test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why push aux2bat so hard?

booking8booking8 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
As the title says. I am wondering why Cryptic wants us all to fly aux2bat builds. There was supposed to be an update where there was no longer a reason to always choose an ability or console(plasma exploder nerf).
Yet browsing all the top builds for both pve and pvp, they are 95% aux2bat.
I am not complaining, i am just wondering why?

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Eh..Cold Hearted is usually in the A2B builds and that is a Nice Debuff every 10 seconds. down sides to A2B is well..No Aux and some of the Nukara traits scale on Aux giving you Damage or resistances..

With the Change to Photonic Officer people may go away from A2B (Its very useful on sci builds and is equal to or beter than a2b at higher boff levels)

Nobody uses Exploders anymore..Not since season 13.If your seeing a build with alot of them, Thats usually an indication its a Pre season 13 build (Feedback pulse is another indicator)

Keep in mind. TOP Builds are usually in pre-made teams where they support or debuff for the primary dpsr..Also..even if you copy paste a build onto your ship..You probably wont get the same dps as theres is usually more than meets the eye going on.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I don't see it as Cryptic trying to push everyone into using A2B. The fact is that A2B works, and works quite well so loads of people use it. Until something better comes along, or A2B gets a nerf, loads of people are still going to use it..And no, Cryptic does not need t drop the nerf hammer on A2B. Unlike the exploiters....I mean exploders... A2B is not ridiculously overpowered compared to other options, it just happens to be about the easiest (and cheapest) way to get your cooldowns as low as possible, providing high DPS numbers without requiring a lot of skill.
    I have several toons that don't run A2B as I have enough sets, traits etc that help with cooldowns on those that I do better by slotting other doffs in place of the technicians and other skills in place of A2B.

No matter what Cryptic does, other than forcing vanilla cookie cutter builds one us, there will always be one or two particular combinations of gear/skills that will be "better" than the rest without requiring a lot of skill to utilize, which means that there will always one one or two builds that the vast majority of players are going to use...until the next "best" combination is found.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • booking8booking8 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I am not calling for a nerf of any kind. As you pointed out, A2B is easy and effective.
    After struggling to break 100kdps on my main, i threw together an aux2bat build for an alt. No struggle needed.
    I researched what other people were doing and just noticed that pretty much every build (except the sci torp, space magic, minelayer builds etc) were a2b. Looking for alternatives leads to very expensive or wasteful builds.
    I was just wondering why there was not a similar cheap path to reach a good global cool down on abilities.
    All input is welcome =D
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    booking8 wrote: »
    I am not calling for a nerf of any kind. As you pointed out, A2B is easy and effective.
    After struggling to break 100kdps on my main, i threw together an aux2bat build for an alt. No struggle needed.
    I researched what other people were doing and just noticed that pretty much every build (except the sci torp, space magic, minelayer builds etc) were a2b. Looking for alternatives leads to very expensive or wasteful builds.
    I was just wondering why there was not a similar cheap path to reach a good global cool down on abilities.
    All input is welcome =D

Because until the recent change to Photonic Officer..There wasnt a cheap path for global cooldowns

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The shift toward Aux2Bat was caused by a number of things..

First of all, the introduction of the Cold Hearted trait.. but it was underway long before that. It started with the last 'rebalance of powers' aka.. Nerfmania!

In the last balance pass, Cryptic greatly reduced the effectiveness of many abilities and consoles that contributed to power levels as well as general cool downs. Where builds could previously get by with just a couple Emergency Powers and a Plasmonic Leach, now they found themselves lacking in certain areas. This caused a natural shift back to Aux2Bat due to the fact that A2B provides cheap and easy cooldown as well as power production for 3/4 of your subsystems. When you throw in things like Cold Hearted.. that is even more reason to go A2B.

The reason you see this in most of the 'top builds' is because those builds always seek to use the most effective methods. This should not however, be confused as a statement that nothing else is any good. There is nothing preventing you from using a different build for Energy weapons, it's just going to be a little more of a challenge to maintain your power levels while keeping your abilities at or near the global cooldown. You will need to use expensive traits like Supremacy to offset the loss from the Leach and you'll probably end up stacking traits, consoles and bridge officers that offer cooldown reductions. It will cost you more overall and will likely still end up being less effective then a far cheaper A2B build.

The shift is caused by the same thing that caused the shift from Beams to Cannons, and that's Cryptic being far too heavy handed in their 'balancing.' Just like the Embassy Consoles, the things that were 'adjusted' were really just rendered useless causing people to abandon them and move to something else. After all these years, Cryptic still doesn't understand that nerfs don't create parity.. they do the exact opposite. This is just another example.
    Insert witty signature line here.