test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to Launch Game

After the server came back up from downtime yesterday I went about patching then trying to start the game. Got as far as the Cryptic logo with loading bar getting stuck roughly 3/4 of the way through loading, game hung there for about 5 minutes then stopped responding. Closed game, restarted to verify and that as well locked up.

Decided to restart my pc and try again and verify finished this time around. Launched the game and got stuck at the Cryptic logo again. Figured something is probably corrupted so uninstall/reinstall. Started it up today and still getting locked up on the logo. Rolled back my overclocking a couple weeks ago (was causing issues with the Far Cry series) so ruled that out.

No "Ooops" message, nothing, just GameClient.exe stops responding. Was installed on my 2Tb but even tried it on my SSD main drive and still crashing. Reinstalled it back onto my 2TB drive (second reinstall) and, you guessed it, still locking up at the same point. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting ready to just retire from the game again and go back to EVE Online.

Specs are;
Windows 10 x64 Pro
Asus ROG Strix RX480 8GB
AMD Fx-8350 4.01GHz
32GB Ram
480GB SSD (main drive)
2TB Storage Drive

Comments

• jcox2jcox2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    having similar issues all of a sudden
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Have you tried launching in safe mode. Your graphics settings will reset to default but you can put those back to how they were from safe mode. If you are able to launch in safe mode and put your graphics setting back to how you had them don't enter the game instead close the game and them relaunch as normal. This is not 100% successful you may need to launch in safe mode a few times for it to work work normally again.
    To launch in safe mode go to options on the launcher under the section "Game" uncheck full screen and check safe mode. Save, then click engage.
    Hope this helps.
  • hosanin#8084 hosanin Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Quick update; safe mode didn't work and resulted in the same freeze. Since I was done with playing my Farcry games on PC I figured I'd put my overclock profile back in action. Loaded up a couple other games (Black Desert Online, EVE, Warframe) and messed around on those.

June 1st I was on a large group ride that takes place here in Canada every June (Heroes Highway Ride) so didn't bother with any games over the weekend. Today I loaded up the game determined to get it working again - 1.3x GB download and now the game is running perfectly fine.

Guessing that somewhere along the lines of the download and verify process it missed a few corrupted or missing files (one being an account promotion file). Now I'm off to fly in circles around sector space waiting for RTFO's to start lol
    Glad to read you are back in game :) \\//
    edited June 2019
    I am now having an issue where when I get into game I can not move at all. I can not change toon or log out. I can only exit. I have cleared cache etc. I can not force verify as the launcher is now stalled on version number. It has taken 4 minutes stalled on version number before I could launch in safe mode but the character selection screen is now stuck on loading. Manged to now select toon screen now stuck on redirecting please wait. Maybe too many in game preventing me getting into game. Login now timed out and back to a constantly loading redirecting please wait .... sigh. Will try again tomorrow.

Finally got into game but back to not being able to move ... Bigger sigh

Just tried one last time and got in game with no issues at all. Could move. Had to be a server issue. All's good again it seems :)
    Post edited by eazzie on
  • carcosa#4225 carcosa Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    I hit engage, get the cryptic screen, and then crash. Incident ID # 549458... I will try reinstalling the game now.. safe mode doesnt work either
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    eazzie wrote: »
    I am now having an issue where when I get into game I can not move at all. I can not change toon or log out. I can only exit. I have cleared cache etc. I can not force verify as the launcher is now stalled on version number. It has taken 4 minutes stalled on version number before I could launch in safe mode but the character selection screen is now stuck on loading. Manged to now select toon screen now stuck on redirecting please wait. Maybe too many in game preventing me getting into game. Login now timed out and back to a constantly loading redirecting please wait .... sigh. Will try again tomorrow.

Finally got into game but back to not being able to move ... Bigger sigh

Just tried one last time and got in game with no issues at all. Could move. Had to be a server issue. All's good again it seems :)

Hit Alt+Enter ! setting up the screen resolution
    and restart the Game !

• carcosa#4225 carcosa Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Thought Norton was the issue but its not... someone please help! I am a lifetime subscriber and have a lot of money in this game.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    Could it be a recent Windows Update that is causing the problem? Since you have nailed down that it is not Norton and you probably have already told it to accept STO is OK and not malware. And you have uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem has not been resolved from that. Also, do you have CCleaner and/or Disk Defragmenter or something like that? If so use it frequently and that should help with some of the problems you are having. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Thought Norton was the issue but its not... someone please help! I am a lifetime subscriber and have a lot of money in this game.
    1.)
    How To Add Trusted APP 
    Follow these steps:

Open Norton Internet Security (right click on its icon in the system tray or from computer Start menu)
        Click Personal Firewall >> Configure
        Under Programs tab, click Add
        Browse to the folder where Star Trek Online is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe\), select [b]Star Trek Online.exe[/b] file, click Open
        Click OK

2.)
    [b]How do I stop Norton from blocking a program?[/b]
    Allow a blocked program

Start Norton. ...
        In the Norton main window, click Settings.
        In the Settings window, click Firewall.
        On the Program Control tab, select the program that you want to allow access to the Internet.
        In the Access drop-down list for the program entry, click Allow.
        Click Apply.

You need Do Both ! 1 & 2

Same With GameClient.exe
    e.g C:\Programm Files\Star Trek Online\Live\x64
    or
    C:\Programm Files\Star Trek Online\Live\x86

Why ? Cos you have Now Only the the STO Launcher ! But you Must the Gameclient.exe are too unlock !