test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gamble for Desire: The Disco-Connie Fiasco!

2»

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    srbin666 wrote: »
    buy 300 keys and sell em on the market its just about 375€ for a ship so where is the problem ? .........

You typically get more EC for your dollar selling promo packs instead of keys. Having said that, here is a breakdown of cost for the OP if you are considering buying zen to convert to EC to buy the ship on the exchange.

Let's say you are a PC player and this ship is going to sell for 1.5 bil EC (probably less over time, but let's just use the exchange cap as a basis for what follows). How much RL money is this going to cost you to get the amount of EC you need?

Well, promo packs(which you will be selling for EC) typically sell for around 14mil. Lets use 14 for the sake of conversation. 1.5bil / 14mil = 107 and some change, so let's round to 108. That means you will need to sell 108 promo packs to get 1.5bil EC. So the question is how much RL money will it cost you to buy 108 promo packs?

On Thursday they will be on sale. You get 4 packs for 1k zen, and 1k zen = $10. 108 / 4 = 27. 27 x 10 = 270. So for approximately $270 you can buy enough zen to buy 108 promo packs. That said, when you buy zen in bulk you also get a bonus amount, so it might wind up costing you a tad less.

But those are the ballpark figures you are looking at.

And no one sees a problem with this?
    $270 for a digital ship that goes away the second this game ends...
    EVERYTHING goes away the second this game ends. $300 promo ships, lifetime subs, garbage GPL and loot drops and everything else in the game.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    buy 300 keys and sell em on the market its just about 375€ for a ship so where is the problem ? .........

You typically get more EC for your dollar selling promo packs instead of keys. Having said that, here is a breakdown of cost for the OP if you are considering buying zen to convert to EC to buy the ship on the exchange.

Let's say you are a PC player and this ship is going to sell for 1.5 bil EC (probably less over time, but let's just use the exchange cap as a basis for what follows). How much RL money is this going to cost you to get the amount of EC you need?

Well, promo packs(which you will be selling for EC) typically sell for around 14mil. Lets use 14 for the sake of conversation. 1.5bil / 14mil = 107 and some change, so let's round to 108. That means you will need to sell 108 promo packs to get 1.5bil EC. So the question is how much RL money will it cost you to buy 108 promo packs?

On Thursday they will be on sale. You get 4 packs for 1k zen, and 1k zen = $10. 108 / 4 = 27. 27 x 10 = 270. So for approximately $270 you can buy enough zen to buy 108 promo packs. That said, when you buy zen in bulk you also get a bonus amount, so it might wind up costing you a tad less.

But those are the ballpark figures you are looking at.

I refer you back to my "choices" post. You can choose whether you want to spend money and get it fast or spend nothing and get it slow. You can also combine both options to spend some and get quicker. Each person gets to choose which option or combo of options is best for them.

(As far as it being gone when the game ends: the recent emergence of EMU servers after games shut down leaves me confident that STO will be around 'forever', and since those folks aren't allowed to make a profit they will simply place all of these lock box ships in the actual ship store in game).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    we need this to be a zen ship so that casuals can get it
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2019

No we don't.

It costs around $200 a year to play Final Fantasy XIV or WoW, you just pay it in monthly installments and $40 expansions. Plus more if you want special costumes, mounts, dyes.

A decent set of golf clubs costs $350 - $eleventy-thousand even before you pay the insane fees to play on a golf course.

Google says the average price for a ticket to a show during Taylor Swift's Reputation tour was $279. StubHub average prices for 2018 runs by Pearl Jam ($318), Elton John ($286), Andrea Bocelli ($279) and the Eagles ($259).

Hobbies aren't free.

• Options

No we don't.

It costs around $200 a year to play Final Fantasy XIV or WoW, you just pay it in monthly installments and $40 expansions. Plus more if you want special costumes, mounts, dyes.

Not just does it cost a sub to play those games, but you still don't get high end gear for free/instantly. You still have to spend the time grinding to get them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    #2 will take FOREVER....there's a million millions in a billion.....more so since the comic book guys want 50% MORE.
    1 billion = 1,000 million. Not one million million.

Blonde moment there, I realized when I hit post, and was like "D'oh!"
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User

OK ... I see one problem with buying it on the exchange - This only happens if enough people win the ship and want to put it on the exchange. If people don't want to put it on the exchange then you can have all the EC in the world, it won't matter if there are no ships for sale...
    Now up to this point there have been ships put on the exchange, but at some point this may change, people may decide not to use there time or money to get these very hard to win ships, or keep them instead of selling them so you will not be able to get the on the exchange.

I think it stinks that it is so hard to get the most iconic ship in history in a Star Trek game.

Just my 2¢
  • Options
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    OK ... I see one problem with buying it on the exchange - This only happens if enough people win the ship and want to put it on the exchange. If people don't want to put it on the exchange then you can have all the EC in the world, it won't matter if there are no ships for sale...
    Now up to this point there have been ships put on the exchange, but at some point this may change, people may decide not to use there time or money to get these very hard to win ships, or keep them instead of selling them so you will not be able to get the on the exchange.

I think it stinks that it is so hard to get the most iconic ship in history in a Star Trek game.

Just my 2¢

Lobi comes from boxes/packs. That means people will always open boxes/packs to get lobi, and for a great many who get "lucky" and win a ship they would prefer to have 1bil EC (to buy other things they want) than keep the ship. It's a never ending cycle and will never stop as long as there is a lobi store.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I wanted it, and if it was C-Store I would probably buy it no matter what, but they completely lost me with the miracle worker seating + promo 1-2 punch. If it was Intel I might be weighing my options for obtaining it, but as it is I'll just open a few boxes with my lifetime stipend and if I get lucky I'll probably get the Ent-J instead.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Just my 2¢

I've been able to buy ships on the exchange for the last 4+ years. Ships actually got cheaper once the infinity lock box was added and later reward choices for the packs.

"Someday things might change" has nothing to do with the way things are now. Right now you can buy ships on the exchange, and there is no reason to expect that to change any time soon.

I understand that you only want to pay $30 for the most iconic ships in the game, but STO is free to play, and that means lock boxes and packs to make up for the $180 a year you are not paying PWE in subscription fees, and the $40 you aren't paying for expansion.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Just my 2¢
    Realistically there will be availability of these ships on the exchange. Sometimes not right away. Sometimes not within the first day. But as always things will settle down after the most impatient buyers "buy their's" and you'll see a normal supply/demand relationship on the exchange.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    The game is free, and it is a non-essential item.

Considering that you can play the game and all it's content for absolutely nothing, and the fact they give away free ships and other items quite often, I am gobsmacked anyone would complain that they have to make money somehow via methods such as this.

If you cannot afford a vanity item, well that's tough luck, but Cryptic has to make money somehow, don't you agree?

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Oh goodie.. it's that time again!!

All these players no one has ever heard of with less then 30 posts.. that have 'been here since launch' complaining that the ship is an R&D Promo which everyone who's played more then 6 months already knew.

This is always a fun time!! :lol:

I see no problem with it at all.

I personally agree that it's too much money for a 'fake ship' so I am simply not going to spend the money. If the choice and the price are clear up front, it's fair. It's your decision rather or not the deal is acceptable.. if enough people decide that it's not acceptable, then the price gets lowered.

As long as people pay, it won't change. I may not like it.. but I get it. Luckily, no one has a disruptor to my head forcing me to participate. I am perfectly happy with my Gagarin that I paid nothing for.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited June 2019

$270 is literately pocket change to some people - to others it is a fortune. As I said in another post, Cryptic supplies the game in its entirety for the grand sum of $0.00 - the salary of staff, upkeep of equipment, day-to-day overheads, all have to be paid for somehow.

Some people have expendable income and are happy to buy vanity items such as this, which means people who do not have so much money, can continue to enjoy the game for free.
  • Options
    Since the same conversation seems to be happening in multiple threads, I'll just copy/paste:

Ok, so just my opinion. I don't "like" the connie being in the box. I understand it, I have come to accept it, and I actually have 3 (2 TLCs, 1 Kelvin) and am about to have the discoprise. So I have what I want. But yes, I also understand how "it sucks" for people new to the game who don't have an army of alts for grinding. Those people aren't wrong to feel that way, and they aren't wrong to feel turned off. It's not a great situation, but it's one I've learned to "deal with". But if someone else isn't ok with it, that's ok too.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    True, there are multiple threads already discussing this. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.