test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 ships & account-wide unlocks?

dustyhayesdustyhayes Member Posts: 46 Arc User
So I've been hearing about the T6 ships getting an overhaul to match some of the newer ships that have come out that are playable from 1st level and will scale up to full power eventually as you grow in level. Interesting premise, though I wonder if it will invalidate T1 through T5 ships if you're using the same ship throughout your career? It brings me to my thought of T6 Lobi/Lockbox ships that are received by characters but if you start a new character, you don't have access to that ship. Could STO implement an option of account-wide unlocks for ships received through the Lobi Store or lockboxes? Any of the ships (T1 to T6.) Be it Zen or Dilithium, either way. I'm sure this has been asked (and probably shot down) before, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Could they? Yes. Will they? You already know the answer ;)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Sorry, it probably isn't going to happen.

Cryptic makes a lot of money from lock box keys and R&D packs. Ships becoming scaling ships doesn't give them any reason to change that.

If anything it's a reason against a price drop (which account unlock would be) because the ships now have more value for players since characters can use the ships sooner.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    That's not gonna happen because they're making lotsa money with gamble & lobi ships. It's like the big income source for them.

As for the lower tiers, they still have some use, at least the "free" ones. New players don't have the option to jump into their T6es so they will still use the freebies.
    Though the low tier store ships should have their prices drastically lowered because as far as gameplay goes they're completely obsolete now. Costume unlocks, admiralty cards and some specific consoles really don't justify those prices anymore.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    I've always supported the idea of Lobi/lockbox/gamble-box ships going account-wide, so this isn't a surprise that the question would arise once again when T6 ships are converted to scaling ships...

That said, I do wonder what the point of making the aforementioned 'premium' ships scaling? Let's face it, the odds that a new player is going to have the resources to acquire one of these premium ships is pretty low. In fact the only practical means of using a level-scaling premium ship would be for a veteran player reclaiming the ship on a new alt.

Also it is unlikely (not impossible, just unlikely) that even a veteran player would invest the resources to acquire a premium ship for a new alt.

So, what's the point of making premium ships level-scaling if they aren't account unlocks?
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    dustyhayes wrote: »
    Though I wonder if it will invalidate T1 through T5 ships if you're using the same ship throughout your career?
    Could STO implement an option of account-wide unlocks for ships received through the Lobi Store or lockboxes?

I would say that lower tier ones will get the same treatment at some point and all ships will be scaling. (And finally shut up all those T6 Nova/Oberth people rampaging on the forum! ;) )

The boxed ships will never be account wide unlocks. But I could see a BoA 'reboxing' of a boxed ship being acceptable. Say for 500 Zen (or a FSM) you put the ship back in a BoA box and can pop it in your account bank then have a different character open that box.

Personally, I'm at the point of ship ownership that I have so many that unless I can get use out of a ship for multiple toons, I just don't care anymore about one-use box ships. So a reboxing feature would at least get me to spend 500 Zen now and again to transfer a ship between toons. I can't imagine that I'm unique in that regard.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    orion0029 wrote: »
    I've always supported the idea of Lobi/lockbox/gamble-box ships going account-wide, so this isn't a surprise that the question would arise once again when T6 ships are converted to scaling ships...

That said, I do wonder what the point of making the aforementioned 'premium' ships scaling? Let's face it, the odds that a new player is going to have the resources to acquire one of these premium ships is pretty low. In fact the only practical means of using a level-scaling premium ship would be for a veteran player reclaiming the ship on a new alt.

Also it is unlikely (not impossible, just unlikely) that even a veteran player would invest the resources to acquire a premium ship for a new alt.

So, what's the point of making premium ships level-scaling if they aren't account unlocks?

Whales.

Whales already buy themselves multiple TOS Connies, and any ships with useful mastery traits.

A whale wanting to create a new Discovery captain wouldn't hesitate to buy them a Discovery Connie, and probably a set of *-linked phasers and other goodies.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    dustyhayes wrote: »
    Could STO implement an option of account-wide unlocks for ships received through the Lobi Store or lockboxes? Any of the ships (T1 to T6.) Be it Zen or Dilithium, either way. I'm sure this has been asked (and probably shot down) before, but I thought I would throw it out there.
    One logical solution would be to give them the extra 'mastery tier' seen with the Vanguard ships (also applicable to T6 Romulan ships, given that they are similar to the Vanguard in being a 'half-faction').
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    orion0029 wrote: »

Whales.

Whales already buy themselves multiple TOS Connies, and any ships with useful mastery traits.

A whale wanting to create a new Discovery captain wouldn't hesitate to buy them a Discovery Connie, and probably a set of *-linked phasers and other goodies.

As much as I'd like to dispute this, I cannot. I have seen no evidence showing that the developers guys in charge would even be interested in catering to anyone other than the uber-spenders.

That's a shame as there are many more 'average joes' than 'shamus'...
This discussion has been closed.