test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whats the worst ground mission?

ecjones2ecjones2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Anyone honest will tell you there are zero Good ground missions, but the kobali ground missions have to be the worst. Have you found any that reprehensible?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Someone either hasn't had to deal with, or has forgotten about, Of Bajor.
    Nothing against Bajorans in my case. Its just a lot of busywork fetch quests to show off the map.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    coliseum ,there is no escape from the wasteland

kobali ,one needs to research abit and equip the bos good
    of bajor if one develops a strategie for the mini games then it is fairly quick

good ground , i enjoy time and tide ,jabberwocky ...
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It's not ground only but I hate HATE Ragnarok, I was so relieved that they made it skippable.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Does the mission have to be still in the game? If not its that fire caves one, lol
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Oh god I remember the fire caves. The routing was so terrible in that one, there were times I had to fight the Pah Wraith alone because my BOffs couldn't navigate the bridges.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    My boffs hated that mission so much they would just jump off the bridges and die. :'(
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    1. You're wrong.
    2. Why even make this incredibly negative thread?
    3. You're wrong.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Coliseum and Of Bajor.. are .. awful.

Most of them I like.. I also do regular runs of Elite Ground TFO's and I enjoy them as well.

Lately, I have found ground combat more fun then space because it seems less laggy. I don't have a problem with the Kobali Ground Missions, they're pretty straight forward and easy.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User

Most of them I like.. I also do regular runs of Elite Ground TFO's and I enjoy them as well.

Lately, I have found ground combat more fun then space because it seems less laggy. I don't have a problem with the Kobali Ground Missions, they're pretty straight forward and easy.

Indeed. Really enjoy ground myself.

The fire caves weren't bad, except that boffs had trouble with it. When i ran that mission i made sure that i had a full load of engineers with mortars with me so they could be of some use.

One mission i absolutely LOVED was the old one from the Borg Storyline. Inside the cube with loads and loads of Borg while back then the power creep had not yet caught up. Playing that mission on advanced or elite had just epic proportions.

The new version of that map looks nice, but IMO it just lacked the epic of the old one. Less borg to kill and the path is pretty straight forward.

A for the Kobali missions, they're not too bad. Almost easy with some of the new modules. It does require one to pay attention to map though.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Of Bajor isn't much fun, but as has been stated: if you know which mini game to choose it is done quickly and not that bad.

I do not like Coliseum as well, especially the second part after exiting the arena is extremely long without much to do. Way more running than Of Bajor.

I do dislike the Ground part of Broken Circle, which has to be the most unimaginative of the more recent missions (here, space ain't much better - and I do like the Iconian arc, just not this mission).

As for "zero good missions" I will join the chorus of disagreers. I like the whole Wasteland arc (Nimbus III), I enjoy the Kobali map (the respawn on the first part is a bit quick though, my boffs always get distracted when they should be talking to me), Cutting the Cord is nice, although it gets more stale than others if you run it for the umpteenth time, some of the Romulan (toon) missions are also great, and while I don't know why I always enjoy Facility 4028 though I'll agree that it also doesn't score high in the creativity department and has some of the unskippable cutscenes of which one leads directly to a battle.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Step Between the Stars would be my personal choice. I HATED the EV thruster suit portion.

Ran that mission enough to become pretty good with the EV section. Always loathed the fight against the undine with the crappy ship and scripted arrival of the undine.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    And lets not forget the final knife twisting hurrah of step between was to unequip your traits because they pushed you into a poorly equipped t5 that was overlooked when the level cap raised and scaling became a thing.

Ground sections are often either so short you wonder why you had to beam down in the first place or have a map thats so huge they feel the need to make you traverse it entirely. Some of the maps are good but seriously let down by what you do in them.

Some are also hampered by the bad writing that accompanies what you're meant to do, such as the "stealth" missions where kurland or tuvok are constantly badgering you over coms.

AI pathing has always been a known issue, fire caves has been mentioned. Tholian mothership section in the tos tutorial, survivor, instalation 18, at least a couple of borg cube interiors, geordi getting his head stuck in the top of doors and of course the premiere episode of VIL where they made the pathing even worse due to the verticality which broke the boff go here marks.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    What I dislike? Someone who comes in and posts threads like this and then sits back to watch what happens without entering the discourse anymore.

Not cool.

I'm not a fan of ground myself, but the only one that is really bad IMO is Kobali ground, though it's not as bad as it was when it was first introduced.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Coliseum, that was a tedious one from the maths puzzle all the way to the end
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
      Coliseum should either be removed or completely overhauled IMO.

Of Bajor is just a bore. Coliseum is annoying as hell AND boring.
    • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

I would say "Of Bajor" is worse then awful it was boring and pointless, though what's really sad is that it would have been easy to fix, instead leading the player by the hand to each and every location for dailies, had quest giver say to the playe essentially "there's plenty of tasks to do here, go explore".

Only ground missions I really can say I truly dislike, aka the ones I keep on disliking after I'm done with them, instead of just being fed up at the time I'm doing them are the ones that are just boring like "Of Bajor" or ones that just seem unfair and beating them seems like you didn't beat them because of your skills but rather because you found the "correct way" to do it.
    • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
      edited April 2019
      The beginning of Storm Clouds Gather, where you have to run back and forth around DS9 multiple times to listen to Cryptic's "look how many voice actors we got for ViL" -show is my personal un-favorite. They should've put the "talk to everyone" in a cutscene so I could skip it.
    • celticvengencecelticvengence Member Posts: 17 Arc User
      For worst, though the names escape me in many cases. The one where you get captured and have to fight in the arena, the one at the end of that arc where you fight solo through the city, are probably the ones I hate most because I like my away team and removing them just makes me hate the mission. I used to hate the bajor one with all the running around doing stupid activities, but I don't think it exists any longer. I hate the one with the hurq on DS9 because my officers keep getting stuck leaving me to fight the hurq all alone.

I used to dislike the Kobali, but these days I actually find myself enjoying it. I think because they made all three sections in a row instead of spread out, so I can just progress naturally through the map.

That out of the way, though I don't like ground combat much I don't just blindly think all the ground content is bad. Many of the missions themselves are enjoyable and the stories in them interesting. Especially like Quark's Lucky Seven, the whole of the Nimbus III arc is fun, Circles within Circles I think is the one in the dyson sphere which I enjoy decently. There are others that escape me at the moment.
      azrael605 wrote: »
      > @celticvengence said:
      > For worst, though the names escape me in many cases. The one where you get captured and have to fight in the arena, the one at the end of that arc where you fight solo through the city, are probably the ones I hate most because I like my away team and removing them just makes me hate the mission. I used to hate the bajor one with all the running around doing stupid activities, but I don't think it exists any longer. I hate the one with the hurq on DS9 because my officers keep getting stuck leaving me to fight the hurq all alone.
      >
      > I used to dislike the Kobali, but these days I actually find myself enjoying it. I think because they made all three sections in a row instead of spread out, so I can just progress naturally through the map.
      >
      > That out of the way, though I don't like ground combat much I don't just blindly think all the ground content is bad. Many of the missions themselves are enjoyable and the stories in them interesting. Especially like Quark's Lucky Seven, the whole of the Nimbus III arc is fun, Circles within Circles I think is the one in the dyson sphere which I enjoy decently. There are others that escape me at the moment.

The first one you mention is Collesium, the second is Cutting the Cord. Of Bajor has not been removed. Circles within Circles is a ship mission in the Sphere, not ground.

Thanks I just couldn't recall playing the Of Bajor one last time through a character, maybe I skipped it.

Well not Circles within Circles then, it is whichever one where you escape through the arch and end up in the sphere with Worf and the other major NPCs. I liked that one a lot for some reason.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Well, if you haven't played 'Of Bajor' yet, you're going to have to play it to get to the next Episodes in the Arc. Arcs only in the 'Availible' Tab require you to play each one in order, if you hadn't played the Arc before.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
      ltminns wrote: »
      Well, if you haven't played 'Of Bajor' yet, you're going to have to play it to get to the next Episodes in the Arc. Arcs only in the 'Availible' Tab require you to play each one in order, if you hadn't played the Arc before.

Ahh that is what it is, the last few characters I worked on I didn't bother with non-episode missions and that one is no longer part of the regular episode list.
    • vansine#0515 vansine Member Posts: 54 Arc User
      I think many ground missions are fun, like Kobali and many in Beyond the Nexus. Quark's Lucky 7 is amazing, and RIP the few Foundry missions I played. However, the ground MECHANICS and UI are trash, although somewhat better than 3 years ago when I first played. Using cover is pretty standard in shooters now, and BOFF AI needs an overhaul to not just spam enemies, but adjust for type and strength.
      edited April 2019
      I think many ground missions are fun, like Kobali and many in Beyond the Nexus. Quark's Lucky 7 is amazing, and RIP the few Foundry missions I played. However, the ground MECHANICS and UI are trash, although somewhat better than 3 years ago when I first played. Using cover is pretty standard in shooters now, and BOFF AI needs an overhaul to not just spam enemies, but adjust for type and strength.

Beyond the nexus? Does that even count as ground combat? Run it once and you know where everything beams in and it dies the 2nd time you play the mission. Horribly scripted. Nice interior, but horribly scripted.
    • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      That Mission was an Infomercial.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
      it is whichever one where you escape through the arch and end up in the sphere with Worf and the other major NPCs. I liked that one a lot for some reason.
      That would be Sphere of Influence
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
      avoozuul wrote: »
      It's not ground only but I hate HATE Ragnarok, I was so relieved that they made it skippable.

I used to run Ragnarok just for the loot. I'd fill half my inventory on some of my characters. Cryptic's own version of Loot-O-Matic.
    • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
      edited April 2019
      The best ground mission by far is a queue. Defend Rhillo Station. The second best IMO is Nimbus in general and the Voth Battlezone (ground) isn't far behind.The worst is hard to say because in general, ground is way better than space IMO. But the worst that I can think of is probably A Step Between the Stars. It's actually even worse on the space portion but after all these years, I've gotten sick of every aspect of it. Ground and space.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    This discussion has been closed.