test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First Day Contact Event - Total Joke DEVS- Please delete for 2020

bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
There are other posts about AFKers on the First Day Contact event and this is not a rant. I'm not an AFKer nor blame them for what they do in the event. It is the way the event was originally designed so no quarrels about it. Don't rant or complain here but this is aimed to Devs to ask to delete or change this to another "FUN" event.

An idea would be to make next year's event so that we can get FREE tokens/statues from "visiting" a person or just going to Montana to witness an NPC event for first contact say something similar to the daily FREE box we get from Phoenix events (you get a free one just by talking to one of the NPCs daily).
or make the race more active...similar to winter/summer events so we can exchange real winnings (depending on rocket race ranking) for something else.

The current system obviously needs some more enticement to even participate or do any clicking on the event.

IMO, from a programming perspective it is a disaster and shameful that it is still running as is.​​
Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
Original STO beta tester.

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I used to run it avery time.. but after several full purple parts exploding constantly.. well, just AFK...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    An idea would be to make next year's event so that we can get FREE tokens/statues...

It's already free.

It's a quick thing to do on a nice-looking map, and you only have to do it 4 times. And unlike other queued events, it doesn't matter if others AFK it.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Unfortunately, this is the very model of the content they've based all the recent queues on. A timer that counts down to automatic victory coupled with some more or less unnecessary optional activity players can choose to spend their waiting time with, or not as the case often ends up being.

If they put in even the slightest chance for even the worst possible player(s) to NOT win every single time, people complain it's "too hard." And for whatever reason, Cryptic won't ever just tell them to get better. So auto-win it is.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    > IMO, from a programming perspective it is a disaster and shameful that it is still running as is.​​

Meh, it's currently more like a PVE event even though some people want it to be PVP.

Parts do matter, as covered in the other threads. They just don't guarantee a win.

I'm fine with it as it is since there is no real skill involved with searching a junk pile.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'll openly admit to AFKing this years because of the back to back events it had to be slotted into being tied to a specific date. I'll also admit that I afk'd it on one account while getting the tail end of pahvo completed on the other.

Maybe if they'd put some effort into making a decent space TFO it'd have been different but as soon as I was done my reaction was "thank F thats over" and I'm not generally inclined towards swearing in that sort of context.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    The map is awesome and I find the part of running around and collecting parts rather fun and relaxing, did I mention the map is simply amazing? I wish we could visit it all year-around.

Simply beam down to it when in orbit of Earth.. It would be the best social zone ever.

Did I mention the map is awesome?...
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    It would be nice if the map could be turned into a social zone. Add some other things to do for other prizes like EC, GPL, Dil, or even Lobi. I too like the event itself as is. I don't care if others AFK this because it affects me zero. I just find it a nice change of pace to the normal pew pew events we get. I would also not mind some tweeking so that the parts matter just a bit more. But if not then no biggie to me.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I used to run it avery time.. but after several full purple parts exploding constantly.. well, just AFK...

Must be lucky....I haven't played it to much but I've only pulled like one purple part and today I spent the whole time not getting any purples from the junk experimenting
  • aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    I think that what surprised me more this year was the machine gun reward, because I don't see how or why this item needed to be in the game? After the Bozeman Impulse Engine last year, I had thought that another ship equipment piece would follow in turn?

I like the map too and will run the event, but doubt that any of my toons will equip the Tommy Gun.
    I think that what surprised me more this year was the machine gun reward, because I don't see how or why this item needed to be in the game? After the Bozeman Impulse Engine last year, I had thought that another ship equipment piece would follow in turn?

I like the map too and will run the event, but doubt that any of my toons will equip the Tommy Gun.

The Borg can't adapt to physical damage. Picard used a tommy gun in the First Contact movie where we met Zephram Cochrame.

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Parts do matter, as covered in the other threads. They just don't guarantee a win.

I think the problem for most players isn't parts not mattering (they indeed do) but winning not mattering (same reward for AFK blow up and run-around all purple super rocket). Given that you have a 1 minute intro which you will force AFK, and no bad conscience because you don't ruin anybody else's chances to complete the queue, I can see people wanting to AFK it, and on average I'd say about half, maybe a little less, in my queues have been doing it. Add the above mentioned amount of special TFO events (3 weeks, 1 week break, 3 weeks, this one coming in parallel) there's also certainly a certain tiredness of doing event stuff instead of normal gameplay with some players.

Personally, I spend the first half (or a bit less than that) of the collecting period doing admiralty, still enough time to collect enough stuff to go all purple (luck dependent) and not run out of junk on the final part.
    Did I mention the map is awesome?...

You did, but you were correct in doing so, it indeed is a very nice place to hang aroung and would be great to actually visit in a more touristy way.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    My personal opinion is that anyone who would demand that the devs 'delete' next year's FCD because they don't like it, in fact, hate it (to demand it be removed) are not very sensible.

If you hate it *that* much, there's nothing in the game forcing you to play it when it's going on. It's up to you to click that little box to get included. So, don't click the little box. Problem solved.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • majorprankstermajorprankster Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that anyone who would demand that the devs 'delete' next year's FCD because they don't like it, in fact, hate it (to demand it be removed) are not very sensible.

If you hate it *that* much, there's nothing in the game forcing you to play it when it's going on. It's up to you to click that little box to get included. So, don't click the little box. Problem solved.

I love that plenty of sensible people like @echatty play STO.

The dramedy is strong with some people and reasonable discourse is a dying thing...

It is fascinating to me that so many people are trying to become 'binary' like computers about _everything_...
    No in-bewteen, no reasonable middle-ground, either full on hate or full on love...

Useless dramedy, around and around in circles...ah, the Internet.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    there are not many events like this for us pacifists. this one, and the new pavo space was really cool so thanks for that team
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why stop there? Why not just give you whatever the event reward is for free without even needing to login and play the game?

That just wouldn't be fun. Not to me. Others who are too lazy to even AFK it may feel differently.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    You get reward no matter what you do.
    It takes the same amount of time to complete no matter what you do.
    No surprise people just stand around and do their doffing/admiralty during that time.

IMO, the event is fine the way it is. Better to have an event where AFKers have 0% impact on other's results than in the 14 day events where an AFKer can negatively impact the run.
    Why stop there? Why not just give you whatever the event reward is for free without even needing to login and play the game?
    My thoughts exactly. It's like a login bonus, but you have to sit in a map for 15 minutes to collect it. What's the point of making that beautiful map and programming the rocket-building contest, if all of it does absolutely nothing in the end?
    warpangel wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. It's like a login bonus, but you have to sit in a map for 15 minutes to collect it. What's the point of making that beautiful map and programming the rocket-building contest, if all of it does absolutely nothing in the end?

What's the point of the Summer jetpack flight if it's almost impossible to lose and your performance doesn't matter?

It's fun for some of us, and Cryptic wants you to spend more time in the game than just login - click - logout.

What's the point of the Summer jetpack flight if it's almost impossible to lose and your performance doesn't matter?
    You get a ship token for doing it.
    It's fun for some of us, and Cryptic wants you to spend more time in the game than just login - click - logout.
    Then why give a reward only for the "login - click - logout," instead of the something more they supposedly want us to do?
    edited April 2019

Then why give a reward only for the "login - click - logout," instead of the something more they supposedly want us to do?

You get a Tommy Token for First Contact.

And with First Contact Day it's Login - Click - (( do event or AFK for X minutes )) - Logout

So not too different from the Summer event.

I'm fine with Cryptic changing First Contact to require actually building a ship to get your token, but I'm also fine leaving it as-is.

You get a Tommy Token for First Contact.

And with First Contact Day it's Login - Click - (( do event or AFK for X minutes )) - Logout

So not too different from the Summer event.
    You get a tommygun token for being in the map when the mission ends. Actually doing anything gets you nothing. That's a pretty big difference.

That's not to say the summer/winter token "races" are particularly engaging, either. But at least you do get rewarded for doing something, rather than just for being there.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Last night, I did my final run of First Contact Day. There were only four participants, two of which were AFK. I had two VR and one Uncommon part at launch time. The other participant that actually picked up parts had three Uncommon. Funny thing about the actual launch, not one of the rockets showed any progress on the flight bar.

My score was 19, the others either 18 or 4. It seemed broken during this run.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User

um.. because the tommy gun has been requested EVERY YEAR for 8 years??
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • majorprankstermajorprankster Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    @bubblegirl2015 - "This might be getting closest to a DOOOM and gloom thread after all.
    Might be time to shut down this thread? Lots of emotional anger in here. After all this is just a game folks...If you don't like something nobody is forcing anyone into anything. I have been long enough here to see the doom and gloom when this game went F2P, Dead of PvP and Delta rising (gosh loved those signature postings) among other stuff that served to evolve this game.

Maybe is time to chill out, take a walk in the real world and worry about where things go into perspective. Just saying just a bunch of projected pixels not worth building a life around it. You can quote me on that one.​​"

Hmmm...
    Well, Bubblegirl rarely posts anything positive. It's been my experience with her that she likes to complain. A lot.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.