test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ground gameplay needs an overhaul

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Swords have always been able to get around that with the close mechanic. If they're not in range your character would charge at them. Used that a lot in Sword Runs of Cure ground. The turrets that have that shield that push you away... I can still hit them with my sword because I chage in and hit before getting pushed back out. Nice to see something else come out with the ability to close the distance.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    It would not be to bad if they had some npc types that did not run off when you closed range with them, like some Klingons (or all Klingons)when you closed might take out their melee weapon an melee with you. Yet it does make sense that many times npcs would just run off when you close range with them, since in canon/setting not many would actually be trained i would imagine in close quarters combat. Though implementing a system in game that some of them might hold their ground till low hp, or that some of them have a secondary melee weapon that they switch to when you close into melee range would be a fine change.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    I won't even do ground TFOs because I don't want to hold back the rest of the team with my inexperience and tendency to make mistakes down there. I'm letting the Empok Nor global TFO just run out and reset tomorrow because of that.

I had more or less the same situation, compounded by the fact that I knew most of the space TFOs but not ground. But don't let the forums give you a wrong impression: if you actually play it there will be players even more "holding the team back" than you, and they still help. Of course also better ones who can almost solo it, but if you read the objectives and run in the correct general direction, you are already an asset.

If you don't want to play ground TFOs, that's fine. But don't let perceived inadequacy stop you from playing something you'd like to do. Forum users are probably more knowledgeable than the average player and tend to boast a bit as well, what you read here is not a good guide to what you actually find out there.
    veruvas1 wrote: »
    I'm on xbox. I do like space combat more but I enjoy the ground combat also. There are even times when i would prefer ground over space...sometimes I just wanna melt some voth or sprint around like the flash on my Jem'hadar. I'm not gonna say there's no room for improvement but it's ok imo.

I always run with medical tricorder and nanite health monitor when I'm on my sci toon as well. Don't see nanite used often by other players but it's amazing. Lasts about 3 minutes with a 20 second cooldown (at mk15 with decent kit performance), not difficult at all to have it on all 5 team members. It's just nice having something I can use on the Rambos so I don't have to chase them down as often if they are hurt. I use it on my Dino combat pet as well lol. Since they reduced the cooldown on pets you can have it out with almost 100% uptime if you have the ground doff from the fleet embassy. :)

Edit: Echatty, if your are struggling with the ground content (not trying to be a jerk or sound elitist here, just trying to be helpful) you could consider hopping on YouTube and doing a search for counteryolo ground. Should pull up his ground tanking guides. Vids are a little long but they are very informative and he goes over all the best survival passives and skills etc. was really helpful for me when I was struggling with the ground tfos.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. No, no one sounds like a jerk either. I have a thicker skin than to get offended with someone trying to help.

Just seems like sometimes I will get lost if I'm not careful lol. Otherwise I may try again if I can get into a normal level one. The advanced seems to pop more, but if one comes up on endeavors I may try the next one.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    I believe that most Jem'Hadar also have the ability to go Melee as well with the polearms that are unique to NPC Jem'Hadar. Some Gorn have a bite attack if you get too close. But for the most part many enemy groups actually try to avoid CQC range because they're armed with ranged weapons. Some actually do a palm strike that knocks you down though.

Canon wise though, very few races have actually shown CQC skills due to the proliferation of ranged weaponry. Starfleet still trains for CQC, Klingons pretty much love it, Borg have no other option really, and Jem'Hadar are willing to go melee. Most other races have been portrayed as sticking to their guns. And before anyone mentions Andorians or Vulcans, they're not independant factions in STO, they're considered Federation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    I like ground as well. I'd love to see the Commando Specialization expanded so that I can train commando BOFFs. I think it would also be cool to add a "formation" UI that would arrange your BOFFs into various combat formations (i.e. V formation, column, line, etc.)

Formations would be nice. The question is if the engine can support it.
    I love ground combat and i may even enjoy it a bit more than space combat. There is always room for improvement though.

One thing i would like to see is less restrictions on class kit modules. E.g. there is no reason why an engineer cannot use a smoke grenade, stun grenade or photon grenade. Especially with newer kit modules becoming ever more powerful, it would be nice if certain older kit modules could be made available to other classes as well.

In real life there is such a thing as cross training. Soldiers also learn basic first aid, medics learn firearms and let's not even mention combat engineers. Off course not all of the older kit modules are suitable, but for some others there is little in the way why they their use is not allowed on other classes.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > Just seems like sometimes I will get lost if I'm not careful lol.

This Thread is about Ground Combat not the old Exploration Clusters. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    STO has ground combat? ;)

Yep and playing it made me space rich. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

That's what I'm talking about. Ground STFs. I have tried them in the past and when the fighting and flashing stuff starts it's easy for me to get turned around.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @echatty said:

That's what I'm talking about. Ground STFs. I have tried them in the past and when the fighting and flashing stuff starts it's easy for me to get turned around.
    Enh, eventually you'll learn the maps and that will be less of an issue.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It seems my sarcasm was missed. Getting lost was in reference to what the Developers stated as one of the reasons why they did remove Exploration Clusters.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I actually liked those exploration clusters and would visit them sometimes. I kind of miss them, but I know they're not coming back so not going to cry about it.

Sorry, I can usually detect sarcasm as I can be pretty sarcastic myself.

Anyway, Ground combat isn't so bad most of the time now. Still not a favorite, but it's tolerable.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    > @echatty said:

When this happens to me. I just orient myself either via the minimap, or the actual map. Sometimes this doesn't work for some maps. So, then I refer to landmarks.

Of course in ground TFO's. the general lack of enemies tends to tell you, you're going the wrong way.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

When this happens to me. I just orient myself either via the minimap, or the actual map. Sometimes this doesn't work for some maps. So, then I refer to landmarks.

Of course in ground TFO's. the general lack of enemies tends to tell you, you're going the wrong way.

Thanks for the laugh.

I actually work this way even in space. In the back of my head I'm thinking [Gotta head towards the red dots, not away from them].
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options

I actually work this way even in space. In the back of my head I'm thinking [Gotta head towards the red dots, not away from them].

Unless you're playing TIE Fighter, then Red dots = Imperial craft = allies. Until you're fighting Harkov and Zaarin anyways.
  • Options
    Never played TIE fighters.

STO is the first and only space game I've ever played. And the first MMO.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    TIE Figher was from the golden age of Space Combat Simulators in the 90s. Fun game. Part of the X-Wing series. Was around at the same time as the Wing Commander games.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

I mostly like Fantasy/RP games like Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, etc. When STO went FTP, I signed up for the same reason most probably did. I'm a huge Trek fan and I like it all. Grew up in the times of ToS and have seen all the series and movies. Got nothing bad to say about any of them cause they all entertained me and that's the only criteria that I use when watching anything.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    Especially if that sword is a Tholian Crystalline Sword that just absorbed that energy that was shot at the weilder and they're about to get beat upside the head with their own weapon's energy type?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I like ground as well. I'd love to see the Commando Specialization expanded so that I can train commando BOFFs. I think it would also be cool to add a "formation" UI that would arrange your BOFFs into various combat formations (i.e. V formation, column, line, etc.)

I love ground combat and i may even enjoy it a bit more than space combat. There is always room for improvement though.

One thing i would like to see is less restrictions on class kit modules. E.g. there is no reason why an engineer cannot use a smoke grenade, stun grenade or photon grenade. Especially with newer kit modules becoming ever more powerful, it would be nice if certain older kit modules could be made available to other classes as well.

In real life there is such a thing as cross training. Soldiers also learn basic first aid, medics learn firearms and let's not even mention combat engineers. Off course not all of the older kit modules are suitable, but for some others there is little in the way why they their use is not allowed on other classes.
    Honestly I'd improve some Kit modules before making them useble for other classes, grenades suffer from your character not being able to lead his target when throwing so in 99% of the cases the target(s) run out of the AoE and the grenade explodes harmlessly making them essentially a wasted module slot once you got better options. Solution there is simple, so simple in fact that NPCs already do it to an extent, have the player character lead the target when it's moving, sure the hit chance would not be 100% but least it would be high enough for those to more then of niche use.

Honestly I think Cryptic should do a design pass on the base kit modules, some of the base ones just seem too underpowered for their intended purpose or so niche that you wonder why are they in the game in first place. For example Combat Supply for engineers I can't remember ever seeing this module used in a serious situation.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator

I was thinking something along the lines of Carrier Commands, but they would be orders given to your BOFFs.

I would like to see more Kit Modules able to be made into Training Manuals to allow BOFFs access to some of those abilities as well.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Formations wouldn't actually do anything in STO, because you can just as well shoot through people.

Right. Same for captain abilities. For example, there's no logical reason you'd need special Tactical training to be able to call your ship and order them to beam down some redshirts (Security Escort).

But these restrictions are necessary to differentiate the classes.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Maybe they could have special modifiers for the kit modules depending on your class. As far as grenades being not that useful, I do agree somewhat. I mainly use photon grenade from ambush so I don't have to worry about enemies running away, also does a lot of bonus damage and doesn't break ambush. If you have ambush and photon you can pretty much one shot groups of Borg in the ground tfos. Throwing knives work well too...

Motivation, Trajectory Bending, Graviton Spike, and a Grenade/Microtorp.

"You guys! Gather up(graviton spike)! Oh... what an explosive group(grenade/mircotorp)!"

As to the little bar that appears when you roll. That's the same bar that appears when you try to sprint in combat. You can see it out of combat, just hit your sprint key while standing still.

Tac captains have few abilities that make them stop for a moment. Engineers and Sci captains have far more. But that's generally reserved for dropping aoe's and such for them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have not tried trajectory bending yet, or motivation and gravity spike. I do use the microtorps though it's very nice. Now that I have some credits built up I will have to give the others mentioned a try. I think trajectory bending and motivation are around 10mil on console, which I can actually afford now.
    On the topic of sprinting...it would be really really nice if we had an option to auto sprint imo.

They're 3 of the best modules for ground Tacticals.. Graviton Spike will be available again soon once the summer event starts.

If you just watch the exchange, you can probably pick up Trajectory and Motivation for fairly cheap, just wait until there is an infinity lock box event. When those happen, the supply goes up quite a bit and you can get pretty good bargains. Even the best ground items never quite see the demand of the big ticket space gear. I don't know about console, but on PC the prices of ground items fluctuates massively. I have honestly seen modules go for 7M one day and be under 1M the next.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    trennan wrote: »
    Maybe they could have special modifiers for the kit modules depending on your class. As far as grenades being not that useful, I do agree somewhat. I mainly use photon grenade from ambush so I don't have to worry about enemies running away, also does a lot of bonus damage and doesn't break ambush. If you have ambush and photon you can pretty much one shot groups of Borg in the ground tfos. Throwing knives work well too...

Motivation, Trajectory Bending, Graviton Spike, and a Grenade/Microtorp.

"You guys! Gather up(graviton spike)! Oh... what an explosive group(grenade/mircotorp)!"

As to the little bar that appears when you roll. That's the same bar that appears when you try to sprint in combat. You can see it out of combat, just hit your sprint key while standing still.

Tac captains have few abilities that make them stop for a moment. Engineers and Sci captains have far more. But that's generally reserved for dropping aoe's and such for them.
    Pretty much any constuct will animation lock you in place as an engineer, my main is an engineer and she still hasn't learned how to summon a support drone without standind still ;)

Tactical has shortest animation locks and less of them then other classes, while engineers have the longest and most numerous animation locks, that isn't to say that engineers aren't fun to play they just aren't very mobile and need time to set up.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's all about knowing what skills do. I know that I'll have to stand there for a little while any time I summon a mortar. So I'll plan ahead when using mortars.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    An interesting combo of a melee weapon,a nd a module, might be something that when using a melee weapon the use changes based on what kind of combo you are using. Like if you use a left left combo an then hit it you might get one type of use out of the module, while using a left right or right left would give you a different effect. This kind of module would give melee the ability to have quite a versatile module, that could fit alot of niches an deal with issues melee has compared to range, but yet would be something that adds a need of the player to create almost a planned rotation of abilities uses to utilize this type of module effectively.
    Post edited by asuran14 on
  • Options
    It's all about knowing what skills do. I know that I'll have to stand there for a little while any time I summon a mortar. So I'll plan ahead when using mortars.

There is that, but it'd be nice if i could throw a stun grenade or smoke grenade to buy some time to build a turret, mortar or close the distance to lay mines in case planning ahead was not possible.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    I find bunker style gameplay is more strategic. For example if you're in Kitomer Ground... do you build your mortar out in the open or do you build it around a corner? Or do you pop a cover shield and then put the mortar down behind that?

Then again I am a veteran strategy game player so... I tend to think of these things more when it comes to deploying static emplacements.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I find bunker style gameplay is more strategic. For example if you're in Kitomer Ground... do you build your mortar out in the open or do you build it around a corner? Or do you pop a cover shield and then put the mortar down behind that?

Then again I am a veteran strategy game player so... I tend to think of these things more when it comes to deploying static emplacements.

Seriously into engineer ground combat myself, but reaching the point where most new kit modules are just variants of already existing modules.
    Allowing access to older kit modules from other classes could give ground combat the kick in the pants it needs to avoid becoming stale.
This discussion has been closed.