test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback on Plausibility of the Possible

xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
Again, I seem to be unable to find the official feedback thread, my apologies. Feel free to move and merge this where it belongs.

Not a bad one, absolutely not. While pretty bog standard gameplay wise (though this might be the first time I remember we could cut a timer short in a mission) and a tad on the easy side compared to the earlier DSC missions, it works well and the story told is solid, somewhat ambiguous with a nice twist and a nice lack-of-a-twist-everybody-was-expecting.

Really outstanding were the animation improvements (at least to me they were new) like Lorca's wink after being "saved" or the animated antennae of our Andorian friend. Also some nice small gems (like Patel and Landry talking about "singlehandedly winning the war and getting promoted to fleet admiral). Character models were also really great - I just replayed "Everything Old is New" a short while ago and was a bit annoyed by the faces of random Star Fleet personnel (the right lady you need to scan for Bones especially stands out), this is the exact opposite.
My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    "It's just a Klingon, let him fall."
    Yes, and a priority 1 target with information vital to the war effort. But who cares about that, right? You're just the warden and orders are nothing more than suggestions on how to proceed. Sometimes, the writing is just aweful.

But I agree. Animations were great and it was a lot of fun fighting alongside Lorca.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Colour schemes for the generic scan minigames are nauseatingly horrible, red or red with yellow.

Does kind of look like captain lorca shifts in his seat to let a TRIBBLE out during one of his comms, body moves to one side and he kind of grimaces for no other reason.

If communications are being monitored by the klinks, announcing over the unsecure airwaves that my ship will be going to the top secret classified prison/torture camp is grounds for demotion or court martial. Also Landry says she's coming over before her captain asks if its alright for her to do so. Not only that once on board she wants to take the helm, because somehow my own pilot isn't good enough to fly to a point in space. Doesn't she understand basic protocols (or manners)?

Apparently my captain also likes to ignore protocols, for plot reasons.

During the prison section the fed npc's don't engage in combat half the time and are ignored by the attackers. Klinks run into the player (no other fed side character) when using rifles yet the odd melee ones stay at range.

Julie seems to have had her prosthetics worked on as her words aren't as mangled as previous encounters. Good entrance even if she forgot to collect her blade on the way past, girl like that probably has spares.

Fairly standard mission gameplay wise but the dressing up wasn't too bad. Generic rewards from completion is a black mark but continuing the theme that started coming in with VIL with no loot drops that aren't gambleboxes and rather bland rewards.

From looking at the episodes list it seems like the disco arc is being trickle fed into the game in reverse order.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="xyquarze;d-1248905"
    Really outstanding were the animation improvements (at least to me they were new) like Lorca's wink after being "saved" or the animated antennae of our Andorian friend. Also some nice small gems (like Patel and Landry talking about "singlehandedly winning the war and getting promoted to fleet admiral). Character models were also really great - I just replayed "Everything Old is New" a short while ago and was a bit annoyed by the faces of random Star Fleet personnel (the right lady you need to scan for Bones especially stands out), this is the exact opposite.[/quote]
    Completely agree... of course, I was also overcome with a degree of giddiness, when our "Andorian friend" started brandishing a pair of ushaan-tor...

God, please let animated antennae and ushaan-tor be incorporated for playable Andorians...

• centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    It's set up from the get-go that Warden Vosker does not care about the Klingons or anything but his own gratification and is only there to have a place where he can ignore regs when he sees fit. "He's just a Klingon. Let him fall" is completely within character for him and is a reflection of his hatred and cowardice.

Not trying to justify the action just explain its inclusion.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It's set up from the get-go that Warden Vosker does not care about the Klingons or anything but his own gratification and is only there to have a place where he can ignore regs when he sees fit. "He's just a Klingon. Let him fall" is completely within character for him and is a reflection of his hatred and cowardice.

Not trying to justify the action just explain its inclusion.
    Though it does make you wonder if Vosker has dirt on someone in SF HQ so that he's allowed to be there as the warden and not as one of the prisoners.
    The way he talks it comes across as though he was given the wardens job by a likeminded person or persons higher up the food chain.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    My biggest issue with these new episodes is that my Captain is just a 'tag along'.

The story isn't about him/her anymore, it's all about the Discovery characters.

Now I understand these are holodeck recreations, but even so, I felt I could have just read the ops report and gotten more character growth for MY character. Because isn't that what this game is about? (Not watching NPCs do a bunch of stuff?)
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    I think it's rather appropriate actually. At this point in time a DSC Character would only be a lieutenant. This takers place right after the tutorial missions for said character and Lorca and Landry make reference to Schaeffer as those events just happened.

And if you want growth then you've got that as well. You character goes from lieutenant on a resupply mission to high-priority prisoner transport to making a last stand against an approaching Klingon fleet. This is the mission where your character truly goes from rookie to a game changing officer, if you'll pardon the pun.

I can't comment on the next mission, but this one certainly was not "all about the Discovery characters." I'm rather glad that NPC's are being given more life and personality. It makes the STO galaxy seem more like a place where others live rather than an MMO full of NPC's.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    I think it's rather appropriate actually. At this point in time a DSC Character would only be a lieutenant. This takers place right after the tutorial missions for said character and Lorca and Landry make reference to Schaeffer as those events just happened.

And if you want growth then you've got that as well. You character goes from lieutenant on a resupply mission to high-priority prisoner transport to making a last stand against an approaching Klingon fleet. This is the mission where your character truly goes from rookie to a game changing officer, if you'll pardon the pun.

I can't comment on the next mission, but this one certainly was not "all about the Discovery characters." I'm rather glad that NPC's are being given more life and personality. It makes the STO galaxy seem more like a place where others live rather than an MMO full of NPC's.

IF, and I emphasize IF, you are playing a Discovery character only, do you actually 'participate'.

Every other captain in the game is simply a glorified bystander in these two missions.
    Looking at the episode list they seem to be doing the disco arc out of sequence which has really got me thinking there's no real point in playing the missions until they actually complete the arc and somehow cobble together a coherent storyline.

How that will happen I'm not sure as individual stories they do their own thing but nothing jumps out as being the glue to tie it all together other than the disco branding.
    Looking at the episode list they seem to be doing the disco arc out of sequence which has really got me thinking there's no real point in playing the missions until they actually complete the arc and somehow cobble together a coherent storyline.

How that will happen I'm not sure as individual stories they do their own thing but nothing jumps out as being the glue to tie it all together other than the disco branding.

There is a theme of sorts, though it is rather vague.

The theme being our captain's growth from a "we need all COs and ships we got and you're the best we got avaible at this point" replacement to someone who will be remembered as hero for all the things he did culminating in the sacrifice at Starbase 1. As far as 2250s Starfleet knows our ship was lost with all hands along with rather large portion of House Mo'kai fleet when J'Ula weapon backfired on her.

That is for DSC captains.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Vosker wasn’t the problem so much as the writing of his character. I know it’s just a video game, but maybe the writers can set their goals a little higher than ham fisted. Good grief. Anyone not on board the cringy “We....Are....Starfleet!” gang is a one dimensional Neanderthal. How about giving these people a little depth?

Although, I have to say, when he rolled his eyes after that woman kept going on about “That’s not who we are.” deal, he became one of my favorite characters.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Loved it great mission thank you
    This is odd, I can see on the main page that Berserker has commented after me but when I look at this thread I don't see the comment. Is this because I am new to the forum?
    Nah it's more like that one after you got caught by the edit monster.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Rendition.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    My honest opinion:

I found i to be boring and the usual repetitive space/ground combat, with a few reasonable cut-scenes mixed in.

The maps were nothing fancy, just standard fair space and ground combat arenas basically, and we'd already seen plenty of the space one at the start from a 2-week grind-fest for the featured TFO.

The cut-scenes were ok, the animations were better but I found a lot of the sounds were not synchronized with the actual onscreen images. Plus it's a bit silly when you have a good moment of tension in a cut-scene like when they drag Landry free of that debris and the music is just bland, boring STO-basic background music; it just kills the tension by making it feel unimportant.#

The combat is space was pretty standard, but I found my weapons pretty ineffective for some reason (probably due to lag i suspect). That meant the combat took too long and drawn out combats just shooting sponges are seriously dull.
    The ground combat was pretty terrible I found, mainly because something seems to have pretty much halved the effectiveness of my ground gear in terms of damage output since the patch on Tuesday. No idea what has happened but me and my boffs were useless in combat, getting stomped endlessly as if we were level 1 players armed with sticks. It was dull, drawn out and frustrating.

To be honest I just found it all really boring and it didn't excite me at all. I logged out afterwards despite having time to play the next episode as it just didn't entice me in the slightest.
    SulMatuul.png
This discussion has been closed.