test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cutscene weapons

bluejaye1bluejaye1 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
I'm really hoping this is a bug that just hasn't been reported.

Could something be done about the cutscene weapons?
For a long time whatever weapons I and my away team are carrying, are replaced with fleet weapons in the cutscenes. MACO phaser rifles replaced with fleet phaser pistols or rifles.
It does sort of bollox up the cutscene and look a bit naff. Especially when I have never bought fleet ground weapons.
Star Trek Offline is currently online. We apologise for the convenience and are working to remedy the situation.

Comments

• alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I saw that as well yesterday, suddenly my boffs and myself had romulan weapons in cutscenes (it was on a romulan toon), while they shouldn't have those.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    My thing is the weapon models for rifles/whatnot float for the the second hand, like they are larger than they used to be, but the connection points that the hands attach are based on the original sizes, and then just look wrong..
  • xanthor1xanthor1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    It's been this way forever.
    If I had to guess it's most likely that the cut scenes are prescript-ed with race standard weapons and doesn't check what is slotted in the personal inventory of you or your away team.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Yeah it's race based default animations, the Foundry used to have some of those avaible. As it's been already point it's much easier to program the animations to use the same pre-scripted weapons, after all not all ranged player weapons act alike and then you might have players who have no ranged weapons what so ever.

It is simply far easier for players gain "default" weapon for cutscenes if they need to use a weapon and STO isn't the only one that does that Mass Effect had a default pistol you used just for threatening people in outside of combat (you couldn't use that pistol in combat and it didn't count as equipment).

Or in WoW while you use your equipted weapon, you always use basic melee even if your character is a caster (and thus their melee attacks hit as hard as soft pillow). IIRC FF14 uses something similar.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    In Brushfire the cutscene where you and your officers grapple through the elevator shaft shows the weapons you have equipped being used, seeming to fire the grappling hooks, so it can definitely be done. I specifically remember my captain holding the CRM 200 over her head like it was nothing then getting whisked away.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    In Brushfire the cutscene where you and your officers grapple through the elevator shaft shows the weapons you have equipped being used, seeming to fire the grappling hooks, so it can definitely be done. I specifically remember my captain holding the CRM 200 over her head like it was nothing then getting whisked away.
    Obviously it can be done as our characters are the same model of the cutscenes as it is for normal gameplay, though the Brushfire case is obviously a bug as it should show the grapple launcher. That said it's not a case "it can never be done" but rather "it's far too much work to make sure this cutscene works for every possible weapon in the game and makes sense".
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • legionexxodlegionexxod Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Theres another thing (which may be part of the same thing)... on each characters selection screen you have all your custom looks and outfit displayed but not your weapons, I've made each of my characters on a theme and it seems somewhat distracting that i dont see all the work ive put into it on the selection screen.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Weapons have different styles of holding them, different stances etc.

It's too complex for a cutscene, so they use pre-scripted weapons in the animations that are the "default" for the faction.