test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa Event 2019

Comments

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    I would like to know why Risa Summer Event has been getting the shaft, and lack of attention the last couple of years, and seemingly treated as a bland routine hardly worth mention until the week before.

I was grateful with what was offered last year, but the powerboards & floaters seemed simply bigger faster versions. Has no one considered that once you buy a new powerboard or floater, all of your older bowerboards & floaters are useless? Why not make new special Risa equipment upgrades that can improve previous floaters, and powerboards?
    How many new versions are we going to have to clutter bank with before the older versions can be retooled?

And so there can be no night, well why not expand new Risa maps? Couldn't there be a night time to beam to? Late night parties on the night side?

For whatever reason I get the impression Risa is not as important anymore, as if a routine not worth mention or improvement. Just flick on the machine, and well....the same old same complacency routine.

Risa needs MUCH revitalising, and I do not believe I'm the only person thinking it for quite some time.

Neither Risa nor Q's Winter Wonderland had a new activity added last year, so I guess that I see where you're coming from with that. I have to say, though, that with the activities the way that they are now, I'm not very eager to have more added to the mix that will just increase the amount of time between the ones that I like. As long as it remains one activity active at a time, I think that we're more than full.

I went over the whole concept of how they hyped it up better in the "good old days" last year, and the short answer is that they really didn't. At best, I think we got a 10-day lead time on info before it started, with the average being under a week ahead. We're still a good four weeks away from it. so we'll see how much lead time they give it this year. They did fix most of the issues caused by the shift from the day/night cycle to perpetual daytime the first year that it ran under Lighting 2.0, so it's not like they don't do anything about it aside from flipping the switch to start it, either.

As far as new floaters/powerboards just being faster versions of old ones, well, yeah, what else would get you to grind out more Favors to buy the new ones? Perhaps your upgrade idea would work, but it would invariably need to have a similar cost in Favors or time, or everyone would just take that route, and you might as well not even make the new ones. At that point, we would have people arguing here that they were just coasting on their old work and not giving us anything new.

I would love to see some work done on both Risa and Winter Wonderland, but it needs to be meaningful. The 90-minute cycles between activities have to go, first and foremost. It's just too long to wait for the activities that you like to do.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    anodynes wrote: »
    We're still a good four weeks away from it. so we'll see how much lead time they give it this year.

In previous years Risa Summer Event began no later than the third week on june, and as early as the second week of June. Again, I am disappointed. Last year there was the introduction of the Gamma content which made sense, where as this year there's that lull. We know Summer Event is coming, but we're expected not to bother until July.
    So, let's all stand around going:"When is Summer Event?" while waiting, and playing Pahvo Dissession a half a billion more times, which I do love. No joke.
    I've been in Star Trek Online for quite a few years now, and the longer I stay the more I tend to appreciate ground combat in TFOs. (If only Dranuur Beach Assault & Binary Circuit filled everyday I'd be happy)
    I'm starting to feel space combat quite mundane, and repetitive. I still very much have my favorite places in the game like Nimbus, and Kobali Prime.
    I still enjoy much of Star Trek Online, yet after having played the entire catalogue several dozens of times, I find myself more than anxious for the seasonal events such as Winter and Summer.

It is coming, and I know I simply have to be patient as painfully long and drawn out as that feels.
    Thankfully there's Pahvo in meantime.
  • Options
    stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Pleeease add a night map on Risa
  • Options
    cesitar257cesitar257 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    stlhee wrote: »

exactly, not a day-night cycle, several maps, some daytime and others at night

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    If I remember some dev statements correctly that's not so easy, since the game would need them to be two different maps by internal logic (apparently all instances are just carbon copies) so it would not be a common zone. Possibly people will be willing to sacrifice zone chat however, but I wouldn't know whether other things wouldn't be affected as well.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Taco's explanation for all things related to Risa day/night are in the FCT including why they did and didn't do certain things.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    Water guns and water balloons, that's what I want to see this year.
  • Options
    stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    That was about day/night cycle and a real time rendering, wasn't it? I've ment to create a static map or a different Risa planet with night maps with a new entry point/button from Risa-system.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Fear not the Taco, fear the darkness that would conceal the knowledge of the universe. Believe in the truth of all things, and you too may find the Path to en'light'enment.' ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    ltminns wrote: »
    'Fear not the Taco, fear the darkness that would conceal the knowledge of the universe. Believe in the truth of all things, and you too may find the Path to en'light'enment.' ;)

Hail Tacofangs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Risa would be nice with a permanent sunset.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Oooo... Yea... I can see how that would be beautiful. Instead of the constant noontime lighting, have it more evening with the colors in the sky...

That would be pretty awesome, especially for screenshot artists. But alas... probably falls under the reasonings given in the FCT. But... doesn't hurt to imagine it though.

Still gotta give props to Taco and his team.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    cesitar257 wrote: »
    stlhee wrote: »

exactly, not a day-night cycle, several maps, some daytime and others at night

love this idea.. yes please! I love to have a sunset only map,..
  • Options
    zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I just know on my old "gut feeling" that Risa, Summer Event is treated differently now from what I recall.
    In the past (before 2 years ago) Summer Event was something players looked forward to and the staff knew it, and treated it like something you couldn't wait for by letting us know well in advance, and assuring us of exactly when it would start. Now Summer Event seems to be treated like a disease or a plague -"It's coming in July, don't mention it, don't ask...We told you it is coming in July, so stop asking, don't get excited...shut up already".

That's the feeling I get.
    Why is something I look forward to treated so badly as if an unwanted bland routine?

I could be wrong, but that is the feeling I get.
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    More Egg Hunts, please!! And Dancing.... I like dancing. Where one can actually TALK to people while getting Lohlunat.

+1 to this right here. ;)

Hallowed are the Taco!
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Last year we only had one dance per activity cycle, please can we have two again.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    More Egg Hunts, please!! And Dancing.... I like dancing. Where one can actually TALK to people while getting Lohlunat.

+1 to this right here. ;)

Hallowed are the Taco!

Holy are the Taco, the Chimichanga, and the Dorito of Truth
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    In the past (before 2 years ago) Summer Event was something players looked forward to and the staff knew it, and treated it like something you couldn't wait for by letting us know well in advance, and assuring us of exactly when it would start.

You stated you could be wrong, and so could I, but I don't remember any major prior announcements in the past. I even missed my first summer event (which was a shame, since it was the last one you could get all those T5 ships) because of that. But then again, I didn't read the posts too much back then.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »
    In the past (before 2 years ago) Summer Event was something players looked forward to and the staff knew it, and treated it like something you couldn't wait for by letting us know well in advance, and assuring us of exactly when it would start.

You stated you could be wrong, and so could I, but I don't remember any major prior announcements in the past. I even missed my first summer event (which was a shame, since it was the last one you could get all those T5 ships) because of that. But then again, I didn't read the posts too much back then.
    Me neither.The only major advance announcement I remember was in 2015, and that was for retiring the old event tokens and projects.

In fact, getting the ship revealed in the roadmap this year was far more advance notice than any other year.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    what I would like? i would like that the devs read this kind of thread and use some ideas. each year, a thread like this one is created, and the devs don't do improvement to the event, or try some players' ideas to make this event funnier.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    what I would like? i would like that the devs read this kind of thread and use some ideas. each year, a thread like this one is created, and the devs don't do improvement to the event, or try some players' ideas to make this event funnier.
    Well ideas need to be put out at least 6 months ahead of time. So an idea suggested today could get used next year, but not this year.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    yeah! I know, but have the devs read the last year thread? i don't think so. ;)
  • Options
    What I would like is for the character selection screen to stay the same until the summer event, so my toons will be standing around in their summer wear and bikinis in this snowy landscape.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    yeah! I know, but have the devs read the last year thread? i don't think so. ;)
    actually they've explained that it's rather troublesome to impliment stuff suggested in the forums unless it's something Cryptic has already been planning internally and thus they won't take suggestions from the forums as a rule of thumb, it doesn't mean they don't read the threads just that it might take a while before an idea is implimented and even then it's unlikely to be in the exact form is was suggested in the forums.

Remember that Cryptic has both a legal responsibility and responsibility to follow the terms of the license and they must find a way to fullfill both those responsibilities before they can even start to impliment something.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Dance Party should be a continuously running activity: jump in and participate at any time to get your tokens with an individual player cooldown timer to minimize token farming. Same thing for the Treasure Hunt, Hor'gahn Hunt, and Sand Castle Building. These are all single player activities that don't really require any coordination of participation with other players.

I'm sure that those events are scheduled to prevent players from token farming by just cycling through toons to farm a single event. But at this point, who cares? There are so many Summer Store items and everything is so ridiculously expensive as compared to the Winter Store, and there are no Summer DOFF assignments, that players really need options to acquire more tokens if they want.

Races are about the only events that should be on a set schedule.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Dance Party should be a continuously running activity: jump in and participate at any time to get your tokens with an individual player cooldown timer to minimize token farming. Same thing for the Treasure Hunt, Hor'gahn Hunt, and Sand Castle Building. These are all single player activities that don't really require any coordination of participation with other players.

I'm sure that those events are scheduled to prevent players from token farming by just cycling through toons to farm a single event. But at this point, who cares? There are so many Summer Store items and everything is so ridiculously expensive as compared to the Winter Store, and there are no Summer DOFF assignments, that players really need options to acquire more tokens if they want.

+1

I'd spend a lot more time on Risa if I could play any of the events whenever I wanted to. x minute cooldowns per event could take care of token farming concerns.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Agreed.
    And they have the ability to put account-wide cooldowns on them to stop that kind of thing if they wanted to.

Although honestly I would prefer if they had different rewards for each event, so they wouldn't just be "options" but rather would have a reason to play all of them.
    I would actually make the races continuously available, too. Log everyone's best time for like 15-30 minutes and then give the placement rewards based on time. Daily/yearly leaderboards could be kept to show the best racers. This would also conveniently get rid of the flag stealing controversy.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Or set the races into queues... Queue 10 people and let them race any time... Let the dancing run for 15 minutes with a 5 minute cool down, and run it continuously...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
This discussion has been closed.