test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (teaser)

1235»

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    dreadnought is not a modern naval ship type either...despite so many instances of sci-fi using it as one while also following naval classification otherwise perfectly

it stopped being used after WW1​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    dreadnought is not a modern naval ship type either...despite so many instances of sci-fi using it as one while also following naval classification otherwise perfectly

it stopped being used after WW1​​

I don't think it's required that the ship type has to be "modern".

It seems to me the dreadnought is basically just a type that a modern navy doesn't need. Or, maybe, isn't even possible anymore. I mean, the name literally suggests "fear nothing", but what lone ship class could say that from it now?
    There is always a air-to-ship missile or torpedo that could sink your ship, and probably no one is going to try sink your ship with cannons.

With Sci-fi space combat, you could of course decide otherwise.
    In Star Wars it doesn't seem like there are ship-killer missiles or torpedoes*. You always need a large amount of bombs or torpedoes do take out any ship, so "Dreadnought" might still have a somewhat meaningful role.

*) Well, with TLJ, I expect the rapid development of Holdo-Class Hyper-Space Missiles that can actually do that... Well, if the Resistance somehow finds the resources to build them, if not, they'll probably be developed by someone else and carry another name, maybe Tarkin-Class Hypers-Space Missile.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    they did - it's called the conquerer​​

Trading Card Games don't count and the Darksaber in the novels never worked.

Legends also had the Eclipse Super Star Destroyer, the superlaser was less powerful than the one on the Death Star but it could still devastate an entire planet, it just couldn't completely destroy it like the Death Star .
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »
    It would be interesting if the Empire could take out the Planet Destroyer weapon system of the Death Star and equip it on something the size of a Star Destroyer. Would be able to buy a few Planet-Destroyer Star Destroyers for the price of one Death Star. The Star Destroyer name seems slightly idiotic when it can't even destroy a planet.
    It is a Star Destroyer in the same sense a Starship is a Starship. It's a prefix to indicate it's something in space. A starship doesn't actually ship stars. A Star Destroyer isn't something that destroys stars, it's a destroyer flying between the stars.

Of course, it's also a horrible misnomer for its role by naval standards.
    It could probably be called something like "Star Flight Deck Cruiser" or "Star Cruiser" or "Star Dreadnought" or "Star Carrier"...

It's not a destroyer by navel standards because it's not a ship. It's a starship, it's a destroyer because it destroys things. They're also bigger than cruisers because destroy is a stronger word than cruise.
    The big ones are even called Super-Star Destroyers and the smaller ones are Light Destroyers because they're not weight classes like a Navy, they're just descriptions of what they do.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So that "hiatus" has an announced endpoint already.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/three-star-wars-films-added-164910115.html

2 years, and not even that long because the first one will have to start filming early next year to make the announced release date.

So from 2021 to 2027 each Christmas is going to alternate between star wars and avatar, interesting.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Given that the next trilogy is going to come from the guys who ran Game of Thrones, I just hope Disney insists that they have to light each scene well enough that you can see what the characters are doing.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I honestly don't care at all about Avatar, the first one was abysmal.

It was alright... but it was pretty much Pocahantas in Space.
    There is no confirmation if the next trilogy will be from the GoT guys or from Rian Johnson, both are developing a new trilogy and as yet it has not been officially announced which one is up first.

After Ep 7 do you really expect Disney to let Johnson anywhere NEAR Star Wars?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Given that the next trilogy is going to come from the guys who ran Game of Thrones, I just hope Disney insists that they have to light each scene well enough that you can see what the characters are doing.

There is no confirmation if the next trilogy will be from the GoT guys or from Rian Johnson, both are developing a new trilogy and as yet it has not been officially announced which one is up first.
    Actually, it has been confirmed. Rian Johnson is still developing his trilogy as well; apparently it will be the trilogy to follow this one.

('Cause a long-term contract I have signed,
    We're gonna make these movies 'til the end of time
    With my Yoda,
    Y-O-D-A, Yoda...

- Weird Al Yankovic, "Yoda")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I honestly don't care at all about Avatar, the first one was abysmal.

It was alright... but it was pretty much Pocahantas in Space.

After Ep 7 do you really expect Disney to let Johnson anywhere NEAR Star Wars?

Why wouldn't they? It was a successful film. I don't know if Johnson himself would want to do one after the flaming hatred thrown at him by the toxic sewage that litters the internet but unless they're actually concerned for his safety Disney has no reason not to put the director of a successful film onto new work for them.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Given that the next trilogy is going to come from the guys who ran Game of Thrones, I just hope Disney insists that they have to light each scene well enough that you can see what the characters are doing.

Space is dark. And no one can hear you scream.

They'll double down on it. Probably good for cost-cutting!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    jonsills wrote: »

Providing they don't hire the DP of Solo it should be light enough.

#TASforSTO

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    I think Avatar was more Dances With Wolves than Pocahontas.

But even more than that... a story about a crippled guy who is chosen to receive an alien body, and while at first he's clueless and dismissive of the alien culture, he eventually embraces it to the point that he falls in love with an alien lady and sides with the aliens when the relationship with the humans goes sour due to human greed. By the end, he thinks of himself as one of the aliens rather than a human. I am speaking, of course, of Timothy Zahn's 2002 novel, Manta's Gift. Way better than Avatar, with more interesting aliens and a more interesting world (Jupiter), and no clueless hamfisted attempt at a green aesop.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

But even more than that... a story about a crippled guy who is chosen to receive an alien body, and while at first he's clueless and dismissive of the alien culture, he eventually embraces it to the point that he falls in love with an alien lady and sides with the aliens when the relationship with the humans goes sour due to human greed. By the end, he thinks of himself as one of the aliens rather than a human. I am speaking, of course, of Timothy Zahn's 2002 novel, Manta's Gift. Way better than Avatar, with more interesting aliens and a more interesting world (Jupiter), and no clueless hamfisted attempt at a green aesop.
    You mean you didn't think of "Fern Gully: the last Rainforest"?

Synopsis: evul loggers are clearcutting the planet and must be stopped! The main character was a kid fresh out of high school who was nominally employed by the evul guys. Then he learns forests are good after getting shrunken and abducted by the fairies living there. Oh and the center of the forest houses a magic tree that was grown to imprison a pollution monster. Guess how many pieces it ends up in?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User

Synopsis: evul loggers are clearcutting the planet and must be stopped! The main character was a kid fresh out of high school who was nominally employed by the evul guys. Then he learns forests are good after getting shrunken and abducted by the fairies living there. Oh and the center of the forest houses a magic tree that was grown to imprison a pollution monster. Guess how many pieces it ends up in?

Yeah, that's another common comparison I've seen. Actually, as overblown as Ferngully's conservation message was, I think it was still better than Avatar's. No Magical Native Americans, and the loggers aren't so much evil as they don't really understand what they're destroying. Still had that whole irrational "spirit of nature" thing going on, though...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Yeah, that's another common comparison I've seen. Actually, as overblown as Ferngully's conservation message was, I think it was still better than Avatar's. No Magical Native Americans, and the loggers aren't so much evil as they don't really understand what they're destroying. Still had that whole irrational "spirit of nature" thing going on, though...
    Well, the locals in Fern Gully were literally magic fairies, sooo….
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes, and as i recall...the law passed - but good luck actually enforcing it, especially given most memes originate in america​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.