test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Operation: Riposte Featured TFO

Comments

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I, for one, am grateful to be able to get the chance to be able to get free T6 CStore ships, esp. with the further expansion of scaleable ships available.

I wish this system was in place earlier, but at least it's going to relieve the dings to my wallet going forward.
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I wish this system was in place earlier, but at least it's going to relieve the dings to my wallet going forward.

And I wish there would be a featured episode to play instead of this 'event'.

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    -SNIP-
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Outside of regular seasonal events, why are the only 'retention schemes' always: "Sit around doing nothing for a while waiting for a group of people(whom you may or may not know or have any idea how they will play/perform) so you can jump through arbitrary and convoluted hoops/objectives (which may include a time limit) and hope that everyone you're stuck with will magically do everything right."?
    It's an MMO, not an online single player game. The point is that you are supposed to do things with other people.

While I realize this is probably getting a bit off-topic, the main point I was trying to get at is that I think there is so much more Event-potential for people to interact and engage with each other besides just running the same 'dungeons' over and over again. I'm not saying events like this are inherently bad on their own; I'm glad people who like that gameplay loop have something to enjoy - and that's why I generally don't make too much of a fuss about it.

Ironically, I don't find the concept of 'dungeon-running' to be a very "MMO" concept(unless we're talking old-school 'Open' dungeons that aren't linear corridors and instead have proper 'wings' to 'explore'). Rather, TFOs feel closer to an arena-style game like League of Legends or Left 4 Dead. You've typically got a 'match' with specific objectives you've got to accomplish with a small handful of people.

Even taking the previously mentioned crafting event as an example: You have to still go out into the game world to collect the required materials(it's a shame Memory Alpha isn't a thing anymore), or negotiate with other players in the community for them. For the Defense Patrol/Encounter event; you'd actually see the players swarming to the battle lines on the sector map and you'd constantly have players hot-joining and leaving the encounters in a very organic way that feels like everyone is coming together to pitch in and overcome the 'threat' of the event.

We have the entire Star Trek multiverse to play around with here; why are these events confined exclusively to us just sitting around space stations waiting for queue timers to pop instead of actually going out there and doing stuff together in the final frontier itself?

I suspect I'm ranting at this point, so I digress.
  • ee3452pee3452p Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    In principle, it is good that Cryptic is giving people the ability to obtain something "for free". However, I have concerns about the details, and maybe Cryptic, who is doing this for the first time now, can make some adjustments.

As other players have noted, there is very little room for error or missing out while still getting the desired reward. 60 of 63 doesn't sound promising.

Andre Emerson in a livestream basically said (if I remember correctly) that when he played his first TFOs that was when the game really "clicked" with him. So he seems to like this content and wants to put out more of it.

HOWEVER... not all gamers are alike. I for myself consider STO to be a singleplayer game (with, admittingly, some strange looking NPCs running around at Earth spacedock :-) ), with the main focus on story and roleplaying, ME being the Captain of my own Starship.

When I heard from the Foundry shutdown, I tried to play a Foundry mission every two to three days, as my time permitted. What shall I say, in the last month I had the best time in STO ever, because I did enjoy so many well-written and crafted story missions like never before, Ghosts of War series, Star Trek Continues (TOS style) etc..

THAT is what I want to have more of. And if I'm satisfied with that, I also play a few TFOs and outfit my ship with better equitment etc., in other words I will spend money on the game.

TFO grinding however becomes more of a boredom and "work", which drives the fun out of the game.

I personally think that if you want to have people playing STO, put more story content in it. If you can't produce all the needed story content yourself, well, I once heard of a great idea called the Foundry... .

So I think the " Play TFOs to get a ship" thing is too grindy as it is set up. Maybe if you obtain the main reward after 14 playthroughs, you also get 1/3 of the coupon, and after three such succesful completions (which do not need to end in autumn but could go on), you can select a ship.

@AmbassedorKael
    I also have a question regarding the Zen ship. Lets imagine I want both the New Orleans and the Ketha raptor. I use the Coupon to purchase the New Orleans. How expensive will the Ketha raptor (or any other ship of a two-ship pack, like Ambassedor/Vorcha etc.) be then?

Lets imagine I purchase the pack when its on sale for 3200 Zen. Lets also imagine instead I use the coupon and then try to buy the other ship. Would it be 2400 Zen reduced pricing, or only the 200 Zen difference because I already own the other ship?

What I'm trying to say is: How well does the Coupon work when one wants to purchase a ship of a pack (which honestly, are most of the ships) and then the rest of the pack?
    A zero cost way for Cryptic to finance and expand the foundry

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247522/foundry-sunset-april-11th-2019/p15

Look at my post about a Foundry Ship

BRING BACK THE FOUNDRY!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Have they said what happens with these progress tokens for someone that uses the store event skip?

If it has the tokens might make it worth buying for once, although admittedly my 12h flash sale induced boycott would prevent that from happening.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    EDIT: I stand corrected. C-Store purchase of the event buyout does reward progress on the T6 coupon reward.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    If you don't participate in the event, you won't earn progress on the T6 coupon. Buying progress for the Event Console reward does not buy you progress on the T6 coupon. What sense would that make? The idea is to earn a free ship. If you're going to buy it, just buy it.

Actually per the livestream last night the buyout packages will include 10 days worth of tokens for progress. Doing that three times won't give enough for the "free" ship, more runs are still required, but if someone buys out of one of the two (for ex.) they're not stuffed for progress (it's no longer a "free" ship but the cost isn't on the same scale as T6. There's still something to work towards [on top of all the other loot.])
    ee3452p wrote: »
    So I think the " Play TFOs to get a ship" thing is too grindy as it is set up. Maybe if you obtain the main reward after 14 playthroughs, you also get 1/3 of the coupon, and after three such succesful completions (which do not need to end in autumn but could go on), you can select a ship.

That would be the simplest strategy. What I'm hoping from the extra complication is that the token system could be expanded to include other items. Ex. 3,000 for ship, 500 for boff, 400 for combat pets. There's potential flexibility down the road, which I like, though it's worth re-iterating Jeremy's comments that this is a trial run and whether it continues is contingent on the data.
    ee3452p wrote: »
    I also have a question regarding the Zen ship. Lets imagine I want both the New Orleans and the Ketha raptor. I use the Coupon to purchase the New Orleans. How expensive will the Ketha raptor (or any other ship of a two-ship pack, like Ambassedor/Vorcha etc.) be then?

The coupon works by reducing the price of your next T6 ship (single, no bundles) purchase from the cstore price to zero. Any implications from there would be identical to if you'd bought the New Orleans by itself with zen.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tvalavulcantvalavulcan Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I'm with BMR on this. Purchasing the TFO buyout should not reward the T6 ship coupon tokens. Also, if you don't get enough T6 tokens by the end of the 3rd TFO, you can continue to earn it in the 4th or 5th or even later featured TFO. At least that is how I read it. And like some others, I already have all the ships I want from the Zen store. Also, my understanding is that I can save the coupon until there is one that I do want.
    edited April 2019
    I'm with BMR on this. Purchasing the TFO buyout should not reward the T6 ship coupon tokens.

They will, so...

See again the situation where someone wants to buy out of one of the TFO's (see. life reasons) but participates with the other two. If that doesn't include tokens then that's a forced exit from the promo, which is a bit heavy-handed for player incentive schemes.

Also there are no plans set yet for continuing the event. They may (if it goes well) but the system is currently setup so that the end of this event is the end of the event. If you do not reach 3,000, you will have to use a buyout to earn whatever progress remains. Otherwise (as things are now) you will not get the ship and there are no guarantees that they will run this event in future or carry over progress from one to another (all that's contingent on decisions that haven't yet been made.) Plus, if you do reach 3,000 you will not be able to earn additional tokens.

In general, do not plan on saving up for the future (re. tokens) with this one, could easily end in disappointment if they find that the data trends don't support continuing it (in this form) in future.

Also, my understanding is that I can save the coupon until there is one that I do want.

Yup, but the latest C-store ships (at the time folks start earning the coupon) will be blacklisted (see. not wanting to lose a major part of a revenue cycle.) However, if they continue with the system (and make a point of updating the list) then those ships will probably be available sometime after release. They can't say which ships this will include because they haven't been announced yet (everything we have now should be purchasable.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Sorry, folks. I missed that part of the livestream, and so corrected my earlier statement. The buyout DOES reward progress.
    GrWzQke.png
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Sorry, folks. I missed that part of the livestream, and so corrected my earlier statement. The buyout DOES reward progress.

I'm gonna hate myself for asking this but will the AFK penalties be in effect for these events ? Since the event is open to lvl 10 and above will lowbies be victims to DPS'ers and blocked from getting their coupons ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • brog1brog1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I did not get the 3box reward /skill point/ upgrade token, when i completed, only got the console and dilithium
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    On the boring side.

End dread is a bullet sponge that just sits idle, klink transports despawn at will, fed ones can go pop in seconds, the waves are no challenge to a ship with mk12 purples and the cutscene is once again unskippable.

The two transport section being merged into one phase may have made it a bit more interesting. Most of it is go to point A and shoot stuff before preceding to point B, C and so on.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    brog1 wrote: »
    I did not get the 3box reward /skill point/ upgrade token, when i completed, only got the console and dilithium

Same here. I didn't receive them either.
  • gabfalcongabfalcon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Take the fight to the Klingons and turn the tide of the war in Operation: Riposte! You can earn a brand new Elite Defense Satellite.

But there's more - we're starting a new program where playing TFOs can earn you a T6 ship! More details here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11138023

I'm sorry for my stupid question, but where do I see how many "coupon progress token" I have?
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    gabfalcon wrote: »
    I'm sorry for my stupid question, but where do I see how many "coupon progress token" I have?

It took me a while to spot it too. Click on the Event reputation and look in the lower left corner of the window.

gabfalcon wrote: »
    Take the fight to the Klingons and turn the tide of the war in Operation: Riposte! You can earn a brand new Elite Defense Satellite.

But there's more - we're starting a new program where playing TFOs can earn you a T6 ship! More details here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11138023

Character Journal -> Reputation Tab -> Bottom Left -> Coupon Progress Token "n/3000" (right above reward and info button at the very bottom left)
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Will there be new ships added to the store during this event? Because I've already bought all the T6 ships available.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Will we finally get more ship slots some day? How about some of those free ship slots I bought in packages which I miss out on because I'm at the limit?

I like the event so far and I'd be grinding Endeavors anyway.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Same here no three boxes of Spec Points/Upgrades. I suspect that the last minute decision to make this Weekend a Bonus Token Weekend caused a problem when adding the 500 Progress toward the T6 Ship. The other award dropped off.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It's actually a very good mission and not at all like Gateway to Gre'thor. Awesome. I especially liked the ship-capturing phase.

Unfortunately, there's the obligatory auto-win timers again, making actually playing the mission an entirely optional and mostly unrewarded activity. We'll see how far the sheer novelty of the mission can carry it. But I do expect it will be just another waiting mission before the event ends, especially with the ship coupon extending the reward window.
    It was a pretty good TFO. No wonder the Klingons eventually called off the war, we've vaporized so many of their ships they don't have anything left to fight with. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    GrWzQke.png
    OK, thanks. Somehow I knew the Dilitium Store would be used to clear this up.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    According to the livestream, progress towards the ship coupon is tracked across all toons on an account, so there won't be a way to earn multiple coupons at the same time.

so we cannot work to get say the MW cruisers with 3 toons? or one fed and one KDF????
    Spock.jpg

According to the livestream, progress towards the ship coupon is tracked across all toons on an account, so there won't be a way to earn multiple coupons at the same time.

so we cannot work to get say the MW cruisers with 3 toons? or one fed and one KDF????

You can only earn 1 (one) T6 Ship Coupon on an account.
    GrWzQke.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Might be able to depending on how much dilithium you make and the dilithium to zen exchange economy.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I'm not entirely sure what the story justification for this queue is.
    Are we going back in time to prevent a temporal incursion that alters the outcome of this battle in the Clingones' favor?
    Or is it a holodeck simulation for tactical purposes?

I initially was interested in getting a Free T6 ship, but after reading the responses in this thread about how long that will take, I'm not going to commit to playing this queue that many times, even considering the bonus days will shorten that duration of token collecting.
    I specifically purchased the token bundle so to minimise the amount of times I run this queue, so not looking to run it more then 3 times (4 times counting today's first run).

Also, as I don't watch Discovery and am not terribly interested in the Discovery concept, anything sourced from/or based on that show isn't entertaining to me.

szerontzur wrote: »
    While I realize this is probably getting a bit off-topic, the main point I was trying to get at is that I think there is so much more Event-potential for people to interact and engage with each other besides just running the same 'dungeons' over and over again.

I tend not to be interested in interaction during queues, due to the potential of flamehate dummyspits when someone takes offence to something I'm doing to help the team win or play batter.
    I've been abused for coaching a team to get past transformers in Cure Ground and also for avoiding the Thalaron death beam because one player kept triggering it every two seconds by themselves in Khitomer Space.

So now I just refuse to type in team chat or be social because it just makes those aggressive players acknowledge my presence/handle directly and target me for their rage.

But if someone wants to chat nicely, then out of courtesy, I will respond, because it means there's actually a pleasant player on the team.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    played it on several toons so far... I find it very dull and it's pretty long too. gonna be a chore to do this every day on multiple toons.