test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sponsorship Tokens, reimbursed?

renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
Will there EVER be a way to get back the marks that were used to create these now useless tokens? Normally I wouldn't mind, but my main used up a LOT of marks to make sponsorship tokens for those captains on my account who were further behind. I still have them. So, can't they make a way for us to recycle them??
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Past tense. Why didn't you...? Too late now.

Instead of getting back the Marks, maybe make them as 100 Mark Tokens that are consumed for Projects in lieu of/in addition to Marks spent.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No
    I have absolutely no skin in this game. I only made Tokens as I needed them. The only time I 'wasted' Tokens is when I had to create them for my Jem'Hadar Character. I had created a regular instead of a Vanguard and didn't realize there was a different type until about a month in.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    Didn't this already get argued to death when it first happened? :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited April 2019
    A follow up. In the absence of a definitive word people will do that.

Here's another thought. What else costs 100 Marks? Correct. Make these Sponsorship Tokens as an alternative input to creating an Elite Mark.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Not likely. The effort to implenent such a system would be better spent elsewhere.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    Here's another thought. What else costs 100 Marks? Correct. Make these Sponsorship Tokens as an alternative input to creating an Elite Mark.

Not a bad idea.

Yes, a simple window to transform, as the window to Exchange old materials...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    How about not telling people they will be able to do X in the first place?
    It's super easy. Just don't say anything until you are 100% sure its gonna happen.
    Then when it doesn't happen, no one can complain about something they didn't know got cut.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    How about not telling people they will be able to do X in the first place?
    It's super easy. Just don't say anything until you are 100% sure its gonna happen.
    Then when it doesn't happen, no one can complain about something they didn't know got cut.

Did Cryptic ever promise an exchange program? (Not just say they'll look into it / think about it / thank you for sharing.) I only recall players asking for it.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Actually, it was mentioned on one stream the posibility of doing that, but just the posibility, if it's easy to implement.. so... probably not that easy?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    Buffalo Sausage.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    I missed it.
    Didn't this already get argued to death when it first happened? :unamused:

By the same "token" they never said the whole idea of sponsorship tokens was going away either. THAT was the reason I created them, getting ready for ViL or whichever one it was tjat screwed me over.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @duasyn said:
    > How about not telling people they will be able to do X in the first place?
    > It's super easy. Just don't say anything until you are 100% sure its gonna happen.
    > Then when it doesn't happen, no one can complain about something they didn't know got cut.

Nobody at Cryptic EVER said there would be any way to trade in sponsorship tokens. Nobody even hinted that it was being considered.

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Why not make them as you needed rather than stockpiling?
    Yep this is what I always say.

OP, just think of it this way. You foolishly wasted marks in making all of your tokens and now all of your future characters are sponsored anyway. Problem solved.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User

OP, just think of it this way. You foolishly wasted marks in making all of your tokens and now all of your future characters are sponsored anyway. Problem solved.

Yes....foolish is following a system that has been in place for half a decade then suddenly they decided to change the system and couldn't put a exchange system in like they've done in the past for other such things?

I guess stupid us for following a reliable system the devs put in but suddenly decided to change?

Because stockpiling something for easy access is stupid? Using a system that has been around for years is stupid?

So I guess it's stupid to play STO, by your logic....because it's something that has been around for years and you obviously think it's stupid?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Nice way to twist someone's words around.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Thank you. :smile:
    lianthelia wrote: »

Yes....foolish is following a system that has been in place for half a decade then suddenly they decided to change the system and couldn't put a exchange system in like they've done in the past for other such things?

I guess stupid us for following a reliable system the devs put in but suddenly decided to change?

Because stockpiling something for easy access is stupid? Using a system that has been around for years is stupid?

So I guess it's stupid to play STO, by your logic....because it's something that has been around for years and you obviously think it's stupid?

I liked it. :wink:
    echatty wrote: »

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User

He said it was stupid to have done it....how much clearer can it be?

I stockpiled some and placed them in my shared bank because I'm a alt-o-holic....all I had to do is run to the bank the moment a character got to 50. It was simple and easy so I could get right into working towards rep gear without missing a step.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    CAVEAT: NO PROMISES

It's still something that's being looked at. They do want to do "something" with them, though. All I can advise is patience.

Let's please keep the discussion civil.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

He said it was stupid to have done it....how much clearer can it be?

I stockpiled some and placed them in my shared bank because I'm a alt-o-holic....all I had to do is run to the bank the moment a character got to 50. It was simple and easy so I could get right into working towards rep gear without missing a step.
    I said it's foolish. Foolish means that you showed poor judgement in a particular situation. In other words, you made a mistake. "Stupid" means that you lack intelligence. That's a whole different level and is definitely not what I said.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    First: as has been stated, people haven't lost anything compared to the old system. They would have used the tokens to get to level 6, they got to level 6. Getting something back would be a bonus.

Second, MMOs change things all the time, so anything you do in expectation of needing it in a few days/weeks/months time always carries the risk that you wouldn't be able to do it, or would be but it won't be worth doing it anymore due to changes in the system. While such changes are always annoying and mitigation is welcome, you should be aware every time you do something that it's going to be rendered "stupid" in the future.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a way of turning the tokens in at all, I just think there is absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to create this opportunity, especially since it'd take away resources.

As for "stockpiling", I can understand that though. While not with sponsorship tokens in particular, I often buy stuff before needed so I don't accidentally spend the resources elsewhere (e. g. impulse buying a rep impulse engine and suddenly having to gather new marks to pay for the tokens).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I have 16x of each kind held on one toon, what a waste.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Yes they did, the very moment that they announced that T6 Reps were coming and that hitting T5 in a Rep would provide sponsorship for that Rep account wide. Don't you read the blogs?
    Not often. I was too busy playing STO. :smile:
  • jr20mb13jr20mb13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    werent they only like 100 marks or something? you can make that in one tfo basically. not that big of a loss in my books. i just tossed mine.
    I have over 50 of them, all together.
This discussion has been closed.