test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spring/Summer Roadmap!

1234568»

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You do know that CBS is going all in on Star Trek:

CBS announced a brand new dedicated Star Trek division, a global franchise group “that will manage and maximize the expansion of the “Star Trek” brand beyond the traditional boundaries of linear broadcasting and streaming.”
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    You do know that CBS is going all in on Star Trek:

CBS announced a brand new dedicated Star Trek division, a global franchise group “that will manage and maximize the expansion of the “Star Trek” brand beyond the traditional boundaries of linear broadcasting and streaming.”

Yet somehow, I'm pretty sure they'll still get it wrong.

But Back to the road map, Yay, Leveling ships Tuesday! Woohoo!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Paramount had nothing to do with The Dominion, or DS9. It's all CBS.
    Um, until 2005, Paramount had full control over the Star Trek IP - so sorry, you're incorrect here as DS9 ran from 1993-1999 and was fully produced by, and at Paramount Studios.
    Your statement is inaccurate. When Viacom sold off their properties, Paramount got the Trek movies and novels, while CBS got the Trek TV rights. That's not really terribly uncommon - as another example, Warner Brothers holds all rights to the Babylon 5 IP, with the sole exception of movie rights (which are held by the show's creator, J. Michael Straczynski). That's why we're not seeing a B5 revival, reboot, or reissuing with updated CGI, because the division of WB that got the TV rights, the Prime Time Entertainment Network (PTEN), ruffled the feathers of senior WB executives, who responded by basically embargoing the rights to anything PTEN controlled. (This is no small annoyance to JMS, who would love to either see the show revived or the followon series Crusade rebooted, but who can't do anything with it whatsoever. He refuses to try a Kickstarter for a theatrical production, as he feels it's unjust to expect the fans to pay the tens to hundreds of millions of dollars a decent movie version would cost, and he doesn't have the rights to do anything else.)

There are rumors that Viacom may yet emerge from the grave and reclaim those rights, reunifying them under a single company again, but as those rumors have been floating around since about the turn of the century I'm not holding my breath.
    To be perfectly honest, what's the point of the splintering of CBS/Viacom in the days of mega entertainment mergers, like Disney/Fox Entertainment and AT&T/Time-Warner?

They might as well as get their act together.
    Viacom purchased the Trek rights from Desilu Studios, as part of another deal. Much later, they were experiencing severe financial difficulties, and started the process of dissolving the company. In the process, they sold movie and novel rights for Trek to Paramount Studios, and TV and certain other ancillary rights to CBS.

It happens sometimes that a firm comes back from insolvency; if Viacom manages the trick, one of the first things on their agenda will almost certainly be to regain the rights to Trek.
    I'm kinda wondering if TAS is part of the TV rights that CBS has.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    Viacom purchased the Trek rights from Desilu Studios, as part of another deal.
    Incorrect back in the day Paramount/Gulf +Western was the company that purchased Desilu studios in 1967. Viacom didn't exist until 1971.

Paramount/Gulf+Western reorganized into Paramount Communications in 1989. Viacom purchased Paramount Communications in 1994.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I'm kinda wondering if TAS is part of the TV rights that CBS has.
    According to Cryptic they have the ability to use stuff from TAS, so it apparently is.
    I wish they could use the Orion ship designs from TAS.

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Come on guys. posting who has the rights to this or that. Who bought what from whom and when isn't posting about STO roadmap. Sorry but I hate it when threads go off topic. Makes the mods jobs more harder having to filter out posts that aren't relevant to the thread. Be kind to our mods. They do it completely of their own free will and time. I know been there done it from years ago.