test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Borg) Red Alerts and its reward

questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
With a Borg red Alert this weekend i feel i have to ask: Does anyone think that the Red Alerts (Borg and otherwise) are worth playing?
I'm looking at the categories: Fun and Reward for expended playtime.

Personally i feel that they're a massive waste of time.
The Red Alerts were always easy and with the power creep they have become completely brain dead content. The only exception for difficulty is the Tzenketti RA with the torpedoes and that one is annoying due to the fail condition and characterization of the Tzenketti as opponents.

Reward wise the Red Alerts are also seriously under-performing despite having no cool-down. 35 marks with no option for a daily bonus is a joke especially compared to the Random TFO's.

I would argue that bringing back the daily bonus would be a start to give the Red Alerts some much needed CPR.

How does everyone else feel about them?
This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The marks return is lousy since unlike TFOs you can't get the daily marks bonus.

I find it fun, though much less so when there are very high DPS team-mates. I also miss the days when once in a while you could end up soloing the alert.

The Borg RA also used to be a good way to level up ship masteries, but didn't they remove the XP bonus?
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I completely forgot they don't give the daily bonus anymore! *facepalm*

I probably forgot because since they aren't around all the time, I'm not reminded. I really miss having them there as an option. Oh well, guess those plans of sitting down and getting some marks will be cancelled for something else then. Something likely not in STO. :(
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    questerius wrote: »
    With a Borg red Alert this weekend i feel i have to ask: Does anyone think that the Red Alerts (Borg and otherwise) are worth playing?

Nope.

For me, their appeal was being able to run multiple toons once a day through the RA to get ship XP and the daily mark bonus. Running the RA multiple times a day on one toon is inefficient. Random TFOs work better.

Also, I've pretty much given up on doing anything w/ my alt toons anymore.

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I refuse to do RA's anymore after the changes they made.
  • poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    I loved romping through Borg RAs solo. Now? XP nerfed to the ground, tiny mark reward, no dil. Did they ever reward dil? I forget. I think the first time they were out I ran them a LOT because I was levelling some rep or other and didn't enjoy the options to get marks. It was probably Competitive, I think I finished that one with Risa birds.

Since then? I've run them maybe once or twice when they pop up for nostalgia value.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Haven't done a red alert after they've cut the daily mark boxes. The XP nerf was already bad enough but after that they were completely pointless for me.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Tholian red alert was actually a bit of fun and enjoyed doing that once in a while. Too bad it's mostly gone. Oh well, more time for other games.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The primary purpose for the Red Alerts to me before the were changed to the recent model
    - Easy Source of Bonus Marks
    - Build Test against blowing up the two Tarantalus or the Tactical Cube.

The latter is technically still possible, but only if the event is actually on. The NPCs I chose for my test were basically "standard candles", but if I can't use them regularly, the "standad" has less meaning. And of course, Bonus Marks are gone.

The Borg Red Alert might still be worth it a bit, since it doesn't take all that long.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I haven't done red alerts anymore since the daily bonus is taken off it. I'm not gonna spend the time just for that little amount of marks. There are others that give much more than red alert now, which also don't take much time to do.
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I dislike the current iteration of the Red Alerts and so, rarely (mostly never) play them anymore. I preferred when I was able to head to a Borg or Tholian RA any time I felt like it and get a decent amount of marks and ship xp for my time. It was always an easy way to quickly test out a build without going into a TFO where others might be depending on your build being able to contribute, or a quick way to pick up those last few marks to complete a project.

Now, I never go there because the rewards suck and because they are only on select weekends I just never think about them anymore.

I really wish they would return the RAs back to the way they were before this stupid change.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    The Tholian RA was the best for testing overall builds with, though the Borg one was not bad either. The nasty part is that they used to be two good test scenarios that did not depend on the Foundry, and were good for testing different aspects, but now there is only one (the DSC Starbase One que) and it only tests a very narrow range of things that well. The other ques (except Romulan minefield and whatever is featured atm) are still mostly dead unless you go for a random, and of course a random is fairly useless for comparing performance.

Other than testing builds and leveling ships back in the day, the RAs are still useful for getting all those alternate reps going that are short a few points of currency but simply not worth spending much time on until after the primary reps are leveled to the point needed for whatever gear one is going for. That is especially true with the Borg RA since it is infamous for late starts that can mean the whole thing is over in twenty seconds and you still get the thirty five points.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    If you are leveling a new toon, they are a good way to get a little distraction between the episode grind. But aside from that, they were boring back before I stopped playing 4 years ago. Nothing has really changed.

I think they should leave them in as something to do when bored.

What I would rather have is the old hourly event schedule. That was so much fun. When they removed that, players that finished all the missions available, and had their reps up all the way (or already had plenty of marks and Dil) had to find ways to keep themselves entertained. I remember sitting in the game for 30-45 mins sometimes chatting with friends as we were waiting for the next event to come around. And the old Mirror event was a lot of fun too. Especially for new players/toons.

So much has changed. A lot of it is an improvement. But there is also a lot that was a step in the wrong direction. The sad thing is that as long as companies continue looking at numbers, they lose sight of what really draws players to games. And with the Foundry now gone, there is a large void where players had a way to keep themselves and other players entertained while the devs worked on the next release.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Bonus XP was removed when the Red Alerts became PVE Queues not when they became once in a Blue Moon Red Alerts. Back in the pre PVE Queue days, the Tholian was better for ship Mastery than the Borg after that Borg was better but was still a mere shell of its former XP self.

Perhaps these are some of the TFOs that should be reported as to XP offerings like they asked after they fixed 'Peril over Pahvo'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I always level a lot my ships on the Borg Red alerts, so i cannont complain besides the low frequency of the Alerts...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Before the changes Red Alerts gave 10 marks, with possible daily bonus for 65 total marks and a 30 minute cooldown.. Now they give 35 every time with no cooldown. These people don't seem to be able to do math.
    Yep,

At the old rate, you would do a Borg RA in about 5 minutes, get 75 marks, then you had to wait for 30 minutes, to get another 10 marks, meaning you got around 85 marks in 40 minutes time. Even if you picked a different mark choice box, you would max out at 150 marks.

At the new rate, you can do a Borg RA in about 5 minutes, get 35 marks, and there is no cooldown, meaning you can play it instantly again after you finish it, and get the same 35 marks every time, meaning you can get 280 marks in the same 40 minute time span.

The new RA system lets you earn anywhere from 1.9 to 3.3 times as many marks in the same time frame. Making them objectively more rewarding over time then before, you just actually have to PLAY THE GAME, something STO's userbase hates with a passion.

I play it 5 times... that's mostly the time i need to level my ships to mastery 4, and i get a lot of marks...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Before the changes Red Alerts gave 10 marks, with possible daily bonus for 65 total marks and a 30 minute cooldown.. Now they give 35 every time with no cooldown. These people don't seem to be able to do math.
    Yep,

At the old rate, you would do a Borg RA in about 5 minutes, get 75 marks, then you had to wait for 30 minutes, to get another 10 marks, meaning you got around 85 marks in 40 minutes time. Even if you picked a different mark choice box, you would max out at 150 marks.

At the new rate, you can do a Borg RA in about 5 minutes, get 35 marks, and there is no cooldown, meaning you can play it instantly again after you finish it, and get the same 35 marks every time, meaning you can get 280 marks in the same 40 minute time span.

The new RA system lets you earn anywhere from 1.9 to 3.3 times as many marks in the same time frame. Making them objectively more rewarding over time then before, you just actually have to PLAY THE GAME, something STO's userbase hates with a passion.

No surprise your response....

Do you think people really want to spam that mind numbing mission? It's so boring and even more faceroll than ISA
  • majorprankstermajorprankster Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    This just in...lots of people play and enjoy games without rewards-per-minute being the driving factor...lots of people play MMOs for an escape, for fun, rather than trying to make it a second job around ROI...

The funny part is seeing these same circular arguments for over a decade on MMO forums...it's like people never learn from history or something...

Humans are so funny to watch.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    This just in...lots of people play and enjoy games without rewards-per-minute being the driving factor...lots of people play MMOs for an escape, for fun, rather than trying to make it a second job around ROI...

The funny part is seeing these same circular arguments for over a decade on MMO forums...it's like people never learn from history or something...

Humans are so funny to watch.

This is very true. I am one of those people who play for fun. If I want to earn marks, I go where I can get my desired marks, if I want to haunt DSEs, I haunt DSEs. If I want to do my Endeavors, that's what I do.

Afterthought: If I can't get my desired TFO to pop, I don't worry about it, I find something else to do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I ran the Red Alert three times in a row last night. My Hard Endeavor was 500K Disruptor Damage. The Discovery Character runs a Phaser Build, so I just replace two Kelvin Beam Arrays with Fleet Advanced Disruptor Arrays. That is the first time I've done a Red Alert three times in a row.

Now, to another point, yes the pre-Blue Moon Red Alerts did award 10 Choice Marks plus Daily Bonus, if applicable. But that was the final iteration of the PVE Queue Red Alerts.

When they first, unannouncedly, converted Red Alerts to PVE Queues the Borg Red Alert awarded 10 Omega Marks (plus Daily Bonus, if applicable) AND a Choice Marks Box of TWO Marks (plus Daily, if applicable).

The second iteration removed the separate Omega Marks (coincided with new PVE UI), awarded a Marks Choice Box of TWO Marks (plus Daily, if applicable).

The third iteration corrected the TWO Marks Award and made it TEN.

The fourth iteration is the Blue Moon Red Alerts and you know the rest of the story...
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Can't they? Last I checked, 65 was more than 35.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    It just depends on what you're looking for:

Old system: more rewards per time playing STO, good way of gradually gathering/farming/grinding your marks.

New system: more rewards per real time passing, good way of pushing for that one thing you need with marks - when a weekend is on, of course.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    The heck with the marks reward. I miss the feeling and immersion of a "Red Alert", actually feeling like a "Red Alert". Players out doing their thing, on their way to a mission, or messing around in the exchange or whatever and suddenly the "Red Alert" is called, any and all available ships are needed ASAP to repel an incursion. Being the first to arrive when you weren't good enough to take on an enemy group by yourself but jumping into the fray anyway, hoping others would get there to assist before you got totally overwhelmed and the feeling of relief as others did arrive and jump in. Or being the one that got there just in time to save the day for someone else. Heck, although the AFK penalty kind of messed it up, even arriving there just as everything was almost over was "realistic" and immersive.

Now, although it's still named Red Alert, it's just another TFO. There's no immersion, none of the feeling of dread being the first to arrive and go up against overwhelming odds, no joy as help arrives, or feeling like a hero by arriving just in time to save someone else, no feeling of accomplishment from having dropped everything and rushing off to save the sector from an unexpected incursion. Nope, just another TFO, the only difference being that this one is only available on select weekends.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    65 in 1 run per 30 minutes is less than 35 in 10 runs per 30 minutes which you know quite well. Don't pull that disingenuous TRIBBLE with me.
    Only for someone who wants to do 10 runs in a row with a single character.
This discussion has been closed.