test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Minelayer boat guide

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Does anyone know how the self replicating minefield from the "deep space mine" clicky interacts with the new relocate mines abiliity? Does it change where the mines respawn at, only move the active mines, or not work with it at all?
    Relocate mines does not interact with self replicating minefield at all. You cannot even trigger Relocate mines if self replicating minefield is the only active mines out.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, that sounds like a bug in need of fixing...mines are mines - ALL of them should be valid for relocate mines​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Ok, so with the zen sale today I finally got around to buying the cardassian species, been wanting to make a cardassian themed character for a while.

That said, Here's the idea I have for the build, which will be a torpedo boat/minelayer:

-Using the cardassian intel science dreadnaught (4/3 setup w/ secondary deflector).
    -Using the 3 piece cardassian intel console set, elite defense satellite console, and the rest of the console slots probably split between boosting torpedo/mine/kinetic damage and EPG
    -Will probably use both the gamma task force and terran task force sets, mines and torpedoes respectively

The basic concept I have in my head is this: Deploy the satellites (cardassian support cluster and elite defense satellite), and stick my ship inside the shield sphere auto-laying mines. Enemies at long range I can pelt with torpedoes and possibly some science powers, and use the relocate mines ability as needed to teleport mines from my little minefield to distant targets.

Using the graga mal duty officer as an active (which turns tractor beam repulsors into a pull ability), I can pull any enemies that get close to the shield sphere into it, and thus into my minefield. Combine this with an inhibiting secondary deflector and they'll take some burst exotic damage, or alternatively I can use a deteriorating deflector with charged particle burst to irradiate enemies inside the sphere.

Other than the beam arrays necessary to complete set bonuses, this ship would be entirely mine/torpedo based, so getting around shields will probably benefit a little more with charged particle burst. Could also possibly use tachyon beam for long range shield dropping.

My thinking is that this bunker-style minelayer build would make the ship pretty tough, all things considered, since you get bonus shield regen while in the support sphere and enemies in the sphere have their damage/speed reduced. At the same time, I can have all sorts of different torpedo and mine effects going - particle emission plasma, gravimetric, cluster torpedoes, fast arming mines, neutronic mines, etc. This means I can keep my weapon power at minimum, and go heavy into shield/aux power (wont really need engine power if i'm sitting in the bubble most of the time).

Also, with the gamma set, I can create that self-replicating minefield inside my support sphere, and it will remain there while I relocate my other mines to distant targets. This setup seems to negate the worst parts of the ship (very low speed/turn rate) by turning it into a stationary minelayer / artillery ship.

Any comments or suggestions for this build?
    Ok, so with the zen sale today I finally got around to buying the cardassian species, been wanting to make a cardassian themed character for a while.

That said, Here's the idea I have for the build, which will be a torpedo boat/minelayer:

-Using the cardassian intel science dreadnaught (4/3 setup w/ secondary deflector).
    -Using the 3 piece cardassian intel console set, elite defense satellite console, and the rest of the console slots probably split between boosting torpedo/mine/kinetic damage and EPG
    -Will probably use both the gamma task force and terran task force sets, mines and torpedoes respectively

The basic concept I have in my head is this: Deploy the satellites (cardassian support cluster and elite defense satellite), and stick my ship inside the shield sphere auto-laying mines. Enemies at long range I can pelt with torpedoes and possibly some science powers, and use the relocate mines ability as needed to teleport mines from my little minefield to distant targets.

Using the graga mal duty officer as an active (which turns tractor beam repulsors into a pull ability), I can pull any enemies that get close to the shield sphere into it, and thus into my minefield. Combine this with an inhibiting secondary deflector and they'll take some burst exotic damage, or alternatively I can use a deteriorating deflector with charged particle burst to irradiate enemies inside the sphere.

Other than the beam arrays necessary to complete set bonuses, this ship would be entirely mine/torpedo based, so getting around shields will probably benefit a little more with charged particle burst. Could also possibly use tachyon beam for long range shield dropping.

My thinking is that this bunker-style minelayer build would make the ship pretty tough, all things considered, since you get bonus shield regen while in the support sphere and enemies in the sphere have their damage/speed reduced. At the same time, I can have all sorts of different torpedo and mine effects going - particle emission plasma, gravimetric, cluster torpedoes, fast arming mines, neutronic mines, etc. This means I can keep my weapon power at minimum, and go heavy into shield/aux power (wont really need engine power if i'm sitting in the bubble most of the time).

Also, with the gamma set, I can create that self-replicating minefield inside my support sphere, and it will remain there while I relocate my other mines to distant targets. This setup seems to negate the worst parts of the ship (very low speed/turn rate) by turning it into a stationary minelayer / artillery ship.

Any comments or suggestions for this build?

It should work although in some missions it will be tricky to get ships into the sphere. I used to run Eject Warp Plasma build with a trait to make the plasma explode into an AoE but the problem is the short range and getting the targets where you want them. There are times when a stationary minelayer / artillery ship works but other times you need to stay mobile. When you do stay stationary consider the Anchored trait
    so...S31 mine, yea or nay?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited June 2019
    so...S31 mine, yea or nay?​​
    I seem to be behind everyone else, still have 2 days before I unlock it. Looking at the stats it looks really good. Great for taking shields down.

Not related to the S31 mine but this might be useful to some
    https://www.sto-league.com/minelayer-vorgon-ytijara-dreadnought-cruiser/
  • timberwolf#2067 timberwolf Member Posts: 49 Media Corps
    I was planning on recording a minelayer build, and this helps my understanding alot.... thank you :)
    good, maybe that means people won't have to pay 1.5b for reverberation, then​​

#LegalizeAwoo

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/2ae4e4e3e9081fdc7c6b578062f95209
    A few people asked me for skillplanner versions. Don't think I posted this link before.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    A few people asked me for skillplanner versions. Don't think I posted this link before.

Crew recovery nurses for doffs?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »

Nurse’s go in both ground and space slots and increase hull regeneration. Combine them with the hull regeneration from 2 part Discovery set and most of the tanking needed is covered without bridge officer healing.
    edited June 2019
    so what trait would you suggest as a replacement for reverberation, since 1b+ EC is well out of reach of most people (including me for the moment) who might be willing to try a mine build now that it's getting more and more viable

also doesn't help that there weren't any amaries on the exchange when i checked recently​​

#LegalizeAwoo

so what trait would you suggest as a replacement for reverberation, since 1b+ EC is well out of reach of most people (including me for the moment) who might be willing to try a mine build now that it's getting more and more viable

also doesn't help that there weren't any amaries on the exchange when i checked recently​​
    Do you have Ceaseless Momentum, it should be cheap at the moment. Reverberation is not really needed, to be honest I am struggling to find some really good must have standout Starship traits for mines.
    yeah, that area's a little...lacking

but mine meta is still young - plenty of time to release good ones​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Nurse’s go in both ground and space slots and increase hull regeneration. Combine them with the hull regeneration from 2 part Discovery set and most of the tanking needed is covered without bridge officer healing.

Expected it was for Hull recovery, but the nurses in skill planner clearly said "Crew Recovery" .
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    yeah, the skill planner never updated the text - it's hull recovery​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Going back to the traits, how about these instead of reverberation:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Explosive_Polarity_Shift
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Load_Viral_Torpedo

First one to damage opponents you keep close anyway.

Second one for the disable.
    Would be even better if it works with mines. Wiki doesn't mention it, but mine facts tend to be overlooked in the wiki.
    Going back to the traits, how about these instead of reverberation:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Explosive_Polarity_Shift
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Load_Viral_Torpedo

First one to damage opponents you keep close anyway.

Second one for the disable.
    Would be even better if it works with mines. Wiki doesn't mention it, but mine facts tend to be overlooked in the wiki.
    The problem with Explosive Polarity Shift is it only triggers around about once every 1 minuet and it’s very hard to control the trigger so the explosion happens at the right moment. I played around with it a little and only got very low damage out of it.
    It might work better on a build stacked into exotic with reverse tractor repulser.

another problem with EPS is that it works off RSP - which requires you being fired on...from what i've heard described here, a mine build done correctly shouldn't give enemies a chance to fire back many times, if at all​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited June 2019
    another problem with EPS is that it works off RSP - which requires you being fired on...from what i've heard described here, a mine build done correctly shouldn't give enemies a chance to fire back many times, if at all​​

I think that is a misconception. Mine builds can do spike damage, but it is ultimately about controlling the battlefield.
    While it can be done from a distance with the new relocate mines power, one should count on being in the middle of a brawl.
    That is why the build focused on hull healing and had reverse shield polarity.

Played with a mine build on my T6 nebula today. Pretty efficient.
    I like to use this trait: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Tachyon_Dispersal since i also have drain expertise.
    Personal preference is that i tend to use the trico cluster instead of the breen cluster due to the stun effect of the trico.
    so how about the S31 mines now? you said back on the 8th you were 2 days out from unlocking them, and it's 4 days from that point, so you should have them now and have time to test them​​

#LegalizeAwoo

so how about the S31 mines now? you said back on the 8th you were 2 days out from unlocking them, and it's 4 days from that point, so you should have them now and have time to test them​​
    There is still a lot of testing I would like to do. At the moment I have only used them with 1 ship in ISA only which isn’t really a fair test to make a finial judgement. Based on ISA runs over the past few days with and without mine consoles they are good but not as good as my best Quantum’s. They are outperforming all my other mines even x3 radius Photons and the blade mines are far better than they look.

On my Styx when trying to beat my own DPS scores I have gone back to full Quantum’s. For wider content on my Vorgon Cruiser I will be using Blackops mines in the 4th or 5th slot. I have kind of hit a problem where my HSE DPS is going up and up as I get better at piloting while my ISA DPS has hit a wall and is stuck in the 240k range. At this rate my HSE might overtake my ISA DPS! There is now less then a 40k gap.

Anyone using web mines should consider replacing the Web mines with Blackops mines. Blade mines at a glance don’t look very good as it’s a 60 second DoT and nothing lasts 60seconds. What the text doesn’t explain is the blade mines are a physical object and after the target dies the mines move onto a new target. This give them better performance than you would expect from reading the tooltip.

Blade mines look good and are really fun to use. They spin and act pretty similar to the episode we watched on TV. I think they will work better on a Vorgon ship due to them moving between targets faster. Which is on my to do test list.
    From todays patch
    "•Resolved an issue that was causing Blackout Mines to deal zero damage if the foe had no shields equipped."
    "•Resolved an issue that was causing Blade Mines to trigger Kemocite-Laced Weaponry on every tick of its Hull Slice ability.

Not sure if that's a nerf, boost or it balances out to be the same performance.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I tried them out just because of the patch and things died a lot. But that was pre-patch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    well, if you don't actually use kemo, it's a pure buff​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Uh, well, I just wanted to see how bad having the mines hit ME with Kemo would be.

Pottsey left out that this change also fixes a bug that prevents them from doing friendly fire damage for no reason.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2019
    Only done one ISA run which isn't ideal and the changes balanced out so far. (I run kemo) noticeable increase to blackout mine DPS, noticeable decrease in blade mines, overall DPS around about the same.

For comparison with +mine tac consoles.

34k Modulation Quantum
    21k Thoron Quantum
    16k Transphasic
    11k Black Ops (8.8 blackout, 2.3k Blade)

EDIT: Just ran a SBA and noticed what the problem is. Its not that the Black Ops have poor damage. My Quantum have been pushed to extreme levels of high damage and as they move faster they kill the target before the Black Ops hit. If I didn't have Quantums the Black Ops would be hitting and doing way more damage.

SBA

10.6k Thoron Quantum
    9.8k Modulation Quantum
    5.9k Transphasic
    5.7k Black Ops (4.5blackout, 1.2k Blade)
    is that a plain transphasic mine or the cluster torpedo?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

is that a plain transphasic mine or the cluster torpedo?​​
    Cluster with cooldown reduction from Con Firepower. I also had the Chroniton Cluster but DPS was so low it wasn't worth mentioning.