Install Arc

Gamma Recruit

2»

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    The only content specific to the Dominion origin is the tutorial, so not much is lost if you just make an alien for an origin that allows it and pretend it's from the Dominion. Imagination FTW.

These days you can even start the Gamma story arc first if you want.

Is Gamma directly accesible? Because if you skip to it, you'd have to do some (minor) missions of the "meet Admiral Nevertobeseenagain on Starbase 666" first. But yeah, no actual gameplay needed.
    Not anymore. From the latest patch notes 10/11/19:
    • If you have at least one level 65 character, all of your other characters should now be able to start any mission group they want - you can start the first mission in any section of the journal.
    • This applies to 23c, Century Fed captains after they reach the 25th c. and to Jem'Hadar and Romulan captains after they choose an allegiance.
    • 25 c. Federation and Klingon captains gain this update immediately after the tutorial.

You should be able to make a Feddy/Klink, skip the tutorial and start Gamma right away. I haven't tried if it actually works, though.

EDIT: And I just noticed that patch note has a hilariously wrong date on it.

It works, I have a very low level alt that I started on the episode. Of course I have a bunch of level 65s so I cannot see if that requirement is actually necessary.
    That is irrelevant since Jem'Hadar are the absolute bottom of the barrel, lower when it comes to independent action than the Dosi, Wadi, Karemma, Yaderans, etc.

In the context of DS9 they are nothing but expendable grunts ALWAYS under the command of others (usually a Vorta). In fact, realistically sticking to established canon there is no way anything but a Vorta could be a Dominion military captain, and therefor an STO player-character. But for some reason they chose the Jem'Hadar instead and came up with the schtick about Odo applying Federation style classless rules in his faction, and that same schtick makes all the other races potentially viable as PCs as well (especially the Vorta/Kurilli).

If you take a step back and look at the Dominion from a scripting/plotting point of view Dominion society and modus operandi are completely based on deception. Nothing, especially the Vorta, are what they seem or claim to be. Vorta are the real aggressive action and enforcement arm of the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar are just their meat shields and totally expendable shock troops to bludgeon and distract the enemy while the Vorta do the real work from the shadows.
    Doesn't change the fact that Jem'Hadar are the ones doing the things STO captains do, while the other races do not, not even the Vorta. The Vorta just hide behind them when things go south.

Actually, in canon the Jem'Hadar worked under the Vorta, but the Vorta were not the military captains, the Jem'Hadar were. The Vorta were diplomats, and the ones who gave the White to the Jem'Hadar for following orders, but it was the Jem'Hadar who held all the military ranks. The Vorta just relayed high level orders like "The Founders said go here and shoot this". It was the Jem'Hadar First of that ship that directed all the other Jem'Hadar on how to carry out that order. In Federation terms, the Changelings are the Federation President, the Vorta are Admiral Quinn, the Jem'Hadar Firsts are the player captains, and the Jem'Hadar below them are the Boffs/crew. Quinn doesn't go out and shoot things, he orders other captains and admirals to do it. because that is what his job is, to manage everyone else. And just like Quinn, our Vorta higher up, Loriss, is generally not the one going out shooting things, she does diplomatic and science things like Vorta do.

And your explanation for why Jem'Hadar are playable in incorrect. The only thing Odo did was make his Jem'Hadar less dependent on the white, not end all the class barriers that would allo for something like the Dosi, Wadi, Karemma, etc. etc. to be playable.

The Vorta are diplomats and spies, the Jem'Hadar are the actual aggressive force of the Dominion, even in DS9. You don't see hordes of Vorta burning worlds and piloting the ships in the big battle seqeunces.

Are you trying to say that player characters in STO are just grunts who never command ships? Because that is what the Jem'Hadar were in DS9. It is exactly the opposite of what you said, the Vorta are the ones who do the things player characters do in STO, not their low end warty meat shields.

The Vorta were SPIES AND AGENTS, not "just diplomats" though they often played that role in addition to their other duties and were very good at it (in fact there are a lot of little clues that they have a kind of influence like the Orions but which is weaker and not pheromone based) remember the "cobra" part of their description?. That deadly layer upon layer of deception is one of the things that made the Dominion interesting after the clownish procession of Gamma quadrant weirdo of the week silliness of the season before.

As for not being in command of ships, when have you ever seen a significant Dominion ship without a Vorta in command of it? The Jem'Hadar are nothing but meat-droids to the Dominion, the same as the droids in Star Wars in status (if even that much). "Rocks and Shoals" shows just how low the Jem'Hadar are regarded and how little trust is put in them by others in the Dominion.

• jici3#7668 jici3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @nccmark said:
    > They are not required to do something simply because you invoke some "What do they have to lose?" nonsense.
    >
    > It's none of your business why they do or do not make things happen.
    > You are owed zero explanation, they need not defend it to you.
    i never said they had to explain themself...

WOW... cant we ask question on this forum witouth being treat like tath?
  • rademacherle#7986 rademacherle Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I'm bored and need new content and i didn't participate in the gamma event so bring it on and give it to me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    An interesting loose plot thread that STO could pick up and run with if they decided to flesh out the Dominion campaign is the Modain who were being considered to replace the Vorta/Jem'Hadar military system with a single unit type which could perform both roles (Behr decided to drop that thread as Weyoun became so popular). Someone in the Dominion (or possibly manipulating from the outside, though that has probably been overused in STO already) could have reactivated the Modain program in a bid to seize control in the tail of the Hurq war chaos, providing a mass-produced enemy for the alliance to put down.

It would definitely give new Gamma recruits something to do besides admiralty and the other sideline dreck and little else that the current, very limited Dominion setup sticks them with.
    One could also go in the direction of saying that it's because Odo said so.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Are you trying to say that player characters in STO are just grunts who never command ships? Because that is what the Jem'Hadar were in DS9. It is exactly the opposite of what you said, the Vorta are the ones who do the things player characters do in STO, not their low end warty meat shields.

The Vorta were SPIES AND AGENTS, not "just diplomats" though they often played that role in addition to their other duties and were very good at it (in fact there are a lot of little clues that they have a kind of influence like the Orions but which is weaker and not pheromone based) remember the "cobra" part of their description?. That deadly layer upon layer of deception is one of the things that made the Dominion interesting after the clownish procession of Gamma quadrant weirdo of the week silliness of the season before.

As for not being in command of ships, when have you ever seen a significant Dominion ship without a Vorta in command of it? The Jem'Hadar are nothing but meat-droids to the Dominion, the same as the droids in Star Wars in status (if even that much). "Rocks and Shoals" shows just how low the Jem'Hadar are regarded and how little trust is put in them by others in the Dominion.

IMO neither the Vorta nor the Jem make good player characters if you go by canon. The Vorta just cannot do any ground mission, getting their hands dirty isn't their forte, while the Jem are indeed not independent from commands by Vorta (in the name of the founders of course). Granted, they are more useful than non liberated borg toons would be.

But for headcanon you can always either imagine that in space you are actually playing a different toon, or that there is some Vorta or maybe even Founder on the ship giving the commands and your Jems are just executing them. (Of course you'd still have to play said command giver as well).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Vorta are people. They're no worse at shooting someone with a rifle than a Human. The thing with the TV show is that most DON'T learn how. basically it's the "not your job" thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Vorta are people. They're no worse at shooting someone with a rifle than a Human. The thing with the TV show is that most DON'T learn how. basically it's the "not your job" thing.

Actually, they are. If I remember correctly, according to lore, Vorta have poor eyesight.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Actually, they are. If I remember correctly, according to lore, Vorta have poor eyesight.

Could make them typical boffs. "No, the door is a step to the left, you don't need to run into the wall and get stuck" ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Yeah but that's "can't head shot at 150 meters" bad, rather than "can't hit the broad side of a barn".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    The Delta Recruitment event was originally introduced on pc during 2015 long before the game came to consoles and was later rerun for the Playstation and Xbox crowd in June 2018, so taking that as a cue it suggests that a three year span is at least a possibility.

That leaves me a bit hopeful that another pass at Temporal Agents and Gamma Recruits will eventually happen, so it is a game of patience only.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > Vorta are people. They're no worse at shooting someone with a rifle than a Human. The thing with the TV show is that most DON'T learn how. basically it's the "not your job" thing.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, they are. If I remember correctly, according to lore, Vorta have poor eyesight.

If they have good enough eyesight to be able to read they can use a handgun effectively
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

IMO neither the Vorta nor the Jem make good player characters if you go by canon. The Vorta just cannot do any ground mission, getting their hands dirty isn't their forte, while the Jem are indeed not independent from commands by Vorta (in the name of the founders of course). Granted, they are more useful than non liberated borg toons would be.

But for headcanon you can always either imagine that in space you are actually playing a different toon, or that there is some Vorta or maybe even Founder on the ship giving the commands and your Jems are just executing them. (Of course you'd still have to play said command giver as well).

On the contrary, the very first Vorta you see in DS9, Eris, was on a "ground mission". Vorta do get their hands dirty, they just like to conceal the fact.

And that is not "head cannon", it is what they show on the screen, the way dialog is phrased and the vocal tones when they say it, and the way the plots are structured. The Dominion simply relies more on intelligence and deception than they do brute force or conventional diplomacy, which is not surprising since it is lead by shape shifters who tend to think in those terms.

No more so than some of the others (like the Andorians) who have a different sense balance. In the case of the Vorta, their sight is a bit inferior to a human's but their sense of hearing makes up for it. Weyoun could tell who entered a room behind him and very precisely were they were in the room without seeing them with his eyes for instance, that is what those huge complex ears are for. I seriously doubt he would have any trouble using them to target someone.

This discussion has been closed.