test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery 2x13: Such Sweet Sorrow

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Plus if S3 is set in the far future, how do we get Spock back to the 23rd century in time for TOS?
    There's this technique you can use where you take a warp-drive ship into a close slingshot-style orbit around a star... :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And finally, between all the Trek shows in general, we have seen so many alien races, and alien entities, that its difficult to think of something that Trek hasn't done, like at least three times. We have everything from intelligent species based on every kind of animal from cats and dogs, birds and fish, snakes and turtles, to species ranging from military states, religious powers, warrior nations of every stripe, and merchant races of various scruples. Anything they think of now will just be easily pointed out as a copy of some alien from the previous shows. But, to be fair, this was a problem all the way back in late TNG, which is why they started focusing more on fan favorites like the Klingons and Romulans.
    This is a big issue with the alien-of-the-week format. It limits how much you can learn about a race while simultaneously making most of them less interesting. I'd LOVE to have seen the Acamarians more than ONCE! We learned more about their culture in one episode than we learned about the Klingons in all of TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I agree with them. Those corridors were cheap redressings of the Disco, and I'd get a HEADACHE on their bridge with all that bright glare.

And those escape tubes....that was laughable but not in a good way.

Ya sure watch 2 and a half hour videos fast, Som.

Some of us still care. :/
    I never said I watched their 2+ hour video, in fact, I explicitly stated I stopped watching their videos after hearing "BUT THE PRIME UNIVERSE IS BASED ON LOOKS!" argument for the 500th time.

As for the escape tubes, I have no problem with them. They are a logical "Star Trek" version of typical sci-fi escape/ship-to-ship connector tubes, which generally have a walkway surrounded by some sort of tubing. With Star Trek's tech, simply making a frame, and them filling in the gaps using forcefields, is a more space effective way that uses Star Trek's tech to its advantage.

Are we back to people complaining because things don't look like "cardboard sets in a garage"?

*coughrogueonecough*
    Star Wars never looked like TOS. That it was done on a movie budget a decade later is definitely visible in the quality of its sets and design.
    It also has the advantage of never pretending to be humanity's future.

Star Wars was designed to look realistic in ANH which is why RO and Solo worked now. TOS was not designed to look realistic, it was stylised from the start. For some reason smokebailey keeps mentioning Star Wars as though it has anything to do with TOS in any way.​​

Looking like cheap junk slapped together is 'realistic'?

to ME if Sw's can keep the 70's junk look, Trek can look just as fine, as Phase 2, Axxanar and Star Trek Continues showed.

Never understood how boxy and kibbly means 'advanced'.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Queen Po:

- Can crystalize dilithium
    - Cannot crystalize water
    - I Love Science
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    Queen Po:

- Can crystalize dilithium
    - Cannot crystalize water
    - I Love Science

It is possible that there is something in the atmosphere of her planet that prevents ice formation. After all, stuff that we take for granted might be far more difficult on other planets.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    i don't suppose there's a YT clip of it, since i can't watch the actual episode to see it?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Superb in my opinion. The last time I was left sitting on the edge of my seat in that way was when Riker told Worf to 'Fire' in BOBW.

funnily enough, that was the exact comment at the top of the comment section as of the time of my posting​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    now if we can just get the music they used there...but so far, it doesn't look like ANY of the S2 soundtrack has been released​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    i don't suppose there's a YT clip of it, since i can't watch the actual episode to see it?​​

https://youtu.be/Z4dtpGJF5wk

Superb in my opinion. The last time I was left sitting on the edge of my seat in that way was when Riker told Worf to 'Fire' in BOBW. That "Shields up" and "Prepare for Battle" gave me chills!

All I could notice of intriguing was that the Enterprise is on the starboard of Discovery. And their computer says the exact opposite.

Also, the pure 2D configuration of the Section 31 ships surrounding the two ships only made me chuckle because I thought that all Discovery has to do to win is to wait all those ships to charge their weapons and spore-drive its way out while Enterprise pulls a simple "Z-10,000 meters" just as they fire for an ungodly and comical amount of friendly fire.

Oh, and there is also the whole "just spore-drive far away to give themselves plenty of time unopposed to solve the problem" that plagues this episode.

So yeah, only the first shot impressed me with the 2 hero ships and their shuttles facing off the warping enemies, the rest not so much.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    valoreah wrote: »
    Not even TNG had that.

If they insist on nothing but prequels, we're gonna have the hot irons at their feet.
    stop the prequel nonsense, since since 2002, it's been prequel, prequel, prequel.

Enough, already. Go foreword, for once.

From 1987 to 2001 you essentially had sequels. There are still plenty of stories to tell in the pre-ENT or post-TOS eras.

Prequels limit creativity since the prequels are restricted by the originals. So a prequel can't have Qo'noS destroyed since it exists in the other Star Trek series unless it uses an idiotic time travel reset. Sequels don't have the restrictions that prequels have.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Not even TNG had that.

If they insist on nothing but prequels, we're gonna have the hot irons at their feet.
    stop the prequel nonsense, since since 2002, it's been prequel, prequel, prequel.

From 1987 to 2001 you essentially had sequels. There are still plenty of stories to tell in the pre-ENT or post-TOS eras.

Prequels limit creativity since the prequels are restricted by the originals. So a prequel can't have Qo'noS destroyed since it exists in the other Star Trek series unless it uses an idiotic time travel reset. Sequels don't have the restrictions that prequels have.
    But if you want a Star Trek story, you already want limit creativity. It can't be a story about Vulcans that swing Light Sabers, or about the Earth Alliance Star Force Division making their first contact with the Scarran, because that isn't "Star Trek".

Constraints are not necessarily bad for creativity. Sometimes they is what really makes you come up with a good story. You need the boundaries.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2019
    and if you need to resort to blowing up a well-known planet to tell your story, well...you were NEVER creative to begin with​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Speaking in generalities, a prequel is more restrictive than a sequel if it is set during a time period in which there is established canon on both "sides" of the story(where Discovery is). That said, the video game Knights of the Old Republic is a prequel, but has almost unlimited freedom because it is set to FAR (thousands of years) before the movies that there is really no way there will be a conflict (aside from the obvious "blowing up main planets" thing).

However, it is certainly true that Discovery is more constrained on both ends than a series set post Nemesis, since post Nemesis has no established canon on the far end(immediately speaking, not the distant temporal accords). But it's ok to tell a constrained story if it's a good story that actually fits into place. You could have a good show with a constrained story and a bad show with a less limited story, so neither option makes something good or bad in itself.

The obvious benefit of setting your story near a known period is using known characters that people already like. Discovery obviously went for his hard by having the main character be Spock's step sister so they could bring him in, and by extension Pike and the Enterprise. And S2 has been a pretty massive hit, so it looks like it worked.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Discovery is set in a time period where there is very, very limited (almost non-existant) canon. There are not as many restrictions on what they can do as some people like to believe.

Yeah, there isn't really much(any?) real canon on the specific time/year disco is set. It is the canon immediately after if that creates some challenges to the writers.

To use a very easy example, they can't have a form of travel that is better than warp without having to eventually get rid of it, because we know that they use warp in TOS and futures series. If they were doing a series post Nemesis they wouldn't have that issue, because there is no canon saying they didn't come up with something better than warp after Nemesis.

So yes, setting a show immediately before existing shows does put upon it many constraints that don't exist if you set it after the last movie. However, as mentioned in my previous post it's ok to have those constraints as long the story is a good one and actually fits in place.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    and if you need to resort to blowing up a well-known planet to tell your story, well...you were NEVER creative to begin with​​
    I disagree with this notion. Blowing up a well-known planet can be useful natively to give the story an impact that otherwise wouldn't be achieved if you just blow up "randomly introduced planet Y"

Though, like all things, it needs to be done correctly.
    Which Star Trek 2009 didn't do.

I mean, what was the lasting impact on the Federation after Vulcan was destroyed? Spock is more emotional than the Prime one... and that's it. There is zero indication the destruction of Vulcan had significant consequences for the Federation in the next movies.

You'd think such an horrifying event would lead to some chaos or uncertainty, like some Federation worlds going all Article 50/Federexit because they don't want to be a target to evil time travelers who seem to have a beef with it, or felt their safety can't be guaranteed since it almost lost 2 core worlds and got a whole fleet wrecked by one ship, or that some people would want to obliterate the Romulans as a preemptive strike, especially surviving Vulcans going mad with grief, feeling Romulan genocide is only logical.

The only thing you could argue about was Section 31 getting more brutal, but even then, it sounded more like it was because of the Klingons and the attack on Earth, than losing Vulcan.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I want the Discovery Enterprise bridge as an option for Discovery era ships ad their 25th century variants
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Not even TNG had that.

But if you want a Star Trek story, you already want limit creativity. It can't be a story about Vulcans that swing Light Sabers, or about the Earth Alliance Star Force Division making their first contact with the Scarran, because that isn't "Star Trek".

Constraints are not necessarily bad for creativity. Sometimes they is what really makes you come up with a good story. You need the boundaries.

But technology is almost always secondary to the story. It doesn't matter if it is Vulcans swinging Light Sabers or the Star Trek equivalent. Only in stories has the technology as the main point to the story does the technology actually matter instead of being technobabble.
      to hell with KT vulcan - what about prime ROMULUS? literally the ONLY reason JJ blew up romulus was to...what, give a reason for his timeline to exist?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

yeah - a series NOT made by abrams...someone else is having to make up for his LACK of creativity​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited April 2019
      honestly, he wasn't much more creative in star wars...his big bad superweapon was basically an amalgam of the death star (destroys planets) and the galaxy gun from legends (can fire at any location in the galaxy from a semi-static point)

but yes...the first 10 minutes or so of 2009 is well worth the rest of the movie being...lukewarm at best - THAT part was done beautifully, down to the choice of music

and to keep things semi-on topic for a discovery episode thread...less than 48 hours to go for the conclusion - hopefully the actual battle against control's fleet is as good as the build-up was​​

#LegalizeAwoo

oh, i don't doubt l'rell will be bringing ships - but it will likely be from her own house only unless she (or tyler, but he's not likely to appear before the high council because that would mean revealing he's still alive) can coax some others into joining the fight, since she doesn't need permission from the council to deploy her house's forces - just other houses​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
      Not even TNG had that.

Which I've barely seen in disco >_>
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,212 Arc User
      Not even TNG had that.

Which I've barely seen in disco >_>

I hesitate to ask this as I really like you and have a great deal of respect for you and your artistic talent.

However, I have to ask - do you even watch Discovery? And if you do, why? I mean, from the stories to the asthetic and the characters, you seem to hate everything about it.

I mean, I tried watching The Orville and, for various reasons (entirely personal and therefore not worth elaborating upon) decided it wasn't to my taste. What I haven't done is continue watching it for the sole purpose of picking it all apart and posting my distaste of it on various forums/FB groups.

People are allowed to dislike things and voice the reasons why they dislike things to build arguments to why something is bad. I absolutely hate Last Jedi with a fury, but I watched it a couple of times while its on Netflix in order to form up the reasons exactly why it doesn't work for me and why I think its a terrible work of fiction. Plus people who praise discovery constantly go on about how "its good now they're doing good now" so some people might be inclined to check out a newer episode or two and then find out its still just as bad to them as it always was, and so they might, through some alternative sources(Disco is on netflix outside of us and canada and a vpn can allow access to those servers) watch the episodes to build up new arguments for why they think its bad.
      Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.