test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ground gameplay needs an overhaul

13»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    questerius wrote: »
    Seriously into engineer ground combat myself, but reaching the point where most new kit modules are just variants of already existing modules.
    Allowing access to older kit modules from other classes could give ground combat the kick in the pants it needs to avoid becoming stale.

Actually... we already have a little bit of that. There are some kit frames from the Research Lab that come with an innate cross class ability. So you can have an Engineer with say Vascular Regenerator, which is normally a Science module.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Seriously into engineer ground combat myself, but reaching the point where most new kit modules are just variants of already existing modules.
    Allowing access to older kit modules from other classes could give ground combat the kick in the pants it needs to avoid becoming stale.

Actually... we already have a little bit of that. There are some kit frames from the Research Lab that come with an innate cross class ability. So you can have an Engineer with say Vascular Regenerator, which is normally a Science module.

A little bit, but nothing substantial. The sonic pulse was actually more useful than the vascular. Engineers have more than enough options for healing already.
    As time progresses every class has gotten access to potent turrets (prism tower.. err turret) and mines while engineers have to watch all their goodies being distributed and getting almost nothing in return.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • cannibalchickencannibalchicken Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Ground combat is mostly fine - its issues lie in 3 areas:
    -No visible progress bars for ability activations
    -Lengthy aftercast periods for most kit modules
    -More realistic movement compared to competition in the MMO industry which, ironically enough, makes the combat/movement feel clunkier and more awkward. Arguably subjective, but the difference between simple movement in STO and, for instance, GW2 or even BDO is very noticeable, and, at least in my opinion, much worse in STO

At least IMO, changing at least the first 2 would go a long way toward improving the flow of ground combat.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Part of the problem with non instant abilities also comes from things just dying too fast. I think the damage vs health&shield proportions for both players and enemies/npcs is way off. Even the toughest enemies seem to go down in no more than a few seconds, which really hurts characters that rely on constructs or non instant abilities
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    BDO? What does an assurance, tax, financial advisory, and consulting services company have to do with Ground Combat? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Use Cold, Flash Freeze, etc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    The only ground I hate is the Defera Battlezone.
    Please give us some BOFFs for that Cryptic!
    It is rather illogical to send the Captain into a battle zone by himself!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, I love the tommy gun on Defera. Can slice through groups of drones like a hot knife through butter.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Me on Defera:
    tenor.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I also like to start off groups trying to assimilate the Deferi with something cold - Cold Fusion Flash, Cryo Grenade, and the like. Then those weapons listed above finish them off.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Me on Defera:
    tenor.gif

Close enough. Not even upgraded to get the MkXII (is that bug fixed yet ?)
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I dislike ground. I’d like to see it become a first person experience like that old Voyager title. Elite Force I believe. I’d like to activate powers like in Crysis.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    There is "shooter mode" which is as clunky as it sounds.

Even worse for console where aiming will snap to anything and everything within the oversized reticle regardless of allegiance, range or line of sight. And painful during missions where npc's tag along and insist on standing right in front of you all the time (martok on the kethi station is a prime example)

With honourable mention going to the "genius" that thought jump and interact being the same button was going to be a great idea. Pahvo ground has so much clutter that stops you moving jumping becomes standard method of motion yet doing so runs the risk of being punted back to the centre.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I dislike ground. I’d like to see it become a first person experience like that old Voyager title. Elite Force I believe. I’d like to activate powers like in Crysis.

I very much dislike first person. I prefer to see my entire av rather than just their hands.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Me on Defera:
    tenor.gif

Close enough. Not even upgraded to get the MkXII (is that bug fixed yet ?)

It comes out of the box as scaling. You have to the first upgrade to unlock it to Rare(Blue) Mk XII, this one is free.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    It was not free to XII when it first released. After the free it was X and then it required 'paid' Upgrades.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

A little bit, but nothing substantial. The sonic pulse was actually more useful than the vascular. Engineers have more than enough options for healing already.
    As time progresses every class has gotten access to potent turrets (prism tower.. err turret) and mines while engineers have to watch all their goodies being distributed and getting almost nothing in return.
    Sompek Lightning is thematically unique, but mechanically it's very similar to grenades and the science direct damage powers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • celticvengencecelticvengence Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I want to like the ground combat in this game, but I just can't quite seem to. For a number of reasons, the biggest one being my away team and the AI or seeming lack of it. Getting them all to focus fire seems to sometimes work and others not at all, they insist on standing in every AoE circle, and the controls to make them move or not cluster up are too clunky for combat. I would love some better controls for them, and maybe some basic scripting for their power usage. This is made even worse when you fight certain enemies, like say the romulan scientists when they use I think it is the radiation ability on one of them and it wipes out your whole away team because getting them not to cluster up is a pain.

Other things that bug me about ground combat are things like the melee combat, I'm sure it is fine if you use a sword, or have this or that power slotted, but if I want to toss on a Bat'lath and just melee it is very difficult to make it work on anything other than the borg. It seems to be much harder to build for durability on ground than in space is another, though with that I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong and if I just bought the right stuff it would clear right up.

• midnightjade#4582 midnightjade Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    With the exception of my bridge officers always running into my line of fire so I can't see the enemy sometimes, I like ground combat (I'm on PS4). But I'm still new at the game having only played a few weeks so maybe I need to move around more!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Cryptic keep pushing folk towards melee with quest rewards (must be on batleth 5th or 6th iterationby now) but with most of them lacking a way of closing to the target it ends up with items like the tsunkatse gloves causing you to simply hand jive in the direction of an enemy.

From a preview of the new rep gear that is something that will also be happening with the headgearweaponmindthingywhatnot which isn't at all enticing.
    From a preview of the new rep gear that is something that will also be happening with the headgearweaponmindthingywhatnot which isn't at all enticing.

Actually it looks like that was addressed with the Rep gear. Replacing Palm Strike with Engage, which looks to act like a closer move like how a sword attack has your character charge at the enemy if they're not in range.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

Actually it looks like that was addressed with the Rep gear. Replacing Palm Strike with Engage, which looks to act like a closer move like how a sword attack has your character charge at the enemy if they're not in range.
    not just that but based on the livestream "engage" roots the target for few second (for a hit or 2 was wording they used IIRC).
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I love ground but sometime the graphical effects are too much. Some powers, that should help the team, completely obscure my visual.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    Agree with the OP 100%. Characters clipping through the environment still happen.

Overall the ground combat feels clunky, not very smooth. On a side note I prefer shooter mode and it's just not a good adaptation of an actual shooter and maybe that's why. Still a lot of ground wack-a-mole abilities should be redesigned or maybe combined to help smooth out fighting.
    -Makbure
This discussion has been closed.