test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deep Discounts in the Weekend Event Store!

Comments

• Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    How do you guys have so many weekend tokens?
    I have every item, only missed one or two events, and only have 4 extra.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »

In the weekend store, for me, there are currently 9 items + a dil box.

I've claimed all but the Tsunkatse Gloves and Prolonged Torpedo. I have 26 (not 25 - I had one more sitting in another spot) weekend vouchers in my account bank. If I claimed and unlocked those two rewards during the original events, I'd still have 20 tokens (I actually didn't realize I hadn't claimed and unlocked all the rewards until I checked because the announcement).

9 rewards = 45 possible tokens. 45 - 27 claims = 18 tokens. There must have been another event at some point that rewarded them.

Frankly, I like doing the events and always grind them out. I had over 300 tokens/vouchers that just went poof from the various other events, so I don't really notice them until something like this announcement happens. I just always have enough to claim stuff early, but keep grinding events. I was actually stunned when I tallied up all the old vouchers before the maintenance.

Most likely, you've missed more than 1 or 2 events.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

In the weekend store, for me, there are currently 9 items + a dil box.

I've claimed all but the Tsunkatse Gloves and Prolonged Torpedo. I have 26 (not 25 - I had one more sitting in another spot) weekend vouchers in my account bank. If I claimed and unlocked those two rewards during the original events, I'd still have 20 tokens (I actually didn't realize I hadn't claimed and unlocked all the rewards until I checked because the announcement).

9 rewards = 45 possible tokens. 45 - 27 claims = 18 tokens. There must have been another event at some point that rewarded them.

Frankly, I like doing the events and always grind them out. I had over 300 tokens/vouchers that just went poof from the various other events, so I don't really notice them until something like this announcement happens. I just always have enough to claim stuff early, but keep grinding events. I was actually stunned when I tallied up all the old vouchers before the maintenance.

Most likely, you've missed more than 1 or 2 events.

Hmm. I know I missed the very first weekend event, because it wasn't announcement much in advance, but this was before the "weekend event store" existed, it was still an event project I think. So I totally missed it entirely.

I think the next time, they opened the weekend store, which I played catch-up with until recently (since they re-released the sompek lightning, which was the first weekend reward iirc). It's possible I missed the second one also due to aforementioned poor announcement schedule.

I griped in the forums about that back then. It was basically two-day notice for a 4 day event. Which, for the 3 week events, is fine, but for a weekend event, missing a day or two because you already scheduled something that weekend means you missed the entire thing.

Maybe I missed more.
  • Options
    ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    All this talk of tokens. What I read is no weekend events. Which means no upgrade weekend or dilithium weekend, amongst others.

Nope, this is ALL about the Events that give out Weekend Event Tokens. I'm 99.9% sure we'll still get Dilithium Weekends and Upgrade Weekends.

You may be right, but you are assuming this because of the references to tokens. As far as I am concerned, this announcement states no weekend events and that means no dilithium or upgrade weekend events.

Until I see an official announcement that says otherwise, I will assume no weekend events is all inclusive.

NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    All this talk of tokens. What I read is no weekend events. Which means no upgrade weekend or dilithium weekend, amongst others.

Nope, this is ALL about the Events that give out Weekend Event Tokens. I'm 99.9% sure we'll still get Dilithium Weekends and Upgrade Weekends.

You may be right, but you are assuming this because of the references to tokens. As far as I am concerned, this announcement states no weekend events and that means no dilithium or upgrade weekend events.

Until I see an official announcement that says otherwise, I will assume no weekend events is all inclusive.

Weekend events like Red Alerts, Dilithium Weekends, Bonus Coupon Weekends, Junior Officer Weekends, etc will NOT be going away.
  • Options
    nishizawasannishizawasan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    So basically everything will be character locked from now on? Good to know. Just saying, as a veteran player, lifetime subscriber, and someone who spends a good chunk yearly for Zen with multiple characters, and strives to complete as many events as possible; this is going to deter me in the future. If everything keeps turning to character locked stuff, I don't see any reason to keep investing.

I have no idea how you read that.
    That is not what any of this says.
    Weekend event store are account unlocks, 14 day TFOs are account unlocks.
    The only thing changing is that the weekend store, for acquiring new items, is going away.
    There is no replacement afaik, but the TFO events are still account-wide, so we aren't moving to character unlocks. It's only character unlock if you missed the introduction event for that item, which is what the Phoenix box is for.

Nothing in the Pheonix Box is an account unlock. Yes, I will be able to claim what I already have, but what about the stuff I don't yet? Ideally if stuff was an account unlock in the pheonix boxes like it should be for some items, (i.e. past event starships) due to the rarity of high level tokens, it would be a different story. We will see, but unless something changes, I imagine future weekend event purchases will be a character unlock if you don't already have them.

The Phoenix box isn't new, it's been around for ages. It contains items that are now character unlocks for previously account unlocks for those that got it originally. Before the Phoenix box existed everything was character unlock, even for the original event, and if you missed it, you lost it forever. Now it only is if you missed the original account unlock event.

Lesson here is, don't miss the original event, and you'll never need the Phoenix box. This is true going forward (unless Cryptic changes things again).

• Options
    nishizawasannishizawasan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Define ages. I am returning to the game after being away for almost 3 years, when every 14 day event had to be unlocked on every single character. There are some positive changes, such as reclaiming Federation Starship Traits on your Romulans and Klingons. That alone was one of the real fubars of the Delta Rising/T6 expansion.
    As far as Phoenix prizes, the original First Contact event consisted of character bound unlocks for the Zephram Cochrane shotgun. Do you really want to see a return to such a grind?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Define ages. I am returning to the game after being away for almost 3 years, when every 14 day event had to be unlocked on every single character. There are some positive changes, such as reclaiming Federation Starship Traits on your Romulans and Klingons. That alone was one of the real fubars of the Delta Rising/T6 expansion.
    As far as Phoenix prizes, the original First Contact event consisted of character bound unlocks for the Zephram Cochrane shotgun. Do you really want to see a return to such a grind?

Ok, well even one year is "ages" for an MMO.
    It's been two years at least (or at least feels like it). The account unlock rewards for 14-day events started about a year or so ago, after the weekend store appeared.

And we aren't returning to that. Character unlocks are not returning on mass. The only thing changing is that the weekend event store to purchase new items is being retired, replaced instead with the regular projects we have to slot, which still, btw, provide account unlocks.
    Anything we've already unlocked in the weekend event store will remain account unlocks, they'll just move to a different location for reclaiming.
  • Options
    lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    My view is not wanted i am sure of that. and no question some one here will either edit or correct me for some contrived issue or wrong think.

I take issue with the phoenix packs and stores for a few reasons. The primary one you can't ever earn items from the pack. you can gamble all you like. To earn a item is not possible.

The other issue i have is the exclusivity view of the items in the store. Every time items from the past are requested to have some way to earn them again. You have some random person chime in either you can in the phoenix pack. Or you should have devoted your life to playing this game in the past regardless of when the person started the game.

And that last view some how seams to think other mmos do this so its normal and every one should accept this yet at the same time going look what i have and you cant get.

And yes i understand you can get the packs and open them all you want to. You can buy zen trade it and buy as many as you can get your hands on. But you can not earn a item.

So even knowing my view is worthless i hope this will be considered and changes made to make it possible to earn the items. As many have said a trade up option would be all it takes. for instance you could buy a mid token between vr and ur. set it at 5 vr a mid token. then offer the ur token for 500 mid tokens. this would mean one ur token would cost a person 10mill refined dil and more as it only lets you upgrade vr tokens.

The cost is insane in and of it self but the net result is it would be possible to EARN one. I also hope every item that was in the past in some way finds a new option to get them for returning players as well as new ones.

In the end this has been time i will never see again and have given a part of my life to type this i would ask it be given the consideration deserved of such an act. Likewise every one on this forum has spent such a currency let us not wast more picking each other apart.
    I do agree with most of what your wrote.
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    <Jumping into the shark filled pool>

Disclaimer: I do not work for, or know anyone personally at Cryptic. My opinion is my own.

Look, I know missing out on rewards sucks. But imagine if Cryptic had subscriber exclusive rewards as well. I play at least one MMO that also has subscriber, limited time, exclusive rewards and no Phoenix Box mechanism to reclaim them. Either you are a subscriber at the time or you miss out. Period. While I agree you will never be "rewarded" an ultra rare or epic reward token and perhaps drop rates can stand to be increased, there is a chance. Other games bring back retired exclusive items for a limited time. Point is, we are not entitled to get everything a game offers. Again in my opinion, if your are not fixated on ships, the Phoenix lockbox is a good way to pick up retired rewards. I do agree that perhaps Cryptic should look at maybe at least making the ultra rare and epic ships account unlocks due to their rarity - kind of like the Lobi and regular lockbox ships - but that is a different discussion for a different day.

I dual-platform STO and there are rewards we have had an opportunity to earn account unlocks on the PC that console users will never have a chance to. The Future flyer board mini board is an example.

All this to say, we are playing a game, for free I might add, that Cryptic has the right to manipulate as they see fit.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

Weekend events like Red Alerts, Dilithium Weekends, Bonus Coupon Weekends, Junior Officer Weekends, etc will NOT be going away.

I wish there was one more weekend event (like this weekend), so those of us with, let's say 1 left over token from the last Weekend Event, could get the chance to complete a set (like the Sompek set or Prolonged set) before this goes *poof*.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Not likely to happen, it was stated the other day there would be no weekend events for us who lost out on any items regardless of why. I was hoping that I could get in another weekend event to get the sompek shield I lost out on due to issues in the event, but oh well, soo much for that.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    awlaforge wrote: »
    I do agree that perhaps Cryptic should look at maybe at least making the ultra rare and epic ships account unlocks due to their rarity - kind of like the Lobi and regular lockbox ships - but that is a different discussion for a different day.

Not sure if I reading this correctly, but here goes ....
    As far as I can remember Lobi and Lockbox ships are not account unlocks, they are Character unlocks.
    If you mean that you want the Lobi , Lockbox, Ultra rare, and Epic ships to be account unlocks I agree that they should be account unlocks..

Thanks!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Isn't it obvious? People have played the events, but didn't want to buy the items. Most of the items aren't that good and the token store wasn't time-limited so no need to rush.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious? People have played the events, but didn't want to buy the items. Most of the items aren't that good and the token store wasn't time-limited so no need to rush.
    Really? I actually find them to be great. I don't use them on everyone, but almost all of my characters use at least one of them.

Also anyone who currently has a pile of the tokens can buy out the entire store and have most of them left over. I only had 3 extras. But I'd already bought all the items.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I have to ask, I noticed that the Sompek Pulswave is not in the Weekend Event even though the Sompek Assault IS in the Weekend store tab. I am unable to unlock it even though I clearly have it for other characters. What is going to happen with Sompek arena stuff? How can I unlock the other Weekend items I was hoping to unlock if there is no weekend event right now where I can get the tokens to unlock them? I was thinking today was going to be events where I could start to unlock them.

Some clarification is needed.
  • Options
    athan#5519 wrote: »
    I have to ask, I noticed that the Sompek Pulswave is not in the Weekend Event even though the Sompek Assault IS in the Weekend store tab. I am unable to unlock it even though I clearly have it for other characters. What is going to happen with Sompek arena stuff? How can I unlock the other Weekend items I was hoping to unlock if there is no weekend event right now where I can get the tokens to unlock them? I was thinking today was going to be events where I could start to unlock them.

Some clarification is needed.
    Sompek Pulsewave is already in the Phoenix store. It costs one very rare token (dark purple ones).

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Sompek Pulsewave is already in the Phoenix store. It costs one very rare token (dark purple ones).
    Thank you so much! I rarely use them so I didn't know!

Also I have to ask now that I went through all my characters and confirmed. Can we please get one last chance to get Weekend Vouchers? If I would have known the last time was the last chance to collect them I would have saved all 4 of them. :(

This kinda sucks REALLY bad because I was planning on the next weekend voucher event to get one of the items I was really wanting.
    Post edited by athan#5519 on
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

I wish there was one more weekend event (like this weekend), so those of us with, let's say 1 left over token from the last Weekend Event, could get the chance to complete a set (like the Sompek set or Prolonged set) before this goes *poof*.

Instead of 1 more Weekend Event during this mechanics transitioning Cryptic should've just gifted every players' account with 1 token to use as the players saw fit. Is the 1 token cost per item a good gesture? Yes, but it is still suckerpunching players with this announcement that didn't hoard tokens since there's no more Weekend Events & rewarding the players that hoarded. There's still enough time for Cryptic to do this gifting of 1 token too probably under the Promo Tab & this way no player would be left-out, but very doubtful Cryptic would extended their hand even furthur. A shame that these items will be only earned now through gambling & only unlocked per character.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    No, it makes absolutely no sense to run another event or giveaway free vouchers when they're wanting to clear these things out of the database. There were already enough events run with enough earnable vouchers for those who participated to get everything already in the Weekend Store. If you participated, but didn't earn quite enough, the discount is for you to still have a chance. If you didn't participate, you missed out then, you miss out now, too. Participants got lucky that it was decided to allow a turn in with as opposed to a mass deletion like with the other tokens. This is what I feel they could've done with the other event tokens as well, allowing those who participated to get something for their tokens, but didn't for whatever reasons. But handing out MORE of the things they're trying to clear out? No.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    > @foppotee#4552 said:
    > captaincelestial wrote: »
    >
    > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    >
    > ajm1067 wrote: »
    >
    > iamynaught wrote: »
    >
    > ajm1067 wrote: »
    >
    > All this talk of tokens. What I read is no weekend events. Which means no upgrade weekend or dilithium weekend, amongst others.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Nope, this is ALL about the Events that give out Weekend Event Tokens. I'm 99.9% sure we'll still get Dilithium Weekends and Upgrade Weekends.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You may be right, but you are assuming this because of the references to tokens. As far as I am concerned, this announcement states no weekend events and that means no dilithium or upgrade weekend events.
    >
    > Until I see an official announcement that says otherwise, I will assume no weekend events is all inclusive.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Weekend events like Red Alerts, Dilithium Weekends, Bonus Coupon Weekends, Junior Officer Weekends, etc will NOT be going away.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wish there was one more weekend event (like this weekend), so those of us with, let's say 1 left over token from the last Weekend Event, could get the chance to complete a set (like the Sompek set or Prolonged set) before this goes *poof*.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Instead of 1 more Weekend Event during this mechanics transitioning Cryptic should've just gifted every players' account with 1 token to use as the players saw fit. Is the 1 token cost per item a good gesture? Yes, but it is still suckerpunching players with this announcement that didn't hoard tokens since there's no more Weekend Events & rewarding the players that hoarded. There's still enough time for Cryptic to do this gifting of 1 token too probably under the Promo Tab & this way no player would be left-out, but very doubtful Cryptic would extended their hand even furthur. A shame that these items will be only earned now through gambling & only unlocked per character.

I aggree and I'd love it but it's unlikely for the reasons given by badmoonrizzin
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    psytce0002 wrote: »
    awlaforge wrote: »
    I do agree that perhaps Cryptic should look at maybe at least making the ultra rare and epic ships account unlocks due to their rarity - kind of like the Lobi and regular lockbox ships - but that is a different discussion for a different day.

Not sure if I reading this correctly, but here goes ....
    As far as I can remember Lobi and Lockbox ships are not account unlocks, they are Character unlocks.
    If you mean that you want the Lobi , Lockbox, Ultra rare, and Epic ships to be account unlocks I agree that they should be account unlocks..

Thanks!

Bad phrasing on my part. Probably starting to ramble. I meant I wish Cryptic would look at making lock box and lobi ships account unlocks. :) Plug for Tier 6 ship mastery...
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Despite the fact I didn't quote it, one person mentioned they had the entire store, plus another 20-something tokens. That's what my question was about.
  • Options
    No, it makes absolutely no sense to run another event or giveaway free vouchers when they're wanting to clear these things out of the database. There were already enough events run with enough earnable vouchers for those who participated to get everything already in the Weekend Store. If you participated, but didn't earn quite enough, the discount is for you to still have a chance. If you didn't participate, you missed out then, you miss out now, too. Participants got lucky that it was decided to allow a turn in with as opposed to a mass deletion like with the other tokens. This is what I feel they could've done with the other event tokens as well, allowing those who participated to get something for their tokens, but didn't for whatever reasons. But handing out MORE of the things they're trying to clear out? No.

Weird, I participated, but because I had to work as well, I was only able to usually unlock one item per weekend event which was usually the event item being awarded for that event. The last Kobashi Maru weekend event, I used up 3 more Weekend vouchers to buy another item outside of the new weekend item. Had I gotten some information that this was on the chopping block then, I would have definitely saved them. Now I have none because I was able to save up for an extra item in the last time. This is why I am asking. Not because I feel I am entitled to it, but because I didn't know I needed to save the three last tokens for something like this. *Again, I had no idea this weekend voucher event was an issue for developers.*

Is there anything else we should be advised of? I'm kinda now wondering what else is at risk and being looked at for removal.
  • Options
    ncc1701z5ncc1701z5 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Now can someone tell me where left my two leftover tokens? ( I already have everything but I'd like to grab that Dil. box) :smile: LLAP.
    "Saving the galaxy's our business"

Admiral Wilkens: "I bend our rules so folks don't have to live in fear strictly obeying someone else's".

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Participants got lucky that it was decided to allow a turn in with as opposed to a mass deletion like with the other tokens.

The two recent retirements are directly analogous. Partial completion of projects with the single-token 14 day queues were auto-completed per existing precedent (Sompek's 14 day variant retirement.) That solved a development problem through equitable compromise which players could reasonably accept (see. good business practice). Given how the weekend system event works though there isn't a perfect parallel. Players don't have active projects and progress isn't tracked per reward. The one token discount, however, serves the purpose of letting those sitting on 1 or 2 tokens get whatever item they weren't able to secure during the run(s) in question. It's as close as Cryptic can get to completing projects per partial progress for the weekend events.

Players aren't lucky that reasonable development practices are carried through consistently. It's expectation per high quality business. If it were otherwise, then this would simply be a different kind of game with a different population and a different kind of business. The circumstances of this discussion would not apply if a positive relationship was not maintained through policies such as we see here. Players may be disappointed that they don't go further, but Cryptic is being consistent.

athan#5519 wrote: »
    Is there anything else we should be advised of? I'm kinda now wondering what else is at risk and being looked at for removal.
    From the AMA and ten forward comments the use of tokens for events sounds to be on the way out. The new system they have in mind would (at least from my interpretation) award progress automatically for participation (ie. like coupon progress progression is presently counted.)

There may come a point where the Featured TFO tokens are retired as well in favor of this system. That may result in a similar situation where residual TFO projects need to be auto-completed and tokens deleted, but it ultimately depends on how they change over to new TFO event schemes and what types of events are included. Stockpiled tokens may not retain their value in perpetuity and it may useful to bank some progress on TFO's you can't participate with in full (or buy out of) in the event you can come back to it later (standard advice regardless) or the system is retired.

There isn't much risk involved except to intensive token hording. Play as you will normally and that should work out fine (they tend to balance these changes per the average player experience.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Great, I just missed the opportunity to turn in my shards.
  • Options
    From the AMA and ten forward comments the use of tokens for events sounds to be on the way out. The new system they have in mind would (at least from my interpretation) award progress automatically for participation (ie. like coupon progress progression is presently counted.)

There may come a point where the Featured TFO tokens are retired as well in favor of this system. That may result in a similar situation where residual TFO projects need to be auto-completed and tokens deleted, but it ultimately depends on how they change over to new TFO event schemes and what types of events are included. Stockpiled tokens may not retain their value in perpetuity and it may useful to bank some progress on TFO's you can't participate with (or buy out of) in the event you can come back to it later (standard advice regardless) or the system is retired.

There isn't much risk involved except to intensive token hording. Play as you will normally and that should work out fine (they tend to balance these changes per the average player experience.)
    Great information! Thank you so much all! Hopefully Phoenix prizes will help us recoup the miss-ables for our characters as we build them.
  • Options
    > @athan#5519 said:
    > Is there anything else we should be advised of? I'm kinda now wondering what else is at risk and being looked at for removal.

I second that!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    @duncanidaho11 I agree with your assessment. By "got lucky," I was referring to the originally announced intent to delete Weekend Vouchers as well, but Cryptic did the 180 and reversed that decision.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.