test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Calm Amidst the Storm"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Fraternizing within Starfleet isn't forbidden, but it's never easy. Amna Patel and Ellen Landry learn that firsthand in our latest fiction blog.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11159863

Comments

• tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Makes ya wonder what Mirror Patel's life was like before being Security Chief under Killy's Command?
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Patel is so dead

Considering she's a crew member of the Buran, so unless she's seconded on duty off-the-ship it's no secret that she'll be dead by the end of the storyline as the Buran was lost with all hands (all survivors were not on the ship when it went down).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Patel is so dead

Yup. And thus Hardass, Angry Landry.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • val#9932 val Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Fingerless gloves, really!?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    let's hope this blog doesn't trigger another forum meltdown like the one that happened in the aftermath of House Pegh's release...that was horrible​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • simpleenthusiast#3086 simpleenthusiast Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I really, really, really, hope this doesn't turn into a "bury your gays" trope.... we had enough of that in Discovery already.|

Edit: wow really? that's censored? okay then
    Lore posts are great, but give us real info first please!
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I really, really, really, hope this doesn't turn into a "bury your TRIBBLE" trope.... we had enough of that in Discovery already.|

Hmmm, I always thought that "TRIBBLE" was the in-thing for people to use for self-censoring.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    let's hope this blog doesn't trigger another forum meltdown like the one that happened in the aftermath of House Pegh's release...that was horrible​​

Its the Forums Shadow. ANY excuse for a meltdown. Hell... there was a frickin' meltdown after Facility 4028 because the prision AI was named ISIS. Someone outright DEMANDED that be changed because of the Terrorist group. Guess people also forget about the Ancient Egyptian Goddess who had that name FIRST.

So yea... bet there will be a meltdown of some kind.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Up until that point, we really didn't hear much of a lezvian Klingon couple, so it was unexpected. With STDisco, it's a free for all, so I doubt we will see a meltdown like House Pegh.

Edit: Wow, so we are redacting words with TRIBBLE. There's something you don't see every day.

18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Hey folks - I didn't realize "TRIBBLE" and "gays" were censored on the forum - from before my time. I know WHY, but I'm uncensoring them for now unless we get a flood of people being really immature and using those words as insults.
    about time someone does something about that...while you're at it, how about removing the word s.crew from the censor as well...because seriously, it's a COMMON word that happens to also have a vulgar use as slang​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Try talking about how to open a door. Or the author of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? :lol:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    I really, really, really, hope this doesn't turn into a "bury your gays" trope.... we had enough of that in Discovery already.|

Honestly I had no problems with Culbert's death in season 1 of Discovery, he died because he was the MD who discovered Voq, just because he was also a TRIBBLE man shouldn't make him immortal. Honestly brinning back Culbert was in my honest option one of the biggest missteps of season 2. In my opinion it would been much better to show Stamets slowly getting over his grief while still remaining TRIBBLE, aka treat it like you would a straight relationship. Personally I see the "TRIBBLE characters cannot die" as dark mirror of the "bury the gays", "bury the gays" isn't "a TRIBBLE character dies", but rather "a TRIBBLE character dies as punishment for being TRIBBLE".

Now we know Landry will die due to her own stupidy of taunting a creature she knew can tear thru starship bulkheads, as for Petel again we know that she'll most likely die since she's a crewmember of the Buran a ship we know is lost with all hands.

In the end it depends on how it's depicted, if it's depicted so that Petel's death seems like a punishment towards Landry for choosing another woman as her partner then it's a bad thing. However if it's depicted in such a way that Petel's gender is irrelevant to the story and it's more about loosing a loved one regardless of gender it's not as bad.

Oh and before you accuse me of anything I'm bi so I'd rather see discrimination towards LGBTQ+ people end but I also know making them "something that needs to be sheltered and protected at all costs" isn't the way to do it.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    The blog mentions Conestoga-class transports. Is this the class name for the troop transports we've seen in the last TFO?
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
    edited May 2019
    woerligen wrote: »
    The blog mentions Conestoga-class transports. Is this the class name for the troop transports we've seen in the last TFO?
    possibly, or it could be a reference to TOS, either way a nice touch.

EDIT:could we please get the common terms for men and women who attracted to the same gender uncensored at least for this thread, as it makes discussing the blog rather painful when it has that style of relationship but you cannot discuss it without half you post being censored.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • lorien506lorien506 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Honestly I had no problems with Culbert's death in season 1 of Discovery, he died because he was the MD who discovered Voq, just because he was also a TRIBBLE man shouldn't make him immortal. Honestly brinning back Culbert was in my honest option one of the biggest missteps of season 2. In my opinion it would been much better to show Stamets slowly getting over his grief while still remaining TRIBBLE, aka treat it like you would a straight relationship. Personally I see the "TRIBBLE characters cannot die" as dark mirror of the "bury the gays", "bury the gays" isn't "a TRIBBLE character dies", but rather "a TRIBBLE character dies as punishment for being TRIBBLE".

Now we know Landry will die due to her own stupidy of taunting a creature she knew can tear thru starship bulkheads, as for Petel again we know that she'll most likely die since she's a crewmember of the Buran a ship we know is lost with all hands.

In the end it depends on how it's depicted, if it's depicted so that Petel's death seems like a punishment towards Landry for choosing another woman as her partner then it's a bad thing. However if it's depicted in such a way that Petel's gender is irrelevant to the story and it's more about loosing a loved one regardless of gender it's not as bad.

Oh and before you accuse me of anything I'm bi so I'd rather see discrimination towards LGBTQ+ people end but I also know making them "something that needs to be sheltered and protected at all costs" isn't the way to do it.

I absolutely agree with you, thank you. I am "TRIBBLE" myself and I can't stand it, that in 2019 this is again treated by the media and Hollywood in particular in our days as something outstanding and a character trade that is somewhat special. All this current ongoing debate about progressiveness and political correctness is so outdated in my mind. We had all this in the 1990s and I really thought we covered all of it and got passed it. I can't stand it any more that this got so viral and now it seems it is an integral part of every other movie/game or comic that is published these days. Can't we just have nice things again that aren't covered in this political agenda?
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    lorien506 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with you, thank you. I am "TRIBBLE" myself and I can't stand it, that in 2019 this is again treated by the media and Hollywood in particular in our days as something outstanding and a character trade that is somewhat special. All this current ongoing debate about progressiveness and political correctness is so outdated in my mind. We had all this in the 1990s and I really thought we covered all of it and got passed it. I can't stand it any more that this got so viral and now it seems it is an integral part of every other movie/game or comic that is published these days. Can't we just have nice things again that aren't covered in this political agenda?

Banner waving for the sake of banner waving, that's exactly what it is. It's not about a cause, it's about making a buck off of it. Don't think I ever hit the escape button faster watching that cutscene with them two in it.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Can't we just have nice things again that aren't covered in this political agenda?

please describe these 'nice things' in great detail.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Banner waving for the sake of banner waving, that's exactly what it is.

Nope.
    It's not about a cause, it's about making a buck off of it.

Or depicting a normal life situation, giving characters a background, things that happen in fiction. The whole scenario could play out just the same with a heterosexual couple (either being the male), or an all male pairing. So why not hetero? Well, no reason to, same as there is no reason not to sometimes not pick hetero.

Whoopsie.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User

Don't YOU think this is rather reverse stereotyping? Strong and independent women.. those have to be TRIBBLE! (Not my opinion, but that is how it is portrayed.. again!)
    Is this even something from Discovery or even necessary for the development of the story line?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    i literally have no idea what the TRIBBLE you are even ranting about, but i really, REALLY do not appreciate being falsely accused of stereotyping ANYONE

you have 10 minutes to retract that post before i report it for flaming​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    I find it ironic that in expressing concern that flaming not start over the inclusion of the Landry/Patel romantic relationship, that it seems to have done just that. So, can we just not do that and move on, please? Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited May 2019
    Since the ten minutes have passed i take it you unnecessarily made a report about flaming. It was neither an insult nor a flame, but a question.

When women were first starting to chase a career it was often falsely suggested that they would not be interested in men. Do you feel that the link between the strong and independent female characters and their relationship mirrors that old unjust stereotype? With both there is a link between female success and their preferences.
    That is what i meant with the reverse stereotype.

Something similar happened in the episode of house Pegh where one of the Klingon women had a rather abrasive personality while the other had a soft personality. That is also a stereotype how that type of relation between women is often portrayed.

While i feel that the intentions of the writers are good, the way it is brought forwards is IMO not helpful in eliminating various stereotypes.

Edit: Missed baddmoonrizin his post while i was trying to carefully phrase my post. No foul intended.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    summoning the trolls was indeed a terrible idea. i think this thread would have actually skated by had that not been done.

for questerius - i mean, we don't know enough about Landry in the show. She was one of the least developed characters for me. I guess they're trying to give her some story here. I guess Michael is a pretty good independent hetero.

But this all makes me say, man Janeway was awesome.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Why should strong women not be g.ay? What's wrong with it?

I mean, my niece and her wife are both professionals in their fields, and are also into muay thai, with my niece parlaying that into amateur MMA contests - does that mean they shouldn't have gotten married, because they're both strong women?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Patel is so dead

Yup. And thus Hardass, Angry Landry.

There is always temporal recruitment..