test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (teaser)

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I had hoped midichlorians had been retconned at some point.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @alexmakepeace said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > On the other hand, Rey doesn't really have a teacher to pound that into her head. As a scavenger, she's used to working with broken things. She's shown a capacity to repair all kinds of equipment, even showing knowledge of BB-8 as well as quick workaround repairs of the Falcon. Due to how she grew up... she's not going to throw away something that can be repaired.
    >
    > She probably took the lightsaber for her own during the repair work. While it is not made by her hand, it has been inherrited and repaired. Besides... lightsaber crystals are probably pretty rare, and she's not gonna know what to look for or where. And the main one is a Kyber crystal. Where is she gonna find that? Better to work with what you have, which in this case is a broken lightsaber that already has everything she needs. All that's left to do is repair the damage.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On top of that, if you're so focused with the Skywalker family to the point that the finale of your third trilogy is The Rise of Skywalker, you're gonna want to have the Skywalker lightsaber that's been used by all force-sensitive Skywalkers.
    >
    > And speaking of force-sensitive Skywalkers, I've got a nagging suspicion that they're going to pull a "Rey is actually a Skywalker!" twist. No real evidence, mind, just a vague sense. I mean, it's not the first time we've had the writers do an abrupt about-face and say "these two characters are actually related!" I hope not, though, that would be lame. It would explain why Rey is so powerful, since the Skywalker family seems to be particularly strong in the Force (being conceived by midichlorians, after all), and Hollywood Law demands that specialness is inherited from ancestors, rather than arises independantly. I hope not, though Rey Skywalker would be a lame twist.

Anakin was not concieved by the Midichloreans, his birth was caused by Palpatine, using the power created by Darth Plaugius to manipulate the Midichloreans to create life. The "chosen one" and the prophecy itself were Sith ceeated lies.
    Both of those fall under the heading of "Legends" - the only information given in the movies was that Shmi didn't know how she became pregnant, which given the level of medical knowledge we've seen in a lot of SW seems plausible (these are people who think a healthy person can die of a "broken heart"; what are the odds they have no idea how pregnancy works?).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    a healthy person...who just had her throat crushed

and you CAN die of a broken heart, just like you can die from extreme fright​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited April 2019
    That's... not actually correct, Shadow. "A broken heart" is sadness. The only way you "die of a broken heart" is via suicide - it's not a medical condition, it's a psychological one.

And we can treat victims of blunt-force trauma to the larynx in our world. Such a patient would be stabilized before labor proceeded, or placed on life support until after birth, not just slapped onto a table with a metal privacy skirt while being tended by a single doctor. No, the only conclusion I can reach is that the introduction of kolto, then bacta, so slowed the development of medical technology in the SW universe that a mediocre doctor from our Earth would be a university professor on Coruscant.

(There is precedent in fiction - the Kelgians in James White's Sector General stories, for instance, have very little in the way of skeletal structure, and are supported by rings of strong muscle along their caterpillar-like bodies. Since they must be nourished with much blood, the end result is that almost any incised wound is quickly fatal to a Kelgian, and they didn't develop much in the way of surgery until after joining the Confederation. On another tack, there's Harry Turtledove's short, "The Road Not Taken", in which most species across the galaxy discover the underlying principles behind FTL early on. These principles are at variance with most of the physical sciences, so those races tend not to develop things like advanced metallurgy or fixed-wing aircraft. When a conquering starship arrives at Earth, they're quickly overwhelmed and defeated shortly after landing, because since we didn't find those principles, our technology developed along quite a different path. Then in the end, two of the captives realize with dawning horror that they've given us FTL...)

Edit: The censor didn't like the word I chose to describe the medical progress of SW; while the most correct word, it's also been repurposed by some as an insult.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited April 2019
    and i wasn't talking to you - you weren't the one who pointed out dying from broken hearts doesn't actually happen, when not only DOES it happen, it even has its own medical condition

though, i would like to see your source about lucasfilm saying what disney material is/isn't canon - so i have proof to shove into some arrogant TRIBBLE's face the next time they try to say supplementary material in star wars isn't canon​​

#LegalizeAwoo

well...they kind of have to be careful canonizing games like battlefront...IIRC, you can use ANY character you've unlocked in any battle you want - even ones that character never actually participated in...i'm fairly certain palaptine never fought in the battle of hoth​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    > @alexmakepeace said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > On the other hand, Rey doesn't really have a teacher to pound that into her head. As a scavenger, she's used to working with broken things. She's shown a capacity to repair all kinds of equipment, even showing knowledge of BB-8 as well as quick workaround repairs of the Falcon. Due to how she grew up... she's not going to throw away something that can be repaired.
    >
    > She probably took the lightsaber for her own during the repair work. While it is not made by her hand, it has been inherrited and repaired. Besides... lightsaber crystals are probably pretty rare, and she's not gonna know what to look for or where. And the main one is a Kyber crystal. Where is she gonna find that? Better to work with what you have, which in this case is a broken lightsaber that already has everything she needs. All that's left to do is repair the damage.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On top of that, if you're so focused with the Skywalker family to the point that the finale of your third trilogy is The Rise of Skywalker, you're gonna want to have the Skywalker lightsaber that's been used by all force-sensitive Skywalkers.
    >
    > And speaking of force-sensitive Skywalkers, I've got a nagging suspicion that they're going to pull a "Rey is actually a Skywalker!" twist. No real evidence, mind, just a vague sense. I mean, it's not the first time we've had the writers do an abrupt about-face and say "these two characters are actually related!" I hope not, though, that would be lame. It would explain why Rey is so powerful, since the Skywalker family seems to be particularly strong in the Force (being conceived by midichlorians, after all), and Hollywood Law demands that specialness is inherited from ancestors, rather than arises independantly. I hope not, though Rey Skywalker would be a lame twist.

Anakin was not concieved by the Midichloreans, his birth was caused by Palpatine, using the power created by Darth Plaugius to manipulate the Midichloreans to create life. The "chosen one" and the prophecy itself were Sith ceeated lies.

Conception, creation, either way the Skywalker family is something annoyingly special when it comes to the Force, and Hollywood has a strange aversion to giving people native power (as opposed to being bitten by a radioactive spider or something) without that person's ancestors also having that power, even if they have to recton the story to do it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I can only think of two instances where a game was considered canon.

Star Trek
    Aliens: Colonial Marines

In the first instance, it centered around Enterprise dealing with the Gorn between 2009 and Into Darkness. And is technically referenced in Into Darkness as McCoy told Carol Marcus he helped deliver a baby Gorn while they were working to open up one of those advanced Torpedos. While not actually witnessed by Kirk and Spock during the game, McCoy reports that he had to deliver baby Gorn after Sulu stunned a female. "They came out all teeth and claws" I believe was what he said over the open channel.

Colonial Marines was set up as a direct sequel to the movie Aliens, covers the ultimate fate of the Sulaco, and retcons Hicks dying before Alien 3.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > no, it literally IS correct
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takotsubo_cardiomyopathy​​

I was not saying you were incorrect shadow, I was talking about Palpatine creating Anakin not being "Legends" and being actual canon. Jon asserted that it was "Legends" which is incorrect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/12/20/star-wars-comic-anakin-father/amp/
    So, you're proposing that an easily-diagnosable (by 20th-century Earth medicine!) condition, a variety of cardiomyopathy, is not only undetectable but untreatable by SW medical tech - and this is an argument against their medical technology being inferior to ours?

Consider - when was the last time outside of a Victorian novel or a cheap romance that you learned of someone literally dying of a "broken heart"? Treated for cardiomyopathy, certainly, but if the event isn't sudden, resulting in immediate death, standard medical treatments are highly effective in correcting the condition.

Further, the available data on Padme Amidala's pathology would indicate that she was not suffering Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, as she had exhibited no evidence of chest pain, and the emotional stressor to which you would credit this event had occurred some time previously, probably on the order of days.

In short, you're being incredibly nitpicky over a point of little actual import, aside from indicating the low level of medical technology available to the SW universe outside kolto and bacta - oh, and prosthetics, they've got us beat all hollow there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Star Trek
    Aliens: Colonial Marines

In the first instance, it centered around Enterprise dealing with the Gorn between 2009 and Into Darkness. And is technically referenced in Into Darkness as McCoy told Carol Marcus he helped deliver a baby Gorn while they were working to open up one of those advanced Torpedos. While not actually witnessed by Kirk and Spock during the game, McCoy reports that he had to deliver baby Gorn after Sulu stunned a female. "They came out all teeth and claws" I believe was what he said over the open channel.

Colonial Marines was set up as a direct sequel to the movie Aliens, covers the ultimate fate of the Sulaco, and retcons Hicks dying before Alien 3.

If the Star Trek game is canon, then that would mean that it affects the Prime Universe Gorn in addition to the Kelvin Gorn since the common belief is that the timeline branched in 2233 due to the destruction of the USS Kelvin. So the Prime Universe Gorn are from another galaxy since the Gorn in the Star Trek game are from another galaxy. Even though, there is absolutely no evidence of it in any of the Star Trek TV series or movies before Star Trek 2009.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    As terrible as the new movies are, they are still better then the prequels.

The big problem with the new trilogy is, as they have admitted, they really just threw a whole bunch of stuff into the movies, like Ray's mysterious parents, with no real thought or plan on how they were going to expand on that in the later movies.

They literally just winged every single one, and it shows.

Actually the thing is, JJ Abrams did write a notebook thing on what should be covered in the next 2 movies while he was making the force awakens and he intended for the future directors to use those points to expand upon the characters he created.

In the end however Ryan Johnson yeeted that thing out the TRIBBLE window and purposefully did the opposite of what everyone expected on major things just to be a contrarian.

I mean yeah JJ Abrams isn't that great at directing movies but he did leave a plan behind for what to do but the future directors just said TRIBBLE it.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    jonsills wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    >

I was not saying you were incorrect shadow, I was talking about Palpatine creating Anakin not being "Legends" and being actual canon. Jon asserted that it was "Legends" which is incorrect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/12/20/star-wars-comic-anakin-father/amp/
    So, you're proposing that an easily-diagnosable (by 20th-century Earth medicine!) condition, a variety of cardiomyopathy, is not only undetectable but untreatable by SW medical tech - and this is an argument against their medical technology being inferior to ours?

Consider - when was the last time outside of a Victorian novel or a cheap romance that you learned of someone literally dying of a "broken heart"? Treated for cardiomyopathy, certainly, but if the event isn't sudden, resulting in immediate death, standard medical treatments are highly effective in correcting the condition.

Further, the available data on Padme Amidala's pathology would indicate that she was not suffering Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, as she had exhibited no evidence of chest pain, and the emotional stressor to which you would credit this event had occurred some time previously, probably on the order of days.

In short, you're being incredibly nitpicky over a point of little actual import, aside from indicating the low level of medical technology available to the SW universe outside kolto and bacta - oh, and prosthetics, they've got us beat all hollow there.

A few books I read in legends explained it away as anakin choking her did lasting damage and she managed to hold on just long enough to give birth but combined with a lack of ability to breathe and the trauma of childbirth she died. Makes a bit more sense than the whole "broken heart" thing that they went with in the movie.
    westx211 wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    >

A few books I read in legends explained it away as anakin choking her did lasting damage and she managed to hold on just long enough to give birth but combined with a lack of ability to breathe and the trauma of childbirth she died. Makes a bit more sense than the whole "broken heart" thing that they went with in the movie.

I believe this perfectly explains the idiocy of that scene. Warning: Language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKtZ_r0V6E

which i already pointed out - and at no point did i ever say anything about the validity of that scene or the quality of SW medical tech, either, i was responding PURELY to the FALSE statement that it isn't possible to die of a broken heart - jonsills not only moved the goalposts, he spore-jumped them to another forking universe entirely​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I personally saw the movie scene as a metaphor really. If a person is tired of living they're more likely to die of things that aren't really life threatening otherwise. Pretty much what happened with my grandfather. After grandma died he just kinda sat around and waited to die. :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I personally saw the movie scene as a metaphor really. If a person is tired of living they're more likely to die of things that aren't really life threatening otherwise. Pretty much what happened with my grandfather. After grandma died he just kinda sat around and waited to die. :/

I find that explanation to be a betrayal of Padme's character. She is far too responsible to her unborn children and people to die to a 'broken heart.' An assassination ordered by the Emperor makes far more sense. She could break the hold that the Emperor has on Vader so she would be a threat to his plans and needed to die. There should be numerous ways in the Star Wars universe to make an assassination look like a natural death.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'm not going to waste my time and money with this movie, I'm keeping the boycott going on my end
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      I'm not going to waste my time and money with this movie, I'm keeping the boycott going on my end
      Then I can assume that you won't be posting endlessly on how terrible it is, basing opinions on pure ignorance, as so many others have been doing with various things?
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      The Last Jedi left that bitter taste.
      That's why I'm not bothering with Episode 9
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Star Trek

The Star Trek game was never and could never be canon. It is not a film or TV series and not made by CBS but under Paramount's licence (who do not own the IP and can't set the canon as Abrams found out).
        The Gorn comments in ID are canon only in the context of the film and equally refer to anybodies headcanon, even the game's headcanon.
        If you want to believe that McCoy is referring to the game when he says the lines feel free but it's exactly as valid as believing he's referring to passing out in a bar on Nimbus and waking up and has to deliver Gornlings. Neither are canon and both are equally non-canon.​​
        22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
        Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
        JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
        'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
        'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
        '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
        'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
        '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
        Then I can assume that you won't be posting endlessly on how terrible it is, basing opinions on pure ignorance, as so many others have been doing with various things?

Its not basing opinions on pure ignorance, people have tons of reasons for disliking the movie that came before and they are allowed to voice their opinions and the evidence supporting those opinions. The only ignorance comes from those who say that because you say the movie is terrible you are ignorant.

Ironic
        I think he was referring to the recent spat of people railing against Captain Marvel before it came out.

While I respect raven's position, there's still the issue of judgement before evidence which is what I believe jonsils is getting at. We don't know if Ep 9 will redeem the trilogy after the fiasco that was Ep 8 yet. Its a bit like saying "I'm going to judge and boycott Star Trek 6 based on Star Trek 5." As of right now we have little information on Ep 9, and for the most part I'm sure fans, while excited, are also a bit weary of a possible letdown after Ep 8 left a sour note behind.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
        I think he was referring to the recent spat of people railing against Captain Marvel before it came out.
        Well, that too, but what I really had in mind was all the folks telling us in one breath how they've never watched DSC and aren't going to, and in the next how terrible it is and how it just "ignores canon", based on nothing more than their own prejudices. (Then again, there are the people who've never played Fallout 76 and want to tell me how bad it is as well, which is fine for them I guess - they'll have to wait to tell me that until after we're done killing the Scorchbeast Queen, though, and then I need to go find a rad ant so I can make Rad Ant Lager for Biv, and the new Burrows dungeon has just opened, and I still need to find out what happened to those prewar hikers van Lowe was on about...)

Look, if you watch a movie and don't like it, well, I might disagree with your opinion, but it's your opinion. If you're not going to "bother with it", then let's not spend way too long having to scroll through your dissertation on why something you know nothing about sucks, okay?
        Lorna-Wing-sig.png
        Makes sense to me.
        edited April 2019
        (Then again, there are the people who've never played Fallout 76 and want to tell me how bad it is as well, which is fine for them I guess - they'll have to wait to tell me that until after we're done killing the Scorchbeast Queen, though, and then I need to go find a rad ant so I can make Rad Ant Lager for Biv, and the new Burrows dungeon has just opened, and I still need to find out what happened to those prewar hikers van Lowe was on about...)

My opinion of Fallout 76 is the same as No Man's Sky. Game with lots of potential that had an extremely lousy launch which could eventually redeem itself. I have said before that No Man's Sky at launch was a very good Early Access game. However, Fallout 76 definitely suffered from the lack of companions and npcs. Hopefully, the Wastelanders expansions will add some companions and npcs to Fallout 76.