test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warp sounds ever gonna be fixed?

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
Been months now, warp sounds ever gonna be fixed? Or has QC just fallen this far now. Do we need Cameron to go down and raise the bar again? :P Let me know if you got that reference. xD

1e3sni150tar.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I was also hoping that'd be resolved by now too. It's still lightly grating hearing a 24C TNG era ship do the wrong spool-up, and also kinda annoying having a 23C Disc ship that spools-up correctly, but then TNG outs because it's on a 25C character.

Unfortunate technical debt from the early days of the game, everyone has to have the same spool-up sounds, but warp-out sounds are per character.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    It was intentional? I thought it was said to have been a side effect of introducing the Discovery warpouts as up until that point, they all used the same sound effects no matter what...

I mean even the TOS used the TNG sounds. Up until Discovery sub-faction, the warp outs were just reskins of the basic TNG style that has been in game since day 1. TOS just removed the light up and warp flash, but functioned 100% the same as the TNG style warpout. Likewise the Kelvin Warpouts were just reskins of the warp trail and warp flash, but functionally was identical to the default TNG warpout. The Discovery warp out was the first real different warp out we got in game, with the whole ship glowing a bit before zipping out without a flash and no real warp trail.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I love the Disco sound, but I would prefer to have both sounds seperate as appropriate by faction or ship. But it seems until Cryptic can figure out how to do that, we'll have to live with that weird hybrid sound that doesn't appeal to anyone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I really don't pay much attention to them myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    For me, on regular warp outs, yeah it's annoying.

However it's slightly entertaining to get that massive ship TRIBBLE right before you jump into a transwarp.

Thinking on it like that, it makes the regular warp out slightly entertaining to. "Scotty, haven't you taken care of the backfiring problem, yet?"
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Not until April 1, 2020

"Zoom!"
    The Discovery chargup does sound more powerful than the TNG one. But having it cut into the standard TNG warpout sound feels a bit odd. If they can find a way to blend it a bit better it would be fine.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I was also hoping that'd be resolved by now too. It's still lightly grating hearing a 24C TNG era ship do the wrong spool-up, and also kinda annoying having a 23C Disc ship that spools-up correctly, but then TNG outs because it's on a 25C character.

Unfortunate technical debt from the early days of the game, everyone has to have the same spool-up sounds, but warp-out sounds are per character.
    Sadly the Warp out effects (as well as transporter effects) are hard coded to the character and not the ship so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.
  • spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I don't like the discovery warp out, it sounds like the ship is expelling gas.
    Not until April 1, 2020

"Zoom!"

That's my favorite of the April Fool sounds :D
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I like it how it is, tbh. I specifically made my "lukari" character a discovery era captain so that my lukari ships would sound and act different than my standard fed ships.
    edited May 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    Not until April 1, 2020

"Zoom!"

That's my favorite of the April Fool sounds :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdD1HcwgqvQ
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Thanks for the laugh, I love it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Sadly the Warp out effects (as well as transporter effects) are hard coded to the character and not the ship so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

When talking about the warp-out, they did express that they'd like to tie it to ships during a couple of Livestreams where it came up. To fix the warp-out character sounds they're addressing some hard-coded stuff anyway, so going one step further to give them more flexibility sounds like a good idea.

• disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I hate the sound of the Discovery warp bloop. You can enjoy it all you want, but I'm 100% on board with never hearing it again.
    spiritborn wrote: »

When talking about the warp-out, they did express that they'd like to tie it to ships during a couple of Livestreams where it came up. To fix the warp-out character sounds they're addressing some hard-coded stuff anyway, so going one step further to give them more flexibility sounds like a good idea.

That's why I didn't say that it's impossible but rather I said it's something that's unlikely to change anytime soon, they can and have expressed intrest on changing that but it's also not something they're gonna drop everything else to do.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Discovery chargup does sound more powerful than the TNG one. But having it cut into the standard TNG warpout sound feels a bit odd. If they can find a way to blend it a bit better it would be fine.

It probably wasn't intentional, but they (at this point) seem to consider it a non-issue; and they feel Developer Time is best used to add/fix more content/larger issues.

I honestly don't care for it (and I like Discovery) as it currently is, but hey, I don't make development resource decisions for Cryptic. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

It probably wasn't intentional, but they (at this point) seem to consider it a non-issue; and they feel Developer Time is best used to add/fix more content/larger issues.

I honestly don't care for it (and I like Discovery) as it currently is, but hey, I don't make development resource decisions for Cryptic. ;)

I'd say the problem is that it that sounds aren't so much mixed together as it's starting with the DSC power-up and then smash cutting to the TNG sound when the ship warps out (unless you're using AoD toon in which case it's DSC all the way to the end), so there's this clear disconnect with "power-up" and "warp out" sounds.

Oh and before anyone asks why AoT toons use TNG sound is that there's no TOS "warp-out" sound as the ships didn't enter or exit warp on-screen until the movies.
    I hate the sound of the Discovery warp bloop. You can enjoy it all you want, but I'm 100% on board with never hearing it again.

Not saying I enjoy it. I just found a way to make it semi-entertaining. Sort of like when a car backfires.

For this, it's the same as imagining you ship farting, when you use the Theta-radiation Evavie Maneuvers trait.

The main thing is, is the tech itself is over 100 years old. So, it's way out of date. Which, makes me think Discovery is its own universe. Since the warp sounds for Ent, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager are all the same. Even JJ Trek uses pretty much the same sound.

Also in an interview I read about the Disc Season2 finale, the interviewer asked a question with the termonolgy, "Discovery Universe" in it. The one being interviewed did not correct, nor refute this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-season-2-finale-time-jump-explained-1203166
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Absense of evidence is not evidence.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."

Holmes: "That was the curious incident."
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited May 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."

Holmes: "That was the curious incident."
    It was only curious because the dog had done things in previous nights, thus the dog doing nothing repesented a change in a pattern. That does not apply here, since we have official statements stating that Discovery is prime-universe from CBS.

Next major content drop is likely locked in, considering they intend to release May 14 on consoles as well, which would require Sony and Microsoft to already be testing it (to make sure it shows the proper buttons and branding). Content side wouldn't likely be the resources needed by this system getting reworked, anyway. Bug fixing admittedly would probably be at least related to the issue, but this might (or might not) be in definite spot in the code versus most bugs that have to be hunted down.

While not critical, I'd hope they'd see value in those players (both old and new) interested in having the TNG period be the sounds played. I understand it was a quick hack to make sure the new players coming in from Discovery have matched sounds, but it'd be nice to have the TNG sounds back.
This discussion has been closed.