test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Hmmm .. I'll take it literally ... Mirror Universe expansion? :D Which will basically be the fed missions but a lot bloodier.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    warpangel wrote: »
    Having "a massively wide ocean" is realistic worldbuilding. Everything can't be important or interesting all the time. The world is full of people, places and things that were only ever newsworthy once and then forgotten about.
    If it isn't important or interesting why is it the focus of an episode or movies then?
    I repeat: The world is full of people, places and things that were only ever newsworthy once and then forgotten about.

Once. For one event (episode, movie, whatever).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Further point of order, he is a time travelling special agent, all periods are technically his era.

However I don't believe he has authority over events that are after his own particular time of origin. He can deal with events before in order to preserve history, as he did multiple times, but there is no evidence to suggest he is also responsible for what hasn't happened yet. That would most likely be the responisbility of DTI native to that particular time period.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just as long as it's not a face change like in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Just as long as it's not a face change like in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. ;)

Well... lets hope no one opens the Ark. Otherwise the only way to survive is to keep our eyes shut.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2019
    Would the 'Ark' be better spelled' Arc' instead? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • michlomichlo Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    It is highly unlikely but I wish it would be a revamp of the levelling system.

It is absurd that we're all Fleet Admirals flying around, taking orders from Captains for menial tasks.

Perhaps a system where we rank up a Captain level (to ad infinitum) and/or, if we CHOOSE, start a very long, complicated path to the Admiralty. It could include a lot of diplomacy rather than just shooting enemies.

Ideas?
    Honestly I hardly ever show Fleet Admiral on my uniforms. I pretty much stop updating around Captain anyways.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Honestly I hardly ever show Fleet Admiral on my uniforms. I pretty much stop updating around Captain anyways.
    Yep. It's a little annoying that all these people keep calling my captain "Admiral", but I usually just chalk it up to civilians not knowing how to read Starfleet rank pips.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Hell... I'm wearing an outdated Sierra 1 uniform on my main! lol
    If they don't exist, why do I see Party Poppers all over ESD?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    At this point, I'm not sure I really care anymore. I want to, and hopefully when actual details emerge what direction things may be heading it'll change my mind. I was actually in the beta but it didn't hold my interest enough after launch and I stopped playing. I came back in late 2012 and have been here ever since, enjoying a majority of what we've been given.

Now, I like to play the speculation game like a lot of others do and I have ideas about every storyline when an upcoming one is announced. Sometimes I'm pretty close to what we get, other times I'm way off. For now, the only thing that even comes to mind as far as an all new story that'll change the face of the game would be a Borg revamp.

Starting in The Next Generation and lasting through DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise (though only in an unnamed fashion) as well as the Next Gen movies, the Borg were the big bad for our time. Not so anymore. Now they are the galaxy's whipping boys. Considering their entire gimmick is adapting they sure haven't done a good job of it over the last few years. I have a feeling that will be changing.

Will I be correct? I hope so, but only time will tell. For now though, there is just so much grind to get the new shiny (be it a free ship, an event or a new rep) I'm only logging in long enough to make progress on the current event and logging back out. I haven't even touched the new missions, though that is mostly because they are apparently rather long and I just don't have the time to make progress on events AND play a mission as well. I need to pick one or the other and the grind actually takes less time than the missions. Eventually the grind will subside enough and the missions will always be here*.

So for now, I'll just wait until teasers are released with some info and base my expectations on those. I'm hoping for the best.

*And no joking from me about content being removed, this is newer stuff and only the old launch type stuff seems to get the DELETE treatment.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • randomone3randomone3 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I don't know if this has been said before, but what about Fed. and K.D.F. being able to team up to do missions and T.F.O.s' after starting the Delta arc.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    randomone3 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been said before, but what about Fed. and K.D.F. being able to team up to do missions and T.F.O.s' after starting the Delta arc.

That's something though that would have been done already. What they're talking about is an UPCOMING storyline that will change the game.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    I have a feeling its kinda hardcoded into the game to have the "Red vs Blue" blocking cross teaming. Its been in the game since Day 1, so even if it is possible to rig it to allow cross teaming after a certain point, its probably extremely difficult because we are talking about core code at the foundation of the entire game. Not a simple fix of just flipping a 0 to a 1. One minor mistake can bork everything.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Starting in The Next Generation and lasting through DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise (though only in an unnamed fashion) as well as the Next Gen movies, the Borg were the big bad for our time. Not so anymore. Now they are the galaxy's whipping boys. Considering their entire gimmick is adapting they sure haven't done a good job of it over the last few years. I have a feeling that will be changing.
    Cryptic has said that a new Borg story arc, that makes the Borg end-game enemies again, has been something they have wanted to do for awhile.

It would also give them the development time and focus to revamp the old Borg TFOs(also something they have repeatedly said they want to do), and replace Defera with a new Borg Battlezone that isn't so laughably awful(also something they have said they wanted to do).
    I find that a strange desire. The borg are no less "endgame" enemies than any other "endgame" enemy they have created since. Which is to say, they're all incredibly easy, presumably on purpose.

On the ground, the borg are still much harder than pretty much every other "endgame" enemy they have, given the adaptation mechanic that at least requires a minimal amount of thought to overcome. They just removed a borg queue from the RTFO with the excuse that (the favored part of) the playerbase didn't find it "fun."

So, the only revamp I expect for the borg queues is the addition of the ubiquitous auto-win timers that the Easy Mode crusaders apparently consider fun. Probably the removal of the adaptation mechanic, too. Because even after actually fighting them is made optional, some peeps would still call it "annoying" to have enemies that could actually defend themselves by any means.

I really wish I was wrong on this...but past experience has taught me not to get my hopes up.
    Not to mention the possible inclusion of a playable Borg Cooperative start, something Cryptic has admitted is THE most requested "new playable species/start".
    The only thing hindering them making a borg origin story is they've so far been charging people $200-300 for the privilege of being allowed to play a borg toon and putting up a borg origin story would be undermining that.

When they ditched the monthly subscriptions they never made the perks available for purchase for Zen much less for free. I can't see them giving the lifetime sub perks for free either.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Cryptic has said that a new Borg story arc, that makes the Borg end-game enemies again, has been something they have wanted to do for awhile.

It would also give them the development time and focus to revamp the old Borg TFOs(also something they have repeatedly said they want to do), and replace Defera with a new Borg Battlezone that isn't so laughably awful(also something they have said they wanted to do).
    I find that a strange desire. The borg are no less "endgame" enemies than any other "endgame" enemy they have created since. Which is to say, they're all incredibly easy, presumably on purpose.

On the ground, the borg are still much harder than pretty much every other "endgame" enemy they have, given the adaptation mechanic that at least requires a minimal amount of thought to overcome. They just removed a borg queue from the RTFO with the excuse that (the favored part of) the playerbase didn't find it "fun."

So, the only revamp I expect for the borg queues is the addition of the ubiquitous auto-win timers that the Easy Mode crusaders apparently consider fun. Probably the removal of the adaptation mechanic, too. Because even after actually fighting them is made optional, some peeps would still call it "annoying" to have enemies that could actually defend themselves by any means.

I really wish I was wrong on this...but past experience has taught me not to get my hopes up.
    Not to mention the possible inclusion of a playable Borg Cooperative start, something Cryptic has admitted is THE most requested "new playable species/start".
    The only thing hindering them making a borg origin story is they've so far been charging people $200-300 for the privilege of being allowed to play a borg toon and putting up a borg origin story would be undermining that.

When they ditched the monthly subscriptions they never made the perks available for purchase for Zen much less for free. I can't see them giving the lifetime sub perks for free either.

With this game, hope is a mistake. :mrgreen:

Do you feel that their killing of subscription options, thus self-inflicting an income source wound, was a surprise?

Plenty of the envious who aren't willing to shell out the $200-$300 clams are quite vocal about wanting to play Borg characters. I have a feeling that Cryptic will eventually deliver that to those not willing to pay for the privilege, because just like those auto-win timers with the participation reward payouts, or the spoilmark boxes, they don't want people left behind/left out. The game already caters to the lowest common denominator.

It's not like Cryptic's updated the LTS rewards/veteran rewards in a long time either.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Hmmm .. I'll take it literally ... Mirror Universe expansion? :D Which will basically be the fed missions but a lot bloodier.

How can it get any bloodier? We're killing NPCs left and right, blow up ships, slice and hack our way through enemies, Empress Georgiou would be proud.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I would like something really original, like being to play as a reformed iconian or something (May be even letting you play through some of the iconican war arc as an iconian)

Or a mirror universe expansion where you can play as the evil version of YOUR captain.

It could be borg but I don't see that being game changing unless you can actually be assimilated.

I think the most likely change is a galactic union which could promote some really cool ship designs and uniforms.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Not really, they could very easily do what they did with the Jem'Hadar and make the Borg lifetime species be significantly better.
    Maybe make the race passive less good? Also let LTS players make Borg Aliens.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    So they might change part of the games story to reflect the new canon in the new Picard series?
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I swear, if they make Victory is Life irrelevant or just non canon in favor of Discovery sh***, I'm done with the game...
This discussion has been closed.