test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rep Sets

pulpsmack#4226 pulpsmack Member Posts: 96 Arc User
I finally pushed ahead into T6 and started a couple of sets for most toons based on some established favorites: Iconian for AP, Terran for Disruptor builds (KDF?Card) and Gamma for Pol to be paired with Gamma or Kren Campaign sets.

Does Rep Diminish? I am pretty sure I had some T4-T5 Reps w some characters and went on hiatus for a few months. Coming back to grind I found T3-T4s and no T5 Celebration for a few toons once the meters filled (back?) up. I am wondering if this was my imagination or if this is in play (and if so, how?)

Terran is pairing with Naus Disruptor and House Martok sets (why red, BTW?!) and seems pretty solid. Ico AP is paired w ancient Ob (usually 2-pc to pair w Solonae). Gamma is the only one I went full bore with for the Jems (Ship weapons and Equipment sets) which was quite the grind for the 3 toons especially as they all predated the T6 Discount. Since my foot is now in the door, I have a few questions. Forgive the well-trodden ones, but things may change over time.

Are there any sets that are not worth it (IYO) as of this time? I get the whole "build-dependent" thing, but I imagine some things are not as good as they were and some may not be worth it at all.. It seems like Omega was the rage back when but maybe not so much, whereas Ico seems to be a mainstay. I have yet to hear anything about Rom and Undine really. Nukara? More like "WhoCara".... haven't heard a a word.

Are the Ship equipment sets worth the extra grind right now? A bit of a broad question, but from the perspective of spending time and Dil, is it better at first to stick with 2-3 weapon sets and upgrade with appropriate campaign sets for ship equipment, or is there anything really worth the grind for these builds?

Phasers... Rep Set(s), Campaign Sets (only), or forget about phasers? I like the Terran (disruptor) set which doubles well with KDF/Cardassian builds. Starfleet toons are stuck on ICO/AP right now. The Gamma set looks interesting to double for Pol or phaser... not so sure about the other sets though.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    The Quantum Phase Catalyst set from Sunrise is a great set for phaser builds. The torpedo is quite powerful and the array or DHC (depending on build) is really nice too. The three piece set gives you the Quantum Destabilizing Beam.

You can also get the Counter-Command Ordinance set from the Undine rep for either phaser or disruptor. You'll have to play Surface Tension to get the matching Tac console for it.

There's also a Fluidic Counter Assault ship set in the rep too.

I've used the weapon set, haven't tried the ship set, so I don't know about it. The weapon set should go with either a disruptor or phaser build.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    > Does Rep Diminish? I am pretty sure I had some T4-T5 Reps

No, but our memories do :)

Since you have too many alts to remember ;) don't forget about the T6 gear discount projects. 100 marks + 5 elite marks to cut marks + dil costs in half (but not elite marks). It pays for itself in 1-2 pieces of gear.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Yeah reputations diminish as punishment for not playing the game *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    Things to consider:

Prevailing Fortified Impulse Engines from the competitive are pretty much best in slot out of all engines in the game (they take a little getting used to, but after you do, your going to feel horribly slow using anything else.). So investing in any other engines may be a waist of your dilithium.

If you want to do high end conventional damage then you might chose the shield, warp core and deflector of the iconian or terran sets. If you go with the terran set you could also exchange its deflector for a fleet colony deflector instead.

If you want to do high end science damage then I recommend the Temporal Deflector and Warp Core with the competitive shield and engine.

If you want to do anything else just get whatever you like, so long as you're having fun it's all good.

When it comes to weapon and console sets here are some notable ones.

Terran Energy Weapon: Whether your using beams or cannons this thing is a beast, it doesn't need any set bonus. Its raw damage output is all the justification it needs.

Terran Console: Reduces the global cooldown on torpedoes, which can be a big deal if your one of the rare people experimenting with Torpedo Builds (They are fun, but a big investment.).

Gravimetric photon torpedo (Dyson Rep): Has a set bonus that boosts crit and creates AoE hazards. The two set with the proton weapon is fantastic for science damage builds.

Chronometric Calculations Set: This is awarded from the mission "Time and Tide". You can completely forget about it for most builds, but if your flying a science damage build its one of the best things you can do with your weapons slots due to its set bonus.

Romulan Hyper plasma torpedo: This thing isn't amazingly powerful, but its worthy of note for just looking awesome. Best used with projectile weapons officers. Bonus points for putting it on a ship with two hangers of scorpion fighters to produce MASSIVE PLASMA TORPEDO RAINS OF NOT AMAZINGLY EFFECTIVE BUT SUPER INTIMIDATING DEATH.

Experimental Romulan Beam Array: If your building a plasma or disruptor beam build then you should get this. It consumes no weapons power. That's a good thing.

• Options
    pulpsmack#4226 pulpsmack Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Thanks for the responses so far. I am doing what I can to take advantage of the t6 discounts now that I am aware of them.

I appreciate some of the build suggestions, and am a little surprised nobody has weighed in on what they think is outdated. Other than the Gamma sets for Jems, I am still running off Campaign sets, so I will have to evaluate some of these suggestions for builds.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Some of my characters use themed sets even if they are not the best choice. One captain has tetryon beams and the Nukara space and weapon sets, for his Tholian theme. Is it the best DPS choice? No. Is it fun to use? Yes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Does Rep Diminish? I am pretty sure I had some T4-T5 Reps w some characters and went on hiatus for a few months. Coming back to grind I found T3-T4s and no T5 Celebration for a few toons once the meters filled (back?) up. I am wondering if this was my imagination or if this is in play (and if so, how?)

Well, there is now a Tier 6 of Reputations, so the status of yor progress bar has shifted to the left (and not a small amount). There isn't exactly a celebration at Tier 5 - usually a contact reaches out and informs you of reaching Tier 5, and hands out the reward. (Or tells you what you need to do to get the reward. (Several Reps require you to watch some cut scenes or read a series of mission logs only available at certain locations.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Well, there is now a Tier 6 of Reputations, so the status of yor progress bar has shifted to the left (and not a small amount). There isn't exactly a celebration at Tier 5 - usually a contact reaches out and informs you of reaching Tier 5, and hands out the reward. (Or tells you what you need to do to get the reward. (Several Reps require you to watch some cut scenes or read a series of mission logs only available at certain locations.)
    Except Romulan. You have to do a proper story mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And Dyson, you have to rescue Nelen Exil. Doesn't Nakura make you go there for the Tier V Reward?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Yes, the Nukara person makes you come to them to get your T5 reward.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, those are quick and don't require you to do much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    True. Just go and talk to them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019

I appreciate some of the build suggestions, and am a little surprised nobody has weighed in on what they think is outdated. Other than the Gamma sets for Jems, I am still running off Campaign sets, so I will have to evaluate some of these suggestions for builds.

Min maxes in this game found that if you strife for some sort of performance optimum you end up installing a wild mix of gear from a whole lot of different sources (fleet, story, reputation, lobi/lock box, R&D).

Older stuff is sorted out and replaced by new stuff as it gets released and evaluated by our players, let it be theoretical numbers cruncher or high end piloting experts.

For me the DPS league is #1 source of information here as the collective minds of the bets PvE players see to it that I only need to bother with the few good items around and can ignore the countless useless gear options available.

If you like check out our site by clicking on the banner of my signature. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.