustments. You're welcome to your opinion, but I am welcome to mine and if an 'adjustment' is made post promo, that would, to me.. look very bad on cryptic. I however, already believe they engage in these type of practices as history supports which is why I don't get ships like this with cash to begin with. I am not accusing Spartan or anyone specifically in engaging in these types of practices, in fact.. she probably has nothing to do with it and is not to blame.

Cryptic does many things I like, and overall frequently displays a generosity with their player base that is unheard of in most other games. From random give aways, to free event ships to the recent 'free T6 ship' promotion, they do a lot of great things that I acknowledge and appreciate. Reducing power on an item after it sells is simply one small aspect of their model that I personally find distasteful. It's not an overall condemnation on any specific person or staff member, it's simply a small part of their model that I disapprove of.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    To cut a delicate diamond their tool of choice is a sledgehammer.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2019

First of all I appreciate it very much that you arbitrate here a bit in light of Crytic’s spare information flow on the matter. Thank you.

For me it does not change the fact however as to what happened here. If the beams are going to get nerfed Cryptic released broken stuff… again. This time behind a huge pay/progression wall only those most dedicated to this title overcame. Where are the red lines in the info boxes of the new ships that the beams are currently not working as intended? Where are the forum threads of the community manager spreading the news? Why aren’t the beams excluded from the upgrade system for the time being?

The stuff Cryptic could do in order not to cast a slur at itself here is wide. Perverse part is that such means would be used without hesitation if the fruits of their overworked devs would not work in their financial favor; when entire sectors in game get closed because players progress 17 times faster than they should and are accused of cheating. Not much time to gather data was needed back then and it was simple to act first, give the info in forums asap and repair the broken stuff later on.

Oh well, at least for those of us who are aboard long enough this may be disappointing but hardly a surprise. Let Spartan take all the time in the world to gathering data, make her determinations and look into it before placing final judgment on topic. At the moment I’m just glad she works as a game designer for virtual "oh we wanted them to make good but are suprised they came out that good" weapons and not somewhere in the automotive or food industry. :D
    animated.gif
    edited July 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Well, it's silly really - 79k isn't really that impressive - it's simply the case that it was a good result for me personally. I only really mentioned it because came as a surprise; I copied my tactical character's build as closely as possible, substituting cannons for beams, to see how it would perform and that was the result. I wasn't expecting to get a result so close to my Tac char's best result (86.5k)!

79k is more than what I usually parse. It's actually a fairly impressive number regardless of tact captain in a DPS ship or not.

I fully agree with Napalm here @reyan01.

The hardest part about numbers is not to produce them but to reasonably compare them with one another because the respective situation in ISA can be adjusted in almost incomprehensive ways by the teams who play it. Don’t look at figures 10 times of yours or whatever. If I for example want to set records I have the luxury of the DPS league admin team backing me up or when I need info have Felisean who takes hours of his free time to explain the finest details to me in team-speak. It’s like the numbers just fall from the sky as a result then and using them to compare me with anybody who is not in such a privileged position is like the last thing I would do.

For you DPS seems to be but a mild side quest in STO which is perfectly fine and for which you progressed far. I would gladly take you as wingmen into every elite map and don’t have the slightest doubt that you would not do your part. Keep on practicing, evolve more in your own pace and never forget where you came from when you look at numbers 10 times below yours. We have (too) many players in game not even managing 8k in ISA. ;)
    animated.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I really only want them for the looks 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    You know, I understand that it is an anethma for them to put an upcoming Ship on Tribble for testing. But, introducing a new mechanic for a weapon like on the Advanced Phasers, they could have put them in the Dilitium Store on Tribble and unlocked them for everyone for a more thorough test before going live.

More wide ranging testing could help prevent this sort of 'debacle' that only breeds mistrust.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Consider that adjusting the beams does not necessarily mean nerf. I believe Spartan did say that they could be buffed, especially if all beams get buffed. Again it depends on what conclusion she comes to after looking at them again.

My only point was that it's disingenuous to claim underhanded tactics on Cryptic's part when it was stated publicly early on that they MIGHT be changed.

And as for people not watching livestreams, reading Twitter/Facebook/Forum, etc., that's on the individual if they won't avail themselves of the information provided.
    GrWzQke.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I agree. If people stick their heads in the sand rather than avail themselves of at least one of the information streams, then it's on them if a reported possible change catches them off-guard.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Well with all the sales going on, I decided to buy 20 Promotional R&D Packs. Opened them and only received 180 Lobi.... and 2 Ship Packs.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Just curious...where did Spartan say she might change the beams on the forum exactly? Or anywhere on the official site? Maybe she did...but really, Cryptic is kinda terrible about saying stuff on their actual platform instead of other people's platform.

She said it on the livestream. The OFFICIAL livestream. That thing they broadcast directly from their offices. It can be viewed on Facebook via the OFFICIAL facebook page and/or on the OFFICIAL Twitch channel.

Having to check other people's platform to be kept up to date is somewhat unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable. Not even somewhat. We now live in a multimedia society. Some platforms lend themselves better towards certain types of media/interaction. The forum doesn't really support doing a livestream or live podcast. Twitter and Facebook lend themselves to quicker, more responsive interaction with a wider possible audience (we all know that forum users are a minority of the overall population).

If they would post things in their news section or hell even the forum (a link to a podcast does not count) enough so that you can be kept up to date using just those, I would agree with you.

Ha! So, even if a link to the original format is provided IN THE FORUM, it still doesn't count as far as your concerned. SMH. What would satisfy you? Kael transcribing every livestream (because it would have to be him or another Cryptic employee to meet your OFFICIAL standard) and posting it in GNN?

I don't twitter. I don't facebook. I don't reddit. These are all what I believe to be evil companies. Hell I barely youtube.

And here we have the truth of it then. "Big, bad, evil companies." :unamused:

So yeah...post stuff on your own damn site and there really should be nothing reasonable to complain about. But as it stands...no it is not reasonable that you have to go to OTHER sites to be kept up to date.

STO Facebook Page, STO Twitter Account, STO Twitch Channel are their own damn sites. They directly manage them. If you want to dismiss those because they are hosted on someone else's service, well, I hate to break it to you, but the forum is hosted by Vanilla, so Cryptic doesn't own that either. Does the forum now get dismissed as OFFICIAL?

Look, you don't want to use those services/platforms, that's your prerogative. But you know they exist. And you know that they share information via those platforms that doesn't always make it to the forum through official channels. They're not hiding that information from anyone who wants it. Refusing to avail yourself of the information being offered there, though, is being willfully ignorant. And complaining about information that has been shared through official channels, just not posted in the forum, is unreasonable.
    GrWzQke.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I do not use Facebook or Twitter but anything STO publishes there ends up here a few hours later anyway in one form or another, so really it is a moot point where they originally announce things.

And as for people not watching livestreams, reading Twitter/Facebook/Forum, etc., that's on the individual if they won't avail themselves of the information provided.

This is a surprising view, but very well.

Just a note though, this game is played by people all over the world. If the live stream happens at 3am your time, then it's your responsibility to wake up at 3am to be sure you are in the loop?

If you are in the US and work evenings, it's your responsibility to tell your boss your current project has to pause for an hour so you can log onto twitch and watch the live stream?

Do you know any other game that only distributes information via a weekly live stream? I personally follow them on Facebook, I obviously read here, and on Twitter.. the only reason I get this information is because occasionally someone is kind enough to recap it. I am an adult with a full time job and responsibilities, it's not 'on me' to make sure I watch the live stream and frankly, that's ridiculous.

The responsibility to distribute news and information is on Cryptic and they consistently and continually fail to do it. There is another game I play, I won't name it because I know some mods don't like that, but the Dev company is in the UK. They also do a weekly live stream with the news and information coming to the game and after it's over a synopsis is posted in text form on their forum for people who couldn't watch it. That's how most companies do it, those that missed it can just read the recap.

Saying it once and then saying 'if you didn't hear it.. tough' is in no way an acceptable policy and I think you know this. Having a developer come in and drop once sentence during a 1hr + stream and considering the community 'informed' is frankly laughable.

Cryptic does a lot of things well.. they really do. Distributing information to their player base however, is absolutely not one of them and this has been a problem for years. Congrats, you watch the live stream.. not everyone can. That doesn't mean we have less right to know what's going on then you do.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

The responsibility to distribute news and information is on Cryptic and they consistently and continually fail to do it. There is another game I play, I won't name it because I know some mods don't like that, but the Dev company is in the UK. They also do a weekly live stream with the news and information coming to the game and after it's over a synopsis is posted in text form on their forum for people who couldn't watch it. That's how most companies do it, those that missed it can just read the recap.

I agree that Cryptic posting a bullet-point / patch notes style recap of the livestream doesn't seem like too much to ask. That would be a lot less work than a transcription.

In my case I hate listening to podcasts and watching streams and tutorial videos on YouTube because speech is so much slower than my reading speed. I feel like I'm waiting and waiting some more for the precious bits of information to gather and fall, drop by drop.
    Media Corps anyone?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    This is a surprising view, but very well.

(snip)

All of the livestreams are recorded and can be watched later at your leisure either on Facebook or Twitch, so your arguments about taking time off work and time zones are moot. If you wanted to, you could watch it later, that's how I usually see them, personally. And yes, it is on the individual to get the information, whether it be here in the Forum, Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, etc., because a Cryptic employee isn't hand delivering it to your front door. I've seen threads here insisting that all of that information be made available somehow within the game itself, so that players don't have to go anywhere but the game to get information.

Cryptic does distribute information, though. Just because they may not do so via a particular format that you'd prefer, doesn't mean that they aren't distributing information.

I did not realize that Cryptic bought out facebook and twitch. Man they must be rolling in the dough to do that. STO twitch, facebook or twitter account is not OWNED by them. They are there at the graces of those companies. Graces that can be revoked. So yeah no, those are not their own platforms. They are using other people's platforms to spread the info...but they really should start with their own damn platform.

Apparently, you weren't paying attention. I already said that they don't own them, and they are hosted via those platforms. They are also hosted via Vanilla, too. They don't own the forum software. That was my point. But you're giving more credence to that platform over the others even though Cryptic doesn't own it either. ALL of those platforms are official and just as valid for distributing information to the masses. So, again I'll say, just because you don't like how they distribute information, doesn't mean that they aren't distributing information.

Look, I'm not going to continue arguing the point, because it is starting to derail the thread. If you want to be more informed, I've pointed out where you can find the information. Avail yourself of it or not, your choice.
    GrWzQke.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    I've seen threads here insisting that all of that information be made available somehow within the game itself, so that players don't have to go anywhere but the game to get information.

well, i mean...CO (you know, that cryptic game that got virtually abandoned because of STO stealing most of their developers years back?) just recently added a button ingame to their version of the landing page for viewing release notes, so apparently at least SOME cryptic developers think providing information IN THE ACTUAL GAME is not such an unreasonable idea​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited July 2019
    Cryptic does distribute information, though. Just because they may not do so via a particular format that you'd prefer, doesn't mean that they aren't distributing information.

So it's unreasonable to ask them to use their own Official Forum? It's not like I am asking them to use Myspace or something ridiculous.

There are no links anywhere on this forum for any of those live streams.. they aren't even mentioned. I guess I have to search their facebook page?

We have a News section.. no information..
    We have a Media Section.. no information..
    We have a release notes section.. no information..
    General Discussion.. no information..

This is Cryptic's own official forum. How do I even find this information?

I'm not being sarcastic.. I really don't know. I have been here forever and this news that the live streams are archived to be viewed anytime is actually news to me. I'm not sure how exactly I am supposed to know that much less where I find it. I can find the newest one by back searching their facebook page.. but again, there is no source to just pull up past live streams. Maybe I need a Twitch Subscription?

The Live Streams are supposed to be the source for all of our news yet there is no mention of them or links to them anywhere. Do you not find that odd?

You have information channels that the rest of us don't have my friend. I am sorry, but I honestly don't think you realize how hard it is for the average player to get the information you have such easy access to. I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative, I really see this as one of Cryptic's most serious problems and it's been this way for a very long time.
    edited July 2019
    @seaofsorrows Of course, it's not unreasonable for them to use the Forum. They do. It's just not the only place they use. Some places are easier to communicate quickly and more widespread than others, though.

I'll grant you that maybe there could be more official talk about livestreams here. Why it isn't mentioned more often by Kael here in the forum, I don't know. But it does get mentioned all the time on Twitter and Facebook.

Here's the link to the STO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekOnlineGame
    To the left you'll see a tab labeled Videos, which includes the livestreams.

Here's the link to the STO Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/crypticstudios/videos
    The livestreams don't seem to stay archived here, though.

Here's the link to the STO Twitter: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame

NOTE: I'm able to view all of these without being logged in to my accounts, so you won't really need one unless you actually want to interact via these platforms.

I found all of these before I ever became a moderator. I made it a point to find outlets that disseminated as much information from the devs as I could. The only information channel that I have access to, that the rest of the community doesn't, is the community management team chat. Anyone can get access to the above, though.

Perhaps I should include those links in my signature from now on to make them easier for folks to get to.

EDIT: After adding the links to my signature, I notice that those respective pages actually open up within Arc itself, if you are using Arc. As such, the videos do not play due to some coding that Arc apparently cannot read, so the links will have to be opened in a regular internet browser.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    > @szim said:
    > Unique phasers and pets, a wave of fighters coming down on the enemy.. sounds like a lot of fun. I still have a Mirror Crossfield lying around. So I'm gonna trade it for a Discoprise. But frankly, these top tier promo ships should be account unlocks. How many players are ever going to open more than one on the same account? Are there any at all?

I just opened my second Kelvin Timeline Intel Dreadnought a couple days ago, because it was for a new "dedicated dreadnought cruiser" captain, and it happened to be only 150,000,000. However that's far less than most lockbox ships and of course nowhere near the cost of a R&D promo ship.

So no, I won't bother because it's too rich for my blood. I'm admittedly terrible at the in game economy and could never grind out that much ec. And just buying boxes to sell for that amount is out of my budget. :'(
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
This discussion has been closed.