test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gamble for Desire: The Disco-Connie Fiasco!

So we're finally getting the Disco-Connie and where is it? A Research and Development Pack. And even then, it's a "chance" to get it. Meaning, even if I put down $100 in R&D Packs I still might not get it! This practice is shameful in general, but to place something that's so desired in such a position... And it's not just me looking forward to this thing. I've heard many a fan, who don't even like Discovery, looking forward to this thing.

I'm not one to complain about micro-transactions. I see their value in a free-to-play system. But having an over-priced ship in the C-Store is one thing, and giving people a glorified slot machine for a chance to win... That's something else. This isn't just a post complaining though. This is an actual call to arms. Who else isn't happy with this decision? Who else wants Cryptic to Re-Consider this action? Or, am I alone? Am I full of it? Or did I miss something? Please, join the conversation.

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    1) earn dil

2) trade for zen

3) use zen to buy lock box keys or R&D promo packs

4) sell those items on the exchange for EC

5) use that EC to buy the ship you want on the exchange

You can get any lock box ship you want without gambling or spending any of your own RL money.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Were you around when the T6 Constitution & D7 were first put out? It was like that, and there were plenty of guys that wanted them. Some of the guys have forgotten the struggle it took to get an endgame Constitution-class into STO. YEARS of efforts. Only to see it come via promo packs. They went for crazy amount of EC also.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • profwho86profwho86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Were you around when the T6 Constitution & D7 were first put out? It was like that, and there were plenty of guys that wanted them. Some of the guys have forgotten the struggle it took to get an endgame Constitution-class into STO. YEARS of efforts. Only to see it come via promo packs. They went for crazy amount of EC also.

Yeah, I recall.
    1) earn dil

2) trade for zen

3) use zen to buy lock box keys or R&D promo packs

4) sell those items on the exchange for EC

5) use that EC to buy the ship you want on the exchange

You can get any lock box ship you want without gambling or spending any of your own RL money.

I really don't want to grind. Still, I am grateful there is an alternative way to get it. I have a family though, I simply don't have time to play the game that much.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    How about no?

I'd rather have lock box and pack ships than pay $15 a month + $40 per expansion like with Final Fantasy XIV and WoW.

I don't own any pack ships, but I do own many lock box ships that I've bought from the exchange for credits, no gambling required.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    profwho86 wrote: »
    So we're finally getting the Disco-Connie and where is it? A Research and Development Pack. And even then, it's a "chance" to get it. Meaning, even if I put down $100 in R&D Packs I still might not get it! This practice is shameful in general, but to place something that's so desired in such a position... And it's not just me looking forward to this thing. I've heard many a fan, who don't even like Discovery, looking forward to this thing.

I'm not one to complain about micro-transactions. I see their value in a free-to-play system. But having an over-priced ship in the C-Store is one thing, and giving people a glorified slot machine for a chance to win... That's something else. This isn't just a post complaining though. This is an actual call to arms. Who else isn't happy with this decision? Who else wants Cryptic to Re-Consider this action? Or, am I alone? Am I full of it? Or did I miss something? Please, join the conversation.

Were you expecting anything different? You must be new around here. *Looks at your number of posts*

Were you expecting anything different? You must be new around here. *Looks at your number of posts*

I wasn't really that surprised. Just annoyed. And I've been playing since launch, but am rarely on here and this a second account. That being said, I've always had an issue with this practice.
    How about no?

I'd rather have lock box and pack ships than pay $15 a month + $40 per expansion like with Final Fantasy XIV and WoW.

I don't own any pack ships, but I do own many lock box ships that I've bought from the exchange for credits, no gambling required.

I just don't like the grind. I don't have the time.
    > @profwho86 said:I really don't want to grind. Still, I am grateful there is an alternative way to get it. I have a family though, I simply don't have time to play the game that much.

You have several choices:

1) do the method I described above (with the grinding). It's FREE, but it involves a lot of time.

2) do the method I described above, except instead of grinding dil to trade for zen you BUY the zen with your RL money. It's going to be expensive, but you get your stuff instantly (saves all that time) and still involves no gambling on your end since you are buying the ship on the exchange.

3) open boxes and probably get nothing (worst option)

If you want to get the ship you get to pick the option that works best for you and your life.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

What struggle. All it took for the endgame Conni and D7 was for Cryptic to ring up CBS and say 'please' every couple of months until they said 'yes'.

There was no 'struggle' any anybody's part from amongst the players because there was nothing to struggle for. It was going to happen when and how CBS said, not when X amount of players begged for it.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    > @profwho86 said:I really don't want to grind. Still, I am grateful there is an alternative way to get it. I have a family though, I simply don't have time to play the game that much.

1) do the method I described above (with the grinding). It's FREE, but it involves a lot of time.

2) do the method I described above, except instead of grinding dil to trade for zen you BUY the zen with your RL money. It's going to be expensive, but you get your stuff instantly (saves all that time) and still involves no gambling on your end since you are buying the ship on the exchange.

If you want to get the ship you get to pick the option that works best for you and your life.

Those are all good points I didn't consider. Thank you, this is why I brought it up here. I thought I might have missed something.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    1)You can get any lock box ship you want without gambling or spending any of your own RL money.
    Exactly. There's enough ways to do this. In addition to what you said, you can also use your EC to flip items for profit. Make sure you're focusing on admiralty not just for dil but also for EC. R&D can still give you some profit here and there and don't forget to sell your drops.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

Those are all good points I didn't consider. Thank you, this is why I brought it up here. I thought I might have missed something.

I hope everyone will please take note of this post. This is proof a reasonable person can have a change of view on the internet.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    buy 300 keys and sell em on the market its just about 375€ for a ship so where is the problem ? .........
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    srbin666 wrote: »
    buy 300 keys and sell em on the market its just about 375€ for a ship so where is the problem ? .........

Having 375€ to spend
    edited June 2019

You typically get more EC for your dollar selling promo packs instead of keys. Having said that, here is a breakdown of cost for the OP if you are considering buying zen to convert to EC to buy the ship on the exchange.

Let's say you are a PC player and this ship is going to sell for 1.5 bil EC (probably less over time, but let's just use the exchange cap as a basis for what follows). How much RL money is this going to cost you to get the amount of EC you need?

Well, promo packs(which you will be selling for EC) typically sell for around 14mil. Lets use 14 for the sake of conversation. 1.5bil / 14mil = 107 and some change, so let's round to 108. That means you will need to sell 108 promo packs to get 1.5bil EC. So the question is how much RL money will it cost you to buy 108 promo packs?

On Thursday they will be on sale. You get 4 packs for 1k zen, and 1k zen = $10. 108 / 4 = 27. 27 x 10 = 270. So for approximately $270 you can buy enough zen to buy 108 promo packs. That said, when you buy zen in bulk you also get a bonus amount, so it might wind up costing you a tad less.

But those are the ballpark figures you are looking at.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

You typically get more EC for your dollar selling promo packs instead of keys. Having said that, here is a breakdown of cost for the OP if you are considering buying zen to convert to EC to buy the ship on the exchange.

Let's say you are a PC player and this ship is going to sell for 1.5 bil EC (probably less over time, but let's just use the exchange cap as a basis for what follows). How much RL money is this going to cost you to get the amount of EC you need?

Well, promo packs(which you will be selling for EC) typically sell for around 14mil. Lets use 14 for the sake of conversation. 1.5bil / 14mil = 107 and some change, so let's round to 108. That means you will need to sell 108 promo packs to get 1.5bil EC. So the question is how much RL money will it cost you to buy 108 promo packs?

On Thursday they will be on sale. You get 4 packs for 1k zen, and 1k zen = $10. 104 / 4 = 26. 26 x 10 = 260. So for approximately $260 you can buy enough zen to buy 104 promo packs. That said, when you buy zen in bulk you also get a bonus amount, so it might wind up costing you a tad less.

Yes, and you can halve that if you have enough dil.. i have a lot, and i'm quite casual, that's goiung to be my way to go.. thou, i'm also very luck from time to time, so i'll try my luck first on some packs (i want the lobi), and then i'll begin to save EC.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

What struggle. All it took for the endgame Conni and D7 was for Cryptic to ring up CBS and say 'please' every couple of months until they said 'yes'.

There was no 'struggle' any anybody's part from amongst the players because there was nothing to struggle for. It was going to happen when and how CBS said, not when X amount of players begged for it.​​

You don't remember of clamoring by the players for an endgame Constitution over the years? So much so that Cryptic made a forum rule to stop asking for it?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

I call it "Comic Book Guy" syndrome, those who sell it for that much EC.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

#2 will take FOREVER....there's a million millions in a billion.....more so since the comic book guys want 50% MORE.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

gonna take a LONG time with any of those options. >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

#2 will take FOREVER....there's a million millions in a billion.....more so since the comic book guys want 50% MORE.

No, number 2 is very quick (just buying the zen). It's number 1 that takes a long time, but certainly not 'forever'. I have an alt army that I spend about 30 mins each day going through and earn me $10-15 per week. So at that rate I could get 2 promo ships a year with no money spent, or if I want something sooner I could kick in a little RL money to make up the difference. The key is to keep the alts going all the time, not just when you want something. That way when something does come around like this Thursday I have 2bil EC in the bank and 20k zen (which I will be converting to even more EC using the promo pack sale).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    For any desirable item, you are going to pay for it, grind for it, or take a gamble and hope to win it. Games don't pay for themselves, so the most desirable items they have to make sure they make a fair bit of payback on.

They could:

- Charge you $150 flat out.
    - Make it a 6 month grind that you need to be VIP for ($200-$300 for VIP).
    - Make it a gamble, which they have.

If you gamble, you are going to get a bunch of other ships, other items, Lobi crystals etc so it's not a complete washout if you don't get the ship.

Along with the other methods people have mentioned above, I would add that I have seen people say "Trading 1 Promo ship pack for 60 R&D Promo packs", or whatever the number they are asking for is. So your other option is look for one of those people, buy X Promo packs, trade them for a ship box, poof done.

Just do your homework in advance and make sure that you are trading for the correct box containing the ship you want for your faction.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

There was no 'struggle' any anybody's part from amongst the players because there was nothing to struggle for. It was going to happen when and how CBS said, not when X amount of players begged for it.

You don't remember of clamoring by the players for an endgame Constitution over the years? So much so that Cryptic made a forum rule to stop asking for it?

I do. What's that got to do with a struggle? It was never players pleading vs. Cryptic's resistance worn down by struggle, it was CBS finally allowing Cryptic to release it in as limited a form as possible.
    There was absolutely no struggle on the part of Cryptic, who are the ones that delivered the product.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    CBS finally allowing Cryptic to release it in as limited a form as possible.

CBS finally allowed it, yes. However, I don't think they dictated "it must be rare". Why? Well, they used to say that ships from different eras should be rare in STO. But now they sell both TOS and Disco era ships in the C-store. So clearly they aren't concerned about ships from different era's being rare anymore.

No, I think they have pretty clear market research that shows that lock boxes generate more revenue that standard store sales and they are simply using the method that will generate the most revenue.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    censored
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    1 billion = 1,000 million. Not one million million.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User

On Thursday they will be on sale. You get 4 packs for 1k zen, and 1k zen = $10. 108 / 4 = 27. 27 x 10 = 270. So for approximately $270 you can buy enough zen to buy 108 promo packs. That said, when you buy zen in bulk you also get a bonus amount, so it might wind up costing you a tad less.

And no one sees a problem with this?
    $270 for a digital ship that goes away the second this game ends...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.