test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Handguns in Star Trek

Comments

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Not even that - what we have shown with the Tommy Gun is that it always takes time for the Borg to adapt to one weapon. It does not show they can't. Or that it would take very long. Because it takes at least 5 dead Borg before the Borg adapt to phasers. Maybe it also needs 5 dead borg to adapt to bullets.

This is 100% inaccurate as the amount of deaths required before they adapt to the Phasers has been shown to be inconsistent on screen. The only places that any minimum kill number exists is in games like STO and other Trek games, and that's only because it's required for game mechanics to function. On screen the number of kills before the Borg adapt varies from scene to scene, with some being more than 5, and some being as few as 1.

For examples in the episode Best of Both Worlds where Picard is assimilated, we see several scenes that demonstrate this inconsistency. In the scene where Picard is kidnapped from the bridge of the Enterprise, Worf gets only one kill before the Borg adapt to his phaser pistol. Later in the episode an away team of Worf, Data, Commander Shelby, and Dr Crusher beam over to the Borg cube to try and locate Picard and make the Borg cube drop out of warp. During this scene they are forced to fire on several drones attempting to stop them. If you count out the phaser shots before Shelby says they've adapted there are 8 shots in total that can be heard meaning 8 kills. Then if you take into account the scene you mentioned, there are 5 shots. If we're going to use these scenes to say there is a minimum number of kills required then that number would be only 1 kill required per the bridge scene. Thus the only logical conclusion at this juncture is that there is no minimum kill number required based on the available scenes we have.

In terms of bullets or melee weapons, in any scene where these have been used against the Borg they have been unable to adapt. Thus we can safely conclude at this point they are either unable to adapt to their use, or simply haven't had enough time to do so. If there was a scene that showed them adapting to bullets or melee attacks, even in just a single instance, then we could easily come to the second of the 2 conclusions, that they've not had enough time. Since all scenes we have at the moment have shown them being unable to adapt even once, the safest conclusion is the first one that they are unable to adapt. If something comes out in the future showing them adapting that's one thing, but right now all the evidence we have available shows them being unable to adapt to it. Thus another reason why I believe adding more kinetic/physical damage type items to the game is a great idea.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, given a lot of aliens-of-the-week couldn't be stunned anyway, even at the highest setting...that's why i don't bother with it - i shoot to kill and take them out of the fight PERMANENTLY​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    they had personal shields in TAS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The Klingons still use Bat'leths and several other forms of bladed weaponry which are out of date even by our standards today. The fact that a major power in the quadrant still uses various types of bladed weaponry like that shows that guns wouldn't necessarily have to be rare. I also have a hard time believing that a major galactic power at that time wouldn't use a real world gun type of weapon if they knew it would be effective, such as against the Borg. We saw how easily Picard roflstomped them with that Tommy Gun. If we're going to mix real world logic and game/show logic, then it would take some major major evidence to get me to believe that the federation or some other galactic power wouldn't use a real world gun or have something similar on standby just incase. Real world guns are little more than a metallic projectile propelled by the chemical reaction of exploding/expanding gun powder.

Bladed weapons still work and make sense for a warrior race like the Klingons.

The Federation is not the type to keep old-fashioned firearms around for anything other than holodeck simulations. After all, you can't stun someone with a shotgun to the face.

Former VP Cheney may disagree with you. Though, to be fair, was it a stunning or merely an attention getter? If nothing else Harry Whittington looked at VP Cheney like Whittington was owed an explanation.

Incidentally, four phasers with different random frequency modulations being fired at the Borg will produce more Borg corpses than four phasers operating on the same modulation.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Incidentally, four phasers with different random frequency modulations being fired at the Borg will produce more Borg corpses than four phasers operating on the same modulation.

On the other hand... imagine the bad luck if you remod to a frequency that one of the other three had already used?

As of right now... the effectiveness of balastic weaponry is rather unknown. Soft Canon says that the TR-116 was actually quite effective in saving the USS Budapest during the Battle of Sector 001. Hard Canon shows that bullets are effective.

As for "adapting" to bullets... I don't see how you can adapt to getting hit with a physical object. It could also be that the Borg just don't consider the idea of Projectile Weapons being a threat at all. The technology is backwards. No benefit to the Collective at all. Utterly useless compared to energy weapons, which are far more prevelant and easier to defend against through adaptation. Basically... the perfect weapon to use against a species that easily develops defenses against energy weapons.

While a case can be made based on Fistful of Datas, that was also a case of inginuity and... luck. If I remember correctly, while Worf was successful in creating a personal shield, its effective up time was rather short before it would burn out. meaning he could realistically only survive one, maybe two shots before he was vulnerable.

Making a personal shield that protects against balistic weapons would probably require a great deal more power. Would be easier to just start beefing up the body armor on Drones. We can't really reference any other franchise that has personal shields because of the variable of available power sources. SG-1's Goa'uld Personal Shield was probably Naquada powered, as most Goa'uld tech is. The Personal Shield that was seen in Stargate Atlantis on Rodney is probably running on some kind of miniaturized Zero Point Module. As of right now... I know of no equivelent large scale energy source that small in Star Trek. Protecting against Energy is easy. Protecting against balistics is hard. And before anyone says anything about space based balistics... again... available power source. A Starship has access to its warp core, which is FAR more powerful than any personal sized devices.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    shields are just forcefields...and forcefields are MORE than capable of stopping physical objects - if they weren't, they wouldn't be used in ship security or brigs​​

#LegalizeAwoo

shields are just forcefields...and forcefields are MORE than capable of stopping physical objects - if they weren't, they wouldn't be used in ship security or brigs​​

AGAIN... access to power. Force Fields are powered by a ship's EPS grid. A personal shield has to rely on a portable power source that isn't tied to a warp core.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Not even that - what we have shown with the Tommy Gun is that it always takes time for the Borg to adapt to one weapon. It does not show they can't. Or that it would take very long. Because it takes at least 5 dead Borg before the Borg adapt to phasers. Maybe it also needs 5 dead borg to adapt to bullets.

This is 100% inaccurate as the amount of deaths required before they adapt to the Phasers has been shown to be inconsistent on screen. The only places that any minimum kill number exists is in games like STO and other Trek games, and that's only because it's required for game mechanics to function. On screen the number of kills before the Borg adapt varies from scene to scene, with some being more than 5, and some being as few as 1.

For examples in the episode Best of Both Worlds where Picard is assimilated, we see several scenes that demonstrate this inconsistency. In the scene where Picard is kidnapped from the bridge of the Enterprise, Worf gets only one kill before the Borg adapt to his phaser pistol. Later in the episode an away team of Worf, Data, Commander Shelby, and Dr Crusher beam over to the Borg cube to try and locate Picard and make the Borg cube drop out of warp. During this scene they are forced to fire on several drones attempting to stop them. If you count out the phaser shots before Shelby says they've adapted there are 8 shots in total that can be heard meaning 8 kills. Then if you take into account the scene you mentioned, there are 5 shots. If we're going to use these scenes to say there is a minimum number of kills required then that number would be only 1 kill required per the bridge scene. Thus the only logical conclusion at this juncture is that there is no minimum kill number required based on the available scenes we have.

In terms of bullets or melee weapons, in any scene where these have been used against the Borg they have been unable to adapt. Thus we can safely conclude at this point they are either unable to adapt to their use, or simply haven't had enough time to do so. If there was a scene that showed them adapting to bullets or melee attacks, even in just a single instance, then we could easily come to the second of the 2 conclusions, that they've not had enough time. Since all scenes we have at the moment have shown them being unable to adapt even once, the safest conclusion is the first one that they are unable to adapt. If something comes out in the future showing them adapting that's one thing, but right now all the evidence we have available shows them being unable to adapt to it. Thus another reason why I believe adding more kinetic/physical damage type items to the game is a great idea.

It is definitely not a "safe" conclusion that they can't adapt. Because if you're wrong, it could be very catastrophic.
    It is notable that Picard spends a lot of time tweaking his phaser rifle so he can shoot at more Borg with it later, instead of programming the replicators to produce a few early 21st century assault rifles. So I think Picard at least is not making the assumption the Borg cannot adapt to bullets. Or the replicators are down.

Of course, that has nothing to do with whether STO should add more kinetic or physical weapons to the game. Whatever floats your boats, there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    The Federation is not the type to keep old-fashioned firearms around for anything other than holodeck simulations.

Not entirely true. Kirk had a collection of antique firearms on display in this home in TWOK.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Worf took all 6 rounds from a revolver, and the "Data" firing it was "fanning the hammer" as it is called achieving nearly the same firing rate as an automatic pistol.

My memory of that episode is a bit rusty, but still... don't think it lasted long after that.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, even a rifle can be 'fanned'

https://youtu.be/PAwTOFeNfAM
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Wow, this conversation has become something far different than I thought it would. I never suggested that handguns were the ultimate Borg killing weapon. In fact, I would expect that any handgun would be weaker than a shotgun or a Tommy gun. I only want handguns (or at least one) in the game for the novelty of it. They could be the weakest weapon in the game, for all I care. I also want to restate that handguns were actually used in Star Trek. They were also used in actual combat, not just in the holodeck. Sulu had a collection of them, and evidently so did Kirk, so some characters owned the genuine article. I think it makes sense that some in Star Fleet could own handguns, maybe even alien races like Romulans and Klingons who may have such a fascination. I also think that, if the need ever presented itself, guns and ammo could be made in the replicator. They would be handy for temporal agents, who could not bring phasers back through time. Really, though, I just want to be able to put them in the hands of my 20th century themed alts, like my Fox Mulder character. I also wouldn't see handguns as replacing phasers, disruptors or other energy weapons, especially set weapons. But, being able to use them, at least occasionally, would be cool.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As for "adapting" to bullets... I don't see how you can adapt to getting hit with a physical object. It could also be that the Borg just don't consider the idea of Projectile Weapons being a threat at all. The technology is backwards. No benefit to the Collective at all. Utterly useless compared to energy weapons, which are far more prevelant and easier to defend against through adaptation. Basically... the perfect weapon to use against a species that easily develops defenses against energy weapons.
    Add an extra outer layer of tritanium armoring? Then the people using ballistic weapons need to rework their weapons to penetrate the tritanium armor. :p Yes, there is canon precedent. In the "save the whales" movie, they piloted the stolen B'rel into the path of a harpoon gun designed to kill 100 ton whales. The harpoon just bounced off the hull.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Add an extra outer layer of tritanium armoring? Then the people using ballistic weapons need to rework their weapons to penetrate the tritanium armor. :p Yes, there is canon precedent. In the "save the whales" movie, they piloted the stolen B'rel into the path of a harpoon gun designed to kill 100 ton whales. The harpoon just bounced off the hull.

The thing there is, borg drones, especially elites, use a tritanium frame. And the Federation uses it for bulkhead material for the Galaxy and Intrepid-class, and raven-type ships.

The problem here is, penetrating it. That is still a bit of an impossibility. Since, as of the 24th, the Federation still had no means of melting tritanium, not even with weapons fire. So not only would it work well against ballistic weapons, it would also work extremely well against melee and energy weapons. The problem with it is, like neutronium, it would be so heavy that the person wearing it would just be a statue. This weight of their tritanium frames also explains why borg drones are so slow.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @trennan said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > As for "adapting" to bullets... I don't see how you can adapt to getting hit with a physical object. It could also be that the Borg just don't consider the idea of Projectile Weapons being a threat at all. The technology is backwards. No benefit to the Collective at all. Utterly useless compared to energy weapons, which are far more prevelant and easier to defend against through adaptation. Basically... the perfect weapon to use against a species that easily develops defenses against energy weapons.
    >
    >
    >
    > Add an extra outer layer of tritanium armoring? Then the people using ballistic weapons need to rework their weapons to penetrate the tritanium armor. :p Yes, there is canon precedent. In the "save the whales" movie, they piloted the stolen B'rel into the path of a harpoon gun designed to kill 100 ton whales. The harpoon just bounced off the hull.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The thing there is, borg drones, especially elites, use a tritanium frame. And the Federation uses it for bulkhead material for the Galaxy and Intrepid-class, and raven-type ships.
    >
    > The problem here is, penetrating it. That is still a bit of an impossibility. Since, as of the 24th, the Federation still had no means of melting tritanium, not even with weapons fire. So not only would it work well against ballistic weapons, it would also work extremely well against melee and energy weapons. The problem with it is, like neutronium, it would be so heavy that the person wearing it would just be a statue. This weight of their tritanium frames also explains why borg drones are so slow.

Descent Pt. 1 & 2 say otherwise. Borg not controlled by the Collective were fast and vicious.

Yes, but you said it there, "not controlled." So, one has to considered the personal customization here. The first step to making anything faster, is to make it lighter.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    In the "save the whales" movie, they piloted the stolen B'rel into the path of a harpoon gun designed to kill 100 ton whales. The harpoon just bounced off the hull.

To be fair... a harpoon isn't designed to pierce any kind of metal. Its meant to pierce and hook flesh. So it won't have the power to punch through even modern military hulls (just in case someone tries to counter with wooden boats).

Wouldn't have mattered if the B'rel was made with Tritanium or a modern titanium alloy. That harpoon wasn't gonna pierce the hull. ;)

Also... as for armoring drones with tritanium... there are still vulnerable points due to biology. Also... TR-116 transporter mod.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,364 Arc User
    The Federation is not the type to keep old-fashioned firearms around for anything other than holodeck simulations.

Not entirely true. Kirk had a collection of antique firearms on display in this home in TWOK.
    Kirk also owned a sailboat. The Federation as a whole didn't therefore abandon impulse drive to use solar sails.

Hobbyists can have any of a number of things in their possession due to their hobbies. My uncle collected swords, but that didn't mean the US armed forces started arming their personnel with blades.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    In the "save the whales" movie, they piloted the stolen B'rel into the path of a harpoon gun designed to kill 100 ton whales. The harpoon just bounced off the hull.
    To be fair... a harpoon isn't designed to pierce any kind of metal. Its meant to pierce and hook flesh. So it won't have the power to punch through even modern military hulls (just in case someone tries to counter with wooden boats).

Wouldn't have mattered if the B'rel was made with Tritanium or a modern titanium alloy. That harpoon wasn't gonna pierce the hull. ;)

Also... as for armoring drones with tritanium... there are still vulnerable points due to biology. Also... TR-116 transporter mod.
    A tommy gun isn't designed to penetrate metal either. :p Not 100% sure on the TR
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Ballistic weapons could be used easily by the Federation. If you put a small replicator in the gun and turn the clips into power packs. I once wrote a Halo/Star Trek Crossover Fanfiction where they put a replicator in an assault rifle and used the clips to power the replicator. In the story they had enough power to replicate 600 rounds, 60 at a time. When it was empty the character simply racked the bolt to trigger a replication sequence, 3 seconds later he had a full clip again. Carry 6 of these clips and you've got six times as much ammunition but it's much much lighter.
    I feel like I've read something like that before...
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Actually, in the US Army, a soldier is allowed to bring his own personal weapon into combat. I know of a man who did a tour of duty in Iraq who brought his own 9mm Hi-Point pistol with him. The Hi-Point is considered a low quality pistol by civilian standards, never mind military. I'm pretty sure they would have let him bring a blade with him, if he asked. Also, I think some other countries do still employ swords. Getting back to Star Trek, the KDF do not issue bladed weapons to their warriors, however, said warriors bring their own weapons into battle. A Klingon warrior's dagger is decorated with three symbols; one for his father or father's house, one for his mother or mother's house, and a symbol that represents the warrior himself. In my original post, I never said that firearms were standard issue. I just said they were used in Star Trek, even by the crew. So, they should be available in the game. STO already has a shotgun and a Tommy gun, so why not at least one pistol? Non-standard gear is a thing in STO. We can have our captains wear a suit and tie, or even a baseball uniform (which I might do, if there was a baseball bat melee weapon). I have also seen some captains using some ridiculous gear from Q's not-Christmas event. So, I don't think that one of the handguns that were actually used in Star Trek would be an unreasonable request for the game.
This discussion has been closed.