test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online - Origin of Discovery

thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
To say I dislike Discovery would be an understatement. The glaringly obvious discrepancies that show creates with every episode makes it extremely hard to believe it connects to TOS in any way whatsoever. I do however like puzzles and decided for a mental exercise I would attempt to make the Discovery series somehow coexist with classic Star Trek. In doing so I came up with this. A breakdown of the timeline is listed at the end of the short story. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.deviantart.com/nihilus-shadow/art/Star-Trek-Online-Origin-of-Discovery-801916694

"Priority alert! This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill! Level twelve temporal breach detected!"

Level twelve? Damn. Agent Daniels mind raced as he made his way to New Khitomer's command center, pushing his way through the panicked Union officers scrambling to get to their stations. From Daniels' point of view it had only been three days since the end of the Temporal War and he was happy to have the time off, but they say time waits for no man and that's doubly so for temporal agents. Daniels reached central command and found things just as chaotic here as he approached K'Tal, an old burly Klingon and Union commander in charge of New Khitomer.

"What have we got?" Daniels asked. A holographic image detailing thousands of quantum realities monitored by New Khitomer appeared in the center of the room. With a wave of his hand, K'Tal selected an area of the Prime Timeline and highlighted the mid 22nd century in red.

"There has been a level twelve time breach somewhere around the 2160s. We're trying to pinpoint the exact time now." said K'Tal.

Daniels walked around the display as various images appeared detailing major historical events in that century. The Xindi Conflict, Earth-Romulan War and the signing of the United Federation of Planets appeared exactly as they should. He would know since he personally spent a great deal of time making sure those events unfolded exactly as they should. The thought of all that being unraveled just when he was starting to relax unnerved him.

"Everything is looking good so far," Daniels said as he accessed historical reports. He sifted through file after file, but his heart sank when he discovered a file he knew didn't belong. "Damn." he muttered. A new file he knew hadn't been there before was now accessible and he brought it up for everyone to see.

K'Tal's jaw dropped when he read what appeared. "It would seem the Klingon Empire has unexpectedly attacked the fledgling United Federation of Planets." he said tapping the time stamp and bringing the event up on the timeline. "The Massacre of Beta Rigel. There should be no such attack here."

Daniels observed the holographic recreation of the battle. A Klingon fleet arrived at Beta Rigel on Saturday, April 9th, 2168 and proceeded to plasma bomb the planet with no warning. Planetary defenses stood no chance against the attacking ships and a task force led by the USS Challenger NX-03 would arrive two days later to find the colony in ruin. The Federation ships fought valiantly, but were outnumbered by the Klingons. "Do we have any idea what instigated the attack?" Daniels asked.

"No," K'Tal rubbed his eyes before continuing. "Since the end of the War the 22nd century has been mostly quiet. Whoever did this must have access to stealth travel." Daniels continued to watch as Disruptor fire sliced through the Challenger's shields and carved into her secondary hull, tearing it away from the saucer.

"Just when you thought you've gotten them all, more pop up like weeds." he said moments before the familiar sound of a temporal transponder's distress beacon began transmitting from the Challenger. A young Kobali Ensign from communications spoke up.

"Commander K'Tal, I'm detecting a distress signal from one of our agents in the field." K'Tal walked over to the Ensign's station and looked over the signal.

"Do we have agents operating in this century?" he asked.

"No sir," the Ensign explained. "The transponder is definitely one of ours, but no agents are currently assigned to this century."

"Then who does it belong to?" K'Tal demanded. Daniels didn't take his eyes off the signal echoing from the Challenger.

"It's mine," he said. "That's my transponder code." The Ensign scanned the location around the battle and shook his head.

"I'm not picking up your biosignature." he said confused.

"It's possible I was vaporized," started Daniels. K'Tal raised an eyebrow as Daniels met his gaze. "It wouldn't be the first time."

"Then you should go find out." K'Tal ordered. Daniels activated a holographic display on his jumpsuit's left sleeve and downloaded the necessary information from New Khitomer's computers. His suit automatically adjusted to provide him with a protective helmet and gloves to shield him from the hazardous environment. A tactical display appeared on his visor as he made his way to the transporter pad.

"How close can you get me to that signal?" He asked. A Ferengi Lieutenant at ops studied the scans of the Challenger.

"The signal is coming from E Deck," she explained. "The whole deck is flooded with radiation which is wreaking havoc on my targeting scanners. It doesn't help that it's an alternate quantum reality still in the early stages of forming."

When an alternate reality is formed it creates ripples of temporal energy through the fabric of spacetime. Most of the time the alternate reality solidifies into it's own parallel reality coexisting side by side the original timeline from which it spawned. In some less fortunate instances the alternate reality can overlap the original, overwriting historical events and effectively erase it from existence. So far Daniels and the crew of New Khitomer haven't been wiped clean from the universe which relieved Daniels. This meant the new reality could possibly coexist with their own, but if their calculations weren't precise Daniels' passage through time could alter reality just enough to completely erase his own universe. Daniels stepped onto the pad.

"Set me down as close as you can. I can make my way on foot." he said. The Lieutenant quickly tapped coordinates into the computer.

"I can set you down on G Deck." She said looking up from her console. "Plasma conduits have ruptured all over the ship. Be careful down there."

Daniels nodded. "Let's do it."

The Lieutenant looked to the Commander who nodded and she engaged the transporter. For a few tense moments Daniels is de-materialized and his atoms transported across 900 years of time and almost 80,000 light-years of space until he re-materialized in the burning corridor of an NX-class starship. It wasn't the first time he'd been on an NX-class vessel as he'd actually served aboard the Enterprise NX-01 for a time until he was forced to reveal who he really was to Captain Archer. He actually missed his time aboard Enterprise.

"Come in New Khitomer," Daniels spoke into his helmet. "Are you still with me?" he asked. For a moment there was silence and Daniels started to get a little worried. Then the familiar voice of Command K'Tal came through his helmet's speakers.

"We read you Daniels. Things are all good here."

"I wish I could say the same." Daniels proceeded down the corridor and his suit's sensors automatically scanned several bodies and displayed their biosigns on his HUD. All dead. He stepped over them carefully and made his way to a Jefferies tube so he could climb to the next deck. At the base of the tube lay an Andorian and the officer's records appeared on the HUD for Daniels to see.

"Commander Toles, the Challenger's first officer. Should have gone on to command the USS Atlantis NX-05 next year." Next to the Commander's body face down was a male humanoid wearing the familiar garb of a 22nd century Klingon Warrior, but as his sensors scanned the corpse he discovered something peculiar. "Are you seeing this Command?" he asked.

"We do, but we're not sure what to make of it." responded K'Tal. Daniels reached for the body starting to turn it over and what he saw was shocking.

"What the hell?" he muttered. The armor worn by the humanoid was definitely period correct Klingon armor, but whoever was wearing it was like no Klingon Daniels had ever seen before. The figure was hairless and it's skull was elongated. As Daniels turned the body over some more he could see it lacked ears and featured holes similar to those found on the skulls of most saurian species, but his sensors confirmed the figure was mammalian. He turned the body completely over onto it's back and stared into it's lifeless face. The figure's skin was a dark blue and appeared rubbery. His forehead ridges stretched down the bridge of his nose which was flat and wide. The ridges were thick around it and concealed four nostrils.

Blood dripped from the figure's mouth and Daniels' suit took a scan. The DNA lacked any trace of the Augment Virus a large majority of Klingons would have in this half of the century. A few years ago the Klingons had experimented with augmented human DNA left over from Earth's Eugenics Wars of the 20th century. The Klingons feared modern humans were experimenting with physical augmentations which would give them an edge over the Klingon's own forces. Stealing samples of augment DNA the Klingons successfully created their own super soldiers, but the genetic modifications gave the Klingons a human like appearance.

Unfortunately the neural pathways of the augmented Klingons would degrade, killing the subject. Matters were made even worse when the augment virus used to modify the Klingons mutated with a strain of Levodian flu and spread through the Empire. Several colonies were infected and with the reluctant help of a kidnapped Doctor Phlox, they were able to find a cure for the virus. The Klingons wouldn't get their augmented soldiers, but they would no longer die. The side effect of the virus however meant that billions of Klingons lost their distinctive Klingon look and now looked more like a human being. Generations of Klingons would be born this way over the next century and eventually dominate the Empire.

"What in the name of Kahless is that?" a distraught K'Tal asked.

"It has traces of Klingon DNA," Daniels explained. "But it's been heavily modified. I'm not detecting any signs of the augment virus."

"We're running the sample through the database now. Maybe we can match it with a historical sample." Daniels stood and started his climb to E Deck. As he made his climb Commander K'Tal returned to coms. "Well that was unexpected." he said.

"You found something already?" asked Daniels.

"This Klingon, if you can call him that now, shares most of his DNA with Klindarians."

Daniels stopped climbing for a moment. "Klindarian? I'm not familiar with that species."

"Unless you've studied ancient Klingon history you wouldn't be." K'Tal explained.

"Enlighten me."

"Klindarians are a genetic cousin of modern day Klingons. They went extinct on Qo'noS some 40,000 years ago."

Daniels continued his climb and carefully stepped onto E Deck. "Are you telling me that thing is some kind of Klingon neanderthal?" Daniels carefully stepped over more bodies of fallen Starfleet officers as he made his way to engineering. K'Tal continued.

"Something like that. Most Klingons share about 3% of their DNA with Klindarians, but it's as if this warrior's Klindarian DNA has been hyper-stimulated. He's practically been mutated into one!"

"Who would do such a thing?"

"Proposals for purging the augment DNA were considered in the early days of the epidemic, but nothing was ever attempted for fear of making things worse."

"Someone must have convinced these Klingons to go through with it." Daniels reached engineering and found the doors sealed shut. His suit did most of the work, but with a little effort he was able to pull them open. "I'm in." he said stepping inside. The damage was far worse than he suspected. Decks C and B had been completely sheared off and there was only open space above the warp reactor. Automatically adjusting to the lack of gravity, Daniels carefully made his way towards the signal.

Had the temporal agent, possibly an alternate universe version of himself from another timeline, been blown out into space that would explain why his biosignature hadn't been detected. The transponder may have magnetically sealed itself to the deck or bulkhead. The signal grew stronger as he made his way towards the gaping hole in engineering's aft section. Daniels approached a sheet of debris pinning what appeared to be a humanoid figure against what was left of the bulkhead. Reaching down and tugging at the debris, he removed the metal plating and let it float away when he saw who was underneath.

"Oh my god..." he said taking a step back.

"Who is it?" K'Tal demanded. Appearing on Daniels' HUD was the image and file of Charles Tucker the third. The same man who lay dead on the floor before him, encased in a temporal jumpsuit much like his own.

"It's Commander Tucker, chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise. He's supposed to be dead!"

"He looks dead to me." joked K'Tal.

Daniels wasn't amused. "You don't understand. He died in 2161, just before the signing of the Coalition of Planets."

"Well he's wearing one of our suits and he has your transponder code. Perhaps in another reality you went back and recruited him at the time of his death."

"Maybe, but he was never on a list of potential candidates."

"Yeah, well the Klingons had never massacred Beta Rigel either."

That was a good point. Daniels found the transponder held tightly in Tucker's hand. He stared into Tucker's lifeless eyes as he pulled the transponder from his hand and then he tapped the side of Tucker's helmet. The visor went opaque concealing the dead man's face. Daniels stood and his suit connected with the transponder in his palm and accessed a message recorded by Tucker before his death.

"This is temporal agent Charles Tucker the third... or the last. Some temporal agent I turned out to be. This was my third attempt at finding General K'Vagh before he released the Suliban's mutigenic virus into the Klingon Empire. Whomever is helping him is clearly aware of our movements. Every time we think we've found him he's secretly moved to another location. They're slippery TRIBBLE."

Daniels accessed more files and read through Tucker's reports. General K'Vagh was head of the project attempting to create Klingon Augments on Qu'Vat colony in 2154. After the disaster K'Vagh was removed in disgrace and forced into retirement. Historical records indicate he would be killed by his brother as part of the Mauk-to'Vor ceremony and he would restore his honor in death.

Apparently the Suliban altered history and gave the General other ideas. Daniels continued reading through the files. Sometime in this alternate reality, date unknown, K'Vagh would be approached by Federation representatives lead by Doctor Phlox. They claimed to have found a cure for the Augment virus and K'Vagh would spend several years studying this cure until he was sure it would work. After several trials he would conclude that it would work and the cure would make it's way through the Empire. At first it appeared to be a success and for a few years the Klingon's appearance would be restored, but then things would take a turn for the worse.

"Are you reading this?" Daniels asked.

"I am," replied K'Tal. "So the Suliban tricked General K'Vagh into unleashing another virus into the Empire and the Federation was to blame? Poor old fool."

"He just wanted to make things right. I can't say I blame him."

"What is it your people say? 'The pathway to the underworld is paved with good intentions'. The general best served the Empire in death." Commander Tucker's log continues.

"I've been tracking the whereabouts of Doctor Antaak, the lead scientist under the general's command on Qu'Vat. A number of contacts have suggested that Antaak was present when K'Vagh met with the Starfleet imposters. If we can find Antaak, we can get the location and time of this meeting."

"We know the Suliban are responsible for this," K'Tal said. "But do we have any idea why they did this? The Suliban work for the Benefactor, but for some reason he actively worked to preserve the Federation. Why start a war which could destroy them?"

Daniels thought about that for a moment. It was a very good point. The mysterious benefactor from the 28th century had attempted to destabilize the Klingon Empire before, but whenever the future of the Federation was in jeopardy he would order his agents to prevent any harm from coming to it. He had even gone so far as to speak with Captain Archer directly and warned him about the coming Xindi threat just a decade earlier.

"You're tracking this timeline?" Daniels asked.

"Of course." K'Tal replied.

"Scan further ahead. What is the outcome of this conflict?"

"Standby." Daniels stared out into space and watched as the Klingon vessels began warping out of the system. Only the broken hulks of Federation ships remained scattered across the stars. "The Klingons are on their way to Deneva." K'Tal continued. "This time Commodore Archer is going to be ready for them."

"Federation victory?" Daniels asked.

"Affirmative. The attacks into Federation space were not officially sanctioned by the High Council, which at this point is fracturing due to infighting. When the Klingon fleet is defeated at Deneva, further attacks are ceased and the Empire closes it's borders."

"So the conflict is short lived. What of the Federation?"

"The unexpected attack spooked the fledgling Federation. Member worlds began second guessing their decision to join. In response to accusations that the Federation wasn't strong enough to defend itself, Starfleet reinstalled Article 14, Section 31 of the Starfleet Charter."

"Of course they did." Daniels said shaking his head. Article 14, Section 31 was a pre-Federation Starfleet article allowing Starfleet officers to bend and sometimes break the rules during times of extraordinary crisis. In the Prime Timeline when the Starfleet charter was redrafted for the newly formed United Federation of Planets, Captain Archer had personally overseen the removal of the article. Section 31 in the Prime Timeline would only exist in secret, run by a small cadre of zealous Starfleet officers who refused to let go of the past.

"This time next year," K'Tal continued. "Starfleet Intelligence would make Section 31 an officially recognized branch. Over the next century they would develop new technologies designed to strengthen Starfleet's military capabilities."

"That's it," Daniels said. "This attack not only destabilizes the Klingon command structure, but it also scares the Federation into becoming a stronger military power."

"It didn't prevent the Klingons from attacking in 2256. A Klingon tyrant by the name of T'Kuvma rallies the Klingon Houses against the Federation, which nearly results in it's destruction."

"Nearly? What stops them?"

"Section 31 attempted to destroy Qo'noS with a weapon of mass destruction, but a Starfleet officer stopped them from using it. Instead she gave the weapon to a Klingon woman, L'Rell, and told her she could use it to unite the Klingon Houses under her leadership. L'Rell agreed and spared the Federation."

"The Klingons allied with her without opposition?" Daniels was surprised. "Not a single Klingon called her bluff?"

"Some did. Section 31 would attempt to suppress opposition, but their involvement would eventually be discovered. Klingon Houses would turn against her in 2258, dragging the Empire into a civil war."

"So the Benefactor is playing a long term game. The Klingon attack in 2168 shifts the Federation's priorities from primarily exploration to that of a military power. Section 31's influence would destabilize the Empire and ensure the Federation's dominance in the Alpha and Beta Quadrant for centuries to come."

"It would appear so and that's not the worst part."

"How could it get any worse than that?"

"We just did another temporal scan. If we don't find out where and when this divergence occurred, this quantum reality will erase our own reality from existence."

Daniels knees nearly buckled from the news, but he quickly composed himself. It wasn't the first time an alternate reality was close to erasing the Prime Timeline from existence. The Na'kul would nearly erase the timeline on Earth in 1945. Luckily Captain Archer was able to stop them and restore order to the Prime Timeline. If only that peace could have lasted a little longer.

"This is an Omega level threat," Daniels said. "I can't return to your time now."

"Acknowledged." Said "K'Tal. "However we could redirect a temporal agent to assist you."

"Who is available?"

"An agent from the 25th century is available. I believe you've worked with them before." Daniels smiled when he thought about the number of agents working in that century. He knew exactly who K'Tal was talking about.

"Has their time been effected by the temporal divergence yet?" Daniels asked.

"Negative, I think." K'Tal said with uncertainty.

"Explain."

"We're detecting multiple temporal anomalies throughout the alternate 23rd century. Apparently some of those alternate Klingons from 2256 have been tossed into the 25th century, but they're in our 25th century." Daniels sighed with relief.

"Then all isn't lost yet. There is still a chance we can save both our realities."

"We could save both realities, but the Klingons of that other reality would still collapse."

"One problem at a time. I won't be able to travel to the 25th century so you'll have to open a portal and bring our agent to me."

"And where will you be?"

Daniels looked down at Tucker's body. "I'm going to 2161. I have another agent to recruit."

Comments

• thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    How I see the Star Trek Discovery Timeline. I am still working on the events as they happened in the Prime Timeline. I'm saving that for a sequel story.

2151: Under orders of a mysterious benefactor from the 28th century, the Suliban Cabal secretly attempt to ignite a civil war between various Klingon Houses which would tear the Klingon Empire apart. With the help of the Earth Starfleet vessel Enterprise NX-01, the Suliban deception is exposed and the Klingon civil war is averted.

Despite this setback, the benefactor's desire to destabilize the Klingon Empire would not falter.

2154: After encountering augmented humans left over from Earth's Eugenics Wars, the Klingons believe augmented humans are a threat to their Empire. Collecting augment DNA, Klingon scientists would attempt to create their own augmented warriors. The experiments appeared successful for a time, but the incompatible DNA would eventually cause neural system break down resulting in a painful death. Matters were made worse when the virus merged with a strand of Levodian flu and spread throughout the Empire infecting billions.

With the reluctant help of a kidnapped doctor Phlox, Klingon scientists at Qu'Vat colony were able to create a cure for the mutated virus. The Klingons wouldn't get their augmented soldiers, but they would no longer die horribly from neurological decay. Unfortunately this left billions of Klingons with a disfigurement which altered their appearance making them appear more like a human.

2161: History records Commander Charles Tucker III death aboard the Enterprise NX-01, but he is secretly recruited to be a temporal agent. Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites unite after the end of the Earth-Romulan War to form the United Federation of Planets.

2164: Suliban Cabal disguised as Federation doctors would secretly meet with Klingon representatives in the Loracus system. The disguised Suliban would use stolen Romulan holographic technology to also disguise their vessels as Federation starships. Claiming to be representatives of the Federation, the Suliban would present the Klingons with a cure for the augment virus. The Klingons would take the cure and after a few successful experiments they would begin administering the cure throughout the Empire.

Sometime in the 28th century a species of extradimensional fungus called Prototaxites stellaviatori is discovered in a pocket of subspace Starfleet researchers dub the "mycelial network". During his attempts to develop a form of time travel unable to be detected by the Galactic Union, the benefactor successfully transports a sample of this mycelial spore to the Suliban Cabal in 2164. After their successful operation to trick the Klingon Empire, the Suliban ditch the mycelial spore on Loracus Prime. The spore takes root and connects to the mycelial network in subspace.

2168: The cure given to the Klingons was sadly a fake and actually hyper-stimulated ancient DNA belonging to a long extinct genetic cousin of modern Klingons. This eventually mutated the Klingons even further, very nearly devolving them into an ancient form of Klingon. After four years of administering the cure across hundreds of worlds throughout the Empire, billions of Klingons were now completely mutated even further than they were before.

This enraged the Empire who saw this as a deliberate Federation deception. A fleet of Klingon warships would attack and destroy a Federation colony at Beta Rigel before being intercepted by a Federation task force led by the USS Challenger NX-03. This task force would be destroyed however and it would be Commodore Jonathan Archer who personally pulled the USS Enterprise NX-01 out of mothballs and formed a task force which would defeat the Klingons at Deneva.

This defeat would force the Klingons back to their space where they would become isolationists. Over the next 100 years the Federation would only encounter the Klingons sporadically a handful of times. Unaware of the Suliban Cabal's deception, the Federation believed the Klingon's attack was unprovoked. Fearing the Starfleet was unprepared for any future attacks by the Klingons, it was believed that more drastic action was necessary to safeguard the Federation. Despite protests from Commodore Archer Starfleet would reinstate Article 14, Section 31 of the Starfleet Charter, which Archer had successfully lobbied to have removed when the Federation formed in 2161.

The Klingons weren't the only civilization to close it's boarders and retreat from Federation expansion. The Romulan Star Empire had retreated to their space after their disastrous defeat during the Earth-Romulan War. Seeing as they had a common enemy, the Klingons and Romulans secretly worked together to develop strategies to combat the Federation. This alliance would eventually lead to the development of a next generation Cloaking Device, which the Klingons would successfully use against the Federation in 2256.

2169: Starfleet Intelligence would spawn a new agency code named Section 31, which prioritizes militaristic advancement of the Starfleet. While the Federation would still primarily focus on peaceful exploration, Section 31 would spend the next several decades developing a significant military force, including experimenting with a new threat assessment system they called "Control".

2230: Section 31 operative Gabrielle Burnham is a member working on the Daedalus Project. It was believed that the Klingons of the time were experimenting with time travel and Section 31 developed the Daedalus Project as a counter to their program. In 2230 Gabrielle Burnham was thought killed in a Klingon raid on Doctari Alpha, when in reality she had activated a temporal device she had developed and traveled to the 32nd century. Her husband was killed in the attack and her surviving daughter Michael was adopted by Vulcan Ambassador Sarek. Michael Burnham would grow up believing her mother had been killed by Klingons with her father.

2245: After successfully developing the duotronic computer in 2243, Doctor Richard Daystrom attempted to outdo himself and began developing the multitronic computer system in 2245. Daystrom's project would be co-opted with Section 31 who would use his M-2 Unit as a basis to update their Control assessment system.

2250: Astromycologists Paul Stamets and Justin Straal discover the flourishing mycelial spores on Loracus Prime. Researching the spores, Stamets and Straal encounter the mycelial network and postulate that it could be accessed and theoretically allow a starship to traverse the network. This could potentially allow a ship to enter the mycelial plane in subspace and exit thousands or tens of thousands of light-years away from where it entered. The two begin developing a new type of propulsion system based on this network, which they dub the "Spore Drive".

2256: The Federation and Klingon Empire make contact once again, an encounter which results in the Battle of the Binary Stars. After the mutation incident of 2168, the Great Houses within the Empire had returned to their petty squabbles. A Klingon extremist by the name of T'Kuvma had attempted to unite the Houses and turn their attention to the Federation whom he believed should be destroyed for what they supposedly did to their species.

When Captain Philippa Georgiou and Commander Michael Burnham board T'Kuvma's flagship in an attempt to capture him and stop a war, Georgiou is killed by T'Kuvma and an enraged Michael Burnham kills T'Kuvma in retaliation. T'Kuvma then becomes a martyr and the Klingon Empire drags the Federation into war.

2257: The USS Discovery NCC-1031 is able to use it's experimental Spore Drive to bypass Klingon defenses at Qo'noS and a group of Starfleet Officers attempt to destroy the Klingon homeworld with a weapon of mass destruction. This plan is abandoned by Starfleet Officer Michael Burnham who gives the weapon to a Klingon woman by the name of L'Rell. Burnham tells L'Rell that she could use the weapon to force the Klingon Houses into unifying under her leadership. L'Rell agrees and uses the device to force the Empire under her control. Her first act as Chancellor is to call an end to hostilities with the Federation ending the war.

In the 32nd century, Gabrielle Burnham discovers that Section 31's Control program had evolved into a fully functional artificial intelligence and had eradicated all life in the Milky Way galaxy. Gabrielle would attempt to travel back in time to warn the Federation, but she found herself jumping backwards randomly. Somehow she was still anchored to the 32nd century and could not return to the past for more than a few brief moments. Eventually the Federation would become aware of mysterious red bursts spread throughout the galaxy and in 2257, Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 would take command of the USS Discovery and investigate reports of the "Red Angel" which is somehow connected to Gabrielle Burnham.

It would be discovered that Section 31's Control program had become self aware due to it's enhancements by Richard Daystrom. In 2257 the USS Discovery would encounter an alien intelligence which would deposit 100,000 years worth of information into it's computer and the Control A.I. would seek out this information so that it could assimilate it and learn how to advance itself beyond it's current level of intelligence. Gabrielle Burnham is trapped in an alternate 32nd century where Control succeeded and evolved to the point it could destroy the galaxy.

In order to save the future and stop Control, the USS Discovery would travel into the 32nd century with the information stored on it's computer. Removing themselves from time would rob the A.I. of the information it sought and prevent it from advancing itself too quickly. Control would seize control of Section 31 drone ships and attempt to destroy the USS Discovery, but with help from the USS Enterprise the Discovery would successfully travel to the future denying Control of it's prize.

2258: It is discovered that the Klingon traitor Voq, who was thought killed by L'Rell, was still alive and working with L'Rell in secret. Voq had been recruited as a Section 31 agent and L'Rell's deception proved she was a Federation puppet working directly with Section 31 spies. This realization destabilized the Empire as the Great Houses turned on L'Rell and each other, resulting in a Klingon Civil War. It had taken almost 100 years, but the mysterious benefactor of the 28th century had successfully accomplish his goals. He had simultaneously destroyed the Klingon Empire and ensured that the Federation would increase it's military power under Section 31's guidance. The Federation was now the dominant military force in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    What a lot off effort. Pointless. Well written but pointless. If anything TOS is the alternate timeline and DSC flows from ENT to TWoK.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I read up to the part where you introduced the Suliban as temporal meddlers...

Your idea that a group of Klingons tried genetic manipulation to reverse the effects of the Augment virus is something that doesn't need to be an alternate timeline.

However, the Suliban didn't use time travel. Their part in the Temporal Cold War was soldiers fighting a proxy battle at the behest of a never named benefactor. This benefactor had altered history to give them weapons and tech that they wouldn't have developed on their own. Apparently he secured their loyalty by saving them from the Na'kuhl, though it's never explained WHY the Na'kuhl wanted the Suliban dead. But it WAS stated that Vosk had attempted to use a temporal incursion to erase their entire species from history.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    To say I dislike Discovery would be an understatement. The glaringly obvious discrepancies that show creates with every episode makes it extremely hard to believe it connects to TOS in any way whatsoever.

Also, this tired point sounds more and more stupid every time it's repeated.

TOS did not have a continuity.
    It was widescaled ignored by TMP (which was a visual reboot), ignored by TNG (retconning many of the dates and organisations as well as the fundamental morality of the series and the 'traits' of many of the major races), VGR (retconning further dates), ENT (essentially everything TOS said about early history and yet more dates and organisations).

TOS ignored TOS all the time. Lithium/Dilithium? Vulcan's moon? Spock having a human mother or ancestor? Constitution Class/Starship Class? UESPA/Starfleet Command?
    And all the in episode stupidity, warpless Class F shuttles that then go to warp, warpless Romulans that then go to warp, Kirk and Spock giving different dates for the Eugenics War?

If you expected DSC to pay any attention to TOS you are delusional and if you think any of the other shows cared about TOS then you're equally delusional.
    If you want to do some creative writing, go for it, just don't use 'lack of continuity' as your excuse for it unless you're prepared to write the same amount of words about Vulcans Moon or why Khan's no longer brown in TWoK.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    To say I dislike Discovery would be an understatement. The glaringly obvious discrepancies that show creates with every episode makes it extremely hard to believe it connects to TOS in any way whatsoever.
    Also, this tired point sounds more and more stupid every time it's repeated.

TOS did not have a continuity.
    It was widescaled ignored by TMP (which was a visual reboot), ignored by TNG (retconning many of the dates and organisations as well as the fundamental morality of the series and the 'traits' of many of the major races), VGR (retconning further dates), ENT (essentially everything TOS said about early history and yet more dates and organisations).

TOS ignored TOS all the time. Lithium/Dilithium? Vulcan's moon? Spock having a human mother or ancestor? Constitution Class/Starship Class? UESPA/Starfleet Command?
    And all the in episode stupidity, warpless Class F shuttles that then go to warp, warpless Romulans that then go to warp, Kirk and Spock giving different dates for the Eugenics War?

If you expected DSC to pay any attention to TOS you are delusional and if you think any of the other shows cared about TOS then you're equally delusional.
    If you want to do some creative writing, go for it, just don't use 'lack of continuity' as your excuse for it unless you're prepared to write the same amount of words about Vulcans Moon or why Khan's no longer brown in TWoK.​​
    I really think that we should put together a list of things in TOS that got retconned out of canon. I've been thinking about it since reading the Ex-astris-Scientia article on why TAS can't be canon(even though it is). Many things in TOS simply can't be canon, not now anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2019
    I really think that we should put together a list of things in TOS that got retconned out of canon. I've been thinking about it since reading the Ex-astris-Scientia article on why TAS can't be canon(even though it is). Many things in TOS simply can't be canon, not now anyways.

TOS and all the things in it are still canon, they have just been retconed out of continuity. It's minor but they aren't the same thing.

I do think that sort of thing would be a good resource but would it include things TOS itself retconned? Would it even matter? To the lazy critics, TOS is holy writ and DSC would still be the only show ever to have ignored previous continuity because they never take a step back and try look at TOS from a distance (substitute any pre-2002 Trek depending on date of birth).​​

#TASforSTO

I read up to the part where you introduced the Suliban as temporal meddlers...

You should read the whole thing.
    Your idea that a group of Klingons tried genetic manipulation to reverse the effects of the Augment virus is something that doesn't need to be an alternate timeline.

Considering how alien the Discovery Klingons look in comparison to TOS/TNG era Klingons, I would disagree.
    However, the Suliban didn't use time travel.

I never said they did. Had you kept reading you would know that I do mention that they work for a mysterious benefactor from the 28th century. The Suliban are responsible for altering the timeline, but they did it by following his orders. Just like they were responsible for altering the timeline when they destroyed Paraagan II under his orders.
    Considering how alien the Discovery Klingons look in comparison to TOS/TNG era Klingons, I would disagree.

Because the TNG Klingons don't also look alien compared to the TOS ones? Lazy criticism of DSC but reiterated.

Also, there's no amount of alternate timeline guff that would explain their look anymore than whatever that explanation happening in the Prime Timeline wouldn't unless it was a divergent timeline from their evolution from whatever proto-Klingons existed.
    LJF3myo.jpg

Wow! Many different, much changed.

#TASforSTO

Because the TNG Klingons don't also look alien compared to the TOS ones?

Context. There is a significant difference between the creator making alterations to his series as he's making it and someone else making more alterations 50 years later. Besides...

Star Trek Enterprise "Affliction"
    Wow! Many different, much changed.

48075424762_36eb0f1521.jpg

Context. There is a significant difference between the creator making alterations to his series as he's making it and someone else making more alterations 50 years later. Besides...

Star Trek Enterprise "Affliction"

Oh look, an explanation for a makeup change that dosn't involve alternate timelines. Who'd have thought?
    48075424762_36eb0f1521.jpg

Oh look, a make up change retconned away in series 2 (on the same character no less) with no alternate timeline explanation needed.

You're not very good at this are you.​​

#TASforSTO

From a lovely PM at 10:15 AM...
    Go TRIBBLE yourself, Drekkie.

How brave of you, reported for harassment.​​

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    From a lovely PM at 10:15 AM...

(...)

How brave of you, reported for harassment.

What, TRIBBLING is considered rude nowadays? pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Obviously we can't play nice here, even when discussing, debating, disagreeing. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.